Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Just so no one thinks Bill is losing the plot, last Friday the full explanation for that picture was here......

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/08/belichick_shows.html
    During Wednesday night's in-stadium practice, Aaron Hernandez got tangled up with Jerod Mayo during 7-on-7 work and took a tumble. He got up favoring his elbow, and Belichick gave him a kiss on his boo-boo.

"I had a little bruise on my elbow and I was whining about it, and he was just showing me the love of a father figure and he gave me a kiss on the elbow," Hernandez said today after practice.

Did you ask for him to make it better?

"No, I didn't ask him," he said, smiling. "I damn sure liked it though. Felt some love."

That's sort of sweet.

I suppose who can blame Belichick really, Hernandez has been amazing during training camp and is our most versatile offensive weapon. So too right if he's precious for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I only watched parts of the Pats pre-season game last, but i loved Chandler Jones!! He could be the pass rusher we have been missing for years, so excited for his future as a Patriot. If he can add 20lbs of muscle without losing speed and agility in the next year or two, he could be one of the best!

Very disappointed for Fletcher, i'm always rooting for the hard working UDFA and it looked like he was about ready to play a major part of the defense this year, hopefully he doesnt have to be put in IR but it looks likely.

On Defense, Safeties, Chung and Gregory looked good. Corners still need a bit of work but hopefully with a better pass rush, secondary will improve.

Offense looked average at best for all 3 strings. Solder had a bad night.

Very hard to draw any conclusions from watching bits of a preseason game, but one thing is for sure and thats Chandler Jones!! (hopefully :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Yeah, i was impressed with Jones. The 2 RB's were impressive too.

Need Mankins back, the O-Line didn't look great at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

infacteh wrote: »
    Need Mankins back, the O-Line didn't look great at all!

They've really been taking a slating. Hopefully not as bad as being made out to be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I thought Shane Vereen looked exceptional for the carries he had. Ridley looked very goood too, imagine what they could both do with Mankins and Waters back in the lineup.

• Advertisement

Just got a chance to see the Saints game, the O line worried me in camp and it worries me even more now after the Saints game. I don’t like seeing Brady getting doubled teamed on a sack. The offense had a pretty poor night overall I thought. The only positive on the offensive side of the line was our talented young running backs. Ridely was solid on his plays, carrying the ball tight and high. Vereen probably just shaded though on the night, making some explosive runs and 2 receptions for 34 yards. He had a poor start to camp so it’s good to see him playing in the zone now.

The D certainly had the better night without a doubt. They certainly looked like a much more aggressive, dynamic unit than last year at times. Hightower and Jones did very well, but I’d give the defensive performance of the night to Jones. He made some sweet plays, some people think he needs to bulk up a bit. I don’t think it’s an issue because he just oozes talent.

Chung and Gregory are looking like a good unit in the Secondary, but I still have my worries about our cornerbacks McCourty and Arrington. Their coverage at times was a bit non-existent. Hoyer won the backup QB battle on the night. Mallet has the talent and a great arm, but he still puts too much velocity into his passes which causes most of his incompletions. Early days yet still only preseason, but the main concern for me right now is that O line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Couple of thoughts from that game after a few beers tonight.

Ridley looked really good, Vereen looked great but you have to remember his carries were against the trash/average guys. Woodhead's blocking was really good and he has improved out of sight in that department since last year.

I thought Jones looked really, really good and Hightower did alright but the D performance of the night was Gregory without any doubt for me.

The OL worried me a lot. I understand we are missing some important personnel but it just shows what we are like should injuries occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Plaxico Burress is in for a work out today, cant imagine we would sign he tho..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

me89 wrote: »
    Plaxico Burress is in for a work out today, cant imagine we would sign he tho..

I hate Burress but he wouldn't be a bad signing if we get him on a minimal contract.

And my thoughts on Thursday game:

Both Running backs look solid and I really like Vereen have always said it but as Eagle Eye said he got time against the extreme back ups. So it will be interesting to see if he can keep up the intensity. QBs no sense discussing with Tommy still the starter. Hard to tell how good our WR and TE were as lets face it our QBs barely got the ball off.

As for our Oline I must be the only one who isnt completely worried. The biggest problem with offensive linemen is finding 5 guys on the same page and our biggest problem Thursday wasn't ability it was assignments being messed up. A couple of times Dlinemen were let through due to bad communication between all 5 of the linemen. I think as the preseason goes on BB and Josh will find 5 guys who will be solid for the start of the season. Solder was also our biggest problem and Smith made him look like a rookie again but I do think Solder just needs to settle in at LT and he will be fine come the start of the season. I have high hopes to be honest of the guys we have.

Our defense is looking a lot better and Jones was outstanding and Hightower had a good game also and the more reps he gets the better he will become at a NFL level. I think by the season comes both those guys will be ready to rock and roll. Our DBs especially Gregory and Chung look sharp but like someone else said our corners look off pace. Hopefully our front 7 will take the pressure off our Secondary when the season starts.

I said on another thread i am not a big fan of the pre-season and judging players as lets face it, its good for getting reps in full kit and getting back into the season and for rookies fighting for their spots. But there is some potential there and I am more optimistic this season with our team than I was last year and we made a bowl last season :D

CoachTO wrote: »
    QBs no sense discussing with Tommy still the starter.

Of course it's a given that Brady is the starter. But I wouldn't take anything for granted in Football, so the back up QB battle between Mallet and Hoyer is very important imo. Brady got sacked 32 times last season which is pretty shocking and that was with Light, Mankins and Waters all playing in the team. That was the most sacks he's taken since 2003. So now throw a very weakened offensive line into the equation and I'm pretty worried about the coming season. With that in mind having a strong, competent back up QB is more important this season that it has been for a very long time.

• Advertisement

Of course it's a given that Brady is the starter. But I wouldn't take anything for granted in Football, so the back up QB battle between Mallet and Hoyer is very important imo. Brady got sacked 32 times last season which is pretty shocking and that was with Light, Mankins and Waters all playing in the team. That was the most sacks he's taken since 2003. So now throw a very weakened offensive line into the equation and I'm pretty worried about the coming season. With that in mind having a strong, competent back up QB is more important this season that it has been for a very long time.

I should have been more clear I dont see a competition between Hoyer and Mallett. Hoyer will backup Brady simple as. Hence with Brady being healthy there is no sense dwelling on the backup. If it comes to having a backup starting it can go either way and you would hope whoever does it gets the support needed but lets face it we got lucky with Cassel in the sense our coaches did a good job preparing him. Whether its Hoyer or Mallet Josh and Bill have to hope at this point all the work the two did as backups over the last seasons is good enough to at least be competitive. Preseason and camp and practice only tells you so much about the backup guys. Until they step on the field as starters it could go either way. And until Brady goes down though we will never know. I wont dwell on something that hasnt happened yet.

I'll wait and see how the rest of the preseason performances play out. But I agree that it is likely that Hoyer will be number 2. I am dwelling a lot on a worse case scenario with Brady. I think a lot of Pats fans are also in a similar boat. Record sacks and a very weak O line with poor cover, leads to this worrying. The running game will be critical for us and I think we will surprise a lot of teams with our running game this season. Hopefully Ridley and Vereen will continue the very good form they've shown so far, because it's gonna be a big season for them.

I'll wait and see how the rest of the until preseason performances play out. But I agree that it is likely that Hoyer will be number 2. I am dwelling a lot on a worse case scenario with Brady. I think a lot of Pats fans are also in a similar boat. Record sacks and a very weak O line with poor cover, leads to this worrying. The running game will be critical for us and I think we will surprise a lot of teams with our running game this season. Hopefully Ridley and Vereen will continue the very good form they've shown so far, because it's gonna be a big season for them.

The way I look at it if Brady goes down we need to accept that whatever QB goes in there wont be Tom Brady. Honestly neither Hoyer or Mallett in my eyes are the next Franchise QB. They may become decent serviceable NFL QBs the way Cassel did but we will have to face facts that Bill and Co trade up for the next big thing or find the next big thing low down or miracles happen and Hoyer or Mallet step up big time.

At the end of it all if Brady goes down the rest of the team will also have to rally around whatever QB goes in there and give him an easier task than the mountain he will have to climb to fill Brady's boots.

I have accepted that now so I don't get to upset if Brady is the lynch pin that has made us this succesful and our coaching staff cant get the same results we are so used to in the last 11 years.

I share your views on Hoyer and Mallett not being the next franchise QB. As you said, unless they really step big time in performance it ain't gonna happen. I think Mallett with his youth and bigger arm certainly holds more trade value than Hoyer I feel.

A fit and well Brady will be playing for a long time yet, I say we could wait another 2-3 years before moving on an heir to Brady.Then bed him in for 2 seasons under the master guidance.

Regardless of what happens this season, draft priorities next season should be strengthening an aging O Line, finding a young talented deep threat WR and getting another talented young CB to push McCourty and Arrington.

Logan Mankins is in uniform and warming up before practise as we speak.

Praise the fúcking Lord :D

I thought Mankins injured the ACL during the SB, but it looks like he is even tougher than we think.....
    FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Four-time Pro Bowl left guard Logan Mankins was back on the practice field for the first time in training camp Sunday and he confirmed what had been previously reported -- he played in the Super Bowl with a torn right ACL.

Turns out he played in more than the Super Bowl with the injury.

Mankins said Sunday that he tore the ACL during the regular season and wasn't expecting the results of his end-of-season MRI.

"I knew something was wrong with it, I didn’t know to what extent. It was a little surprising," he said.

How could Mankins not have known he was playing through a torn ACL?

"I could still run, so there was no reason to sit out. There were no MRIs or anything, so we never knew exactly what was hurt," he relayed. "If you can still run and play, there is no reason to go see a doctor, right?"

Asked about his ability to absorb pain, Mankins said it was "pretty good", before joking on the secret to his success.

"Put a brace on, tape an aspirin to it and go," he cracked.

:eek:

They don't come any tougher, but as much as we need him back, I just hope they don't rush him back too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

infacteh wrote: »

Could be a good signing if he is healthy and fit again but that back problem and his size wont help. Hopefully if he signs we can get 1 good season out of him.

Wasn't Chad Clifton released by the Packers in April after failing his physical? It's bad enough having Sebastian Vollmer on the O line with a dodgy back. The last thing we now need is another guy on the line with a dodgy back. If they sign him I would be seriously worried, because I would interpret it as desperation/ panic stations.

Wasn't Chad Clifton released by the Packers in April after failing his physical? It's bad enough having Sebastian Vollmer on the O line with a dodgy back. The last thing we now need is another guy on the line with a dodgy back. If they sign him I would be seriously worried, because I would interpret it as desperation/ panic stations.

Yup exact same issue as Vollmer and Clifton is fatter and heavier than Vollmer so you can be almost guaranteed unless he dropped some of that fat his back will be an issue. He is quoted back in May as saying he is working out hard after the Packers cut him and his back feels a lot better. Time will tell on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Would be great to get a season out of Clifton.

Any news on Waters? Also, I'd love to see if we can get Andre Carter back, but the torn ligament in the knee worries me. I'd rather Carter than picking up every available wideout/tight end!

Any news on Waters?

Nothing, but I suspect he will back once the season starts. Nick Caserio didn't have much to add today.

Some roster changes: unsurprisingly WR Britt Davis has been released. Patriots linebacker Dane Fletcher cleared waivers today, he is now on the team's injured reserve list, which does not count against the 90-man roster limit. The Pats roster now stands at 88.

Nothing, but I suspect he will back once the season starts. Nick Caserio didn't have much to add today.

Some roster changes: unsurprisingly WR Britt Davis has been released. Patriots linebacker Dane Fletcher cleared waivers today, he is now on the team's injured reserve list, which does not count against the 90-man roster limit. The Pats roster now stands at 88.

Waters is one of the old breed who hate camp. I'd say he will be back once the season starts also. Give us a solid season hopefully and retire. Its funny read a few Pats forums and articles and some folk unhappy with his awol act but way i look at it if he comes back and gives us the same type of season he did last season who gives a fook. For what its worth he was out of shape during last season also and it didnt affect his performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

How is Marcus Cannon doing? I hope him and Mark Herzlich make a decent splash this year.

How is Marcus Cannon doing?

Well he had a pretty forgettable preseason game, but then so did the entire O line. Aside from that, he's had a pretty solid training camp overall and hasn't missed a session. He looks to be in good shape and really benefiting from his first proper training camp and preseason prep. At times he has displayed some impressive strength during camp. Which I find particularly encouraging after all he went through last year.

Pats to sign Olympic Silver medalist Jeff Demps who was a RB at Florida also. This dude is fast as fook

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19815237/report-silver-medalist-jeff-demps-to-sign-with-patriots
    Jeff Demps is a sprinter, an Olympic silver medalist and a former Florida Gators running back. And by Friday afternoon, he'll be the newest member of the New England Patriots, according to Kevin O'Donnell of Fox 13 Sports in Tampa Bay.
    NFL Network's Ian Rapoport tweets that, per one of Demps' agents, the sprinter will indeed sign with New England. Meanwhile, the Tampa Bay Times' Stephen Holder tweets this: "There (are) rumors to the contrary, but Jeff Demps' agent says client has not yet signed w(ith) an NFL club." It's unclear if Rapoport and Holder spoke to the same agent.
    The Buccaneers were also very interested in Demps, who rushed for 2,470 yards and 23 touchdowns while in Gainesville. O'Donnell writes that Demps ultimately decided on New England because it was a better fit for his skills, adding that the "Bucs made a strong push for (him)" and that "they had been in discussions with his representatives for months."

Demps didn't attend the Senior Bowl or February's combine or any other pre-draft workouts, but as the old saying goes "You can't coach speed." Instead, he focused on the summer Olympics where he didn't get a chance to compete in the 4x100 but still earned a medal for his participation during prelims.

"I just wanted to come out and have fun and enjoy the moment," he said, according to USA Track and Field. "There was no pressure. I was just excited."

With that chapter of his life now closed, Demps is looking ahead to a new career that also involves running as fast as he can. Except this time, there will be guys trying to tackle him.

Wow, was not expecting that. Always preferred Demps to Rainey at Florida. Unbelievable, I remember watch this with my jaw on the floor, and no, it's not sped up at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

CoachTO wrote: »
    Pats to sign Olympic Silver medalist Jeff Demps who was a RB at Florida also. This dude is fast as fook

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19815237/report-silver-medalist-jeff-demps-to-sign-with-patriots

Exactly what the Pats needed. Another weapon on offense. :eek:

Wow, was not expecting that. Always preferred Demps to Rainey at Florida. Unbelievable, I remember watch this with my jaw on the floor, and no, it's not sped up at all!

Two words sum up that clip - HOLY FúCK! :eek:. Just imagine him running a Kick Off return. :D

Belichick and Nick Caserio unsurprisingly gave nothing away in Thursdays press conferences, when asked about Dempsey. No official confirmation yet but multiple sources are stating a deal has been done alright.

• Advertisement

Jeffs Demps signing finally confirmed by the Pats at 2AM Irish time. Terms of the contract were not announced.

A nice ending or a nasty ending to camp all depended on the young shoulders of Jones earlier.....
    FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Wrapping up the 23rd and final day of training camp and the key storylines:

Chandler Jones delivers for his teammates. In a team-building moment, Bill Belichick had first-round draft choice Chandler Jones stand at the goal-line and field a 50-yard punt from Zoltan Mesko. Jones caught the ball over his head, had it come down near his facemask, before he tumbled to the ground and maintained possession. For his efforts, the entire team erupted in celebration after they earned the night off from meetings, making Jones the most popular Patriot of all. "I owe him dinner. I'm gonna take him to dinner myself actually," cornerback Kyle Arrington said.

Love that stuff Bill often pulls outta the bag for the team. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement