Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Tyms impressed last night. Thought that was TD. Not sure it hit the ground. He reacted well to make the catch at the second attempt. In a regular season game, I reckon that's be overturned for a TD on reply.
    But maybe he's another Sims (that we saw from last years preseason).

The running game was terrible. Not sure the OL opened a running lane all night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

You think Brady still has love for the game?

http://instagram.com/p/rbBzpEuT8z/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Love his energy and that's what makes him great, always wants 200% from himself and everyone else and always wants the win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Nobody will be trading for Mallet after that. Colt McCoy played far better than him!!!

I know it's only the first game of preseason, but the OL didn't inspire confidence, it could be our biggest weakness this year. Especially with Scarnechia gone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

infacteh wrote: »
    Nobody will be trading for Mallet after that. Colt McCoy played far better than him!!!

I know it's only the first game of preseason, but the OL didn't inspire confidence, it could be our biggest weakness this year. Especially with Scarnechia gone...

We have to give the new guy time. One of my friends played college ball with him and coached with him and said he is a talented coach.

Our Oline will come good in my eyes right now its early days and we do have some talented guys on there including rookies. They just need to get solid game time under their belts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

TO. wrote: »
    We have to give the new guy time. One of my friends played college ball with him and coached with him and said he is a talented coach.

Our Oline will come good in my eyes right now its early days and we do have some talented guys on there including rookies. They just need to get solid game time under their belts.

Happens pretty much every year. O line looks rubbish in pre season and then comes relatively good

bruschi wrote: »
    Happens pretty much every year. O line looks rubbish in pre season and then comes relatively good

Exactly this. One thing about an Oline when you have new guys on it or you move guys around it takes time to adjust and gel. People forget Olines need time to form a bond and get on the same page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Looked at the Garoppolo performance earlier and I really liked what I saw. He looked composed, comfortable and showed a lovely touch with the deep ball. In front of the camera's, he comes across as really polished and totally at ease.

Garoppolo was 9/13 for 157 Yards with 1 TD and a 69% completion rate.
    Mallett was 5/12 for 55 Yards with 0 TDs and a 41% completion rate.

A good nights work from young Garoppolo on his first outing. If he keeps that up for the rest of preseaon and continues to outshine Mallett. Then the back up job is his imo. Though I think Bill might wait to see if there's any value in trading Mallett before bumping up Garoppolo.

Another guy who went totally under my radar was Brian Tyms. He really caught my eye last night, yes he wasn't playing their first team. But he can only beat who's covering him. For a guy we only signed 12 days ago, I think he made people sit up and take notice. He caught 5/6 passes for 119 Yards and I think he could battle his way onto the roster. @ 6'3" and 205 Lbs he's a very similar size to Dobson but is 7 Lbs lighter. If he makes the roster, it would provide another layer of cover/option with Dobson still not on the field.

Another guy who went totally under my radar was Brian Tyms. He really caught my eye last night, yes he wasn't playing their first team. But he can only beat who's covering him. For a guy we only signed 12 days ago, I think he made people sit up and take notice. He caught 5/6 passes for 119 Yards and I think he could battle his way onto the roster. @ 6'3" and 205 Lbs he's a very similar size to Dobson but is 7 Lbs lighter. If he makes the roster, it would provide another layer of cover/option with Dobson still not on the field.
    Came across this on Twitter: http://www.prlog.org/12318325-nfl-suspends-cleveland-browns-brian-tyms.html
    Tyms will be suspended for the first 4 weeks of the NFL season.

Came across this on Twitter: http://www.prlog.org/12318325-nfl-suspends-cleveland-browns-brian-tyms.html
    Tyms will be suspended for the first 4 weeks of the NFL season.

And it appears the guy should not have been banned at all.
    Having been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyper-active Disorder (ADHD), Mr. Tyms failed the test prior to obtaining a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) from league doctors, which would allow Mr. Tyms to take the prescribed medication without violating the league’s drug policy. After failing the test, Mr. Tyms was subsequently approved for the TUE. Unfortunately, the league does not allow TUE’s to apply retroactively.
    So he was obviously diagnosed with ADHD by medics outside of the league. Possibly even his own family doctor ect. He then gets prescribed medication, takes it and then fails a test. And because he hadn't have Therapeutic Use Exemption in place. Suddenly he's a drug cheat and gets a 4 game ban.

Nobody disputes his diagnoses, nobody disputes he needs the medication. But because he didn't have a TUE, he gets like a deliberate drug cheat. Fúck me, I've seen some nonsense in my time but that takes the biscuit. It also raises a question, what do the NFLPA actually do? They seem more concerned with getting back a murderers money. Than representing lad who got unfairly punished for not having a TUE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Corvus this has been happening for some time now in the league. It's all about process and procedure. The way things currently stand it's nigh on impossible to label anyone a "drugs cheat". Instead they are someone who didn't hold themselves to the standards by which they are accountable by the league. There doesn't appear to be black or white, just a whole load of grey. Imo this is murkiness is entirely the fault of the NFLPA.

edit: adderall was the "go-to" drug for players failing tests for a good while there so unless I'm missing something this case is just like all the others.

Tristram wrote: »
    Corvus this has been happening for some time now in the league. It's all about process and procedure. The way things currently stand it's nigh on impossible to label anyone a "drugs cheat". Instead they are someone who didn't hold themselves to the standards by which they are accountable by the league. There doesn't appear to be black or white, just a whole load of grey. Imo this is murkiness is entirely the fault of the NFLPA.

edit: adderall was the "go-to" drug for players failing tests for a good while there so unless I'm missing something this case is just like all the others.

I wasn't commentating on the rest of the league, nor have I any interest in it tbh. A player on my team gets a bullshít ban, for what is essentially bureaucratic reasons. And it makes me laugh at the nonsense of it all. There is no grey area in this case. The lad has been medically diagnosed with ADHD and medicated for it. The League has accepted this but gave him the 4 game ban anyway. Simply because of his failure to tell them he needed the medication in advance. It is complete nonsense and nothing at all like the actions of a deliberate and willful drug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Steve Gregory retires for family reasons. It was always going to be downhill after this play!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Call me a cynic but I am not as quick to believe players when they blame failed drug tests on adderall. Also, if you are failing tests because of adderall usage I think you have to be pretty damn stupid. It's the responsibility of professional athletes to know that any medication/supplement they are even considering taking is okay and they should all be getting clearance from their teams medical staff first.

Tristram wrote: »
    Call me a cynic but I am not as quick to believe players when they blame failed drug tests on adderall. Also, if you are failing tests because of adderall usage I think you have to be pretty damn stupid. It's the responsibility of professional athletes to know that any medication/supplement they are even considering taking is okay and they should all be getting clearance from their teams medical staff first.

In the case of Brian Tyms, we have no choice but to believe. Not even the league would dare challenge an independent medical diagnosis and the recommendations that were made from it. Tyms was diagnosed with ADHD. Adderall is one of the go to drugs used in the treatment of ADHD. And its primary benefit is to sharpen an individuals focus and their concentration. Which is precisely what the ADHD sufferer needs. His mistake/stupidity/rookie oversight/ caused the problem. And in light of his diagnosis and continuing need to take Adderall, imo the maximum penalty he received was a joke.

Richard Sherman failed a drug test, he tested positive for Adderall. He has not been diagnosed with ADHD or has any other medical diagnosis, that requires this medication. So in this case it is pretty clear he was a drug cheat when he failed the test. He escaped punishment because of a nonsense technicality. A second urine specimen cup was used to contain a 'leak; from the first cup and because the seal on the second cup was broken (which it had to be) before it collected the leak from the first cup - apparently the chain of custody was deemed to be broken and Sherman walked. In another words - complete horseshít. Adderall doesn't mysteriously appear in a sterile container. Even more mysterious is how the first specimen container even leaked. You would need to stomp/stand on one of these specimen containers because they are designed to be incredibly strong.

So Tyms gets a 4 game ban for not having a TUE form in time. And the drug cheat Sherman walks because of some dodgy technicality. When everyone should be asking where did the Adderall come from? Yet somehow, I'm guessing if the tables were reversed, the NFLPA would probably battle tooth and nail for a 'star' player.

infacteh wrote: »
    Steve Gregory retires for family reasons. It was always going to be downhill after this play!!!!

Sad news, he was an absolute gent and I wish him well.

First, I'm sad for Gregory. I hope that he is a repeated invitee to a number of Pats charity/fund-raising events.
    Given some of the the safety propect moves made in camp, he may of actually made have made it back to the squad.
    He didn't always deliver, but not for the lack of heart/effort, and will always be an echo in my Pats memories.
    Thanks Steve.

Just came across some words from Bill on Gregory's retirement.

Steve Gregory was a true professional and a pleasure to coach. He was one of the most well-liked and respected players because everything he did was the right way, with a great attitude and in the best interests of the team. On behalf of the New England Patriots, we thank Steve for his contributions on and off the field and wish him our very best in the future.

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/belichick-pays-tribute-retiring-safety-gregory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Nice to see Dobson and Easley at practice today.

me89 wrote: »
    Nice to see Dobson and Easley at practice today.

Great news.

I thought both could have ended up riding the PUP till week 6 and Easley possibly going on IR for the season.

• Advertisement

:D Bill, Rob K and the team take the ice bucket challenge...

https://vine.co/v/MYezjHbAO7P

Following up from my last post, here's a still picture of the soaking....

47555_Pats.jpg

Love Bill's face :D. Zach Moore, yes the 7th round rookie delivered the soaking to Bill.

RIP Zach.

Patriots traded for Packer DT/DE Jerel Worthy today pending medical "late round picks". Seems like a guy with some talent decent enough rookie season. But yet again another guy with injuries hanging over him. Torn ACL last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,918 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Low risk, potential for a high reward with Worthy. A lot of people were bigging him up before the draft in 2012. If he fulfilled his potential and stays fit he could turn out to be a fantastic signing.

Pretty impressive...wait till 1:45

hi vkg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Arnold Tanzarian

cant wait for the new season to start #patsnation

But yet again another guy with injuries hanging over him. Torn ACL last season.

I've lost count of the amount of players we have on the roster, who have, or who are just getting over ACL issues. It almost seems to have become a prerequisite, for picking up players on the defensive side of the line. The upside is there, but it's just one too many risks for my liking.

cant wait for the new season to start #patsnation

Welcome to the team thread and to the forum.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Brady Picked off by Cary Williams of all people on the first drive.

Bad communication made it easy for him. Butler having a cracking game again going to find his way onto roster.

• Advertisement

Butler having a cracking game again going to find his way onto roster.

He was the best Patriot for me last week, on either side of the ball. Love his ball hawking and instincts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement