Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Some people have said that alright, they think the 4 week suspension might help Tyms. But I can't see it, I could just see the likes of Rex freeing up a spot to get his paws on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

wtf it's mike reiss projecting Ridley to be cut. I thought it was just some guy trying to get attention.

Masked Man wrote: »
    wtf it's mike reiss projecting Ridley to be cut. I thought it was just some guy trying to get attention.

I haven't heard anything. But would it surprise me? Yes. Would they not do it? No, I think anything is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Masked Man wrote: »

He didn't get too many snaps against the Panthers, and all the rookie lads seem decent. It would be a big gamble, much like they did last year revamping the receiving corps.

It would be very bold, but not beyond the realms of possibility!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Mike Reiss is great for news but gas a horrible track record on predictions. He predicted Greg Salas to have near 70 catches for us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Moat_Cailin

Ridley has had well documented problems, but, he's a player I'd like us to hang on too.

Belichick has announced that Garoppolo will start our next game. So I was just looking at the comparative stats for Garoppolo and Mallett so far.

Garoppolo is 24 of 37 for 334 yards (64.8% completion rate), 4 TDs & and no interceptions.

Mallett is is 14 of 26 for 161 yards (53.8% completion rate), 1 TD and no interceptions.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/11407011/new-england-patriots-start-jimmy-garoppolo-preseaon-finale

Impressive stuff from our Rookie QB. One particular play really impressed me against the Jaguars. The pocket was rapidly collapsing around him, he kept cool and calm under pressure and made a nice completion down the field. I found it all very Bradyesque. I think he has already well surpassed our expectations. He's a very smart kid and has been praised since he arrived at Gillette, for being a workaholic, a film junkie and study junkie. Bill is big on character and I think we have landed a little nugget with this kid.

What is most impressive of all though, has been his response to real competition. He seemed to stall in camp and looked like a rookie QB at times. But once he took the field against another team he really stepped up, raised his game and showed a strong competitive edge. Yet Mallett, who has been in this position for 4 years. Has struggled, disappointed and at times wilted years. Garoppolo has relished the hot seat and his response to being under the spotlight, is all reminiscent of a certain Mr. Brady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

One place where i've been very impressed with Jimmy G is his ability to handle pressure in the pocket while Mallett seems to wet the bed at the slightest sign of pressure.

Jimmy G could be the 2nd best QB in the AFC East (although that isn't much of a complement :pac:)

I'm still surprised at some people out there who thinks Mallett has trade value...I don't see it. He's done nothing but be an average backup QB. I think if Jimmy G does the business on Thursday, Mallett becomes expendable and an un-needed 3rd QB spot is a waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Ridley has had well documented problems, but, he's a player I'd like us to hang on too.

Well documented problems? This comment is baffling me to be honest.

That a side I do think White could push Ridley out of the starting spot but I would be surprised if we just cut Ridley and go with Vereen Bolden and 2 rookies.

Hazys wrote: »
    I'm still surprised at some people out there who thinks Mallett has trade value...I don't see it. He's done nothing but be an average backup QB. I think if Jimmy G does the business on Thursday, Mallett becomes expendable and an un-needed 3rd QB spot is a waste.

I agree but we are talking about the NFL where stupid trades happen all the time. I wouldn't be surprised to see us get something for him.

• Advertisement

TO. wrote: »
    Well documented problems? This comment is baffling me to be honest.

That a side I do think White could push Ridley out of the starting spot but I would be surprised if we just cut Ridley and go with Vereen Bolden and 2 rookies.

Seriously ? He has been benched by Bill and it's always under scrutiny from the media. He even made some strong comments himself in regards to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I'm assuming the well documented problems is his fumbling, which is well documented and which we have seen again this off season. I still think he is decent, but I dont trust him. Every time he makes a run and heads into a pile, my heart is in my mouth wondering has he kept the ball. Thats no way to be for a running back. Would they make a play for Law firm again? It seems he is close to the Bengals cut list, maybe due to injury as much as anything though.

As for the game the other night, would agree with Corvus summary for the most part. I thought Jones was fantastic though, and as someone who asked could he work in a 3-4 alternating between a 3 point stance or as a line backer, he more than answered with his ability in that game. He was excellent in both coverage aspects he was asked to do, and when he was in pass rush off the line. Yes, it was pre season, but that doesnt diminish his ability to make it work, which was a concern of mine. I thought a change in system might negate his positives, but he has adapted really well and looks good.

O line was average, and really set nothing up in the running game.

Amendola is a real non factor too. He did nothing wrong, but he also flat out did nothing. And once Gronk comes in, his role will reduce even further. Brady has a clear no.1 in Edelman, and Thompkins is rapidly cementing his no.2 role (excluding Gronk obviously). Amendola is going to be paid a big time recevier wage, but only be a small time receive it seems.

Jimmy was ok, did well in parts but played like a rookie does. That pass to, as Fauria said, his Panthers team mate, was terrible. But then Brady made a similar type error when he was tripped by Worthy I think it was, but he tried hand it off to Vereen when he should have wrapped up the ball and take the sack.

I'm not overly surprised by Kelly going. It seems that he hasnt adapted to the 3-4 as well as others, and Joe Vellano has shown to be far more versatile and adaptive in other areas as well as on the line. As Jemarcus says above, it might indicate we could see Easley soon enough. Anderson I'm not too surprised by either, he missed an awful tackle the other night in the game, and just looked off the pace.

All in all though, its relatively good signs. I think there is a bit of depth showing, especially considering that Browner is going to be lucky to hold onto a roster spot, never mind being close to starting. He really is off the boil and hasnt shown anything so far. The depth with all the inexperienced running backs looks ok too. They have all shown some decent signs.

bruschi wrote: »
    I'm assuming the well documented problems is his fumbling, which is well documented and which we have seen again this off season. I still think he is decent, but I dont trust him. Every time he makes a run and heads into a pile, my heart is in my mouth wondering has he kept the ball. Thats no way to be for a running back. Would they make a play for Law firm again? It seems he is close to the Bengals cut list, maybe due to injury as much as anything though.

In fairness to him a lot of the time it has happened when he has one hand on the ball. You can't expect a back to have two hands on the ball every time. It can be attributed to a good play by the defence on occasions. Fundamentally you can nit pick and the fact is it's happened way to much and at really bad times. I think we are all the same way , when he head into traffic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

In fairness to him a lot of the time it has happened when he has one hand on the ball. You can't expect a back to have two hands on the ball every time. It can be attributed to a good play by the defence on occasions. Fundamentally you can nit pick and the fact is it's happened way to much and at really bad times. I think we are all the same way , when he head into traffic.

Oh I know all that, but when you go from Lawfirm who never had a fumble, to Ridley who regularly has fumbles, it inevitably comes back onto the player and his ball handling skills. It is an issue, and having one in the pre season is not a good way to open up the season. The fact Bill has benched him a few times also shows a trust issue is evident.

bruschi wrote: »
    Oh I know all that, but when you go from Lawfirm who never had a fumble, to Ridley who regularly has fumbles, it inevitably comes back onto the player and his ball handling skills. It is an issue, and having one in the pre season is not a good way to open up the season. The fact Bill has benched him a few times also shows a trust issue is evident.

Sorry, that part was just a general point. Wasn't directed at you, as if you weren't aware. I agree. The knock on him was always that style of running shouldn't lead to many fumbles. I agree with that to a point. Never fumbling is a great stat, no matter how it's dressed. He was a player that suited our team perfect and did what he needed from him.

Seriously ? He has been benched by Bill and it's always under scrutiny from the media. He even made some strong comments himself in regards to it.

My aplogies, When you said well documented problems I was expecting something that wasn't fumbling. Bill Belichick has a higher standard than any other coach when it comes to Fumbles. Has Ridley Fumbled too much for a guy that has carried less than 555 times? yes he has, is it really a problem? yes and no but its not the big deal everyone makes it out to be. Ridley sits at the league average for guys with under 555 carries for the type of player and quality that he is.

Do I think Ridley will lose his spot to James White though Yes I do and I have said that already. A bigger issue for Ridley is that he lacks explosive speed and his yards after contact are not great but those points are often ignored. Ridley is doing exactly what was said in his scouting reports when we drafted him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 5m Per source, and as @JayGlazer reported, the Patriots have agreed to deal G Logan Mankins to the Bucs for a pick and TE Tim Wright.

MY GOD:(:(:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Wow...i wonder what the pick is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Sometimes "In Bill we trust" is just so damn hard to stick to. I'll hold my hands up, I don't understand this trade at all.

This should be a massive relief on the cap, opening room to negotiate with McCourty and Revis, but still wow

• Advertisement

Hazys wrote: »
    Wow...i wonder what the pick is?

It's a 4th round pick

Mankins' play was in decline and he had a massive cap hit but still he was a top OL in the league. I even had him as a surprise cut earlier in the off-season as his cap hit was waaaay to large but still i thought it was a very long shot.

I like that our TE position has got much stronger but Tim Wright won't have much time to gel with Tom. He looks like a Hernandez-esque player...fingers crossed we can get that production out of him.

The OLine is worse for this but by how much? He is also one of the main leaders in the clubhouse.

Possible starting OL Solder--Kline--Wendell--Connolly--Vollmer

There is a lot of question marks surrounding the interior of the line before this trade. Stork over Wendell? Cannon at RG, Connolly at C? Is Kline as good as he played late last season? Was is Devey playing so much in the preseason? Now we have another question on the OLine, who can possibly replace Mankins?

What was worrying against the Panthers was thats the Panthers DTs Lotuletei and Short got a ton of inside pressure.

me89 wrote: »
    It's a 4th round pick

Hmm seems about right considering the value of trades these days, a 32yr old vet with a large cap hit for an up and coming cheap TE and a 4th.

TBH i dont hate it...unless the Oline becomes a complete mess

We need a TE and Mankins is on the back end of his career. This move makes sense but one I don't agree with. Huge faith put in the leftover Oline now. Wright is a TE with big potential and we need someone like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Another Rutgers player, Bill seems to like them.

Hopefully the use the cap space to extend Revis.

me89 wrote: »
    Hopefully the use the cap space to extend Revis.

Seems like that is one of the reasons floating around.

So it was most likely the Bucs reaching out to the Pats to initiate the trade not the other way around, as the Bucs called the 49ers first about Boone.

Disappointing pick as he wasnt even the 75th best player on the roster....6th rounder Jemea Thomas cut

• Advertisement

Well that was a shock. A trade next year wouldn't have shocked me but this is sooner than expected. While I think Mankins had probably entered into a decline, he was still one of our best Linemen. The new TE is much needed though. Hopefully he will fit into a previous position vacated by scumbag. His height is fine but he seems a bit undersized for a TE and his blocking also leaves a lot to be desired. Stats from last year are decent enough, he played 16 games for 54 receptions for 571 Yards and 5 TD's.

We definitely need another good pass catching TE. And this lad with an NFL season under his belt and his stats, becomes our 2nd best TE straight away. Hard to know the real reason for this trade, but it does free up a fair sized cap hit. Is it for a Revis extension or further trade moves? Who knows.

One thing we can be certain off, Logan Mankins was one of the best and toughest offensive Linemen of his generation. Only player I've ever known to play a season with an ACL injury. A great servant for our team and a great Patriot. A Pats HOF jacket awaits him. Thanks for everything Logan and stay healthy.:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement