Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,918 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I thought I already covered that here....

All going well, they alternate snaps or even line up on opposites sides of the field.
    Is this the response to my question?

What if Dobson is a healthy scratch again this weekend? Do you cut a player who is being picked for two games or the one that is not deemed worthy of dressing for two games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

eagle eye wrote: »
    Is this the response to my question?

Excuse me? You posted one sentence, the sentence was open to interpretation. Since what you posted wasn't very specific, I assumed you were talking about long term - as in who stays on the roster with Dobson.
    What if Dobson is a healthy scratch again this weekend?

I've already told you what I think will happen next Sunday here....
    If Dobson is on the field on Sunday. I won't be surprised if we see very little of La Fell come Sunday.

I made no mention of cuts there. La Fell will stay on the roster and if they decide to cut him, they will do so when Tyms returns from his suspension. Of course he's already on 1 million guaranteed this year, so he might never be cut.

Do you cut a player who is being picked for two games or the one that is not deemed worthy of dressing for two games?

Who is the player not deemed worthy of dressing? Tyms is suspended until week 5. Dobson is wisely being eased back into it. So I've actually no idea what player you are referring to there.

Who is the player not deemed worthy of dressing? Tyms is suspended until week 5. Dobson is wisely being eased back into it. So I've actually no idea what player you are referring to there.
    Dobson was not on the squad the last day. Everybody says it was a healthy scratch. If he is healthy and not being picked for the gameday squad then why would you cut LaFell ahead of him when Tyms becomes eligible?

Dobson was not on the squad the last day. Everybody says it was a healthy scratch.

Dobson was inactive and is not being rushed back. But after La Fells 0 production last Sunday. I expect Dobson will make an appearance against the Vikings and if he doesn't? Then it tells me they are being extra cautious with his return.
    If he is healthy and not being picked for the gameday squad then why would you cut LaFell ahead of him when Tyms becomes eligible?

Who said anything about cutting La Fell if Dobson isn't playing? Because I said this....
    La Fell will stay on the roster and if they decide to cut him, they will do so when Tyms returns from his suspension. Of course he's already on 1 million guaranteed this year, so he might never be cut.

Dobson was inactive and is not being rushed back. But after La Fells 0 production last Sunday. I expect Dobson will make an appearance against the Vikings and if he doesn't? Then it tells me they are being extra cautious with his return.
    Where are you getting this from? Dobson was a healthy scratch. There is nothing wrong with him, he says he is fine the media say he is healthy. He wasn't on the injury report all week before the game.

Its clear that he is behind the rest of the receivers right now. He is the one most likely to be cut if Tyms comes in.

• Advertisement

Where are you getting this from? Dobson was a healthy scratch. There is nothing wrong with him, he says he is fine the media say he is healthy. He wasn't on the injury report all week before the game.

Jesus, did you get out of the wrong side of bed this morning, or are you just being deliberately obtuse? Who said Dobson was injured? I said he was inactive. I also said I believe they were not rushing him back - that's just an opinion. We all know he was rearing to go last week. But we also should know there wasn't much chance of Bill putting a ring rusty Gronk and Dobson on the field on the same day. Especially in a tough away game against the Phins. Because of what he brings, Gronk will always get priority over any other returning WR and so common sense suggested Dobson would have to wait his turn.
    Its clear that he is behind the rest of the receivers right now. He is the one most likely to be cut if Tyms comes in.

I've already giving my opinion on the Dobson being cut suggestion right here.....
    Not a hope of Dobson being cut. He is the most promising young WR on our roster. The pure deep field threat we've been looking for. I've already talked about the procedure Dobson had a few weeks back and gave a brief insight into what was done and how it should work out here........

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91516599&postcount=5317

Dobson's performance against the Giants, reassured me that he's well on track to being 100%. He's only coming back from foot surgery and they were right not to rush him for the opener. For once, it was reassuring to see some come sense being used. Right now La Fell is his replacement and he's failing miserably. The arrival of Tyms gives us a very similar player to Dobson and they naturally complement other.

Here's another point to consider, Tyms was signed 10 days before preseason started. La Fell had nearly a 5 month head start on him to bed in and he still gets outshined by Tyms on the field. Every time he's had an opportunity, Tyms looked the more dangerous and dynamic WR on the field. If Dobson is on the field on Sunday. I won't be surprised if we see very little of La Fell come Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Not a hope of Dobson being cut, After the injuries last year and the surgery in the off season he's just being eased back in. He will be back either this week or next week.

Corvus I've read all of that but I don't believe for one second that they would take their time with Dobson and rush Gronk back. If they were taking their time with him then he wouldn't have played in the last preseason game.

Secondly the way I see it is that if you are not dressed on game day for three weeks then its either Dobson or Tyms that will be cut. If Dobson is active for the next two weeks then of course things change.

Thompkins is not safe either, he played poorly against Miami too.

I just think that the least likely to be cut is LaFell. I think Edelman, Amendola and LaFell are all secure on the roster. After that its up in the air imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

But we also should know there wasn't much chance of Bill putting a ring rusty Gronk and Dobson on the field on the same day. Especially in a tough away game against the Phins. Because of what he brings, Gronk will always get priority over any other returning WR and so common sense suggested Dobson would have to wait his turn.

Absolutely agree, Gronk will always get prioritised over anyone else retuning. Him and Dobson need reps, no way both were getting them in a tough spot like Miami.

5 receptions on Sunday against La Fells 0 receptions. Yip, that makes sense. You seem to be cutting everyone except La Fell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

C

Yeah but Tom Brady loves him so no way Thompkins gets cut.

• Advertisement

Corvus I've read all of that but I don't believe for one second that they would take their time with Dobson and rush Gronk back. If they were taking their time with him then he wouldn't have played in the last preseason game.

Gronk will always get priority if another pass catcher is also returning from injury. Bringing Gronk & Dobson back together was never going to happen. Most of us prefer to see Gronk rolled out at the business end of the season. But realistically, I think we need to accept that will never happen. And after watching the collapse last Sunday, you can be sure Gronk won't be spared if they can help it.
    Secondly the way I see it is that if you are not dressed on game day for three weeks then its either Dobson or Tyms that will be cut. If Dobson is active for the next two weeks then of course things change.

Dobson had 37 Receptions for 519 Yard and 4 TD's last year. That beats the production Branch had in his rookie year. Dobson went down with the foot injury in the Panthers game and was gimped for the rest of the season. He's potentially the most exciting WR we drafted in the Belichick era. So why would we even contemplate cutting Dobson?

Tyms hasn't played a regular season game yet. But he's already level with La Fell and his 0 regular season production so far. He's five months behind La Fell in season prep, but yet he totally outshined him in preseason. If La Fell keeps up his rubbish play, then Tyms has to take his spot for me. But as I said, La Fell gets $1 million guaranteed so they might be inclined to hang onto because of that. And that worries me.

Thompkins isn't safe? His 32 Receptions for 466 Yards and 4 TD's in 12 games pretty much equals what Branch did in his rookie year. And he wasn't really right after week 10, when he landed heavily on his hip. The preseason game against the Panthers clearly showed the trust Brady has in the kid. I've spoken about a certain play in question, twice in this thread and tbh, I'm not going bringing it up again. But it's pretty obvious to me Brady trusts Thompkins and he's going nowhere.
    I just think that the least likely to be cut is LaFell. I think Edelman, Amendola and LaFell are all secure on the roster. After that its up in the air imo.

Edelman is the only safe WR there. The only reason Amendola & La Fell might be safe, is because of a potential waste of guaranteed money. Other than that, they done absolutely nothing to suggest their roster spots are untouchable.

Season barely started and it looks like the injuries are starting. Collins has missed the last two practices with a thigh injury and might miss Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Peterson may not play Sunday, as he's currently wanted for arrest for reckless or negligent injury to a child in Texas...bloody hell

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/12/report-adrian-peterson-indicted-charged-with-reckless-or-negligent-injury-to-a-child/

More info coming out:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/12/adrian-petersons-indictment-for-swatting-son-with-a-switch/

Looks like he just gave the kid the american version of the Irish Mammy's wooden spoon...doubt he'll miss the game for that, if thats all it is.

Ok, doesn't sound that serious although corporal is wrong in any form imo.

Peterson missing Sunday would be an unexpected bonus. But no doubt that won't be happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Think I just read on ESPN that he has been deactivated for Sunday.

edit: yup

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11514522/adrian-peterson-minnesota-vikings-indicted-child-case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

So will Browner and Tyms be able to play Sunday?

paulie21 wrote: »
    So will Browner and Tyms be able to play Sunday?

Browner has a 2 game ban and Tyms 4 games.

Also worth noting that out conversation earlier in the Thread of cutting a WR for Tyms was fruitless as Tyms already has his spot on the 53 man roster so no need to cut anyone for him. Same with Browner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Sunday would obviously be a bit easier without Peterson but I think their receiver cordarelle Patterson is pretty special so he could give us problems. Will be interesting to see if revis matches up with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

SK1979 wrote: »
    Sunday would obviously be a bit easier without Peterson but I think their receiver cordarelle Patterson is pretty special so he could give us problems. Will be interesting to see if revis matches up with him.

Yeah with the Vikes looking to get Patterson to touch the ball as often as possible-running, catching and returning-the Vikings are suddenly far more difficult to defend against but losing AP would make for a much more one dimensional gameplan obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

No Peterson is a huge boost to the Pats chances of a win. But if we win, I hope it doesn't cover any cracks.

It's tough to fully assess last weeks loss. The HT score was reflective of the game up to that point; as was the full time score. So are we that first half team, or the team half team?

I've got to factor in the heat that may have affected the team more than was apparent while watching on TV.
    And they'll have a chance to prove that this week. But if Peterson is out, then we can't go overboard if we dominate.

One thing I'm really looking out for is how our front 7 line up. Are we going to maintain the push for a 3-4 defence or will we revert to the 4-3 which may suit the personnel we have.

I hope the OL got the kicking they needed during the week. Each time TB ships a sack I end up cringing (a bit like when Gronk ends up taking a hit). TB remains the key to our chances of success, and if the OL can't protect him, then it's going to be a short season.

TO. wrote: »
    Also worth noting that out conversation earlier in the Thread of cutting a WR for Tyms was fruitless as Tyms already has his spot on the 53 man roster so no need to cut anyone for him. Same with Browner

I've had that in mind all the time and I just can't see us continuing to carry the 8 WR's that we have on the roster.

No Peterson is a huge boost to the Pats chances of a win. But if we win, I hope it doesn't cover any cracks.

Funnily enough, I'd almost prefer if Perterson was playing because it would be the only accurate way of assessing if our defense has actually improved.
    I've got to factor in the heat that may have affected the team more than was apparent while watching on TV.

I was catching up with a friend who's based Stateside. And he was telling me was at the Miami game. He said he was sitting about 10 rows back from the Pats bench and it was 105 Fahrenheit just as the game kicked off. He said the amount of Pats players in the second half that were cramping up and showing the effects of dehydration was scary. He's a medic himself so he knew what he was looking at.

And while Bill might deny, I think we can't ignore the weather having an effect on the players. It's one thing having hot weather in Boston. But the almost tropical like conditions in Miami are on a whole different lever. Travelling a day or two earlier doesn't make a difference imo.
    One thing I'm really looking out for is how our front 7 line up. Are we going to maintain the push for a 3-4 defence or will we revert to the 4-3 which may suit the personnel we have.

Me too and I'm hoping we revert to and stay in a 4-3. Playing Chandler Jones at DE in a 3-4 is a complete waste of time imo. He is much more effective playing DE in a 3-4.
    I hope the OL got the kicking they needed during the week. Each time TB ships a sack I end up cringing (a bit like when Gronk ends up taking a hit). TB remains the key to our chances of success, and if the OL can't protect him, then it's going to be a short season.

My heart is my mouth every time Brady is hit. 4 sacks in a game is not acceptable. He's on course for 64 sacks this season at that rate, not that he'll survive that long if the O line keep playing like that. Our O line really needs to step it, because if we can't protect Brady we're screwed.

TO. always reminds us that whenever we play a quality D line, we always seem to get pushed around and bullied. And he's spot on, I mean we have to ask ourselves has Bill not seen the pattern here. Rodgers and Brady had similar games last week because both opposing D's tormented both QB's and both had shyte O line protection. Brady is running out of years here, so the least he deserves is quality protection.

Another thing that bugs me is, the ref spent more time picking Brady of the turf that the actual O line. And that disturbs me because any real tough, quality O line should always take a hit on their QB as a personal insult. They should be picking their QB off the turf and snarling at the guy who put him down. But last week, not only was Brady picking himself up at times, but the body language of the O line was almost almost resigned to this happening.

My god the likes of Nate Solder is blessed with physical gifts, but he needs to learn some some serious toughness. A gentle giant won't cut it in front of Brady. Mankins had begun a decline, but man we missed his leadership and toughness last week. Maybe the first game without Mankins was always going to be difficult for them. But right now someone needs to step up and become their leader on the field.

I've had that in mind all the time and I just can't see us continuing to carry the 8 WR's that we have on the roster.

My point was nobody needs to be dropped right now for him as he is already part of the final roster. Whether we carry 8 WR or not Tyms and LaFell and co come week 5 will be on the same roster to begin with.

TO. wrote: »
    My point was nobody needs to be dropped right now for him as he is already part of the final roster. Whether we carry 8 WR or not Tyms and LaFell and co come week 5 will be on the same roster to begin with.

Apologies for any confusion, but I'm not talking about right now when both guys are suspended. I was talking about when these guys return from suspension and when a decision has to be made. We don't tend to carry 8 WR's on our roster and with a decent pass catching TE added in Wright. I expect our WR's numbers will drop.

Jamie Collins is out with a thigh injury. I expected a huge year 2 from him and he's injured already.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

What's everyone's predictions for tonight? I'm quietly confident of a good bounce back win

I'm usually full of beans and expecting us to crush the opposition but last week's collapse has me just hoping for a big day.

I'm not at all confident even though I know I should be. Every team loses games, well there was 2007:D, and we normally just bounce straight back. Its just that Scar is gone and the offensive line was so bad and you have no chance to win if the OL is that bad again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I keep looking at that Pats defense, and I really don't get the release of Kelly.
    He and Vince together in a 4-3 seemed to be ideal with Jones and Niko.

With Collins out, and his coverage skills missing, I won't be surprised to see us go 3-4; even though I'm not sure we've the bodies for that alignment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement