Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

BKWDR wrote: »
    Can't help but feel that they aren't targeting him deliberately which i don't particularly mind. I would rather he was used like this until he is healthy later in the season and then make him step up and make some big plays when needed.

But you're right a win is a win.

Lucky that the Raiders game falls next, can't see it being *too* much of a challenge based on how they played against the texans.

yeah I just mean in his route running and athletic ability he doesnt seem as smooth or as powerful, which is totally to be expected but he, IMO, is not near 100% ready to be on the field yet. As you say, its better that they are only using him sparingly in snaps, but its just an early concern on most players who come back after an ACL that they dont come back the same player. Take Welker, he seamlessly came back in after his op, but I cant see the same for Gronk now.

Raiders is a nice one to be up next alright, home game against a struggling team with a rookie QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Nice win in the end, thought the defense was excellent apart from the horrible first drive which had me very worried but the settled down nicely after that. Chandler Jones is just a beast and showed just how affective he can be in a 4-3 D and what a block and return on the FG.

Revis looked ten times better then last week, thought Logan Ryan had a great game. 7 point's conceded,6 sacks and 4 interceptions, can't ask for much more then that.

The offence is worry. Ridley run pass to Edelman and repeat. Why do we keep trying to throw deep balls to slot recivers?? At this stage Lefall, Amendola and Boldin are just passenger's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Was on skyscanner last night, have to say itching to go see a regular season game now in Gillette :-/

Must have to make do with the London Falcons game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Excellent scouting analysis of the Pats before the Vikings game by a Vikings writer: http://vikingsterritory.com/2014/analysis/2014-minnesota-vikings-scouting-the-new-england-patriots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

After a poor first series on defence, credit to Mayo for setting the tone and making two plays that led to negative yardage for the Vikings. Felt it gave a boost to the team, and the defence made a lot of plays from then onwards.

Also, having caught up on a few of the other games, our week 1 result doesn't look so bad. Most of the SB contenders are 1:1, and Denver were pushed close at home by the Chiefs (who we're missing some big players).

Not sure of our Div opponents. Miami showed that maybe they are that 'first half team' against us. Buffalo have started really well. Jets were unlucky last night not to be 2:0, but screwed up at the end (in a hilarious way).
    We're clearly going to have to improve a lot, especially on offense. We're not going to play many teams missing such a vital weapon as the Vikings did.

• Advertisement

Just had lunch with my buddy who's a Bills fan, he's the happiest man on the planet right now.

So we had a look at the schedules for both teams; we both play 6 games in the AFC East, 3 games against the NFC North and 3 games against the AFC West, with 2 "random" AFC games.

The Pats play the Bengals and Colts while the Bills play the Browns and Texans.

That difference in schedule could be the deciding factor on who wins the AFC East.

Early days yet but its worth noting.

I said that schedule difference is unfair, he said not seeing your team in the playoffs since he was in the 6th grade is unfair lol...but still, i hope we crush them twice this season.

EDIT: Not so random, the 2 games against the AFC are against the 2 AFC divisions your not scheduled to play and against the teams that finished in the same position as you last year

Revis mentioned that the first drive by the Vikings was scripted by them and it was all plays that they hadn't seen before and that's why they has so much success. Still a disappointing drive by the D nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

After a poor first series on defence, credit to Mayo for setting the tone and making two plays that led to negative yardage for the Vikings. Felt it gave a boost to the team, and the defence made a lot of plays from then onwards.

Me too, I thought Mayo was excellent yesterday. Especially early in the game, when our entire defense hadn't even turned up to play. His leadership and leading by example was so crucial in kicking the defense into action.

I was really taken aback by Brady's demeanor in the press conference after the game. I have never seen him looking so downbeat even after a defeat. Maybe he's just realised he's going to finish his career with a relatively shyte bunch of targets to throw to. But I'm guessing it's more than that. Something is telling me all is not well between McDaniels and Brady and maybe Brady is getting real tired of his shít and some of his play calling. On one 3rd and long yesterday, JMD dials up a run play and we go nowhere. The reason I'm mentioning going with the run on the 3rd in long, is because I've seen it happening a few times now since JMD returned and it usually goes nowhere. And just when I thought I was imagining it. Some of the PFW lads then bring it up on a post game podcast.

Like me, they were asking, why are we running the ball on 3rd & long instead of going with the pass? As they said, Brady is the one QB who you know won't recklessly give away the ball or turn it over on 3rd in long. I don't know if any of ye have also noticed this. But it's one particular play I'd thought I'd mention, because I keep noticing it since JMD came back. It seems to be one of these "Oh look how clever I am." plays that JMD calls up. And I've a feeling Brady is getting sick of this nonsense.

The best Offensive Coordinator on our team is Brady and not JMD. Right now we'd be better off if JMD fecked off and just let Brady get on with it. No doubt JMD had a huge hand in declaring Thompkins and White inactive. And for what? Bolden and La Fell? Two guys who have brought nothing to the team in two consecutive games. La Fell is still on zero catches after two games and Amendola had zero catches in yesterday's game? And that says it all. So why do we handicap ourselves by putting these guys on the field? When we should be putting Thompkins out there instead of them.

I'm also getting sick of Brady being Mr. Nice, blaming himself when he should be blaming others. His mouth might say one thing, but his demeanour and body language yesterday suggests that all is not well. So I won't be surprised if Brady ends up losing it on the sidelines with JMD at some point this season. In fact, I'm almost hoping to see it happen. Now of course I could be completely wrong on this JMD/Brady issue, but it's just a feeling I'm getting of late. So I'm interested to see what you guys think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

I was really taken aback by Brady's demeanor in the press conference after the game. I have never seen him looking so downbeat even after a defeat. Maybe he's just realised he's going to finish his career with a relatively shyte bunch of targets to throw to. But I'm guessing it's more than that. Something is telling me all is not well between McDaniels and Brady and maybe Brady is getting real tired of his shít and some of his play calling. On one 3rd and long yesterday, JMD dials up a run play and we go nowhere. The reason I'm mentioning going with the run on the 3rd in long, is because I've seen it happening a few times now since JMD returned and it usually goes nowhere. And just when I thought I was imagining it. Some of the PFW lads then bring it up on a post game podcast.

The Pats need to go after a marquee WR in the off season to give Brady a solid option. I doubt we will though because Bill knows best. We have become the least ambitious team in the league at this point and are being carried by a handful of key players.
    Like me, they were asking, why are we running the ball on 3rd & long instead of going with the pass? As they said, Brady is the one QB who you know won't recklessly give away the ball or turn it over on 3rd in long. I don't know if any of ye have also noticed this. But it's one particular play I'd thought I'd mention, because I keep noticing it since JMD came back. It seems to be one of these "Oh look how clever I am." plays that JMD calls up. And I've a feeling Brady is getting sick of this nonsense.

Josh is a mini Bill and I think thats why Bill likes him so much. Its getting tiresome at this point with our playcalling I don't just blame Josh I also blame Bill as he seems to have given Josh Carte Blanche when it comes to calling plays.
    The best Offensive Coordinator on our team is Brady and not JMD. Right now we'd be better off if JMD fecked off and just let Brady get on with it. No doubt JMD had a huge hand in declaring Thompkins and White inactive. And for what? Bolden and La Fell? Two guys who have brought nothing to the team in two consecutive games. La Fell is still on zero catches after two games and Amendola had zero catches in yesterday's game? And that says it all. So why do we handicap ourselves by putting these guys on the field? When we should be putting Thompkins out there instead of them.

This exactly and it still today baffles me as to why Thompkins sat. Brady has faith in Thompkins and seems to have none in LaFell and unless we are missing something it is a strange move to de-activate a guy who was growing well. Dobson is not ready either as Brady has yet to find comfort with him so lack of targets his way.

Somethings got to change as we have a fairly easy ride into the playoffs for the last few season but physical teams beat us up and we go nowhere. Even when we strike it rich and get to a bowl we fall down on the side of physicality and the lack of depth.

We really need to start finding playmakers. So many guys have been up there in the off season and we end up picking up garbage. We also need to go back to bulking up our D with more strength and power. Right now have maybe 5 solid ballers on D and the rest are just plain average or under performing.

Then I finish with coaching. Its painful to see a team being coached so well over the years to now struggle. Our Oline for example people blame the new guy but I dont blame him I blame the apparent rotation that keeps happening that leaves inconsistency. We have lost our bottle and lost the edge with our coaching staff. I could write more but I would be here all day.

• Advertisement

TO. wrote: »
    The Pats need to go after a marquee WR in the off season to give Brady a solid option. I doubt we will though because Bill knows best. We have become the least ambitious team in the league at this point and are being carried by a handful of key players.

True, poor old Brady has spent an entire career making average WR's look damn good. Last year Brady had 1 WR on the roster with over 60 receptions for the season. While Manning had 5 WR's on the roster with 60 receptions or more. The Broncos like the Colts before them, surround Manning with what he needs and the best targets. Meanwhile we have always looked for 'value' and depend on Brady to turn mud into gold.
    This exactly and it still today baffles me as to why Thompkins sat. Brady has faith in Thompkins and seems to have none in LaFell and unless we are missing something it is a strange move to de-activate a guy who was growing well. Dobson is not ready either as Brady has yet to find comfort with him so lack of targets his way.

It makes total sense to have Thompkins and Brady strengthen their chemistry on their field. But then we don't seem to do 'sense' very much which is unfortunate.
    Somethings got to change as we have a fairly easy ride into the playoffs for the last few season but physical teams beat us up and we go nowhere. Even when we strike it rich and get to a bowl we fall down on the side of physicality and the lack of depth.

It's tiresome, it's a pattern and it seems everyone can see it apart from Bill that is. Speaking of depth and as I said yesterday. It doesn't say much for the quality of our roster when apart from Kelly, not one of the players released for the cut downs was picked up by another team.
    We really need to start finding playmakers. So many guys have been up there in the off season and we end up picking up garbage. We also need to go back to bulking up our D with more strength and power. Right now have maybe 5 solid ballers on D and the rest are just plain average or under performing.

While they haven't been really tested yet. I'm less worried abut the Defense than I am about the Offense right now. But there's no denying we've struggled to return to the defensive toughness of the early Belichick years. And him acting as our all in one HC, GM, DC and OC is largely responsible for this imo.

Yes we are blessed to have him and he's one of the GOAT's already. But having so much responsibility is bound to affect some areas and I think defense is a key area where the ball has been dropped in recent years. I think we should have head hunted a top DC 3-4 years ago and given him free reign to revitalise the defense.
    hen I finish with coaching. Its painful to see a team being coached so well over the years to now struggle. Our Oline for example people blame the new guy but I dont blame him I blame the apparent rotation that keeps happening that leaves inconsistency. We have lost our bottle and lost the edge with our coaching staff. I could write more but I would be here all day.

Blaming the new guy is only a cop out. And since this is his first season, I've no doubt Bill is heavily influencing all matters O line right now. Last week in Miami we saw a break down in fundamental blocking and at this level that shouldn't be happening. They had to bring in Fleming yesterday to act as a third Tackle on quite a few snaps. Solder was praising his contribution after the game and I was thinking to myself. No you dope, you're our first round draft pick ffs, you shouldn't be needing help to do your job.

Then we have Bill justifying picking La Fell because he's a better blocker than Thompkins. And he justifies giving Hooman more snaps than Wright, because he's a better blocker than Wright. And you say to yourself, does our O line really need all this help? And where's the logic in loading the field with blockers and thus giving Brady two less effective targets down the field? Finally you have to ask, if we're doing it on a run play, doesn't it make it predictable when that run is likely to come? It worked yesterday against the Vikings, but try that against the Jets front seven and we'll have our assess handed back to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,918 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There is a new Pats fan now, just a couple of hours old right now.:)

Congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

eagle eye wrote: »

Congrats dude

eagle eye wrote: »

Congrats eagle.:)

I'm guessing this will be eagle for his first nappy change.....:pac:

38371_GIF-gag-Jim-Carrey-Dumb--Dumber-GIF.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Followed by

TB12's college resume

sn_bradyresume_kd_600x800.jpg&w=580&h=773

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Think edelman missed some practice today

Tristram wrote: »

Yeah saw that on my fantasy football. Still gonna start him, can't see them not starting him.
    Edelman (back) was one of nine Patriots' players listed as a limited practice participant Wednesday, the team's official site reports.

Analysis: We'll revisit Edelman's status Thursday, but so far there are no indications that his Week 3 status is in any jeopardy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Very curious as to how the offense would look without him

Damn, he was limited yesterday with a back injury...it would be a big deal if he couldn't go.

Someone would really have to step up. But if miniTron were to be IR or miss some time i would then say the season is smoked.

Very curious as to how the offense would look without him

Nonexistent is how it would look, because right now our offense is pretty mediocre.

According to Mike Reiss, all players attended practice including Edelman.

Mayo missed yesterday to witness the birth of his child.

Hazys wrote: »
    According to Mike Reiss, all players attended practice including Edelman.

We're not out of the woods yet. Edelman was still limited in practice today with the back issue. Also worrying to see Dennard has a shoulder issue, which hopefully has nothing to do with the operation he had in the offseason.

85804_Untitled-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

eagle eye wrote:
    There is a new Pats fan now, just a couple of hours old right now.

:eek:

We now have the new NFL & NFLPA drug testing protocols agreed and the likes of Wes Welker, returned to practice yesterday after his ban was lifted. Meanwhile, Brian Tyms is still banned. Oh it doesn't matter that he has been medicated for a medical condition going back to his childhood. Oh no, I mean fúck him for not submitting one form. Welker takes amphetamines to mask his serious concussion problems since becoming a Bronco. But hey, that's alright apparently, at least he didn't forget to submit a form. Now If anything was to sum up the bolloxology of the NFL, it has to be this bizarre nonsense.

:eek:

10522829_1464495047165167_1453664567_n.jpg

Mayo's sure going to be pissed when he finds out he's not the daddy...EE watch your back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

10522829_1464495047165167_1453664567_n.jpg

Mayo's sure going to be pissed when he finds out he's not the daddy...EE watch your back

Maybe EE is Jared Mayo!!!!!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement