Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Shocking victory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Yes big Vince :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Got out of jail tonight, looks like it'll be a tough season for the pats. That oline is a disaster but the whole offence looked out of sync

Take the safety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Balls gets tipped, Gronk drops it.

Ball gets tipped, big Vince catches it.

Conclusion: Vince has better hands than Gronk.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Talk about dodging a fooking bullet. If we play like that for the rest of the season we wont make the post season and even if we do we will be chewed up in the post season.

O line is so bad, they can't even protect Brady when he's taking a knee.:(

So much wrong with this team, not much has improved from Week 1...we'll be lucky to be 8-8 this season.

But for now I'm just going to enjoy this:

welolpvpyvalri3twbap.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Fat Vince had a better coverage grade than Nnamdi Revis for you guys today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

You guys must be really really bad to make us look not hugely inept. Interesting to see how the rest of your season goes.

• Advertisement

76 Rushing yards against the worst run defense in the league. And that in a nutshell, shows how shyte our O line is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,918 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It wasn't a great show but the W is the important thing. As long as we keep winning then things are good.

I won't panic, I've seen Belichick's teams do too many great things after looking shaky early in the season to be worried.

Roll on Kansas next week which won't be easy and then Cincy at home which will give us a good indication as to where this team is at.

LaFell looks like he is getting on the same page as Brady now. Dobson inactive again which suggests his time with New England is close to ending I think.

eagle eye wrote: »
    It wasn't a great show but the W is the important thing. As long as we keep winning then things are good.

I hate this excuse. Yes we all know a win is a win but come back with this nonsense when the post season rolls around and our backs are against the wall. Out team is not good enough to win the Super Bowl and isn't that what its all about.
    I won't panic, I've seen Belichick's teams do too many great things after looking shaky early in the season to be worried.

We all have but we all have seen the team be absolute garbage also even under Bill. The difference for me now than previous years is that we have lost one of our strengths, A strong O-line and a strong WR corp. Our defense is also hit and miss and Revis is not Revis.
    Roll on Kansas next week which won't be easy and then Cincy at home which will give us a good indication as to where this team is at.

Well it really wont. The post season will really tell us where the team is at. Because like previous years the teams around us could do enough to benefit us in the AFC East. The jury is still out on Miami/Bills and Jets also.
    LaFell looks like he is getting on the same page as Brady now. Dobson inactive again which suggests his time with New England is close to ending I think.

LaFell's problem is not getting on the same page. LaFells problem is his route running is garbage. Something he was only ok at in Carolina. We all hoped that would be fixed with us but nope nothing has changed. His draft profile:
    Weaknesses

LaFell possesses good top end speed but isn’t a true burner to consistently get deep at the next level. Suffers from lapses of concentration which lead to drops. Is not precise route-runner, is susceptible to press-coverage, and occasionally struggles to gain separation.

ByFWlzLIUAAEm-L.jpg

Great pic, but if Edelman takes this amount of damage, it could be a short season

Hazys wrote: »

Great pic, but if Edelman takes this amount of damage, it could be a short season

Shows how tough he is though but do agree only so much he can take. Cracking pic also.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Can't understand why ye would have Dobson inactive and play that waster La Fell. I thought my Saints had problems, but watching ye against the Phins and this game today, makes me feel a lot better. Worst Pats O line I've probably ever seen. Brady won't survive the season and that's a shocking thought for a HOF QB. Looked more like a Raiders against the Raiders game, than a game against the Pats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I can't figure out Dobson being left out completely like this, he was showing some good progress last year and other then maybe the Pats actually treating a player coming back from injury well for a change(and thats a stretch in fairness!) I just don't get it

kryogen wrote: »
    I can't figure out Dobson being left out completely like this, he was showing some good progress last year and other then maybe the Pats actually treating a player coming back from injury well for a change(and thats a stretch in fairness!) I just don't get it

I presumed it was because of injury

I presumed it was because of injury

He is being listed as a healthy scratch though, as I said, maybe they are treating him right, maybe they are just not rushing him back until he is 100%. I would be pleasantly surprised by that.

kryogen wrote: »
    He is being listed as a healthy scratch though, as I said, maybe they are treating him right, maybe they are just not rushing him back until he is 100%. I would be pleasantly surprised by that.

Healthy scratch doesn't necessarily mean he's 100% tho

• Advertisement

Healthy scratch doesn't necessarily mean he's 100% tho

True, and as I have said I hope that is the case, otherwise i just dont get it.

Dobson was left out because La Fell is a good blocker for the run game. Which is about all he's good for. That's Josh McDaniel's for ya, oh lets have a good blocking WR, rather than a good route running & evasive WR. We thought we'd get good mileage today against the worst run defense in the league. But true to form, we only ended up showing how poor our O line is by making a poor run defense look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

32 rushes for 76 yards against the worst ranked run defence in the league who gave up 212 and 188 yards in their first 2 games respectively. Granted, 2 games is a small sample size, but that's still not good enough. Nowhere near it. Also, Brady's 6.3 yards per attempt was pretty crappy too.

Polish representing today

ByFjtljIcAE8p__.png

Brady's 6.3 yards per attempt was pretty crappy too.

I wouldn't be worried about Brady or any QB's stats right now, especially when trying to stay alive behind that O line. If a QB ain't getting protection, then they can't do their job effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

A win is a win but my god, the offense stinks at the moment.
    That's two games in a row now where we've won in spite of our offense.
    Defense is making plays but we're going nowhere without getting the passing game fixed.

That was probably one of the most frustrating wins in a long time. The defense looked pretty solid especially against the run although we struggled to generate and real pressure on the QB. Revis played like he did in the first game which is a worry.

Don't even know where to start with the offense they were brutal. The O-Line is a disaster, if Brady keeps getting hit like that it won't be long before he's out injured. The run game was pretty non existent and why do we keep wasting carries on Boldin it's so frustrating.

The passing game just can't get going( apart from Edelman). Brady doesn't seem to trust any of them enough to throw it to them, Dobson was inactive instead of lefall or Danny which is becoming a joke at this stage.

As for Josh McDaniel's, his play calling is ridiculous. First series against the worst rush defense in the league and we throw it 3 times.

me89 wrote: »
    As for Josh McDaniel's, his play calling is ridiculous. First series against the worst rush defense in the league and we throw it 3 times.

Those first three snaps of our offense going with the pass, pretty much sums up McDaniels. Logic dictated we'd try and start the run game going against the worst run D. Then set up nicely for some play action and a pass game. But Josh always tries to be super clever and unconventional. Much like his fondness for running the ball when we are at 3rd & long. Why he uses Vereen for short yardage in the end zone is beyond me, because Ridley is really at his best in those situations and Vereen usually gets stuffed.

As for the O line, God help us. The only hope I have is them starting Stork from the beginning of the next game. They've brought him on in the 4th quarter for consecutive games now. He's my only hope to bring solidity to the line. The line play was so bad at times yesterday, you can't even single out one guy because they all gave up plays that resulted in near life ending moments for Brady. The contrast in watching the Broncos is eye opening. Even against the Seahawks, Manning could have changed his cleats and still had time to pass, his O line protection is that good. It makes me sick to see the shyte protection Brady has to deal with, especially at a point in his career when he needs good protection more than ever.

I had a look at our TE's and WR's and their production so far.

Edelman: 22/26 (260 Yards & 1 TD) 84.6% catch rate
    Tim Wright: 4/5 (35 Yards) 80% catch rate
    Thompkins: 6/10 (53 Yards) 60% catch rate
    Dobson: 1/2 (13 Yards) 50% catch rate
    Gronk: 11/23 (116 Yards & 2 TDs) 47.8% catch rate
    Amendola: 3/8 (16 Yards) 37.5% catch rate
    La Fell: 4/14 (46 Yards) 28.5% catch rate

The most important stat for me is their catch rate and the likelihood of them catching the ball. Edelman has been simply brilliant, bringing in a phenomenal 84% of all passes. Amendola, the guy getting paid more than him, is at 37.5%. Thompkins is going well at 60% yet he gets less snaps than La Fell, who's at a woeful 28.5% catch rate. Gronk is still nothing close to being Gronk. He still looks stiff & robotic in his movements. But it will come. Tim Wright, with the little opportunity he's had so far, has done very well.

And the reason I looked at these stats was because of Tim Wright. The guy played only 5 snaps yesterday, he was targeted once and caught a 20 yard pass. Overall he's 4/5 and with an 80% catch rate. He was a good pass catcher for the Buccs, we traded Mankins to bring him here and then we don't give him any play time. Of course we need to bring in Fleming, the extra Lineman and put him at TE to help our weak O line. So unfortunately Wright losses out.

There was one series in the game where Brady got out consecutive passes, to La Fell, Edelman and a 24 yard pass to Gronk. And this coincided with a rare good spell of decent O line play & protection. Brady had time to check his reads and spread the ball. Going forward, the bottom line for the offense is the O line. Because our offense is going nowhere if we can't sort them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,918 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Funny when people starting trashing the OC who was in charge when we went 16-0.

What is going on here? We have the best head coach in the NFL, we haven't had a losing season since 2000. We are 2-1 and its all out panic right here.

I read your post TO and I understand what you are saying but this is the New England Patriots and Bill Belichick we are talking about.

Anyways just came on to say that this panic stations stuff is just ridiculous imo. I'm sure everything will work out as per normal and we will go into the playoffs as one of the favourites to win the Superbowl. And if we don't, well maybe just maybe they have a two year plan or something.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Funny when people starting trashing the OC who was in charge when we went 16-0.

What is going on here? We have the best head coach in the NFL, we haven't had a losing season since 2000. We are 2-1 and its all out panic right here.

I read your post TO and I understand what you are saying but this is the New England Patriots and Bill Belichick we are talking about.

Anyways just came on to say that this panic stations stuff is just ridiculous imo. I'm sure everything will work out as per normal and we will go into the playoffs as one of the favourites to win the Superbowl. And if we don't, well maybe just maybe they have a two year plan or something.

It's hardly panic station's to be fair just a general observation on how the season is going so far, but if the O-line stays like this and Brady goes down we will have panic station's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement