Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Things getting pretty desperate in the secondary it seems.

421601_10151147070477372_1152920688_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Have to say this made some sense but didn't at the same time. Many suggestions that Mallet was doing well in camp and at times struggled but so did Hoyer. This article seems to suggest he was bad all the way through camp and pre-season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000056490/article/ryan-mallett-struggles-in-bid-for-patriots-backup-job?module=HP11_headline_stack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

CoachTO wrote: »

That article is rubbish, Mallett's performance against the Eagles and Bucs spoke for itself. Against the Giants he had a second string offense on the pitch and was clearly asked to game manage a conservative game plan with the emphasis on the running backs.

I loved reading this bit from that article...
    He does not look comfortable in the offense

I don't know what that guy Rosenthal is smoking, but he must have missed the preseason altogether. When Brady came off the pitch against the Bucs, Mallet took over, looked commanding in the pocket and lead an excellent late rally to nearly win the game. He demonstrated an excellent level of mobility escaping the sack for his two sweet TD passes. His second TD was simply fantastic. I described it in a previous post, so I'll not repeat myself.

Looking back further to the Eagles game, he really stepped up against an Eagles team loaded with starters. With terrible O-line protection, he handled the impressive Eagles pass-rush very well. Again showing good footwork and mobility under heavy pressure while leading three scoring drives.

The fourth preseason game is always a non-game really. Both QB's didn't really impress, but there was clearly a very conservative game plan in place for last nights game. I did think that Hoyer looked jumpy and tentative during preseason. And when he threw the interception that cost the game last night, McDaniels launched a tirade on the sideline and was not impressed at all.

Interestingly enough, the ESPN Pats page currently has a poll on who should be Brady's back up for 2012. At the moment 73% of fans are backing Mallett for the job.

Hoyer and Koppen Cut according to Boston Globe. News to follow

https://twitter.com/shalisemyoung/statuses/241584726090059776

I'm guessing Bill definitely disagrees with that NFL.com article about Mallet then. Very surprising Hoyer is being cut.

(Also, Brian Water's spot in the locker room was fully stocked today with all the Nike gear. Hopefully that's a good sign :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Did not see that coming.

Patriots released WR Deion Branch.

Or that.

Christ. Thought Branch was a lock with Gaffney and Stallworth gone.

On the plus side, hopefully that means we're keeping a roster spot for Waters.

Branch also cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

CoachTO wrote: »
    Branch also cut

Did not see that coming at all :-o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

jaysus, didnt see that at all. Well, no chance of a late trade of Welker now, but not leaving many options at WR with that many cut, despite them being veterans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I would've thought Branch was safe once Gaffney was released. Thought Branch had a very good pre-season....

We can still resign players. Branch or Gaffney are possibilities.

Gronk's brother Dan is on waivers as well. More TEs!

3qpqm6.jpg

Ebert also released.

Jeff Demps put on IR.

Jeff Demps put on IR.

This is 100% a move to keep him in NE without cutting him or putting him in practice squad. His MRI showed no damage after injury. I going to go and say he has a minor injury but the Pats are going to stick him on IR to keep him around.

Here is the 53 man Roster well 52 man roster. Seems a spot is being held for someone :
    Offense (22):
    Quarterbacks (2): Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett
    Running backs (4): Steven Ridley, Shane Vereen, Danny Woodhead, Brandon Bolden
    Wide receivers (4): Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Julian Edelman, Matthew Slater
    Tight ends (4): Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Daniel Fells, Visanthe Shiancoe
    Offensive line (8): Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer, Marcus Cannon, Logan Mankins, Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell, Donald Thomas, Nick McDonald

Defense (27):
    Defensive end (6): Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Jermaine Cunningham, Trevor Scott, Justin Francis, Jake Bequette
    Defensive tackle (5): Vince Wilfork, Kyle Love, Brandon Deaderick, Ron Brace, Marcus Forston
    Linebacker (6): Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Dont'a Hightower, Bobby Carpenter, Tracy White, Mike Rivera
    Cornerback (6): Devin McCourty, Kyle Arrington, Ras-I Dowling, Sterling Moore, Marquice Cole, Alfonzo Dennard
    Safety (4): Patrick Chung, Steve Gregory, Tavon Wilson, Nate Ebner

Special teams (3):
    Kicker (1): Stephen Gostkowski
    Punter (1): Zoltan Mesko
    Long snapper (1): Danny Aiken

Reserve lists:
    Injured reserve (9): RB Jeff Demps, FB Spencer Larsen, TE Brad Herman, OL Kyle Hix, OL Jamey Richard, LB Dane Fletcher, CB Ross Ventrone, S Will Allen, S Josh Barrett
    Physically unable to perform (2): DL Myron Pryor, TE Jake Ballard
    Non-football injury (1): OL Markus Zusevics
    Did not report (1): Brian Waters
    Left squad (1): Tony Fiammetta

Hmmm, 52. It's as if there's one guy we're waiting for :)

Im confident Waters will be back in the next few days.

Missed all the excitement today because of a wedding :(. Branch getting cut was the only real surprise for me. After the fourth preseason game I just thought the writing was on the wall for Koppen. Despite the addition of Brandon Lloyd, our receiving corp does looks pretty thin. But I suppose with Hernandez, we have have an offensive weapon that can play anywhere. If he stays healthy, I really think he's going to have a phenomenal season. I'm really pleased to see Mallett get the back up QB job and I'll eat my socks if Waters isn't back in the locker room in the next few days.

We've traded for Greg Salas. Interesting move, loved him in college and having worked with Josh before, it could be a good move.

We've traded for Greg Salas. Interesting move, loved him in college and having worked with Josh before, it could be a good move.

We were looking a bit thin with our receiver depth after recent cuts, so this move is welcome. At 24 years old, it's nice to see a young receiver coming in and his familiarity with the McDaniels offense is a big plus.

In other moves, the Patriots added the following seven players to the practice squad: OL Thomas Austin, FB Eric Kettani, WR Sam Kirkland, OL Matt Kopa, TE Alex Silvestro, LB Jeff Tarpinian and DB Malcolm Williams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Goose_Hyypia

We were looking a bit thin with our receiver depth after recent cuts, so this move is welcome. At 24 years old, it's nice to see a young receiver coming in and his familiarity with the McDaniels offense is a big plus.

In other moves, the Patriots added the following seven players to the practice squad: OL Thomas Austin, FB Eric Kettani, WR Sam Kirkland, OL Matt Kopa, TE Alex Silvestro, LB Jeff Tarpinian and DB Malcolm Williams.

Hopefully Salas offers something. Just seems a strange move to me after having Branch, Gaffney & Stallworth. McDaniels must really rate him.

I assume the Patriots didnt think they'd get him on waiver, which is why they gave up a late pick in 2015 Draft.

Hopefully Salas offers something. Just seems a strange move to me after having Branch, Gaffney & Stallworth. McDaniels must really rate him. .

His age is a big factor here I think along with his familiarity with Josh. He was also pretty productive until he broke his leg last season. So I think it's a good move. Josh obviously really likes the kids going by what he seen from working with him last season.

The only real shock for me was Branch, his locker is still right beside Brady's and apparently hasn't been touched. So watch this space, because he might be back in a Pats' uniform again.

I see Dont'a Hightower has been given the No.54 jersey, previously worn by the legendary Tedy Bruschi. Looks even less likely now that Brian Waters will return, because he wore it last season. At this point I actually hope he doesn't come back, with this dragged out stay away bullshít.

His age is a big factor here I think along with his familiarity with Josh. He was also pretty productive until he broke his leg last season. So I think it's a good move. Josh obviously really likes the kids going by what he seen from working with him last season.

The only real shock for me was Branch, his locker is still right beside Brady's and apparently hasn't been touched. So watch this space, because he might be back in a Pats' uniform again.

I also heard Gaffney may be back if he gets healthy ?

I also heard Gaffney may be back if he gets healthy ?

He very well could, his injury was the only real issue behind the cut. When he sorts that out and when the window opens, he could come back alright. But I think Branch will be the first in line because his big game record is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Gaffney's going for a work out with the Dolphins. They're thin at WR so I think he'll sign there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I see Dont'a Hightower has been given the No.54 jersey, previously worn by the legendary Tedy Bruschi. Looks even less likely now that Brian Waters will return, because he wore it last season. At this point I actually hope he doesn't come back, with this dragged out stay away bullshít.
    I want him to come back. You seen our OL in preseason, we need all the help we can get and he is really good.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I want him to come back. You seen our OL in preseason, we need all the help we can get and he is really good.

I'm just pissed with all the will he? won't he shyte? At the end of the day could you imagine if Brady, Wilfork or Mankins decide not to bother their arses attending training camp. They don't need to go because they are that good, but they are team players and always have been.

Then I suppose the Patriot way just flows through their veins. Listening to Brady speaking at the start of camp, must have been so inspiring and a wonderful example to younger players. Just listening to him speaking about competing and hoping to get a place on the roster, I mean the humility of the guy.

The difference is Waters is a 'me' first man, it's all about him. His behaviour and the example he sets is not the patriot way, his attitude couldn't be more different than that of Brady, Wilfork and Mankins. So we do need his skills but we don't need his attitude or the examples he sets.

I'm just pissed with all the will he? won't he shyte? At the end of the day could you imagine if Brady, Wilfork or Mankins decide not to bother their arses attending training camp. They don't need to go because they are that good, but they are team players and always have been.

Then I suppose the Patriot way just flows through their veins. Listening to Brady speaking at the start of camp, must have been so inspiring and a wonderful example to younger players. Just listening to him speaking about competing and hoping to get a place on the roster, I mean the humility of the guy.

The difference is Waters is a 'me' first man, it's all about him. His behaviour and the example he sets is not the patriot way, his attitude couldn't be more different than that of Brady, Wilfork and Mankins. So we do need his skills but we don't need his attitude or the examples he sets.

There are some personal issues at play here. Apparently he lives in Dallas, his family wont move, stuff like that.

• Advertisement

There are some personal issues at play here. Apparently he lives in Dallas, his family wont move, stuff like that.

I dont buy the personal issues. He is old and lazy when it comes to camp. He is not alone many older players in the league would miss camp if they had the choice and many hate it. Remember what Favre said about it. I can still see him turning up and we need him to be honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement