Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

CJC86 wrote: »
    @GregABedard: Breaking: Entire population of New England declared inactive for Bengals game for mouthing off to McDaniels.

Bedard is usually excellent, so when he is on the story you can take it as well founded.

Here's my guess on how the Dobson benching occurred.

Dobson: "Hey coach McDaniels."

McDaniel's: "Yes Aaron."

Dobson: "Can I ask you a question?"

McDaniel's: "Of course you can Aaron."

Dobson: "How come you keep playing the deep ball to Julian and not me?"

McDaniel's: "What did you say!?"

Dobson: "Why do you keep throwing the deep ball to one of our smallest WR's? I mean, wasn't I drafted to stretch the field and to provide the deep threat?"

McDaniel's: "That's it! How dare you speak sense to me. Don't you know who I am?"

Dobson: "Ya, you're the guy who always seems to help the other team?"

McDaniel's: "Nobody speaks to Josh too clever for his own good McDaniel's like that. You're benched!!!"

paulie21 wrote: »
    You have to tow a line in New England. Remember Welker getting benched against Jets in 2010 playoffs for making fun of Rex Ryan's foot fetish even though Rex said he didn't mind as it was a no holds barred week

Difference was, Wes did that in public, in front of the media gaze. What happened between Dobson & McDaniel's happened in private and was an in-house matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

BizzyC wrote: »
    IMO it depends on what is said.

If a guy is mouthing off cause he's frustrated with reps etc, take him aside.
    You can't bear a grudge against someone for wanting to play.

But if he's being properly disrespectful to a coach, bench him till he learns some respect.

I honestly don't agree. Unless Dobson got personal and insulted McDaniels to the extent you have to take action then you might have grounds to bench the guy. They are grown men and the Patriots are a powerful organisation in any players eyes.

If this was his first offense you pull him into even Krafts office and give him a bollocking and work it out. IF he is still disrespectful after that you bench his ass.

But this is a typical example of the Bill and Co going straight to the excessive punishment trying to teach guys. Bill is one of the most feared coaches in the league as players know they need to work their asses off for him to gain respect. If he pulls you into an office you know you are fooked. So that threat alone would be enough to rattle you and make you strengthen up.

Game suspensions are excessive for mouthing off in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

TBF we don't know the extent of it and if was deserved.

Did McDaniels overreact or did Dobson really cross the line?

There are a lot of issues with the Pats right now but one is certainly play calling. We dressed 5 RBs and 3 WRs for the Chiefs game but in the first 3 plays of the game and for the majority of the game, we played 3 WR sets and tried to pass the ball.

The worst was whenever we ran the ball with Ridley on first down, he would gain 5 yards...then inexplicably we would take him out and on 2nd down, try a silly draw with Vereen or deep pass or something stupid setting ourselves up for a 3rd and medium, that more times than not we didn't convert.

Ridley finished the game with 5 rushes for 28 yards as 5.6 yard per carry average.

FFS We should have ran the ball up the gut until Kansas were able to stop us!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

paulie21 wrote: »
    You have to tow a line in New England. Remember Welker getting benched against Jets in 2010 playoffs for making fun of Rex Ryan's foot fetish even though Rex said he didn't mind as it was a no holds barred week

Different situation, Welker sat out one series for publicly mocking an opposing coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

TO. wrote: »
    Game suspensions are excessive for mouthing off in my opinion.

You can't make that call without knowing what was said.
    For all we know they did sit Dobson down for a chat and didn't see much of a response.

BizzyC wrote: »
    You can't make that call without knowing what was said.
    For all we know they did sit Dobson down for a chat and didn't see much of a response.

To be fair it is my opinion. I have said above where I draw the line. It's true I don't know what was said but the way I see it if it was bad he would have been cut not benched. As I said personal attacks are the only valid reason I would bench a guy and in fact I would probably cut him if it really was bad.

So far we haven't been given the details but knowing the Pats and how we handle things it doesnt surprise me if the "Mouthing Off" was minimal and they benched him for it. As lets face it we sit guys all the time.

Hazys wrote: »
    TBF we don't know the extent of it and if was deserved.

Did McDaniels overreact or did Dobson really cross the line?

There are a lot of issues with the Pats right now but one is certainly play calling. We dressed 5 RBs and 3 WRs for the Chiefs game but in the first 3 plays of the game and for the majority of the game, we played 3 WR sets and tried to pass the ball.

The worst was whenever we ran the ball with Ridley on first down, he would gain 5 yards...then inexplicably we would take him out and on 2nd down, try a silly draw with Vereen or deep pass or something stupid setting ourselves up for a 3rd and medium, that more times than not we didn't convert.

Ridley finished the game with 5 rushes for 28 yards as 5.6 yard per carry average.

FFS We should have ran the ball up the gut until Kansas were able to stop us!!!

This is the type of play calling that has p1ssed us all off going back a few years. Always reminds me of a few years back the Jets beat us in the playoffs and we changed our whole system to try be smart and it lost us the game even though the Jets couldn't handle our screens and underneath passes in the regular season game.

Sometimes I think we out smart ourselves never mind the opposition

Ya i definitely think he's trying to be too smart with the offense and is basically forgetting winning the basic fundamentals of football and trying to win by finesse offense. Its clear our WRs and Oline don't give us the ability to play a finesse passing game.

I think we have a reasonable chance to be a good heavy running team that utilizes play action. We have very good RBs and poor WRs and a QB who is not in form right now. We know the Oline are struggling with pass protection too, can they run block better than they pass block? I think they can and are. Is it too obvious that we should be running more than passing or what?

Although saying that, we sucked running the ball against the Raiders :o

True but I find when you rotate your backs so often you lose consitency. The 1 down back system is really not working for us. 1st and 2nd down should be Ridley pounding it. 3rd and Short Ridley or a Screen Pass to Vereen. 3rd and Long Vereen also as he gives us a passing option out of the backfield.

The odd time we play like the above and it works but when we go pass heavy Ridley becomes a 1 down back and then we see Bolden as he can pass block. So 2 become 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

As lets face it we sit guys all the time.

We sit them, but you'll usually see them at some stage.

So this looks to me like either Josh is going off the deep end here, or Dobson's situation was more problematic than you might assume.
    I'd be inclined to think the former. Josh is not in my good books right now.

On the plus side, Tyms back in practice...so Brady will have another weapon that Josh can scheme out of the game.

We know the Oline are struggling with pass protection too, can they run block better than they pass block? I think they can and are. Is it too obvious that we should be running more than passing or what?

I remember Mankins saying in a locker room interview last season, he said the O line loves running the ball and any chance they to get away from pass protection.

2.4 yards a carry on 32 attempts against the Raiders.
    4.7 yards a carry on 16 attempts against the Chiefs.

Josh sticks with the run when we can't run. And won't run it when we can. Against the Chiefs run it down their throats, silence the crowd, slow the game down and give our defense a break. We could have done all of that if we had of gone with the run. But that's too simplistic for clever clogs McDaniel's, he likes doing the abstract and the nonsensical. Always over thinking things, always over complicating things. I really hope Bill puts an end to this and demands we stick with what works.

Tyms and Browner are both back...who did they cut to free up 2 roster spaces? Or don't they have to straight away cos i don't see any info online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Thread is reopened now and I'll move across the McDaniels content to it now as well. I just want to say guys that, by and large, there's never any real modding to be done on our forum...bits of spam are the height of it! But that's mostly because I don't have to police threads regularly, we all show respect to each other and get that returned to us. We've had some users come in recently and they've been given a permanent holiday because they were only here stirring and I hope that we don't have any more issues during the season with those type of users.
    That being said I felt that there was a lot of attacks on users rather than posters in the last few days and it's important that we all show the right amount of respect to each other but I know that at times it's gets a bit like training camp at the minute where it's all getting a bit heated and we need to start hitting in pads every now and again! So as long as we avoid big blow ups I'm happy and 99% of the time there's little to be done within the forum but if anyone has a personal problem with other users don't be afraid to take the conversation to PM to get the air cleared. I'm always available as well so feel free to drop me a line as well.
    Anyway, lets get back to football!

Tyms and Browner are both back...who did they cut to free up 2 roster spaces? Or don't they have to straight away cos i don't see any info online?

I'm not up to speed on this but I think they have an exemption for up to 1 week after they return. So I think nobody has to be cut yet, I think the decision will have to be made by week 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,918 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is the type of play calling that has p1ssed us all off going back a few years. Always reminds me of a few years back the Jets beat us in the playoffs and we changed our whole system to try be smart and it lost us the game even though the Jets couldn't handle our screens and underneath passes in the regular season game.

Sometimes I think we out smart ourselves never mind the opposition
    That wasn't Josh McDaniels though.

We have until Monday to sort it out.

I'd imagine Skinner and maybe Hoomanawanui will be cut.

eagle eye wrote: »
    That wasn't Josh McDaniels though.

I didn't say it was. I was making the point it is nothing new with the Patriots. Josh may be the OC but he doesn't plan games on his own. If you are going to quote me don't take me out of context.

We have until Monday to sort it out.

I'd imagine Skinner and maybe Hoomanawanui will be cut.

They are both on the original 53 are they not? According to our the final 53 from camp they were on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

frostie500 wrote: »
    Thread is reopened now ....
    Damn you frostie, we all got benched for 24hrs just because of some mouthing off! :P
    You're like Josh McDaniel's :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Damn you frostie, we all got benched for 24hrs just because of some mouthing off! :P
    You're like Josh McDaniel's :D

Back chat like that aint gonna fly around here! There'll be no football for anyone and we'll have to go back to using the NFL UK forum! :D

I didn't say it was. I was making the point it is nothing new with the Patriots. Josh may be the OC but he doesn't plan games on his own. If you are going to quote me don't take me out of context.
    I'm not taking you out of context just making the point. Its just nothing new with the Patriots to plan things differently than expected. It normally works out well too.

I just felt it had to be cleared up that Josh was not in charge during that Jets game for those that might not know.

I'm not taking you out of context just making the point. Its just nothing new with the Patriots to plan things differently than expected. It normally works out well too.

I just felt it had to be cleared up that Josh was not in charge during that Jets game for those that might not know.

Why did it have to be cleared up? My point had nothing to do with Josh when I mentioned the previous game. It was a general point. Reading it I thought that was clear.

Why did it have to be cleared up? My point had nothing to do with Josh when I mentioned the previous game. It was a general point. Reading it I thought that was clear.
    Well I just thought that some people might read it and think that Josh was in charge then so I just made it clear.

Just got tickets for Sunday...they better bounce back!!

Tickets are going cheap for the game for anybody who's interested: https://seatgeek.com/bengals-at-patriots-tickets/10-5-2014-foxborough-massachusetts-gillette-stadium/nfl/2101737/

Just got tickets for Sunday...they better bounce back!!

Tickets are going cheap for the game for anybody who's interested: https://seatgeek.com/bengals-at-patriots-tickets/10-5-2014-foxborough-massachusetts-gillette-stadium/nfl/2101737/

Was going to pick up tickets then the misses informed me we already have plans. :D Mad thing is all of the tickets have come down in price. Im trying to sell a ticket for the Jets game on the 16th. Hazys if you fancy going let me know will sell to you at good price. Thursday night game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Bill said he'd comment on it later. If he had just said it was a football decision, then you could sense maybe something went on and he's only saying it's a football decision. But the fact he denied it outright has me believing him. He may BS the media at times, but if they'd ever anything he doesn't want to confirm he usually sidesteps it (with tremendous deadpan) rather than actually denying it.

Be interesting to see what he says later.

• Advertisement

Just got tickets for Sunday...

Im trying to sell a ticket for the Jets game on the 16th. Hazys if you fancy going let me know will sell to you at good price.

Well isn't it great for ye lads, just living around the corner from Gillette and all that........

8qMY4f.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement