Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,919 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Fair enough. Just on Tyms, I'm not sold on him yet. Yes he was impressive in preseason but we've seen that before and it didn't work out in the regular season.

All I'm saying is that one of those three was likely to go and obviously they value Dobson and Tyms higher than Thompkins.

LaFell's show last week hopefully becomes a regular thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

One of the few young WR's in the Belichick era that managed to build a chemistry with Brady and earn his trust. And what do we do? Not only limit his game time, but now he's cut. Yet he's done more than the overpaid Amendola has ever done for us. Or keeping a WR because he's a good blocker, who's not shown an real talent for getting open and running routes. Brady spoke several times during camp & preseason about the trust he has for Thompkins. I can only imagine Brady must be getting really tired of this s**t.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I don't want to over react like some supporters of other teams on here, but I'm slowly coming to the thought that not only will we miss playoffs this year, but we will be in free fall. Brady's time is coming sooner than I thought it would, and in Bill we trust is a load of crock now and I see his time coming soon too. All the years spent preparing for the future instead of loading a team and go all out to win was a waste. Nothing to show for it only division titles, and a waste of having one of the best QB in league history. So much lost potential.

I don't care if that is called panicking or if it sounds too defeatist, I genuinely think the ride is slowing down, and we'll be back to mid league obscurity soon. It had to come. The on field performances, and the really obscure off field ones really leaves me questioning where the team is heading.

And obviously I'll flip flop back to everything is great if we beat the Bengals!

Vandango wrote: »
    One of the few young WR's in the Belichick era that managed to build a chemistry with Brady and earn his trust. And what do we do? Not only limit his game time, but now he's cut. Yet he's done more than the overpaid Amendola has ever done for us. Or keeping a WR because he's a good blocker, who's not shown an real talent for getting open and running routes. Brady spoke several times during camp & preseason about the trust he has for Thompkins. I can only imagine Brady must be getting really tired of this s**t.
    If that is about LaFell, you do realise he had 119 yards and a td on our last game?

While it wasn't part of a great overall performance, it is something positive to take from that game. It may be a case that he has finally got in sync with the offense.

bruschi wrote: »
    I don't want to over react like some supporters of other teams on here, but I'm slowly coming to the thought that not only will we miss playoffs this year, but we will be in free fall. Brady's time is coming sooner than I thought it would, and in Bill we trust is a load of crock now and I see his time coming soon too. All the years spent preparing for the future instead of loading a team and go all out to win was a waste. Nothing to show for it only division titles, and a waste of having one of the best QB in league history. So much lost potential.

I don't care if that is called panicking or if it sounds too defeatist, I genuinely think the ride is slowing down, and we'll be back to mid league obscurity soon. It had to come. The on field performances, and the really obscure off field ones really leaves me questioning where the team is heading.

And obviously I'll flip flop back to everything is great if we beat the Bengals!
    The 'In Bill we trust' thing is because we have not had a losing season since 2000, that is 13 seasons of winning seasons. I think it would be very unfair to say that one bad season would change your position on that. And thats if we have a bad season, there is still time to get things right.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    The 'In Bill we trust' thing is because we have not had a losing season since 2000, that is 13 seasons of winning seasons. I think it would be very unfair to say that one bad season would change your position on that. And thats if we have a bad season, there is still time to get things right.

Yeah I was just really pissed off this morning to hear about Thompkins being cut. But still, bill shouldn't be immune from criticism, and it's getting harder and harder to defend a lot of his decisions and strategies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

bruschi, do you really think we'll miss the playoffs? One of the main reasons I'm not too worries about this season is because of our division. I feel pretty confident that we'll make the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

bruschi wrote: »
    Brady's time is coming sooner than I thought it would, and in Bill we trust is a load of crock now and I see his time coming soon too.

Brady's time will come to an end sooner that expected behind a non-existent O line. His play this season has been totally effected by their poor play in front of him. Prior to the start of the season, I don't think anyone would have questioned whether Brady would see out his contract. Even if his play naturally reflects the aging process, he's coming from a level way above most. We play the Bengals today, Dalton has not been sacked at all this season and has only 10 pressures or hits against him. While Brady has been sacked 9 times and has a total of 55 sacks, pressures and hit against him. The highest in the league. And while he continues to play behind this 'protection' I don't think we'll be seeing the real Brady until that is sorted out, if it ever is.

He's spent 15 years carrying the Pats offense and I think last year was his greatest season ever. It was nothing short of a miracle to lose an entire WR corp and still get us to the AFC Championship game. Doing a lot with very little should be the Brady motto. It was the interior O line failure in that AFC title game which sealed our doom. Now it's an entire O line failure that could be sealing our season. Brady can do nearly everything except be his own O line. I think he has probably reached the end of his tether, he can't carry the offense anymore, he needs help and he's not getting any. And that for me is what will unexpectedly shorten his career. And now Thompkins is gone, a kid Brady has spoken very highly off. A guy he said he trusts and loves playing with. But the one good thing is, the NFL world is looking at us right now and talking about how shyte our O line & WR's are. They're scratching their heads at our mystifying play calling and wondering who will help Brady? My only hope is that this might shame them into action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Imagine Brady with the Texans team to play with, scary prospect there.

• Advertisement

paulie21 wrote: »
    Well we all know that this didn't come from Brady and is most likely media bull****.

I don't read or listen to anything about the Patriots unless it comes from somebody like Mike Reiss, Christopher Price or the lads on Pats Pulpit and WEEI and obviously the team itself(you won't get much there).

The only other stuff I hear/read is when somebody puts it up on here.

There is far too much rubbish about the Patriots and probably every other team too out there. Twitter for instance is full of rubbish all the time and some people have gotten so caught up in social media that they don't know the difference anymore between good and bad sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Where does Brady draw the line though?

He has some tough choices, play for a team that realistically won't be championship material for another 5 years.( if they continue what they're doing)

Or look for a trade release play with a team that has everything besides a QB. And look for one maybe two chances of glory to cement a legacy.

Masked Man wrote: »
    bruschi, do you really think we'll miss the playoffs? One of the main reasons I'm not too worries about this season is because of our division. I feel pretty confident that we'll make the playoffs.

I'm not as confident as that anyway. Miami already gave us a hiding, and the rest of the division has a slightly less hard match up too. Only thing is they might beat each other up and spread the wins, but the way it looks now it wouldn't surprise me at all not to win the east

empacher wrote: »
    Where does Brady draw the line though?

He has some tough choices, play for a team that realistically won't be championship material for another 5 years.( if they continue what they're doing)

Or look for a trade release play with a team that has everything besides a QB. And look for one maybe two chances of glory to cement a legacy.

Unlikely to happen, but I wouldn't blame Brady if he came out and said - "You know what? I can't put up with this shít anymore." The guy has gone above and beyond for this team so many times. Never mind the on field heroics, he has restructured his contract three times down through the years to help the team with cap space. Next year Brady will only be on $7 million, about $1 million less than Solder will be getting. It's beginning to look like if Brady wants a good O line and some quality WR's. The only way he might get this is through a trade. And for what he has done for the Pats franchise, I wouldn't begrudge him going elsewhere to get another ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

When is the Bengals game Irish time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Tristram wrote: »
    When is the Bengals game Irish time?

1:30AM Channel 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I may get an early night out of it if the Bengals turn up ready to rock

Unlikely to happen, but I wouldn't blame Brady if he came out and said - "You know what? I can't put up with this shít anymore." The guy has gone above and beyond for this team so many times. Never mind the on field heroics, he has restructured his contract three times down through the years to help the team with cap space. Next year Brady will only be on $7 million, about $1 million less than Solder will be getting. It's beginning to look like if Brady wants a good O line and some quality WR's. The only way he might get this is through a trade. And for what he has done for the Pats franchise, I wouldn't begrudge him going elsewhere to get another ring.
    You'd swear we were an awful franchise the way you are talking. We have been in the AFC Championship game for the last three years.

You are like one of the new or younger fans who only remember great times and can't handle a bit of mediocrity.

You'd swear we were an awful franchise the way you are talking. We have been in the AFC Championship game for the last three years.

You are like one of the new or younger fans who only remember great times and can't handle a bit of mediocrity.

Mediocrity is where I see it too. For myself, I can handle it, it's about accepting it now, which I think is a different matter. The quality there now tho shouldn't be mediocre, which is why it is harder to accept it.

Why should we accept mediocrity when there is no good reason for it at all. How many draft picks have been stored? How many players have been let walk over a small amount of money, in the grand scheme of things? Mediocrity is not something to aspire to or willingly accept. Constantly adapting and improving is what this organisation should be aspiring to. Making the most of having a GOAT qb would have been nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Jaysus. Pretty certain he's been a Pats fan longer than you. Not that that should even come in to it.:rolleyes:

Putin wrote: »
    Jaysus. Pretty certain he's been a Pats fan longer than you. Not that that should even come in to it.:rolleyes:
    I know he is a long time Pats fan like myself and a couple of others here.

kryogen wrote: »
    Why should we accept mediocrity when there is no good reason for it at all. How many draft picks have been stored? How many players have been let walk over a small amount of money, in the grand scheme of things? Mediocrity is not something to aspire to or willingly accept. Constantly adapting and improving is what this organisation should be aspiring to. Making the most of having a GOAT qb would have been nice
    Making the AFC championship game for the last three seasons is doing a lot. Its one game away from the Superbowl and we've made in there once in the last three years.

Just because we haven't won a Superbowl for 10 years does not mean that the Patriots have been awful. We've consistently been among the best teams in the league. Once you reach the playoffs a certain amount of luck comes into it. Everytime you go on the field in the playoffs you have one game to keep your season alive, one less than stellar performance and you are out. A couple of injuries and your chances diminish greatly.

Last season we made the AFC Championship game, we went into that game without Gronk, Mayo, Wilfork and then Talib got injured early in the game. Thats four of our most important players that were missing from that game.

Now look at this season. We have Mayo and Wilfork back from serious injuries, its going to take time before they are back to their very best. We have a hugely disappointing Darelle Revis who everybody was raving about before the season began. Some of our fans are saying we are cheap but we signed up this guy on a big contract.

I think fans are being very unfair with their criticism of the team so early into the season.

I didnt say we have been awful, I said we have not made the most out of the talent we have. Bit of a difference. Ill get into the rest later, on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I'm still a big believer in both Tom and Bill.

But this year the OL is so bad that we can't get going on offense.
    And I can't see how it's going to get better tonight.

I didn't fancy our chances last week, and I've that same feeling this week.
    We're not playing good football, and it's the OL that's really killing us.

I was hopeful on the defence, but the 3-4 isn't working, and we've yet to play a real SB contender (tonight that changes).

If there's a repeat performance from last week, then we'll get blown out again.
    I don't hold Dalton in huge regard, but it's a quality team that surrounds him on both sides of the ball.

I'm hopeful rather than having the required confidence tonight to expect a Pats win..
    We've been an average NFL team for the first 4 weeks, so it's a lot to turnaround and expect to beat a good team.

I won't get to see the game live, so I'm really hoping that the Pats can click and begin to improve, and even maybe bring back some of those big wins from last in Gillette (Saints, Broncos, Steelers).
    This AFC East is wide open due to four teams playing at an average level; would anyone be surprised if 9:7 won the division?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Dobson is active, Hightower is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Dobson active, but no Hightower :(

At least the Jets still suck, something to keep me happy regardless of what happens. :D

Absolutely no idea why you would even feel the need to go there. Totally unnecessary.

• Advertisement

Absolutely no idea why you would even feel the need to go there. Totally unnecessary.
    Your post sounded like somebody who thinks the New England Patriots are an awful franchise and no hopers.

I'm not calling you one of the newer fans but its what I'd expect from one of them because they've been spoiled rotten by the greatness of Belichick and Brady.

Without checking, iirc Brady has not lost any money by restructuring. Fair play to him for doing it but I don't think it ever hurt his pocket.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement