Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

I can handle Mediocrity and have lived it with the Pats and many other different sports teams I follow but the team the Pats have right now there is no reason why we should be mediocre. We didn't lose Bill or Tom or most of the players we have. We are just playing sh1te. Big difference between going back to the team we once were to a team that is grossly under performing.

Jason La Canforna makes some very good points. Brady Trade bait. Don't necessarily agree with him but some good points. Love the timing of the article though game still 12 hours away when it was written.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24738377/tom-brady-eyes-playing-into-40s-putting-him-in-patriot-way-peril

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,919 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

TO. wrote: »
    Jason La Canforna makes some very good points. Brady Trade bait. Don't necessarily agree with him but some good points. Love the timing of the article though game still 12 hours away when it was written.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24738377/tom-brady-eyes-playing-into-40s-putting-him-in-patriot-way-peril
    Its easy to write things about the Patriots right now with the way the fans are going on. They will bit at anything and that means more attention for the media pundits that are willing to throw things out there. La Canfora is well able to make it look good and intelligent but as you pretty much pointed out, timing is everything and he put that out on gameday giving people a long time to think about it before the game. All he needs is another bad loss to make people believe he is on the money.

TO. wrote: »
    I can handle Mediocrity and have lived it with the Pats and many other different sports teams I follow but the team the Pats have right now there is no reason why we should be mediocre. We didn't lose Bill or Tom or most of the players we have. We are just playing sh1te. Big difference between going back to the team we once were to a team that is grossly under performing.
    Yeah and if it was one player or just on one side of the ball then there might be reason to call for heads to roll but its on both sides of the ball and to me it looks like nobody is rolling at full speed at the minute. That is why I'm thinking this is a longer term plan.

Look at our schedule over the first four weeks. We might have been looking at it as a guaranteed 2-2 and maybe even a 3-1 start without the players in prime condition. The thing that has been hurting the Patriots over the last couple of years is players going down late in the season or in the postseason. There might be a plan in New England this time around to coast along for as long as they can and reduce the chances of players falling apart later in the season. Its the only reasonable positive explanation I can come up with for what has gone on so far this season. I did say it after two weeks, I'm not just coming up with it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

eagle eye wrote: »
    Now look at this season. We have Mayo and Wilfork back from serious injuries, its going to take time before they are back to their very best.

Wilfork was pushed around so badly last week, it looked like he was on roller skates. He's 33 next month, he's best years are behind him. And that's one of the reasons he got the contract he did and not the one he wanted.
    We have a hugely disappointing Darelle Revis who everybody was raving about before the season began.

Unfortunately like Greg Schiano when he was with the Buccs, we are using him in Zone defense and it is not working. Revis needs to be put on man coverage. If we could do it last year with Talib, we should be doing it with Revis. Revis has not impressed, but I think we need to see him in man coverage to see if he performs better. And if he doesn't, then adios amigo.

I think fans are being very unfair with their criticism of the team so early into the season.

What's unfair about justified criticism? It's not as if the team is cruising along playing well and people are nit picking for the sake of it. We have an OC that is making some of the most mind boggling play calls the NFL will see this year. Runs the ball when the run isn't working and won't pass when we should be. People knew last March as we entered FA, that the likes of Wilfork and Mankins would probably be asked to renegotiate their contracts. My point us, why did we end up with Mankins getting traded at the start of the season? Bad enough losing Scar, adopting to a new coach, but losing the leader and toughest man on the O line so late was ridiculous. Baffling how they didn't let this happen before camp? Rather than on the cusp of the season, which just unsettled the O line further. A lot of Pats fans aren't happy right now and they are quite justified in feeling that way imo.

• Advertisement

Wilfork was pushed around so badly last week, it looked like he was on roller skates. He's 33 next month, he's best years are behind him. And that's one of the reasons he got the contract he did and not the one he wanted.

Unfortunately like Greg Schiano when he was with the Buccs, we are using him in Zone defense and it is not working. Revis needs to be put on man coverage. If we could do it last year with Talib, we should be doing it with Revis. Revis has not impressed, but I think we need to see him in man coverage to see if he performs better. And if he doesn't, then adios amigo.

What's unfair about justified criticism? It's not as if the team is cruising along playing well and people are nit picking for the sake of it. We have an OC that is making some of the most mind boggling play calls the NFL will see this year. Runs the ball when the run isn't working and won't pass when we should be. People knew last March as we entered FA, that the likes of Wilfork and Mankins would probably be asked to renegotiate their contracts. My point us, why did we end up with Mankins getting traded at the start of the season? Bad enough losing Scar, adopting to a new coach, but losing the leader and toughest man on the O line so late was ridiculous. Baffling how they didn't let this happen before camp? Rather than on the cusp of the season, which just unsettled the O line further. A lot of Pats fans aren't happy right now and they quite justified in feeling that way imo.
    Calling them cheap for one thing, saying that the OC is a huge problem when you really don't know anything about why pretty much everybody on the team is under-performing.

And saying that Pats fans aren't happy right now. Well tough to them guys, poor guys have watched us win three superbowls in 14 years, poor guys have seen us having winning seasons for 14 years. Poor guys have seen us win five AFC Championship games in 14 years. Poor guys have seen us win a ridic amount of divisional titles in 14 years and contest more Superbowls than any other team in 14 years.

They are allowed to have a bad season or a slow start as is the case right now. Any fan who is giving out because we are 2-2 and haven't looked good needs to open his eyes and see how lucky he has been to be a Patriots fan for the last 14 years.

So much living in the past and not living in the now. Would love to work for a company who couldn't give a toss or criticise my work today because my work in the past was stellar even though I am going through a rough patch and not living up to the reputation I built for myself.

How dare we question our team because what they have given us in the past. Lets all fall back in line and become sheeple without the ability to think for ourselves or form our own opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Bengals won the coss and have deferred to second half

In the words of Bill:

"We are on to Cincinnati"

Now that's more like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

I'm not sure where that came from, but more of the same please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

That's it put the pressure on the Bengals. Dalton will slip up. I feel a pick 6 coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Been a while since I had such a smile on my face with a drive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

so we're back on for a SB right?

Was Chandler Jones not named as a starter to emphasise the importance of keeping contain? He seemed to completely forget that part of his job on Monday.

That was a very harsh penalty on Revis

Yeow great d. Guys are playing fair meaner. Good field position. Run that balldown their tthroatz.

Finally Tim Wright gets involved

Wow

This is the fire that I was really hoping to see when we were down on Monday. Obviously some asses got kicked in practice this week.

• Advertisement

Yess Wright. Brady chant in Foxboro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Protect Brady, O line does their job and this will be a different team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Amazing what happens with a clean pocket.

With the receivers in tandem like this. It should reduce the Bengals ability to rush more then 4.

So our Oline finally turned up. We finally involved Tim Wright and LaFell showed some glimpses he could do well but then shows why he has failed to live up to his full potential with his **** route running.

Positive all round now if that Oline can keep it going. Our defense really rallies around our offense when they get it going. Key now also Revis looked like the Revis of old. Stick him in Man Coverage and he will take out the key to the opposing offense.

Im honestly still not going to say AFC Championship or Super Bowl just yet because at times we did stall. Long season ahead and some tough game to get out of the way. Important to go to Buffalo and grab that win and then b1tch slap the Jets at home the following Thursday.

We're on to Buffalo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Hi guys,
    I've deleted some posts to try and keep things on topic. I closed the thread earlier in the week to try and make sure that we avoided these kind of issues but if I see more of the same in the coming days I'll be handing out punishments to users.
    Can everyone keep their posts on the topic at hand, the Patriots, and not on settling scores with other users. We all need to move on from the last couple of weeks where the thread seems to have gotten out of hand and get back to football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Great all round performance.

Very positive to see 206 yards on the ground this week.
    Being able to run the ball like that makes life a bit easier on the O-Line when it comes to protection.

Good to see some 2 TE sets coming back in, it seems like a lot of defences are really unsure when they see them.
    Hopefully Wright will continue to develop in the offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Just woke up and immediately checked for the score; I continue to believe in Bill and Tom :)

Just checked the comments here and it looks like the OL did their job; and that's what this team needs most of all.

Got to go and boot up Game Pass now. Looking forward to it compared to last Tuesday morning! Go Pats!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Finished watching the game, two key words to the success on the night:
    1. Protection
    2. Aggression

Needless to say that protecting Tom was crucial, and you see how the offense can then play. Further credit to the OL for their efforts in the running game as well.
    Almost as pleasing as the OL play was the aggression shown out there. It was controlled anger and it was great to see.

All that said; we're on to Buffalo :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement