Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Looks like we're signing another TE.
    As @MikeReiss reports, Patriots are hosting free-agent TE Michael Hoomanawanui (Rams). Expectation is, if he passes physical, he will sign.

And he's from the Rams as well. I think Shiancoe is the only TE or WR we have who didn't play for the Rams or Patriots before this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Masked Man wrote: »
    Looks like we're signing another TE.

And he's from the Rams as well. I think Shiancoe is the only TE or WR we have who didn't play for the Rams or Patriots before this season.

Shiancoe was placed on IR and Winslow failed a medical. Probably why we are trying out extremely long name guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

One of the most disappointing developments earlier in the week was Demps getting put on IR for the cutdown. He'll miss the season now which is a real pity, because he showed some flashes of his blistering speed and potential in the last 2 preseason games.

One of the most disappointing developments earlier in the week was Demps getting put on IR for the cutdown. He'll miss the season now which is a real pity, because he showed some flashes of his blistering speed and potential in the last 2 preseason games.

I dont think he did enough though to waste a roster spot. By sticking him on IR means we keep him for next season.

CoachTO wrote: »
    I dont think he did enough though to waste a roster spot. By sticking him on IR means we keep him for next season.

He picked up a right ankle injury in the last game against the Giants. So he wasn't fit for the squad, but I think he was looking good for a spot on special teams. I seen enough of his potential in his first game aginst the Bucs, when he took off like a rocket on a run play and made a fantastic 29 yard gain.

So in terms of getting game experience, I see this now as a wasted season for him. Maybe in the long run it might work out better for him, giving the coaches time to tweak and work on his raw talent. I was just really looking forward to seeing him rip through teams on returns. :(

• Advertisement

He picked up a right ankle injury in the last game against the Giants. So he wasn't fit for the squad, but I think he was looking good for a spot on special teams. I seen enough of his potential in his first game aginst the Bucs, when he took off like a rocket on a run play and made a fantastic 29 yard gain.

Thing is with that injury though many of the Pats pundits don't believe it was worthy enough of sticking him on long term IR. The MRI was clear and they reckon it was a mild sprain. A lot of people thought he would go on the 6 week IR.
    So in terms of getting game experience, I see this now as a wasted season for him. Maybe in the long run it might work out better for him, giving the coaches time to tweak and work on his raw talent. I was just really looking forward to seeing him rip through teams on returns. :(

Yeah it is a pity it is good to know that we have him secured for next season though so all is not lost. Hopefully Ridley and Vereen can do us proud this season.

Thing is with that injury though many of the Pats pundits don't believe it was worthy enough of sticking him on long term IR. The MRI was clear and they reckon it was a mild sprain. A lot of people thought he would go on the 6 week IR.

I got the impression the injury wasn't too serious alright, maybe I was expecting too much for a roster inclusion. Perhaps they are taking the sensible approach with him really. But I'm just pretty inpatient, because the return game has left a lot to be desired at times.
    Hopefully Ridley and Vereen can do us proud this season.

We are blessed to have these talented young guys, the great thing is as they continue to improve they will naturally motivate and drive each other. They have a great attitude and both have worked really hard during the preseason.
    I don't know what kind of injury Vereen is carrying at the moment, but hopefully when it clears up he can play the full season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

its disappointing with Demps, no doubt, but I dont think he would have cleared waivers to get a practise roster spot. Its crap he wont get a team session until camp next year, but I suppose if he is happy to take it, and come back in April, then it cant be a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Whats the story with Carter? I haven't heard anything in relation to him lately. Any chance he could still be back once healthy?

SK1979 wrote: »
    Whats the story with Carter? I haven't heard anything in relation to him lately. Any chance he could still be back once healthy?

He worked out with the Raiders and Rams a couple of weeks ago but the reports were he lacked the explosiveness and still didn't look completely fit or ready. Someone will most likely take a punt on him if he proves fitness but I can't see the Pats doing it but i hope im wrong if he is fully fit.

• Advertisement

No Vereen Sunday

Means Woodhead, Bolden and Hilliard will all split the back up carries.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Goose_Hyypia

Can't wait to see this man on Sunday!

ChandlerJones_display_image.jpg?1335851159

I can't wait to see how the defence performs overall, Hightower, Mayo and Spikes have looked awesome playing together in preseason. Seeing how they stop Johnson and the Titans run game on Sunday will be very interesting. Cunningham has worked hard really this preseason and has tormented a few QB's during the preseason games. A big year for him and he certainly looks like he's ready for the challenge.

A big year also for Chung, he's a great leader with great guts, but he's lacking on the size side. If he's out again this season with more injury problems he could be in trouble. Tavon Wilson is also breathing down his neck. He has looked in impressive in the secondary, making a quite but steady start. But he just gets stronger with every game. Ebner has been a revelation. He's a tremendous tackler and seems to have a natural instinct for finding the ball on the pitch and making the plays. His displays in preseason have certainly made him look like more than just a special team’s player.

Dennard was late into preseason due to the hamstring, but has looked good when he came back. A strong player, who seems to really like getting hard and physical in the secondary, Unfortunately, today he was reported out again with a hamstring. I'm not sure yet if it's a flare up of the same injury that limited him in camp and preseason :(.

The following three players have a big season ahead. McCourty can't be giving up the yards he gave up last season. The talent and ability is beyond question, but last season it often seemed like he wasn't on the pitch, even though he might have been right in the middle of a play. I really hope Dowling can stay fit because he has the tools and the skill set to make a difference. If Arrington can equal or surpass his total interceptions for last season, then I'll be pretty happy.

I was delighted with all the rookies we drafted in April and they have certainly looked very capable. Which is good because it shakes up the established players, creates some strong healthy competition and that can only be good for the team.

On the offensive side I really hope Brandon Lloyd can be the deep threat, line stretching weapon we are all hoping for. We've really been lacking a player of his ability for a good few years now. More of the same from Gronk please and hopefully when/if we get to the SB, then he better be 100% fit.

From day 1 in camp, Hernandez has stood out as the most impressive offensive player on the pitch. So I'm really looking forward to seeing Hernandez continue to play as the most versatile offensive weapon we have.

Our run game is something we could really surprise teams with this year. Ridley and Vereen have the tools and the talent to make a difference and both have had an impressive preseason.

Delighted with how the Pats conducted the contract business with Gronk and Hernandez. Quick and decisive action was taken to sort out these two great young players for the long term. Nice to see everyone very happy and good to see the Pats have clearly learned from a couple of bad experiences in the past.

But most of all, I'm just so happy to have Josh McDaniel’s back as Offensive Coordinator. He has come home, he belongs here. We all remember the destruction caused to other teams, the last time Brady and McDaniel’s worked together. So more of the same please. :D

Patriots Play Predictor.

This thing is actually kinda cool. Unsurprisingly we passed a lot on 3rd down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Fantastic performance today. So many positives - Brady, the TE Party, Ridley, the D-line, the Jones-Hightower play, Wilson's INT. The only downside was Gronkowski being so rusty in the below video. A real cause for concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Belichick postgame presser.
    Opening Statement:
    “I thought it was a good win today by our players, those guys did a really good job. We did a good job running the ball offensively, did a decent job stopping the run on defense, made some big plays, turned the ball over, had good field position. So it was a good team win. All three units contributed, we had a lot of guys step up and I think if we can play that way we’ll be alright. It was good to see everybody contributing and all the units do a good job for us. It’s always nice to get off to a good start but we’ve got a long way to go.”
    On the running game and Stevan Ridley:
    “Yeah, well of course, it always starts up front. Offensive line did a good job, we had some good holes, the backs ran hard, Stevan ran hard, broke some tackles, our tight ends, our offensive line, our receivers blocked, so it was good complimentary game. We had good balance offensively.”
    On the play of rookies Chandler Jones and Dont’a Hightower:
    “We’ll see how it looks on the film. I mean I’m sure they had some good plays, I’m sure they had some other plays that weren’t so great. So we’ll see how it goes, they’ve got a long way to go. But they’ve done a good job for us and if they keep working hard I think they have a chance to be good players for this team.”
    On the play of their defense:
    “Well, we didn’t give up a lot of points, we had a couple red area stops, so that was important. We gave up that drive at the start of the third quarter, which wasn’t good, but otherwise we were able to keep them out of the endzone so that was a positive. It’s hard to win in this league kicking field goals so if we can play good red zone defense and not give up big plays then we shouldn’t be giving up a lot of points.”
    On the turnovers, the Kyle Arrington tip and interception:
    “Yeah, those were big. We had a couple of other ones that we could have had, we didn’t hang onto the ball or whatever. But yeah, that was a good play. Kyle went up and played the ball, Tavon [Wilson] was there to get it, and then of course we had the strip sack and the fumble recovery there so that was a huge play in the game. Obviously those seven point swings, defensive scores, they’re always enormous plays in the National Football League. It’s so tight, so competitive, when you get bonus points like that, that usually tips the scale. So that was good team defense.”
    On the missed opportunity, the missed big play to Brandon Lloyd:
    “Well there were a lot of things that we can do better. Yeah, there’s a lot of things we can do better. We got started, but right now it’s early in the season, we’ve got a long way to go. We need to just improve every week and so that’s what we’ll concentrate on this week. But I think there’s a lot of things we can that we can do a better job of. better coaching, better playing, better overall execution. So we’ll work on that this week.”
    http://www.patsfans.com/ian/blog/2012/09/09/bill-belichicks-postgame-press-conference-transcript-7/

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BMF Plint

Brady was on fire today.

A great start to the season and to do it on a very difficult away trip is even more pleasing. Ridley steps up, was strong and explosive in the run game and showed good ball security. I think most of us have been anxious to see how our defence steps up and christ did they do it today. A great defensive performance all around with the young guys Jones, Hightower and Wilson making a great start. My biggest worry was controlling Chris Johnson during the run. He eventually managed just 4 yards on 11 carries, our run defence virtually destroyed him.

Sweet watching Gronk and Hernandez doing what they do best. Is Brady's nose broken? We still don't know actually, but did he give a shít? Like feck he did, because he probably played even better after the big hit. Looking back to the preseason games, it was a big improvement from the O-line. Still some areas to tweak, but still a good start against a notorious pass rush defense.

Brandon Lloyd not making the catch for a certain TD, was only a slight negative. Connolly leaving the game with a head injury was a worry, we don't want a repeat of his 2010 concussion, especially with all the focus now on concussion injuries. But just picking up reports that Connolly has passed his concussions tests and so he won't miss extended time. Perfect end to a perfect day really.

Dan Koppen has signed a one year deal with the Broncos.

• Advertisement

Good to see Shane Vereen out practicing today. No doubt he's chomping at the bit, after seeing Ridley's impressive game against the Titan's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

I just noticed there that Welker tied Troy Brown last weekend for the most receptions in Patriots history. Since Brown is going into the Patriots Hall of Fame this week, could that possibly have had something to do with Welker's limited involvement in last week's game? Or is that just wishful thinking?

I know Belichick is more sentimental than many give him credit for, and Troy Brown was one of his favourite players, but I think I may just be hoping Welker's back to his usual self this week because I picked him up in fantasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

I am going to the game V Arizona on Sunday :)

Have tickets already in hand. I haven't been to the Gillette Stadium before so any tips let me know!
    Going with herself so there will be no major boozing involved. Getting the Patriot Train out from Boston on the morning of the game. Someone did say to me it can take a while to get into the ground queuing..probably just usual matchday queues like at other games though i'd imagine? Other than that hopefully little else to do but enjoy?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Have tickets already in hand. I haven't been to the Gillette Stadium before so any tips let me know!
    Going with herself so there will be no major boozing involved. Getting the Patriot Train out from Boston on the morning of the game. Someone did say to me it can take a while to get into the ground queuing..probably just usual matchday queues like at other games though i'd imagine? Other than that hopefully little else to do but enjoy?!

Once you get off the train, you should head straight to the stadium and go through security to get your seats, there usually is no time to mess around if you want to see kickoff.

Tell your GF she cant bring a big handbag, i think they have a limit on the size of handbags.

Other than that enjoy, weather should be perfect.

Taking the train gets in just after midday and with a 1pm kick off Sunday you would need to get to Gillette right away The queues are bad within the last hour before KO especially within the last 30mins before KO as you have every tailgater descend on the stadium as well as those from the train and it can get a tad crazy.

Edit: Whats Hazy says :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Cheers guys, we'll head straight in so!

Not too often you get twin brothers playing against each other in the NFL. Nice little piece here with the McCourty brothers miked up last Sunday.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/0ap1000000061661/Sound-FX-A-twin-sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lost in the disappointment of the loss on Sunday was Wes Welker breaking Troy Brown's record for most receptions by a Patriot.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Lost in the disappointment of the loss on Sunday was Wes Welker breaking Troy Brown's record for most receptions by a Patriot.

I think we all missed that one, pity he picked such a bad game to do it though. A great achievement for Wes, who's been a great Patriot from day one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Kellen Winslow is in for a visit today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement