Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Every one of them with passing attacks that are going to give me nightmares!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

me89 wrote: »
    Nice easy 6 Games coming up :eek:

Bears
    Broncos
    @Colts
    Lions
    @Packers
    @Chargers

That makes last night's win even more important. 4-2 out of that stretch would be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The Jets run 43 times for 218 Yards. Yes, 218 Yards. That's not bad run defense, it's terrible run defense. Wasn't particularly impressed by the pass defense either. Mayo is a huge blow, the mistake of letting Kelly go still hangs over the team. And losing Silver Silgia to IR takes a big plug out of our run defense. Anyone notice Browner when the Jets were on their first defensive series? The guy was totally gassed, hands on his hips and couldn't make it back to the defensive huddle for one snap. Have to wonder is the guy even in shape when he's gassed on the first series.

Play of the game for me was the 15 yard penalty Devey gave up. When the Jets had the late hit on Brady that pushed him into the sidelines. Devey jumped in and wasn't taking that shít on his QB. Yes it ended our drive, but when you look back to the start of the season and Brady was having to scrape himself off the ground. I thought it was great to see an O lineman really protecting his QB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Why didn't we run the ball on first down!?!?

We kept trying medium to deep passes and failing miserably, leaving us with 2nd and long and 3rd and long. While the Jets would run on 1st and 2nd down and get 3rd and short each time and kept their driver alive.

I know the Jets DL is intimidating but 2nd and 8 is way better than 2nd and 10. The worst thing was, we're weren't even that bad running the ball:

CAR--YDS--AVG--TD----LG
    S. Vereen---11----43----3.9---0
    J. Gray
    12----4.0---0

We do we continue to abandon the run and force ourselves into higher pressure 3rd down passing situations? It may work against a shaky Jets secondary but not everybody. 15 rush attempts Vs 37 pass attempts, the balance is awful.

Also hats off to the OLine, great job protecting Brady against the defense with the 2nd highest sack total in the NFL.

• Advertisement

Hazys wrote: »
    Why didn't we run the ball on first down!?!?

We kept trying medium to deep passes and failing miserably, leaving us with 2nd and long and 3rd and long. While the Jets would run on 1st and 2nd down and get 3rd and short each time and kept their driver alive.

I know the Jets DL is intimidating but 2nd and 8 is way better than 2nd and 10. The worst thing was, we're weren't even that bad running the ball:

CAR--YDS--AVG--TD----LG
    S. Vereen 11 43 3.9 0 17
    J. Gray 3 12 4.0 0 5

We do we continue to abandon the run and force ourselves into higher pressure 3rd down passing situations? It may work against a shaky Jets secondary but not everybody.

I agree, our YPC was pretty good against a tough Jets run defense. Very disappointed to see that Jonas Gray only played 12 snaps. On the passing side, I was equally disappointed to see that Tyms only played 1 snap. Tim Wright who has caught nearly every ball thrown at him this season, wasn't even targeted last night. I'd like to see all these players utilised a bit more in the coming games.

Rex Ryan was punching walls last night...hilarious
    Rex Ryan's face was full of fury and frustration.

He took a moment to compose himself in a near-empty hallway before he faced the cameras and the questions. But his emotions were just too real and too raw.

Without warning, he cursed under his breath and punched the wall, releasing all of his pent-up anger in one quick jab.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-lose-to-patriots-as-nick-folk-s-58-yarder-blocked-as-time-expires-1.9514274#2

Rex Ryan was punching walls last night...hilarious

Rexy probably made this guy look normal....

6pcWEw.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Play of the game for me was the 15 yard penalty Devey gave up. When the Jets had the late hit on Brady that pushed him into the sidelines. Devey jumped in and wasn't taking that shít on his QB. Yes it ended our drive, but when you look back to the start of the season and Brady was having to scrape himself off the ground. I thought it was great to see an O lineman really protecting his QB.

I thought that was great to see. No Coach is going to give a lineman any grief for protecting his franchise QB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Tim Wright who has caught nearly every ball thrown at him this season, wasn't even targeted last night.
    I think Wright was benched once he gave away the penalty; at least I didn't notice him back in the game.

• Advertisement

I think Wright was benched once he gave away the penalty; at least I didn't notice him back in the game.

Penalty? I must have missed that. Probably when I was on one of my beer trips to the fridge.

Penalty? I must have missed that. Probably when I was on one of my beer trips to the fridge.

He flinched on the LOS when a Jets D lineman moved and gave away a false start. Mental error but nothing to do with learning the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

TJ Max over here in New England doing the proper Nike On Field Jerseys for $40 for the home Brady and $50 for the Nike Red Throwback. Compared to the $100 they seem larger than they should but still worth the cash. TJ Max known for selling originals with imperfections and in this case wrong size labels on them or made to run larger than they should for the new Nike range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Interesting breakdown in this article debunking some of the guff being thrown Brady's way of late.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/10/17/6987067/mythbusting-with-mr-marowni-tom-brady-declining-edition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,922 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The Jets run 43 times for 218 Yards. Yes, 218 Yards. That's not bad run defense, it's terrible run defense. Wasn't particularly impressed by the pass defense either. Mayo is a huge blow, the mistake of letting Kelly go still hangs over the team. And losing Silver Silgia to IR takes a big plug out of our run defense. Anyone notice Browner when the Jets were on their first defensive series? The guy was totally gassed, hands on his hips and couldn't make it back to the defensive huddle for one snap. Have to wonder is the guy even in shape when he's gassed on the first series.

Yeah I liked what Devey did there but it shouldn't have been a penalty, it was nothing really and the Jets got away with one on that play on Brady. I hear Rex Ryan praising the officials, claiming they are the best in the league, but I thought they were poor last night and not just from a Patriot point of view either.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah I liked what Devey did there but it shouldn't have been a penalty, it was nothing really and the Jets got away with one on that play on Brady. I hear Rex Ryan praising the officials, claiming they are the best in the league, but I thought they were poor last night and not just from a Patriot point of view either.

You're right it shouldn't have been a penalty it was total BS. Just like the phantom penalty against Revis. The officiating was poor and I think it's been poor a lot this season right across the league.

Some of the holding calls against the defense are ridiculous at this stage, so much as brush a hand against the WR and flags are flying. As a newer follower of football, I'm left flabbergasted at some of the pernickety rules they have. When I compare it rugby, in terms of letting the game flow as a contest, football can seem maddeningly officious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Some of the holding calls against the defense are ridiculous at this stage, so much as brush a hand against the WR and flags are flying.
    I literally wait a sec or two after each successful Pats play before I celebrate, just in case a flag comes in.

Its hard not to feel like we are getting screwed by the refs. We have the highest amount of penalty yards against us while the teams we play have the 3rd least penalties called against them...thats is some disparity.

Historically we have been a phenomenally discipline team, usually in the top 3 least penalized teams each season, so this it is hard to fantom whats going on here. Yes, we haven't been as discipline as previous seasons but the sheer amount of penalties against us and the disparity with the opposition teams we play, has me as biased as i am, feeling like we are getting screwed.

I think the call that sums up us getting screwed, is the unsportsmanlike conduct call on Devey. Brady throws the ball and has enough time to turn completely around before the Jets LB pushes him aggressively in the back. Blatant and easy unsportsmanlike conduct call, which would have put the Pats on the Jets 3yrd line with a first down but inexplicably there is no call. Devey who sees his QB just get a cheap shot and sees the refs did nothing to protect his QB, stepped up and pushed the Jet LB to the ground to show that those type of cheap shots won't be tolerated. Of course, he gets a 15 yard penalty and we have to settle for 3 points, missing out on a possible extra 4 points.

If Devey hadn't stepped up to do the refs job, you can be sure as hell the Jets players would keep taking those cheap shots till they get caught.

Same thing happened in the Bengals, for the first half the Bengals players kept hitting after the whistle or refusing to release Pats players after the tackle. On one play Gronk gets a first down, the Bengals player doesnt let him up, when he gets up Gronk shouts at another player, that player runs up and pushes Gronk...i'll let you guess which team was penalized.

Chicago are desperate now...i hate playing desperate teams.

The Jets were desperate and they ran the game closer than they would have if we played them earlier in the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,922 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Chicago are desperate because they are rubbish. An easy win as long as the defense is doing its job. We have to stop the run, if we do that then Cutler will hand us an easy win.

Any thoughts on how we stack up facing the Broncos? Watching the game tonight and their secondary was playing very well, with Miller and Ware causing all kinds of trouble on the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

In completely unrelated news,I'm going to the last game of the season against the Bills in late December. It will be COLD!

tumblr_m56p3eGLd11rvzyvqo1_400.gif

Hopefully there will be something to celebrate but by sheer fact that i'm going, i've probably jinxed the remainder of the season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

BKWDR wrote: »
    In completely unrelated news,I'm going to the last game of the season against the Bills in late December. It will be COLD!

tumblr_m56p3eGLd11rvzyvqo1_400.gif

Hopefully there will be something to celebrate but by sheer fact that i'm going, i've probably jinxed the remainder of the season!

I should be at that game and should be tailgating. I will confirm over the next couple of weeks if Im going but if we do go and setup the tailgate you are more than welcome to join us if you have no other pre game plans that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

TO. wrote: »
    I should be at that game and should be tailgating. I will confirm over the next couple of weeks if Im going but if we do go and setup the tailgate you are more than welcome to join us if you have no other pre game plans that is.

Think i have tailgating plans in the making as per last year, appreciate that though, TO!

Everything shapes up right it could be a real nail biter finish to the season!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Looks like you guys are getting akeem ayers, not sure why but whiz doesn't seem to rate him, has a few injury issues but is a solid linebacker

Looks like you guys are getting akeem ayers, not sure why but whiz doesn't seem to rate him, has a few injury issues but is a solid linebacker

Badly needed pickup in an area of need in pass rush. There was talk of us acquiring him in the off-season but serviceable starter or decent backup at best.

I don't expect we gave up much as its only a half season rental as his contract is up at the end of the season.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I would say 6th round pick but nothing official as yet, he's never playing for us again so good to get something, seems like a well grounded lad so hopefully he can make a go of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Badly needed pickup in an area of need. There was talk of us acquiring him in the off-season.

I don't expect we gave up much as its only a half season rental as his contract is up at the end of the season.

A 6th for Ayers and the titans 7th round pick.

• Advertisement

Mike Loyko ‏@NEPD_Loyko42

#Patriots get Ayers and a 7th Round Pick (which they didn't have) give up a 6th Rounder.

As minimal cost as you can get, especially if you consider the Pats will be picking near the end of the 6th and the Titans at the top of the 7th.

Also not to mention, if he leaves as a free agent in the offseason, we could get another 7th as a comp pick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement