Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah given we'll have a top 7 a pick at this rate and you guys will be 20 or higher on the 6th is a good deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

No lose deal, hopefully he can make an impact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,923 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Glad to see that addition, Ayers can tackle and maybe he can play on the inside some. We badly need a tackler regardless of what he is playing at. Ayers is still only 25 so this could be one of those trades that works out well for us. Not losing much on the deal anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ayers is still only 25

Genuinely surprised to read that. I always think of him as in his very late 20s. Feels like he's been around a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

And our ever increasing trend for picking up players with/coming off knee injuries continues. This guy had surgery on his Patella tendons in both knees and I find that very worrying. If I was given the option of picking a serious knee injury, I would choose an ACL over Patella tendon problems any day. Patella tendons problems are much messier and can linger & drag on. Hopefully the surgery has permanently resolved his knee problems. But is it too much to ask for us to pick up a guy with no knee problems?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Only thing with Ayers he is not a great run stuffer and not great off the edge as a rusher but he does add experience. Seem like we are also adding Alan Branch DE who was cut by the Bills in august. Decent enough career but not a sack monster. A guy with some off the field issues.

Shalize Young is reporting that Chandler Jones is out for up to a month with a hip injury. That would be Chicago, Denver and possibly Indy games.

Granted, she also reported the Dobson/Josh story, so take it with a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Shalize Young is reporting that Chandler Jones is out for up to a month with a hip injury. That would be Chicago, Denver and possibly Indy games.

Granted, she also reported the Dobson/Josh story, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Just read that disaster.

Wow wtf Chandler Jones has just been released now

Here's where he got injured but I don't remember him coming out of the game tho

http://gfycat.com/KindSleepyBalloonfish

KindSleepyBalloonfish.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Losing Jones is going to make it tougher for the secondary, but wont have much impact on the run game which is where we're bleeding hard right now.

Ayers could be a decent player if he's knees dont implode.

What is it with BB and dodgy knees?
    I'm starting to think he has a Rex Ryan-like fetish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Losing Silgia early in the season left a big gap against the run. Losing Mayo we lost our defensive QB and now Jones is out :(. I saw a comment by Mike Reiss on twitter suggesting maybe it's time we reviewed our strength & conditioning coaching, since we seem to get banged up a lot more than most teams.

Lost all respect for her a couple of years ago when she tried to get sensationalist a couple of times.
    Obviously this story is a true one but after starting out as an excellent reporter she really has burned a lot of bridges it seems both with the fans and with her good contacts.

An ex-forum poster guy from Patsfans is now my favourite Patriots reporter. His name is Christopher Price and he is with WEEI for a while now. I'm sure you have all heard of him.

Hazys wrote: »
    Chicago are desperate now...i hate playing desperate teams.

The Jets were desperate and they ran the game closer than they would have if we played them earlier in the season.

I feel the same, I expect the win but I'm not 100% on it. They have enough offensive talent to hurt us and should have no problem running the ball down our throats. Any team coming off an embarrassment is dangerous imo. If smoking Joe plays well this could be a high scoring game. But if he starts turning the ball over, then we could win with some breathing room.

Vandango wrote: »
    Losing Silgia early in the season left a big gap against the run. Losing Mayo we lost our defensive QB and now Jones is out :(. I saw a comment by Mike Reiss on twitter suggesting maybe it's time we reviewed our strength & conditioning coaching, since we seem to get banged up a lot more than most teams.
    I don't think its got anything to do with strength and conditioning. There are lots of injuries in the NFL every week of every season. We just seem to be unlucky over the last few years in that we are losing key players to long term injuries. I don't think we are losing more players to injury than other teams just that its our better players.

Apparently Revis was sent home from training today after he turned up late. Have read before that Bill does this so wouldn't be surprised if it's true.

Revis was asked about his absence from Tuesday's practice in the locker room on Wednesday.

"Between me and Coach," Revis said. "Talk to him about it."

Belichick was not asked about Revis' absence during his Wednesday morning news conference.

The report cites sources saying that Revis accepted being sent home and understands that Belichick's rules apply to everyone. In the past, Belichick has sent players home, including former linebacker Adalius Thomas and star wide receiver Randy Moss.

I think its great that BB treats the top players on the roster the same as the 53rd guy on the roster.

What i think is better is that Revis apparently accepted responsibility for his actions and didn't let his ego get in the way. The disicpline is touch and go with some players, Moss and Revis (hopefully) accepted it, unlike Thomas and Spikes and good riddance to both of them.

But tbh, if i played for the Patriots, i'd be sent home everyday.

Also Spikes' excuse is laughable if you leave in New England

BdDeVbIIUAIzaj9.jpg

He couldn't shovel an extra 4 feet to get to the road lol

I don't think its got anything to do with strength and conditioning. There are lots of injuries in the NFL every week of every season. We just seem to be unlucky over the last few years in that we are losing key players to long term injuries. I don't think we are losing more players to injury than other teams just that its our better players.

I agree with ya. I just saw a comment on twitter yesterday and thought I'd share it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Tbh i don't think you guys are. Its just that you follow the Pats closer so it seems that way. The same way as an Eagles fan it seems exceptionally unlucky that we lost most of our O-line including 2 pro bowlers who might be the best at what they do in the league. But the lions have lost Megatron and the Bengals AJ Green. Most teams have top quality players on the injured pile.

• Advertisement

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    The same way as an Eagles fan it seems exceptionally unlucky that we lost most of our O-line including 2 pro bowlers who might be the best at what they do in the league.

No sympathy here mate, we haven't had a solid dependable O line since 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

No sympathy here mate, we haven't had a solid dependable O line since 2012.

No sympathy? he's referencing injuries not quality of o line. He's making a comparison between the eagles losing valuable players in there case their online. To us losing valuable players from our front 7. Read his post again and you'll understand it.

empacher wrote: »
    No sympathy? he's referencing injuries not quality of o line. He's making a comparison between the eagles losing valuable players in there case their online. To us losing valuable players from our front 7. Read his post again and you'll understand it.

Thanks for the dose of patronisation there. Now go back yourself and read my post and hopefully you'll see it was a tongue in cheek reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Thanks for the dose of patronisation there. Now go back yourself and read my post and hopefully you'll see it was a tongue in cheek reply.

It's pretty hard to get tone of voice from text. I'd use a :p to convey that. Otherwise people are likely to take it as written.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Tbh i don't think you guys are. Its just that you follow the Pats closer so it seems that way. The same way as an Eagles fan it seems exceptionally unlucky that we lost most of our O-line including 2 pro bowlers who might be the best at what they do in the league. But the lions have lost Megatron and the Bengals AJ Green. Most teams have top quality players on the injured pile.
    When did AJ Green go on IR? When did Megatron go on IR?

I'm talking about losing players for a good part of the season and the postseason.

Last season we lost Vince Wilfork after four games, Tommy Kelly after five games and Jerod Mayo after six games to IR for the season. Thats the two starters in the middle of our DL and the guy right behind them at MLB. We then lost Aqib Talib right at the start of the AFC Championshop game. That was four the five best players on our defense last season. We also lost Rob Gronkowski, probably our second most important offensive player, after seven games and our right tackle Sebastien Vollmer after 8 games.

This season already we have lost Jerod Mayo and Stevan Ridley. Mayo is a huge loss and Ridley was playing the best football of his career to date this season so they are two big losses. Chandler Jones is going to miss a couple of weeks. Its like the same thing all over again is happening this season if it continues.

Last season we lost Vince Wilfork after four games, Tommy Kelly after five games and Jerod Mayo after six games to IR for the season. Thats the two starters in the middle of our DL and the guy right behind them at MLB. We then lost Aqib Talib right at the start of the AFC Championshop game. That was four the five best players on our defense last season. We also lost Rob Gronkowski, probably our second most important offensive player

And Vereen broke his wrist on the first snap of the season against the Bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

When did AJ Green go on IR? When did Megatron go on IR?

I'm talking about losing players for a good part of the season and the postseason.

Last season we lost Vince Wilfork after four games, Tommy Kelly after five games and Jerod Mayo after six games to IR for the season. Thats the two starters in the middle of our DL and the guy right behind them at MLB. We then lost Aqib Talib right at the start of the AFC Championshop game. That was four the five best players on our defense last season. We also lost Rob Gronkowski, probably our second most important offensive player, after seven games and our right tackle Sebastien Vollmer after 8 games.

This season already we have lost Jerod Mayo and Stevan Ridley. Mayo is a huge loss and Ridley was playing the best football of his career to date this season so they are two big losses. Chandler Jones is going to miss a couple of weeks. Its like the same thing all over again is happening this season if it continues.

Where did i mention IR? It doesn't take a player going on IR to ruin a season. Megatron missing 4 games for Detroit is HUGE.

Tbh you really could do the above for almost every team. Injuries are a part of the NFL (and suspensions now too). Look at the Cardinals with 3 of their best defensive players on IR. The chargers are missing about 10 players who woudl dress tonight. The Ravens, the Colts... all these teams have injuries to key players. Willis, Dorcey and Bowman all out for the 49ers... i could continue...

My point is just that it always seems worse from your side of the fence. Its the same for fans of every team. Including me when it comes to the Eagles btw (lets not forget our best player broke his leg a few weeks before you guys beat us in the superbowl - he played anyway ofc and almost hobbled his way to carrying us to victory in it)

I'm well aware that injuries are a part of the season and all that.

If you asked Patriot fans, before the season began, who the five most important players were on the 2013 roster I can guarantee you the majority would give you this,

Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski, Vince Wilfork, Jerod Mayo, Aqib Talib

We lost three of them for most of the season and one in the AFCCG.

Pick your teams four most important players and then strip the team of them. And then take out your best player after that when it matters most.

Fact is we still made it to the AFCCG despite all that but to win it all you need to have some of those guys.

This never gets old :D
    Reporter: “Bill, what is your version of what happened with Darrelle Revis on Tuesday?”

Belichick: “Anything between me and a player is between myself and the players.”

Reporter: “You sent him home, is that correct?”

Belichick: “I didn’t say that.”

Reporter: “But he was here and ...”

Belichick: “I’m ready to talk about the Bears. Anything else is between myself and the players.”

Reporter: “Will his playing time on Sunday be impacted in any way based on that?”

Belichick: “The Bears are really a good team. I think they are going to be a tough matchup for us. We are going to do the best we can to match up against them.”

• Advertisement

empacher wrote: »
    It's pretty hard to get tone of voice from text. I'd use a :p to convey that. Otherwise people are likely to take it as written.

Fair enough, but I'm not a big fan of emoticons and rarely use them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement