Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Vandango wrote: »
    Fair enough, but I'm not a big fan of emoticons and rarely use them.

I rarely use them either, but I was being a patronising prick. Only saw to what extent when I re read it. Apologies for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Could be a really tough game against the Bears, probably depends on which Cutler turns up.

Hoping that we see Gronk at his best in this game. Chicago have not handled the TE match-ups very well.
    Clay had 4 recs for 58 yrds and a TD
    Toilolo had 3 recs for 34 yds
    Olsen had 6 recs for 72 yds
    Amaro had 3 recs for 54 yds
    Carrier had 3 recs for 41 yds, and Davis had 3 recs for 39 yds

Gronk is going to be targeted plenty of times by Tom, so he may get close to 100yds. That should help Edelman and LaFell as well.

Chicago have some talented players, and could come in and win this game; but Tom's record at home as a starter is 86:13 (which is incredible) so I do expect the Pats to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'm hoping to see Tim Wright get more snaps and targeted some more. We are always at our best with strong 2 TE sets and it would be nice to get some more refinement in with the tough schedule coming. Also want to see what Jonas Grey can do. He made some nice blitz pick up plays against the Jets, but I'd like to see him getting some more runs.

I'm hoping to see Tim Wright get more snaps and targeted some more. We are always at our best with strong 2 TE sets and it would be nice to get some more refinement in with the tough schedule coming.
    Agreed. I actually think that Gronk is targeted a bit too much and would like to see Wright get some of the workload. Let this be the year that Gronk goes through the post-season without an injury affecting him; and not over targeting him would be a good start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Take it with another pinch of salt because Howe has been wrong about a few things lately, but Chandler Jones looks to be out for 6 weeks and possibly the year :(

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/the_blitz/2014/10/source_chandler_jones_regular_season_in_jeopardy_out_a_minimum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Sigh

These hip injures often start out as a 6-8 week issue, but before you know it, the player is going under the knife. :(

Another season of injuries to key players, we had three seasons worth last year. You'd think we'd catch a break for once.

Hoping that we see Gronk at his best in this game. Chicago have not handled the TE match-ups very well.

Gronk is going to be targeted plenty of times by Tom, so he may get close to 100yds. That should help Edelman and LaFell as well.

Gronk with 101yds from 7 catches, with 3:45mins left in 2nd quarter.
    I didn't even expect that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Gronk with 101yds from 7 catches, with 3:45mins left in 2nd quarter.
    I didn't even expect that.
    Just go back and edit in 5TDs as well;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Jonas gray going well , pleased with LaFell's work today.

• Advertisement

5live wrote: »
    Just go back and edit in 5TDs as well;)

He's as elite as it gets.
    I've said it before, Pats would have two more SB's if Gronk was fit in 2011 and 2012. That's how much of a difference I believe he makes.

If this continues as a blowout by the 4th quarter, then I want Gronk and Tom watching on from the sidelines. We've got some really tough games on the way; lets help ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Will we see Garropolo (sp.) soon?

Jonas gray going well , pleased with LaFell's work today.

Just caught a couple of Grey's runs, he looks really good.

Just caught a couple of Grey's runs, he looks really good.
    Full credit to the OL today.
    It's been a impressive turnabout in form.
    Will get a full examination over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware will be a test like no other.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I think a lot of the turnaround is on Brady to be honest. I was highly critical of him early on, and to be honest, I am still of the opinion that the O line issues were an excuse. I dont think the O line has improved that much to see him have as many TDs as incompletions. His play from the first 3 weeks to the last 3 weeks are incomparable. He is playing so much better now in all aspects of his play, playing to how we pretty much expect him to, as we are used to it. His movement in the pocket is far better, he is extending plays heaps more. his throwing is much better too, there is no shakiness to it, there is no missing open targets. Credit must go to an improved understanding with LaFell in particular, but also the return to form of the Gronk beast. tim Wright too must get some credit in his contributions. 6 completions today when I last checked it and the TD.

To be honest, I switched off at half time, as there was little point in watching a game just fizzle out. What I saw in the first half was enough. I'll put my hands up and say I was hugely critical of the team early on, but will say that they have completely turned it around, and if they can continue this line of improvement and form, then thats all you can ask for heading into the business end of the season.

Just in terms of the other newer players, Browner had some decent plays, and then some terrible penalties. It was said that the new enforcement of rules wouldnt suit him, and it seems to be the case. The rest of the defence though did what they had to do when the game mattered. I'm not bothered about the second half scoring (especially as I didnt see what players were in for the reps) but they defended well and got turnovers in the first half which is all you want.

https://twitter.com/Eric_Edholm/status/526465883808350208

Oh Tom. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear he and Belichick manufactured the slump as their biggest "fúck you" to the media yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,923 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Watching that game was just so enjoyable today. It was a fantastic performance on both sides of the ball.

I'm really loving what Brandon LaFell is bringing to the team. It was clear from early on that Brady liked him and its clear they have worked hard together to get better. To have Gronk and LaFell and then Edelman and Tim Wright and Vereen out of the backfield is just a massive number of great targets. It must be a nightmare pre-planning to shut that offense down for any opposing defensive co-ordinator.

I was very please by Jonas Gray too, he did very well but will need to get better at goal-line work.

Our new man Akeem Ayers acquitted himself quite well too.

It was a real team breakout performance like they have been held back from having their way until this game. Really looking forward to next weekend now, should be a great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

When any O line plays well, people in general don't tend to give them credit or even talk about them. And any O line wouldn't want that any other way. Our O line has really stepped up and improved since the Chiefs loss. A house won't stand without solid foundations and we seem to have got that good O line foundation back again. So it's no coincidence that Brady has been immense since the O line stepped up. Long may it continue. Because no QB can perform without them.

Watching Brady and Gronk play and connect so well together always leave me with a tinge of sadness, we would almost certainly have two more superbowls if it were not for his injuries, and I think its possible they would set records regarding most Td's too

• Advertisement

Vandango wrote: »
    When any O line plays well, people in general don't tend to give them credit or even talk about them. And any O line wouldn't want that any other way. Our O line has really stepped up and improved since the Chiefs loss. A house won't stand without solid foundations and we seem to have got that good O line foundation back again. So it's no coincidence that Brady has been immense since the O line stepped up. Long may it continue. Because no QB can perform without them.

So true. No QB will function effectively with poor O line play and we had that for the first 4 games of the season. Up to the Chiefs game when the O line was playing poorly, Brady was the most sacked, hit & pressured QB in the league. He took some savage hits, you almost expected it on every drop back and the Offense suffered because of it.

Maybe it took the O line time to adjust to losing the legend that is Scar. Maybe it took time to get over the emotional shock of losing their leader Mankins. Maybe it took time for the new O line coach DeGuglielmo to bed in. Maybe the Chiefs game shamed them and was a wake up call. Whatever the reason, they've done a good job the last 4 games and Brady has been perfect.

The first four games - Brady was sacked 9 times. Hit, Pressured or knockdown 51 times.

The last four game - Brady was sacked 4 times. Hit, Pressured or Knockdown 23 times.

Brady wasn't sacked, hit or pressured yesterday. It was the best O line performance of the season and Brady was perfect as he dissected the Bears like a surgeon. So credit to the O line for that huge improvement in Brady's protection. Now they just need to keep it up, especially with some big games coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

me89 wrote: »

For those of us living here no thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

TO. wrote: »
    For those of us living here no thanks!

Surely you could take a bit of snow if it improved our chances against the Broncos? Brady is lethal in the snow; Peyton, not so much.

CJC86 wrote: »
    Surely you could take a bit of snow if it improved our chances against the Broncos? Brady is lethal in the snow; Peyton, not so much.

Nope as Im driving up north for the Weekend into the Mountains of New Hampshire snow+mountains=oh hell no :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Patriots have reportedly traded for Buccaneers LB Jonathan Casillas

paulie21 wrote: »
    Patriots have reportedly traded for Buccaneers LB Jonathan Casillas

We do like our Buc's players, traded what? On phone, irritating to go googling with ****e (work) broadband, he provides a bit of roster depth, not much else though :) Is he fit these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

kryogen wrote: »
    We do like our Buc's players, traded what?

New England traded its 5th-round pick to Tampa Bay for LB Jonathan Casillas and Bucs' 6th-round pick.

• Advertisement

Another guy riddled with injuries. We sure do like our Injured players

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement