Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Watched the game this morning.
    Is this the same OL that we saw at the start of the season?
    Full credit to Gray for some really hard running, breaking tackles, and lowering the head for extra yards.
    But the OL opened a number of clear lanes and did a great job for the night.
    It probably also helps that Gronk is the best blocking TE; actually he's just the best TE in the NFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

Great performance by Gray and the OL last night. Very nice that 12 can have an off-day and we still win comfortably.

Glad to see that Mallett did well on his first start with Houston. I loved the hat tip to Belichick in his press-conference - "...but now we're on to Cincinnati, if that sounds familiar."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Love watching that Gronk block from the start.

He was lined up in the wing, so that vine clip only starts after he's already driven Brown for 10+ yards towards the sideline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I don't think i've ever seen TB12 play so awful and we'd still win, put up 42 and win by 22.

Goes to show you how balanced this team is on both sides of the ball.

Hazys wrote: »
    Remaining schedule is tough, the bye is good for the team but hopefully it doesn't kill our momentum:

Bye
    16-Nov @Indianapolis
    23-Nov Detroit
    30-Nov @Green Bay
    7-Dec @San Diego
    14-Dec Miami
    21-Dec @N.Y. Jets
    28-Dec Buffalo

But to be honest the only 2 fixtures that are somewhat scary are @San Diego and Vs Miami.

I don't rate the teams that don't have a decent defense. I think the Colts are good on offense but only average on defense. I think our D is strong enough to make enough stops and their D wont be able to stop us...same goes for the Lions and Packers.

Away @Chargers is never easy and the Dolphins have seemed to figure it out so even tho we are at home, i think as its a divisional game they will run us close.

All that I pray for is no major injuries and we'll be more than ok.

But unfortunately i still think we drop enough games to become the 2nd seed in the AFC as the Broncos have an easier remaining schedule...so road will probably go through Mile High again.

Allow me to revise this a bit. Packers look a lot better on D than i originally gave them credit for even if they only played the Bears and a Sanchez lead Eagles. This game in Lambeau will be tough.

I think we beat the Lions if we can stop or limit their DL. I don't rate Stafford against a decent D and the Cardinals proved that.

Broncos losing to the Rams is MASSIVE. We now can lose one game and still get home field advantage. I think we'll lose one but i still think this will go down right to the wire.

Anyway, i'm going to take a look at flights to Arizona just for the laugh :o

• Advertisement

Stick to the day job Jonas

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

I think we beat the Lions if we can stop or limit their DL. I don't rate Stafford against a decent D and the Cardinals proved that.

Yeah, Stafford has been poor when under pressure, especially from blitzes & I expect that to continue next Sunday.

Also expect this game to turn into a low-scoring, defensive slugfest which is what most Lions games of late has descended into. Could be the lowest scoring game in ye're schedule all year. We can't put up a decent amount of points and are best in the league in scoring defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

This was a game I was going to give to the Colts a few weeks back. And I think the bye week was unfortunate timing. The team was on a serious roll and Brady was the best QB in the league in October. If they can get back into their rhythm straight away and pick up where they left of against the Broncos, then it should be a good night.

I think you were right about the unfortunate timing of the Bye. Brady certainly looked off his rhythm for the first half. Picked it up in the second and did enough. Delighted to see Gray having such a great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Watching more highlights of that game has me more optimistic for our prospects, particularly because of Gray.

That kid runs hard!
    He joined the team mid season and has very fresh legs coming into the stretch.
    There aren't many hard runners who can still go like that at the end of a season, and having him there to pound the defence could be huge for us in the playoffs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

great win. All has been covered already but it to win so convincingly, and not have Brady play well is a huge bonus.

Grays running was impressive for a number of reasons. He really churned his legs and got a lot of yards after contact or diving forward. He followed his blockers, and was very patient in his running. He hit the line hard. No dancing or shuffling 5 yards behind the line, took the ball, ran forward and followed his route.

Its great to have that running option now. Vereen was never the answer as an every down back RB, his best attributes are when he has space on a draw or a swing pass or screen, or even as a WR. So to have that 1-2 punch on RB will keep defences honest and let Brady do his work.

I still dont see how people think the Patriots cant improve from here. They scored 42 points, and I still believe there is an awful lot more in them. The defence was good in parts, but Browner is still a worry. Brady was poor. The return game was non existent. And yet we beat the probable third seed AFC team in their backyard by more than double scores. I'd be happy to keep winning these games like that, getting it done, and knowing the possibility of getting more is there.

Final note, absolute huge kudos to the OL and coaches and whoever else is involved with them. There progression has been nothing short of miraculous. From being as weak as piss the first 4 weeks, to utterly dominating Sunday night is massive. I may also throw in the DL too, restricting the Colts to 4 yards form their RBs is a huge achievement. Maybe the 2 lines are beating the crap out of each other in practice. Whatever it is, lets hope they keep it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

What I liked best about Gray's running was just how quick he hit the LOS too. No pratting about dancing in the backfield, just got the gap as fast as possible.

Power running helped us accelerate towards the playoffs last year, here's hoping Gray plays a big part in the same this year. Quietly confident we can go all the way, our defence has been exceptional as of late.

bruschi wrote: »
    I still dont see how people think the Patriots cant improve from here.
    Absolutely. There was just the one score between the teams with 9mins to go in the fourth quarter. Brady had a really poor first half, but came back strong in the 2nd. Browner had a bad night, beaten a lot of times.
    But that was the No1 ranked offense (and still are), which was restricted to 20pts. That's a good nights work on their field. As long as we have Gronk, I fancy our chances of topping 20pts most weeks.

Gray had a great night, as did the OL.
    But we're going against the No1 defence (in rushing yards, and total yards) next Sunday. A totally different proposition.
    We rushed 45 times and threw 30 times against the Colts, but I'd expect us to reverse those figures and throw the ball more against the Lions.
    bruschi wrote: »
    I may also throw in the DL too, restricting the Colts to 4 yards form their RBs is a huge achievement. Maybe the 2 lines are beating the crap out of each other in practice. Whatever it is, lets hope they keep it up.
    I forgot to mention the DL earlier. Vince in particular was immense.

What I liked best about Gray's running was just how quick he hit the LOS too. No pratting about dancing in the backfield, just got the gap as fast as possible.

I for one miss Lawerence Maroney's dancing in the backfield #bringmaroneyback

Unsung hero of the game for me was Kyle Arrington, he was put on TY Hilton and he completely took him out of the game. Hilton was averaging over 100 yards a game coming into Sunday, he was targeted 7 times and only gained 24 yards!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

anyone think Blount might be picked up on the cheap? him and Gray splitting carries would be a good tandem and save them a little for the post season.

The cover of SI!! Well that escalated quickly.

47covV15Nat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Unsung hero of the game for me was Kyle Arrington, he was put on TY Hilton and he completely took him out of the game. Hilton was averaging over 100 yards a game coming into Sunday, he was targeted 7 times and only gained 24 yards!!

I had high hopes for Maroney, he just loved to dance too much unfortunately!

TY Hilton was doubled a lot after Revis went on to Wayne, good move putting Revis on Wayne allowing the double team comfortably on TY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,924 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just to make it clear I am giving a thumbs up to the second part of your post!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Good new, Gray wasn't short of an amazing 200 yards rushing on Sunday after all. He actually got 201 Yards...
    In the fourth quarter on third-and-2 with 10:31 remaining, Gray had a carry that went for negative-2 yards, but there was a penalty that was enforced on the play. The Colts were offsides, but the accepted penalty was a personal foul facemask on Colts linebacker Erik Walden.

With that play now having been nullified, Gray gets those 2 yards back (and finishes with zero negative rushes)

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/11898556/stat-correction-gives-new-england-patriots-jonas-gray-201-rushing-yards-indianapolis-colts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

You's must be feeling pretty confident after your last 4 games. Was there any personnel changes that kick started this run?

You's must be feeling pretty confident after your last 4 games. Was there any personnel changes that kick started this run?

Not really much personal changes other than losing Mayo and Ridley.

The largest change is the improvement of the oline.

Remember when Devey was starting *shudder*

A couple of others changes from the start of the season where LaFell settling in, Gronk getting healthy, Browner coming back, adding some bulk to the Dline with Branch and Casey (improving rush D) but they all pale in comparison to the improvement of the oline.

• Advertisement

Looking back on the Colts game, I was delighted to see Gray deliver on what he flashed in preseason against the Eagles. Love his no nonsense North-South power running style. Brady was a bit off in the first half, then again, having spent the Bye week on secret tropical island with his supermodel wife. I suppose that's understandably. But he played better in the second half and did what he needed to do. A disappointing bad drop by Tyms on the first drive when Brady put the ball right on him. But I want him to get more snaps, because after all, La Fell couldn't catch a ball for the first few games and now he's a clearly trusted by Brady. He made a couple of key catches in the game and that's always good to see. The O line were immense and they've been getting better since the Bengals game. So let's hope they keep going from strength to strength. Unsung hero Develin just seemed to revel in the lead blocking role for Gray. And Gronk? Well when he's healthy, there's no TE playing or retired that even comes close. He is just Gronkantor.

On defense Wilfork continues to show he's back to 100% in recent weeks from the achilles injury. New boy Branch, showed up well with his considerable mass helping stuff the Colts run. Collins was excellent and his speed and athleticism was utilised so well on Sunday. As Munster said, I also thought Browner had a poor game and was burned for pace on a few plays. Arrington seems to be getting better and that wasn't expected and is a nice surprise. I'm beginning to think he's another one of the players from the Secondary, who's really benefiting from the Revis effect. Quite a few excellent open field tackles were produced by the defense. Overall they were physical and totally up for the challenge.

Not really much personal changes other than losing Mayo and Ridley.

Losing Chandler Jones a few weeks back, was another key loss and we still don't know if he'll make it back for the latter part of the season.:(

Key for me was the O line. Since we've settled now on our starting O line personnel. Their coordination, timing and communication along the line has really improved, especially when compared to early season struggles. Brady has been protected and the offense has started to motor. And I'd also agree with everything Hazys said earlier.

My favourite pic from the Colts game. When healthy and in full flow, the Gronkanator is just unstoppable.....

7QM2D9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

empacher wrote: »
    anyone think Blount might be picked up on the cheap? him and Gray splitting carries would be a good tandem and save them a little for the post season.

No doubt he regrets following the money to Pittsburgh. But with Gray and his power running now emerging, I can't see us resigning Blount.

Vandango wrote: »
    No doubt he regrets following the money to Pittsburgh. But with Gray and his power running now emerging, I can't see us resigning Blount.

As I understand it, any team signing him would have to pick up a bill of around 300k for his services this year, and a non guaranteed salary of 2million next year, I assume we could cut him in the off season if he was picked up, Bill might look at him as a cheap option, I wouldn't be surprised, put it that way.

He could be handy to have as an option in case anything happens to Gray, Vereen is not an every down back

Edit: With his character question marks I wouldn't be keen on him returning, there is a good team spirit right now so I would be wary of upsetting that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Thing is with Blount his main issue is game time with the Steelers. With Gray and Vereen he will see the exact same amount of game time as he did with Steelers so probably not worth himn being in New England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

kryogen wrote: »

Edit: With his character question marks I wouldn't be keen on him returning, there is a good team spirit right now so I would be wary of upsetting that

Seems he was fairly toxic in the locker room especially with the other backs. Was there any one incident that occured that wasn't widely reported?

BKWDR wrote: »
    Seems he was fairly toxic in the locker room especially with the other backs. Was there any one incident that occured that wasn't widely reported?

Yeah thats the story alright, and why he has had 4 teams in 5 years probably, but character issues are not a problem in itself for BB, I didnt hear much while he was here and assume he left due to money, rb's are cheap these days and never expected to keep him.

If he could come in and be happy with the role he would have then I wouldn't be averse to it, I would be happy to trust Bills judgement on that, some team will pick him up anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

kryogen wrote: »
    Yeah thats the story alright, and why he has had 4 teams in 5 years probably, but character issues are not a problem in itself for BB, I didnt hear much while he was here and assume he left due to money, rb's are cheap these days and never expected to keep him.

If he could come in and be happy with the role he would have then I wouldn't be averse to it, I would be happy to trust Bills judgement on that, some team will pick him up anyway

Yeah i remember when he seemed to burst to life in run in to the playoffs last year there was an article where BB seemed to be beaming about Blount and Talib and nearly saying it was because of Talibs input that he had picked up Blount...fast forward to this years preseason and they are both gone. That could be a strong enough message in itself.

Gray seems to be stepping into the spotlight at the right time and there are great options to throw to so who knows. I would be hesitant to bring in someone with a known attitude problem into a locker room that seems to be geling at the right time. Although i did think voice on here releasing Blount was a bad idea at the time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement