Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I wouldn't be surprised to see Nicks end up in New England. He's better than what you would pay him and he's still a decent wideout with some durability issues. He still has the potential to be a legitimate #1 in the right system but he has serious question marks over his work ethic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

So it's the Ravens again. Happy enough with that, I think our defense can easily handle them. It's going to come down to our O-line, if they protect Brady we win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

oRzSzLG.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

me89 wrote: »
    So it's the Ravens again. Happy enough with that, I think our defense can easily handle them. It's going to come down to our O-line, if they protect Brady we win.

I would have preferred the Colts or the Bengals. The Ravens were the last team I wanted to face and that's because they have the toughest front 7 of all the AFC playoff teams. And we've seen how we've struggled against a very good front 7 this season. We started the season worrying about the O line and now we're in the business end of the season still worried about the O line. The fact that we are still having O line problems, tells me that DeGuglielmo needs to do a better job atm. The problems we saw at the beginning of the season have returned and that shouldn't be happening.

Hopefully Connolly & Vollmer will be back and if the O line steps up, then I wouldn't be worried about any team we face. But looking at their inconsistency and their up and down play this season, I'm not confident they can or will do that. So I'm anticipating a very difficult night for Brady and our offense. If we win, I feel it will be because of our defense. We absolutely battered the Ravens 41-7 last year and mainly because we were tougher and more physical than them. Our defense was also excellent on the night, so we'll need to have the same approach on January 10th. It certainly won't be a night for finesse football and I just hope someone gives Josh that particular memo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Such a pity to see that lucky Peyton dodged a bullet again by not getting the Ravens. If the O line does their job(I have significant doubts they will) then we will win. But if they don't, then it could be a long, tough night which could be decided by a FG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

I honestly didn't care who we got because us winning and beating any of those 3 potential teams comes down to one thing... Our Offensive line protecting Brady.

The Ravens for me offer nothing more than the Colts or Bengals would have. Our issue right now is giving Brady time and keeping him on his feet. If we can't do that next Saturday it wouldn't of mattered who we got.

TO. wrote: »
    I honestly didn't care who we got because us winning and beating any of those 3 potential teams comes down to one thing... Our Offensive line protecting Brady.

The Ravens for me offer nothing more than the Colts or Bengals would have.

Don't know about that. I agree with you that protecting Brady is the key, but Baltimore are obviously best equipped to exploit our O-line struggles being that they are 2nd in the AFC and 3rd in the NFL in sacks. Compared to the Bengals who have the least sacks of any team in either conference this yer.

Don't know about that. I agree with you that protecting Brady is the key, but Baltimore are obviously best equipped to exploit our O-line struggles being that they are 2nd in the AFC and 3rd in the NFL in sacks. Compared to the Bengals who have the least sacks of any team in either conference this yer.

Don't know about what? I have no idea what you are disagreeing with.

But anyways If that O-line can't protect Brady the Colts would have beaten up our Oline also they had 8 less sacks than the Ravens on the season. We were sh1t against the Jets and all round sh1t against the Bills even if we were down a couple of starters in recent weeks.

I was probably wrong to include the Bengals in the conversation because I didn't see them beating the Colts anyways but even still if our Oline plays like garbage again how well all 3 defenses played all season will become irrelevant.

This game comes down to our offense. When we have looked bad its because of them and that oline. If the line can't perform we will put all the pressure on our D and most likely lose. But my opinion stands I don't care who we got.

TO. wrote: »
    Don't know about what? I have no idea what you are disagreeing with.

I was disagreeing with the theory that Baltimore offer nothing more than Cincinatti when they clearly do. Their biggest strength just happens to match up with our biggest weakness so that to me is a concern, whereas the Bengals had only 20 sacks all year - there were individual players who had more than that by themselves. Sure they have their own strengths, but I would much rather our struggling o-line go up against the worst pass rush in the league rather than the 3rd best. I would have thought it was the ideal scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Home since Saturday, really enjoyed the trip. The wild card games have helped me cope with the jetlag.

Enjoyed the game overall and the experience, of course it was a bit of a dead duck when we found out the IA list so no Gronk / Edelman or Gray and you already knew Brady wouldn't play a full game. But i suppose the tail gate was brilliant before and after and the atmosphere was great too.

333739.JPG

Our seats we had tickets for were actually in a no drinking zone so we moved after the 1st quarter to the other side as there was a few free seats beside friends. Couldn't complain over all, even the weather was great, mild at one point.

Happy new year all! Can't wait for this weekends game. I don't think the Ravens are to be feared but im not *as* confident as i would be with another team. They played well against the Steelers and Suggs (hate that guy) really ran the game.

• Advertisement

I was disagreeing with the theory that Baltimore offer nothing more than Cincinatti when they clearly do. Their biggest strength just happens to match up with our biggest weakness so that to me is a concern, whereas the Bengals had only 20 sacks all year - there were individual players who had more than that by themselves. Sure they have their own strengths, but I would much rather our struggling o-line go up against the worst pass rush in the league rather than the 3rd best. I would have thought it was the ideal scenario.

As I said I personally don't care who we got. It is all about protecting Brady and whether we get the worst team in there or the best we will sirely make life hard for ourselves. As I said in my previous post I was probably wrong to include the Bengals in there when comparing strengths but my own opinion stills stands. The Bengals may not be as good as the Colts or Ravens but if we can't protect Brady and our o-line plays sh1t we will make hard work of a game we should be winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

A full turn out a practice yesterday. Particularly glad to see that La Fell was back on the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Some great clips, editing is a bit weird tho

Great article on Gronk: http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/07/rob-gronkowski-new-england-patriots-nfl-playoffs-ravens/
    As Gronk’s profile rose, his core personality remained entrenched in the FGK House. That’s the four-bedroom faux frat house in Foxborough where Gronk lived during the 2011 and ’12 seasons with linebacker Dane (Freshman) Fletcher and journeyman linebacker Niko Koutouvides. Defiantly unrefined, they duct-taped the initials FGK (Fletcher, Gronkowski, Koutouvides) to the living room wall like fraternity letters. “[Gronk and I] were into the same things—girls and hanging out and having a good time on top of football,” Fletcher says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Vandango wrote: »
    A full turn out a practice yesterday. Particularly glad to see that La Fell was back on the field.

Can't ask for more than that with only 3 games left!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Patrick Chung has agreed a new 3 year deal. Brandon Bolden has signed a new 2 year contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Chung will receive $4.2 million in base salary as well as a $2.4 million signing bonus. Bolden will get $2.32 million in base salary

Unrestricted:

Danny Aiken, LS

Akeem Ayers, DE/LB

Alan Branch, DT

Jonathan Casillas, LB

Patrick Chung, S

Dan Connolly, G

Stephen Gostkowski, K

Steve Maneri, TE

Devin McCourty, S

Stevan Ridley, RB

Shane Vereen, RB

Chris White, LB

Restricted:

Brandon Bolden, RB

Looks like Brady's deal is being put to good use. 2 solid team team players locked up for a couple more years. Now lets get some of the bigger players done too before they hit free agency.

I think our priority list should be:
    1. Revis
    2. McCourty
    3. Vereen
    4. Gostowski
    5. Connolly
    Hopefully we can keep Ayers and Ridley on cheap prove it deals.

• Advertisement

Bolden's real value is on ST's, he is core member of the unit and made some huge plays this season. While I could take or leave him being on the RB committee, I'm glad to see us tying him on up for ST's.

Chung has shocked me. I and I think quite a few Pats were glad to see the back of him when he went to the Eagles. But he's been a completely different player since he came back. So full credit to him for stepping up and earning his dues.

I also agree with all of the priority signings Hazys listed. But I'd particularly like to lock up Ayers. The guy has been a revelation since he came to us, made a lot of great game changing plays and made us nearly not miss Jones when he was out. My only concern is he'll probably be able to command bigger money on the FA market. And as we all know, it would be the first time we resurrected a player nobody wanted, only to lose him in FA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Where is all this Ravens love coming from? I just don't see them winning Saturday- I watched a couple of their games towards the latter end of the season when they were must win games and they were rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Vanolder wrote: »
    Where is all this Ravens love coming from? I just don't see them winning Saturday- I watched a couple of their games towards the latter end of the season when they were must win games and they were rubbish.

2 wins from 3 P-O games in Foxboro.
    Cant see them making it 3 from 4 tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭Shedite27

2 wins from 3 P-O games in Foxboro.
    Cant see them making it 3 from 4 tho.
    And should have been overtime in the 4th...

Vanolder wrote: »

The reason they are scary to the Pats is because the quality of their pass rush. All this playoff history stuff is completely irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Hazys wrote: »
    The reason they are scary to the Pats is because the quality of their pass rush. All this playoff history stuff is completely irrelevant.
    It's a lot to do with the pass rush, but the history is certainly not irrelevant, especially as it's so recent. A lot of those Ravens have won a playoff game in Foxboro. They will be a very confident team

Shedite27 wrote: »
    but the history is certainly not irrelevant, especially as it's so recent.

Of course it's irrelevant, we battered the Ravens 41 - 7 in Baltimore last year and it was a crushing blow to their playoff chances. But this is 2015 and that beating now means absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Shedite27 wrote: »
    And should have been overtime in the 4th...

At least Ravens fans took the missed FG well.......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,926 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've been of the opinion from early in the season that the players were being carefully prepared for a postseason run. I think they looked at the early schedule and knew they could win at least two games without having everybody fully tuned up.

I think in the last couple of games that players have been tuned down again to help prevent injuries going into the postseason. I think we've seen this the most with the bigger men, the OL and the DL.

Another thing I'm convinced of is that Jonas Gray has been wrapped in cotton wool since his big game. He showed enough in a couple of games to make me believe that he will be a key part of the offense in the postseason. He hits every hole where he is supposed to and the OL looked to me like they loved blocking for him because of that.

I'm of the belief that Belichick and his team have got things right this season and are better prepared than ever for a postseason run. The opposition doesn't worry me at all, as TO said earlier, all that worries me is our guys playing at the level they were for most of the season. If we can do that I don't think there is any team capable of stopping us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I hope your right EE

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement