Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Still buzzing after that, can't wait to watch the condensed highlights later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

To win a tough one like that has got to give you a huge boost regardless of who is coming up in the Championship game, mental toughness is a huge part of the playoffs and now that its over I am happy the team had to dig so deep to win it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

“I was surprised to see Brady take part. The rookies looked at the seemingly pretty boy quarterback and laughed. I think I snickered myself. still have never seen anybody chug a beer faster than Tom Brady. You should’ve seen the way he slammed down his cup — it was like he was spiking the ball after a TD,” Tucker wrote. “It was hilarious. It was awesome. It was textbook Brady.”

Ross Tucker the former Patriot on Brady. You've really gotta love Brady he's such a competitor.

Harbaugh having a good whinge about being clueless on who to cover on that series he used the bit of gamesmanship to slow the momentum. Warms my heart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

kryogen wrote: »
    Harbaugh having a good whinge about being clueless on who to cover on that series he used the bit of gamesmanship to slow the momentum. Warms my heart

Can someone explain what happened on that play? Was it the Edelman toss play?

• Advertisement

DBIreland wrote: »
    Can someone explain what happened on that play? Was it the Edelman toss play?

No, it was the series where they had no idea who to cover, it was to counter act the pass rush, Pats were changing who was ineligible at the line and it confused the hell out of the Ravens. Hoo-man ended up open a couple of times because they couldn't react quick enough to the changes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

What a game....up and down, up and down. I think I snapped at my GF multiple times I was so on edge....we were both jumping around the place after the LaFell TD - she didn't know why she was jumping around she was just getting a buzz off me freaking out.

It was a lot closer than I thought- I'm sure rustiness played a part in the first half but Tom and OL were under all kinds of pressure- Tom stood up and took some serious hits. That's the kind of test you want before next week and if we are to go further....it's the kind of test Denver never got last year.

Big credit to Amendola last night also, came up with some big plays! That trick play was magic and will keep teams guessing, but shows how good the Ravens were that we really had to dig deep in the play book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Like everyone else I think I'm just about recovered from that game.

What an unbelievable game though. Fair play to flacco and the ravens for putting it up to us.

Brady was unreal buy I don't see much love for solder and vollmer but they did a great job on suggs and dumervil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

No, it was the series where they had no idea who to cover, it was to counter act the pass rush, Pats were changing who was ineligible at the line and it confused the hell out of the Ravens. Hoo-man ended up open a couple of times because they couldn't react quick enough to the changes

Mad thing is under the old rules Harbaugh would have no right to complain but he was trying to piggy back on the new ruling of allowing the Defense bring on subs. But he got it totally wrong as that is nowhere near the same rule. Adjustments on the field are all up to him and his defense. The Refs announced the Eligibility change and if the Ravens D can't figure out who is who that is on them. Typical Harbaugh whinging.

On another note New England is buzzing right now. Up early for morning coffee and everyone outside is buzzing. People are so happy early on a Sunday morning. The banter with Strangers is awesome this morning. Always love how sports affects New Englanders. Oh and everyone wearing something Patriots, Male Female old and young and even animals. Go Pats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Email from my friend who had great seats ideal for the double pass. See attached

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

First post here but, as a Pats fan since '85, should I be supporting the Colts to beat the Broncos?

Coz I have to admit it makes me feel a little dirty:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Colts in the championship. Broncos stunk tonight.

Luck is playing extremly well and on a tough road game. Dont think foxborough will faze him. Hopefully we see a resurrgence of our running game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

I wonder will Gray get a chance to reprise his starring role next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

What reason was Gray inactive for the game? Didn't see it explained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

What reason was Gray inactive for the game? Didn't see it explained.

We weren't running the ball.
    The RB's had 7 touches.
    Brady had 50 pass attempts.

I think it was a toe injury, but tbh I didn't check it out. Another odd personnel thing this season. There have been a few! Did Ayers see any snaps last night actually?

I worry about the Colts, Luck can really hurt us, need to get the running game going against them, some long drives and some real pass rush would be wonderful :)

We weren't running the ball.
    The RB's had 7 touches.
    Brady had 50 pass attempts.

Because we couldn't run the ball! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Gile

Next game will be easier than Ravens one, I hope. The Colts didn't know how to deal with the power-backs twice already(before Gray, Blount had a great playoff game last year against the same Colts).
    I expect to see Luck with some points on the board but also with some interceptions, specially if the Colts start or lay behind on the score at some point, and I don't think they'll give us that kind of a pressure as the Ravens did.
    I didn't watch the game tho, but unless Luck got mature from water to wine and the Colts defense plays like Baltimore D-Line, I don't expect to see something really different from that.

You might be in for a surprise so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Because we couldn't run the ball! :)

We couldn't run it, but it appeared that we game planned to throw.
    Gray may not have gotten a carry even if he was on the sideline.

We couldn't run it, but it appeared that we game planned to throw.
    Gray may not have gotten a carry even if he was on the sideline.

I don't think we are too far away in our thoughts on it, I think BB knew we would not have much success running the ball and knew that the secondary was where the Ravens could be hurt so the game plan was built around that.

The pass attack on paper looked to have a much better chance of success then a ground and pound, though I would have preferred to see a bit more balance, and obviously the team would too, it would help close out games etc you understand it when facing a defensive front like the Ravens have, it is very hard to run on them.

We couldn't run so we passed and it came off, against the Colts last time around Gray was a bit of a surprise factor to them and they had no answer to him, I think they would be better prepared this time around but hopefully with Blount also we can have success there again because they looked godd in coverage tonight though Manning was well below his level.

Gile wrote: »
    Next game will be easier than Ravens one, I hope. The Colts didn't know how to deal with the power-backs twice already(before Gray, Blount had a great playoff game last year against the same Colts).
    I expect to see Luck with some points on the board but also with some interceptions, specially if the Colts start or lay behind on the score at some point, and I don't think they'll give us that kind of a pressure as the Ravens did.
    I didn't watch the game tho, but unless Luck got mature from water to wine and the Colts defense plays like Baltimore D-Line, I don't expect to see something really different from that.

So you didn't watch the game? So what are you basing all of the above on?

The colts have looked sharp over the last 2 games and a far cry from that crap we played in November. This might not be as easy as some Pats fans are expecting next week.

Lets not forget our Defense were shady at stages yesterday and that Colts offense is a lot more potent than Flacco and co. The Colts have also stiffened up that defense and they are looking good.

You can be sure as hell Bill wont be as complacent as some when it comes to this game neither will anyone in the organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,424 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Did Ayers see any snaps last night actually
    YEah I noticed he wasn't playing much (if at all) this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Did Ayers not give up an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty at one stage?

Don't know, if he did I missed it but I'll be re watching the game in a bit so will take a closer look

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I think it was White, but I thought too that Ayers was beside him when it happened. Maybe he was only in on special teams plays. Just looking at the snap counts, he was only in once on defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

bruschi wrote: »
    I think it was White, but I thought too that Ayers was beside him when it happened. Maybe he was only in on special teams plays. Just looking at the snap counts, he was only in once on defence.

It was a special teams play. I'm pretty sure it was Ayers who was taunting, but they announced the wrong number (56?), I remember commenting to my friends who aren't Pats fans. I have a feeling that played a part in him not getting many pass-rushing looks, Belichick hates stupid penalties.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

CJC86 wrote: »
    It was a special teams play. I'm pretty sure it was Ayers who was taunting, but they announced the wrong number (56?), I remember commenting to my friends who aren't Pats fans. I have a feeling that played a part in him not getting many pass-rushing looks, Belichick hates stupid penalties.

yeah but that taunting penalty came a good portion into the second quarter (I too thought it was Ayers who was taunting, but they did call White or it). He hadnt had any action on defence before that even. I just think Ayers lack of game time was Bills usual situational football mantra and specific gameplans. Tim Wright got 3 snaps, Gray was inactive (dont know if a healthy scratch or not, but still). I think Ayers just lost out to the type of gameplan they had, and that he is behind Collins and Hightower on the depth chart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

From a Patriots perspective the good thing is the Colts front 7 is nowhere near the same level as the Ravens. They don't have much of a pass rush so Brady should have time barring a major malfunction in the Pats offensive line. They can also be run on (a lot) although they have stiffened up a bit lately in that regard.

On the negative side the Colts secondary is actually pretty good. Certainly a lot better than the Ravens are. And they have Andrew Luck who has the potential to play out of his mind and win any game although he is still prone to throwing picks when he's pressured.

Half way through the Broncos v Colts game I think any Pats fan had to be shouting for a Broncos win as Manning's play has just fallen off a cliff. He would have wilted in chilly Foxboro next weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement