Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Have to say, one of my favourite moments from last night's game, was Nate Solder's, and the OL celebrating afterwards. As a unit they've taken a lot of criticism this year, alot of it justified, but the have done well more often that not.

They certainly enjoined one of their own scoring a TD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Syferus wrote: »
    It's the definition of a story if the NFL is investigating the Patriots for potential rule-breaking, TO. Hard to understand this irrational rage at the media for reporting what is happening.
    Irrational rage? Perhaps on your part, and those that have over reacted.

As for "the media reporting what is happening":
    NFL VP of officiating Dean Blandino told NFL AM on Monday that, "it's not unheard of for a ball to be removed from circulation and then tested during the week for whatever issue there was."

Why have the media not reported these before?
    Why did a journalist "tweet" a report rather than bother to investigate it fully and obtain the full facts before knowingly causing an unfounded stir?
    Why are there people slamming the Pats on social media (as they did after Harbaugh's comments)?
    I think we all know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The only actual news is that the NFL are investigating (overly cautiously because of how badly they have f'd up their other investigations this year) the possibility of deflated balls because a Colts hack writer has sources saying that the Patriots are deflating balls.

Of course with nothing else for the talking heads to talk about the story has run legs and we're seeing this type of crazed hysteria: https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/F14FB779A01169100637750108160_391c0165136.1.5.10283580940763811121.mp4?versionId=LOJuGQOrEEVBy46I8B4XsOUi0i1SvM8z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

infacteh wrote: »
    Have to say, one of my favourite moments from last night's game, was Nate Solder's, and the OL celebrating afterwards.

One of my favourite moments also. Loved these two photos that caught the moment beautifully....

Nate running with his precious baby.....

7xGb8P.jpg

And the O line loving it.....

8hip43.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Nice glimpse in that video of Brady apparently asking for the ball from the official to give back to Solder. Pure class

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Nice glimpse in that video of Brady apparently asking for the ball from the official to give back to Solder. Pure class

he was only trying to get one of the deflated balls back, quick thinking though, that official could have kept it and it would have been tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭DecStone

bruschi wrote: »
    he was only trying to get one of the deflated balls back, quick thinking though, that official could have kept it and it would have been tested.

I'm in the US at the moment and this story is all over the news here. Apparently it was an interception that led to the ball being given to a Colts coach/staff member. I can't post a link - not enough posts - and I'm not a Pats or Colts fan so don't have a dog in the race but here is a cut and paste from ESPN Boston:

"An interception by Indianapolis Colts linebacker D'Qwell Jackson during Sunday's AFC Championship Game is what initially led to an NFL investigation into whether the New England Patriots intentionally deflated footballs during their rain-soaked victory, Newsday is reporting.

The newspaper, citing a person familiar with background of the matter, reported that Jackson, following his second-quarter interception, gave the ball to a member of the Colts' equipment staff, who noticed it was not fully inflated and informed Indianapolis coach Chuck Pagano."

DecStone wrote: »
    here is a cut and paste from ESPN Boston
    Here is the article: http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12193345/nfl-investigating-whether-new-england-patriots-deflated-footballs-indianapolis-colts

So it appears that the ball in question, is the one that was intercepted (so much for making it easier to throw :)).
    The Colts' equipment staff member felt it seemed under inflated. From there it went to Pagano and GM Grigson, and Grigson alerted Mike Kensil.
    Presumely a member of the Colts backrow informed Kravitz who tweeted out.

Ok. New twist. The INT ball was deflated by the Colts and then handed over. :P

Seriously though. How can the NFL not have come out with their findings by this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

DecStone wrote: »
    I'm in the US at the moment and this story is all over the news here. Apparently it was an interception that led to the ball being given to a Colts coach/staff member. I can't post a link - not enough posts - and I'm not a Pats or Colts fan so don't have a dog in the race but here is a cut and paste from ESPN Boston:

"An interception by Indianapolis Colts linebacker D'Qwell Jackson during Sunday's AFC Championship Game is what initially led to an NFL investigation into whether the New England Patriots intentionally deflated footballs during their rain-soaked victory, Newsday is reporting.

The newspaper, citing a person familiar with background of the matter, reported that Jackson, following his second-quarter interception, gave the ball to a member of the Colts' equipment staff, who noticed it was not fully inflated and informed Indianapolis coach Chuck Pagano."

...which all kinda flies in the face of the idea of this being a 'non-story' as some here are trying to portray it as, blaming the media for some sort of malpractice when there looks to have been none. Let the Investigation be completed before you go ahead and start claiming it's a witch hunt.

...which all kinda flies in the face of the idea of this being a 'non-story' as some here are trying to portray it as, blaming the media for some sort of malpractice when there looks to have been none. Let the Investigation be completed before you go ahead and start claiming it's a witch hunt.

yeah, I'd accept that if this was the only case ever done.

but when the head of the NFL officiating says "it's not unheard of for a ball to be removed from circulation and then tested during the week for whatever issue there was"

then why is this the only case heard of? How can a reporter say within hours of a game that potential draft picks would be taken before any sort of official line has been taken?

let an investigation take place before putting out reports. If there was investigations before, why werent they being reported before they were investigated? Why is this one out there before anything has been done? Because its an easy target, and an easy way to increase a profile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Spoke with my pal in New England last night, he has said it's a non story. But again it's all relevant to what story you are looking for.

Seemingly footballs are removed all the time. Hard to see how they can prove they were intentionally deflated really. And who says the Colts didn't deflate a ball that went back into circulation? (if this happened at all)

They will give it a few column inches but no point in getting excited about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Jesus wept, you can see why Lynch doesn't speak to the media:

Carroll on facing The Patriots in the Superbowl:
    "It's really fun. Who cares? But it's really fun, it's a little bit personal because we were there and it's a great place and I have great respect for what they have done, the family, what they have pulled off over the years. The Kraft family, they've done amazing things, historic things in the league and in the last 15 years or however long it's been ... They've been the best of the best and they've proven it. So we're fortunate to get a chance to get to play a team like this and a club like this."

So from that quote, what did NFL.com pick for their headline?
    Pete Carroll on facing Patriots: 'It's a little bit personal'

:rolleyes:

Yeah yeah yeah, we can see your agenda anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It is a non story though. It is certainly not news worthy and the only reason it is getting media attention is because it is the New England Patriots and there is no football this week, pro bowl doesn't count. The media will be off having fun at that, they can't be focusing on actual news this week.

Then get back to hyping up the Superbowl all next week.

The story has grown legs already, when there is only one official report that the NFL are investigating. Everything else is just hysteria at this point.

The NFL needs to come out sooner rather than later before Arlen Specter comes back from the dead and gets involved.

Interesting discussion between Jim Nantz and Phil Simms during the Packers Patriots game during the year:
    Nantz: We talked to [Aaron] Rodgers about 'How do you like your footballs?' Because, you know, you can rub them up before the game. [Phil], you really kind of created that for everybody else in the league.

Simms: I don’t know if I did, because the quarterbacks got tired of them complaining. But he said something [that] was unique: 'I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football, even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it.' Because he thinks it’s easier for him to grip. He likes them tight. Of course, he’s got very big hands and you can tell that by watching him play.

Nantz: You’ve never heard of a guy really desiring a football to be fat and overinflated before, have you?

Simms: Everybody wants it smaller and soft, so they can dig their fingers into. He’s such a feel thrower. You can tell. The one touchdown he threw down the field to the tight end is such feel; then he flicks it. That shows you he just has great control of it, with his fingers and hand.

Nantz: He said, 'God gave me big hands and a strong grip.'

Simms: You know, the officials do check those footballs and sometimes maybe even get lucky and put an extra half pound of air in there to help Aaron Rodgers out.

Yeah was gonna post about it earlier but didn't bother, pretty common knowledge teams taper their ball to the QB specifications.

Gronk has clarified the issue

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/gronkowski-pokes-fun-deflate-gate-twitter

Whoops lol pic.twitter.com/uLxN7A5cpq — Rob Gronkowski (@RobGronkowski) January 20, 2015

patriots-gronkowski-spike-110214.jpg?itok=XTHXE6R4

TO. wrote: »
    I find it hilarious that you rarely post in the forum anymore but when controversy surrounding the Pats pops up you come back in and troll the Pats thread. At least you are consistent with your nonsense when it comes to the Pats.

I find it very Woodchopperesque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Mort reporting 11 footballs were 2 pounds underweight according to NFL. Whether we get fined or lose picks or whatever other nonsense is thrown our way one thing is sure

"The Patriots Cheated their way to another Bowl" will be a phrase we will have to get used to even more.

I am personally at the point of not caring anymore. Just going to ride it out and let the sh1t storm commence. Innocent or guilty it wont change the haters minds anyways so why let it get to us anymore.

Im sure a few muppets in here will be starting off in the next few hours so I say bring it :D

• Advertisement

Mort reporting 11 footballs were 2 pounds underweight according to NFL. Whether we get fined or lose picks or whatever other nonsense is thrown our way one thing is sure

"The Patriots Cheated their way to another Bowl" will be a phrase we will have to get used to even more.

I am personally at the point of not caring anymore. Just going to ride it out and let the sh1t storm commence. Innocent or guilty it wont change the haters minds anyways so why let it get to us anymore.

Im sure a few muppets in here will be starting off in the next few hours so I say bring it :D

Definetly an us versus them situation now...as honestly we would be the only ones who were ever going to get caught (or any other slight infraction, teams were waiting to pounce). I don't think anybody cared to complain about the Packers but apparently the Ravens players had told the Colts about it and the Colts had planned to complain the first opportunity they got and they did. Both teams got handed a loss so keep hating and we'll keep winning.

I don't give two fcuks about the level of pressure in a football...I'm going to ride or die with the Patriots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I find it hilarious that you rarely post in the forum anymore but when controversy surrounding the Pats pops up you come back in and troll the Pats thread. At least you are consistent with your nonsense when it comes to the Pats.

Post plenty on the college football threads, TO. Only have time to take deeper notice of the NFL once it gets to Christmas and the year winds down.

11 of 12 balls under the regulated inflation levels, looks like the media weren't making a story out of thin air so, despite your jibes, you were the one looking at the situation from the wrong angle. It wasn't a witch-hunt by some reporter trying to make a name for himself, it wasn't the Patriots being wrongly crucified.

Indeed you could say the only thing thin on air in this story was the Patriots' footballs..

there is a huge difference between under inflated footballs and deflating footballs. I'm waiting on the investigation to come through first. not that it will make any difference to the haters.

So at its full point the ball should have the air pressure of 12.5 to 13.5 pounds per square inch. According to the sources the Patriots 11 footballs were 2 pounds too light.

Here is the rule on the ball for what its worth.
    Section 1
    BALL DIMENSIONS

The Ball must be a “Wilson,” hand selected, bearing
    the signature of the Commissioner of the League, Roger Goodell.
    The ball shall be made up of an inflated (12 1/2 to 13 1/2 pounds) urethane bladder enclosed in a pebble grained, leather case
    (natural tan color) without corrugations of any kind. It shall have the form of a prolate spheroid and the size and weight shall be: long axis, 11 to 11 1/4 inches; long circumference, 28 to 28 1/2 inches; short circumference, 21 to 21 1/4 inches; weight, 14 to 15 ounces.

The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications. A pump is to be furnished by the home club, and the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game.

Section 2
    BALL SUPPLY

Each team will make 12 primary balls available for testing by the Referee two hours and 15 minutes prior to the starting time of
    the game to meet League requirements. The home team will also make 12 backup balls available for testing in all
    stadiums. In addition, the visitors, at their discretion, may bring 12 backup balls to be tested by the Referee for games
    held in outdoor stadiums. For all games, eight new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer to
    the Referee, will be opened in the officials’ locker room two hours and 15 minutes prior to the starting time of the game.

These balls are to be specially marked by the Referee and used exclusively for the kicking game.

In the event a home team ball does not conform to specifications, or its supply is exhausted, the Referee shall secure a proper
    ball from the visitors and, failing that, use the best available ball. Any such circumstances must be reported to the
    Commissioner.
    In case of rain or a wet, muddy, or slippery field, a playable ball shall be used at the request of t
    he offensive team’s center.
    The Game Clock shall not stop for such action (unless undue delay occurs).
    Note: It is the responsibility of the home team to furnish playable balls at all times by attendants from either side of the playing
    field

by the way, the Ravens are coming out of this like some shower of utter tools. complaining now that the kicking balls were under inflated. despite the fact that these are 8 shared balls which dont go through the team. dickheads.

by the way, the Ravens are coming out of this like some shower of utter tools. complaining now that the kicking balls were under inflated. despite the fact that these are 8 shared balls which dont go through the team. dickheads.

And 8 balls that have their own rules. Doesn't surprise me the Ravens are still butt hurt over it.

Post plenty on the college football threads, TO. Only have time to take deeper notice of the NFL once it gets to Christmas and the year winds down.

11 of 12 balls under the regulated inflation levels, looks like the media weren't making a story out of thin air so, despite your jibes, you were the one looking at the situation from the wrong angle. It wasn't a witch-hunt by some reporter trying to make a name for himself, it wasn't the Patriots being wrongly crucified.

Indeed you could say the only thing thin on air in this story was the Patriots' footballs..

11 of 12, according to the media, so...................................................................................................
    ....................................................................................
    ....................................................how in the hell does that give the media any more credit?

What did the league say to back up the media?

5AnYcw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭DecStone

And 8 balls that have their own rules. Doesn't surprise me the Ravens are still butt hurt over it.

To be exact and fair to the Ravens this information only came out because they were specifically contracted by the NFL about their game with the Pats.

I heard Harbaugh's interview [to introduce new Ravens offensive coordinator Marc Trestman] and he explained that they were contacted by the NFL and said during their game that the kickers suspected that the balls were underinflated BUT he also said that as both teams used the same balls they thought nothing of it at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,926 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No matter who wins on Sunday week one fact that will be true is that the only two head coaches ever hired by Bob Kraft, since he bought the Patriots almost 21 years ago, will have won five superbowls between them.

Just a glimpse of how important an owner is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement