Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Don't worry. Plenty still will.

Idiots and haters don't concern us though.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Not a fan of either team, but happy that Brady got the win.

He deserved it and played fantastic last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

JCTO wrote: »

We really have witnessed the Greatest QB of all time. Simple no denying it now.
    Joe Montana says hello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Tom Brady did it all last night, even appearing in the commercials...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npFi4ZZYHqw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Hightower to have off season surgery: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000467794/article/pats-lb-donta-hightower-to-undergo-shoulder-surgery

Played most of the game with one arm. He is really starting to fulfill his potential and amazingly he's still only 24.

A healthy trio of Collins, Hightower and Mayo would be unstoppable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

My first time to post in the Pats thread and I just wanted to say congratulations on a fantastic game & performance. As a Colts fan I really wish it wasn't the case, but there's no doubt left for me that Brady is the GOAT and Belichick is the GOAT HC. Now can ye please make them retire and give the rest of us a chance.:(
    Whosthis wrote: »
    Joe Montana says hello.

Says hello to say how easy he had it?

No salary cap era to struggle with, big money could keep teams together for as much as you could afford, no free agency, surrounded by elite HOF WRs all his career, less complicated defensive schemes. Yes Montana had it easy compared to Brady. The only thing Montana shares with Brady is 4 rings. Otherwise, Brady owns every significant record of note.

Areyouwell wrote: »
    Yes Montana had it easy compared to Brady. The only thing Montana shares with Brady is 4 rings. Otherwise, Brady owns every significant record of note.

Aren't most of those held by Manning and Favre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,926 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Manning and Favre have regular season records.

The ones we are talking about our postseason records, you know the ones where all the greats play at a higher level than the rest. The players who play great when it matters most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

No, I think the poster said significant records. So he probably wasn't talking about the irrelevant, regular season, meaningless nonsense.

I think he meant the significant records set during big boy football time. You know? Stuff like most playoffs wins in history, most Superbowl appearances, most Superbowl TDS and all the other significant postseason records that Brady owns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Joe Montana says hello.

Hello Joe.

You are entitled to your opinion but I do think you are wrong. You compare their body of works together Tom edges it.

• Advertisement

Vandango wrote: »
    No, I think the poster said significant records. So he probably wasn't talking about the irrelevant, regular season, meaningless nonsense.

I think he meant the significant records set during big boy football time. You know? Stuff like most playoffs wins in history, most Superbowl appearances, most Superbowl TDS and all the other significant postseason records that Brady owns.

Yes the poster said significant, he didn't say post season. Dismissing regular season football as nonsense seems a little strange or do you only start watching in January?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Yes the poster said significant, he didn't say post season. Dismissing regular season football as nonsense seems a little strange or do you only start watching in January?

I wouldn't dismiss regular season records but football is about winning when it really matters. Individual records are just the window dressing on a career. I guess if you asked the vast majority of QB's would they want the records or the rings at the end of their career they would just about all want the titles first and records second. I don't think Brady has ever had even the slightest interest in individual records (although he has a few of them). He just wants the superbowl rings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Corvus, the Sherman gif is going to stand alongside the Ryan one from the Saints game as an all time favourite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The GOAT conversation is very difficult due to different eras of football.

But for me, Brady is easily the greatest of his generation. Nobody comes close. Those two 4th quarter drives are the hallmark of Brady; the definition of clutch.

There's been some great QB's during Bradys reign. The Brady v Manning coversation has been to fore for almost a decade. 4 SB's to 1 might be too simplistic, but their postseason records, and overall head to head, just blows away any argument (and I say that as a fan of Manning).

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

Vandango wrote: »

Spot on there Vandango, that's exactly what I meant.
    Yes the poster said significant, he didn't say post season.

Sorry you are wrong, Vandango nailed the interpretation of my earlier post. Or as he put it himself so well - "The records set during Big boy football time." You Know? The postseason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Stolen from Balls.ie :D

MNKOY1M.gif

EDIT: Embedded link keeps being blocked for some reason. Here it is anyway

http://balls.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/MNKOY1M.gif

Areyouwell wrote: »
    Spot on there Vandango, that's exactly what I meant.

Sorry you are wrong, Vandango nailed the interpretation of my earlier post. Or as he put it himself so well - "The records set during Big boy football time." You Know? The postseason.

Well that's all very convenient.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Can you guys relax with the snotty attitudes?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

What a win. By far the best of the 4 superbowl wins. By a long way. When we beat the Rams, it was a shot in the dark, we were total underdogs, so to go and win the first was amazing. We were favourites against the Panthers, and it was a great exciting game to win. Same as the Eagles, although that was a more comfortable win. Obviously I enjoyed them all, and for their own specific reasons, but this one was another level again.

This one though, was better for a whole host of reasons. Firstly, it elevated Brady up to the top tier with no arguments at all. The Manning debate is done. There is no comparison. And I wont debate that with anyone anymore. This season showed why. I’ll be straight up and say I never say Montana live and have only seen highlights etc, so it is impossible to make definitive calls like that. The only thing I can go on is their body of work, what was around them, and what they achieved. As a pure black and white exercise, Brady comes out ahead. But either way, this game elevated Brady up another notch, and I am absolutely delighted for him and all that he does for the best team in the world.

The crap the organisation, players and fans have had to endure for the last few years is another one. To win this was a big flip the bird to a lot of people. Even what has happened over the last 2 weeks. It was disgraceful what happened, and I was delighted to hear Bob Krafts speech at the hotel calling out the NFL.

But in terms of football, it was a great win because they did it against a very good defence. 10 points down in the 4th, and to play like they did from Brady to all the receivers, was just magnificent. Gronk, Vereen, Amendola, Edelman, LaFell, Blount. They all contributed with some massive plays. The O line kept Brady up. He took shots, but they didn’t collapse on him like they had done. They made adjustments, they made plays, and they did what was asked of them.

And the defence. They finally stepped up when it absolutely matter most. They had a great game all round, and did what they had to do. They limited Lynch and Wilson as well as anyone could. Matthews was a shot in the dark that worked for Seattle, and at least Browner stood up and made the call to take him out. And Butler. If I could, I’d like to post this here as one of my better calls
    bruschi wrote: »
    Malcolm Butler will be the biggest undrafted rookie in the league this year.
    And so it proved! Although I did think he would get more playing time over the year. Am delighted for him too though. And he deserves far more plaudits than he is getting. They play he made was brilliant for so many reasons. His read on it and execution. Fantastic.

In terms of the adversity and doubt on the team all year. When they were destroyed by Kansas, and then let Thompkins go, I was really down. It was one of my sorts calls of the season! I was more down because at the start of the year I genuinely believed we would win the superbowl. Seeing that performance following on the previous 3, and then releasing one of our best up and coming talents was a kick in the teeth, and I was highly doubtful on where this team was heading. At that stage, I dint think the O line in particular could turn the season around. As bad and all as Brady played, I still thought he’d be ok, but just thought this was the start of a natural decline. In terms of Belichick, I couldn’t understand some of the questionable moves and calls. He himself has said the half time of that game was the turning point of the season, so I suppose I’ll give myself the get out clause and say at least it wasn’t just me who realised things had been awful for the first 4 games of the year.

But they did turn things around. Massively. All over the field, and it is testament to their drive, ability and absolute single minded determination to win. There was no game since then that I had any doubts in them. Even the Packers loss, I didn’t mind that at all. We were there right up to the end of that, and had we had another crack, I’d have fancied my chances. That loss actually reinforced my thought that they could win it all.

As for the game itself, it was brilliant. I was absolutely distraught when Kearse made that catch. Head in my hands saying “not again. Not another fluke out of no where catch to beat us so late in the game. This cant be happening again.” It was torture. I never celebrated so hard when Butler made that play. I didn’t stop celebrating for about an hour after. I was an absolute mess I’d say jumping around.

So another year over. That win will keep me going for a long long time. The off season wont be bad at all. I remember after the 07 loss that I didn’t read a thing during off season, I didn’t watch anything, I just wanted it all to start again (and then it did and in such in awfule manner), so this year I will be making the most out of the break, looking forward to everything that will come with it. Off season with the Lombardi in Foxborough makes it all the more easy to accept!

TL;DR: WE Won!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brady is the best ever!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Quick thought, if you watch a particularly good post game video or interview, will you post the link in here, as i think im missing out on some of them and am scouring around looking for them, cheers guys.

Watched the 4th quarter again last night for the 4th time...every time i watch it im getting something different out of it. So many different things could have happened. I do remember screaming at the telly, pleading with Bill to take a timeout to stop the clock when Beastmode made it to the 1yd line.

Lets say the Hawks went over. They'd go for 2 leaving (if successful) the Patriots needing a TD to win. Was it a smart move on Bills behalf to let the clock run down? Was anyone else thinking 'jees give Tom *some* time to work magic if this goes belly up'. I know you'd need the timeouts but i would prefer have time to work with than being able to stop the clock. Anyone else think the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

BKWDR wrote: »
    Lets say the Hawks went over. They'd go for 2 leaving (if successful) the Patriots needing a TD to win. Was it a smart move on Bills behalf to let the clock run down? Was anyone else thinking 'jees give Tom *some* time to work magic if this goes belly up'. I know you'd need the timeouts but i would prefer have time to work with than being able to stop the clock. Anyone else think the same?

Not a hope the Seahawks would have gone for 2. The downside was that a Patriots FG would then win the game if the 2pt try was unsuccessful.

On the point about the timeouts, I have to say that I felt Belichick was mad not to call one. It worked out in the end as it allowed them to run out the clock easier, but I'm not 100% sure of the thought process!

bruschi wrote: »
    This one though, was better for a whole host of reasons. Firstly, it elevated Brady up to the top tier with no arguments at all. The Manning debate is done. There is no comparison. And I wont debate that with anyone anymore. This season showed why. I’ll be straight up and say I never say Montana live and have only seen highlights etc, so it is impossible to make definitive calls like that. The only thing I can go on is their body of work, what was around them, and what they achieved. As a pure black and white exercise, Brady comes out ahead. But either way, this game elevated Brady up another notch, and I am absolutely delighted for him and all that he does for the best team in the world.

I saw Montana win 3 of his 4 Super Bowls and always thought he was the best ever. However, Brady is the closest anyone has ever come to Montana in my book and may even have surpassed him. There is a case to be made for both and I wouldn't argue with either opinion.

I agree 100% that the Brady/Manning debate is over (it was for me long before Sunday anyway) - Titles, play off record, head to head all in Bradys favour (with less weapons to work with). There is just no argument anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Benimar wrote: »
    Not a hope the Seahawks would have gone for 2. The downside was that a Patriots FG would then win the game if the 2pt try was unsuccessful.

My bad on the 2pt attempt. Just ran out of fingers and toes counting wise, my bad :)

actually, another point I left out in my post, this is the youngest ever winning superbowl team at just over 25 years average age. I didnt realise this. Now I know a lot of this is probably made up of the sub package players and those not starting, but even so, there is a lot to still work with. This win shouldnt be seen as a last hurrah for Brady or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭PIORUN

BKWDR wrote: »
    Quick thought, if you watch a particularly good post game video or interview, will you post the link in here, as i think im missing out on some of them and am scouring around looking for them, cheers guys.

Watched the 4th quarter again last night for the 4th time...every time i watch it im getting something different out of it. So many different things could have happened. I do remember screaming at the telly, pleading with Bill to take a timeout to stop the clock when Beastmode made it to the 1yd line.

I was screaming for him to take a timeout too but i'd say Carroll assumed he was going to as well, this might have forced the Seahawks to speed up what they were doing , which turned out to be a stupid pass. If so then the man is an absolute genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,926 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah I'm kinda over winning it already and looking towards next year already. We really do have a big chance to repeat. Offensive line could be improved and we probably need to look at DT too.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah I'm kinda over winning it already and looking towards next year already. We really do have a big chance to repeat. Offensive line could be improved and we probably need to look at DT too.

I'm still going ot enjoy it!

but moving on a bit, you reckon Vince will be back? I have my doubts. I think that could be his signing out. He had a good year, came off a serious injury and a bad contract dispute, I think the ring will be the swansong and enough to satisfy his career. I wont write his obituary yet, but it wouldnt surprise me either unfortunately. His leadership alone is a massive factor.

And speaking of such, Hightower has really stepped up big time. Mayo going on IR was a huge loss, and Hightower picked up the responsibility brilliantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Benimar wrote: »
    I saw Montana win 3 of his 4 Super Bowls and always thought he was the best ever. However, Brady is the closest anyone has ever come to Montana in my book and may even have surpassed him. There is a case to be made for both and I wouldn't argue with either opinion.

I agree 100% that the Brady/Manning debate is over (it was for me long before Sunday anyway) - Titles, play off record, head to head all in Bradys favour (with less weapons to work with). There is just no argument anymore.

Congrats to the Pats - a deserved win.

Brady is better than Manning - and has proven it. I do think that Brady is as good as he is because of BB - I don't think he would have been anywhere near as good playing somewhere else. It was the right fit for all concerned. Manning is/was a top tier QB but there will always be question marks over his inability to produce in the play-offs. I don't expect him to play another season but even if he were to win a SB next year he would do it as a game manager for a team with a good defence and running game.

As for who is the best QB ever - imo that is pretty much a pointless debate. Each top-ranked QB was good for their own reasons and in their own environments. Example - losing with 2 minutes to go I would want Elway under centre before any other QB - game manager to run the offence I would want Joe Montana - a pocket QB I would want Dan Marino - to win SBs (particularly with BB as coach) I would want Brady - to rattle up a 16-0 season I would want Manning - a QB who could kill you by running I would want Steve Young etc.

Example - losing with 2 minutes to go I would want Elway under centre before any other QB - game manager to run the offence I would want Joe Montana - a pocket QB I would want Dan Marino - to win SBs (particularly with BB as coach) I would want Brady - to rattle up a 16-0 season I would want Manning - a QB who could kill you by running I would want Steve Young etc.

Would you not pick the QB that did it? :pac:

Seriously, you have a valid point. Different times and circumstances would dictate which QB you would 'take'.

I suppose what I'm saying is, if I had to take a QB for one full game where a win was essential, I don't think I'd be swayed from Montana or Brady.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement