Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

To be honest if he gets 5-6 million a year id hope the pats would match it and he'd be back in NE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Vereen has lowered his demands from 5M a year to 3.5M a year it seems. Pats still not willing to pay that apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Big Vince has tweeted his option for next year will not be picked up. Sad news hopefully we will be able to come to some deal with him but if not he is a Pats legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Vereen has lowered his demands from 5M a year to 3.5M a year it seems. Pats still not willing to pay that apparently.
    If that's true, it doesn't seem a high figure.
    But, if Bill believes that White (cap hit of just $610k for 2015 and $700k in 2016) will be ready to step up, then there's a savings to be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Very sad news. A Patriot legend who will have number 75 hanging from the top of Foxboro someday. The defense will look a lot different without him plugging up the middle. Not just a good player but a great leader and personality.

There is a slim chance he will be back but I wouldn't bank on it.

My favorite Vince moment, it was such a game changer and a special moment (not to mention I was at that game too):

Thanks Vince.

• Advertisement

Here is a collection of Vince gifs that will make you sad and possibly break your internet connection (sorry Corvus):

wilfork-hit-9-30-121.gif

wilfork.gif

FATMANINTERCEPTION.gif

WILFORK-DANCING.gif

vince-wilfork.gif?w=600&h=338

vince-wilfork-int-slow-o.gif

WILFORK-DRAGON.gif

1865f6xuc7wtugif.gif

WILF.gif

vince-wilfork-grilling-o.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

All I can say is that I am sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,927 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hopefully the Patriots will match whatever he is offered and he is back with us.

Love big Vince so much, a true legend and a great attitude. I want him to stay in New England not go off somewhere else and come back and retire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,927 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

JCTO wrote: »
    All I can say is that I am sad
    Exactly my thoughts when I first heard the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Sad day for Pats fans everywhere but something we all knew was coming really.

Thanks for everything big man and good luck wherever you go, Vince will always be a Patriot.

• Advertisement

Vereen never demanded 5 a year.

3.5 is a fair figure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Didn't we let Troy Brown walk, only for him to re-sign and stay for 2 more years? Hopefully it's a similar story here. Have to say though, something fitting about Vince bookending his Pats career with Super Bowl wins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Didn't we let Troy Brown walk, only for him to re-sign and stay for 2 more years? Hopefully it's a similar story here. Have to say though, something fitting about Vince bookending his Pats career with Super Bowl wins.

True, and hopefully the same happens again. However I think there is a big difference in quality and the demand of both players.

Exactly, Vince can certainly be a big asset to plenty of teams and he will have no trouble getting picked up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I think most of us sensed what was coming for Vince, but it still doesn't lessen the sadness of it all. Vince was a great player, a great leader and a great patriot. Nobody understands the business of the game better than him and he responded to the front office decision with total class and dignity. He will always be regarded as one of our all time greats. Pats royalty if there ever was one and he will walk into our HOF. Thank you Vince for being our giant on the field, your shoes will be hard to fill.:(

Some rumours abound that we want to bring in Brian Hartline, and that he'd take less money from us than other teams because he wants to play with Brady.

I imagine there's just some sort of Bat Signal at Foxboro that lights up and sounds an alarm every time a white wide receiver becomes a free agent in the NFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I imagine there's just some sort of Bat Signal at Foxboro that lights up and sounds an alarm every time a white wide receiver becomes a free agent in the NFL.

??
    The only white wide receiver free agent I can remember us picking up was Welker...

I'd expect more of a bat signal when someone hits the market who's willing to do a deal to play with Brady.

BizzyC wrote: »
    ??
    The only white wide receiver free agent I can remember us picking up was Welker...

I'd expect more of a bat signal when someone hits the market who's willing to do a deal to play with Brady.

Wasn't Amendola a FA when we got him also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Sad to see Vince leave the Pats. It's rare that a non-QB becomes such a key figure for a team and a favourite with fans. I don't see anyway that he goes back to NE though, far too much demand for a player like him. I just hope for Pats fans he doesn't end up in the division!

BizzyC wrote: »
    ??

Danny Amendola
    Austin Collie
    Edelman was also technically a free agent

Of course it just a joke relating to our penchant for white wide receivers, don't let it get you down :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

All this talk of us going after white WR's, probably means this guy will be showing up outside the Kraft family home.....

8h9qpC.jpg

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Sad to see big Vince go :(. As a fan, these are always the moments you hope never come.

This coming Tuesday Revis, McCourty and Wilfork will most likely be free agents, that will be tough to stomach.

Way I see it going is that we keep Revis and let Vince and Devin go.

I think the way the Bills and Jets are building we have to keep Revis. Brandon Marshall in the AFC East now.

Keeping Revis is a no brainer for me, but as I have said already re signing Devin is almost as important imo. I am hopeful if he does hit FA he will see whats around, come back to New England and say, "ok I have been offered x and x and would be willing to stay here for x" I would really hope a deal can be done then but I still have no idea how it was allowed come to this and he was not just tagged if there is nothing in place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Devin was tweeting earlier (i actually think its Mama McCourty that tweets from their joint account) that he's humbled so many people want him to play for their team.

I think he's gone

Devin was tweeting earlier (i actually think its Mama McCourty that tweets from their joint account) that he's humbled so many people want him to play for their team.

I think he's gone

I think so too, there's so much demand for a player like McCourty that it'll be very difficult to turn down the money that will be on offer. I think that he'll be tempted to stay with the Pats for the ability to win more Superbowls but how often do you legitimately see players turn down the big money for the chance of titles? Especially when Devin hasn't been paid the big bucks yet in his career.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

frostie500 wrote: »
    I think so too, there's so much demand for a player like McCourty that it'll be very difficult to turn down the money that will be on offer. I think that he'll be tempted to stay with the Pats for the ability to win more Superbowls but how often do you legitimately see players turn down the big money for the chance of titles? Especially when Devin hasn't been paid the big bucks yet in his career.

yeah agree, i think he's likely to get a 5 year 9/10 million million a year deal. He's not going to turn that down tbh.

Jason got a 6 years 44 million deal and will likely see out all bar the final year.
    Dev will want some of that

• Advertisement

yeah agree, i think he's likely to get a 5 year 9/10 million million a year deal. He's not going to turn that down tbh.

Jason got a 6 years 44 million deal and will likely see out all bar the final year.
    Dev will want some of that

Yeah you'd imagine that he'll be taking the Jairus Byrd deal from last year as his floor and looking for something in the region of 45-50 over five years

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement