Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

I really like McCourty. But one thing to remember is that he is a converted CB to Safety. I honestly think we will be able to replace him better than we would Revis. If we can't pony up for both we have to do the right thing and keep Revis. Easier to find better safeties at McCourty's level than it would be to find a world class CB at Revis level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Do you have anyone in mind for the safety position? I dont see anyone in FA or the draft coming in and playing to that level anyway. Someone in house? Or someone you see in the draft class?

kryogen wrote: »
    Do you have anyone in mind for the safety position? I dont see anyone in FA or the draft coming in and playing to that level anyway. Someone in house? Or someone you see in the draft class?

Here is a full list. To be honest I haven't had a good look at the Free Agents.

Here is the Top FA out of contracts this year:

Antrel Rolle S 32 NYG TBD $9,250,000 UFA
    Tyvon Branch S 28 OAK TBD $7,157,000 UFA
    Devin McCourty S 27 NE TBD $5,115,000 UFA
    Louis Delmas S 27 MIA TBD $3,500,000 UFA
    Nate Allen S 27 PHI TBD $3,000,000 UFA
    Stevie Brown S 27 NYG TBD $2,750,000 UFA
    Bernard Pollard S 30 TEN TBD $2,675,000 UFA
    George Wilson S 33 TEN TBD $2,300,000 UFA
    Dawan Landry S 32 NYJ TBD $1,825,000 UFA
    Christopher Conte S 26 CHI TBD $1,564,400 UFA
    Da'Norris Searcy S 26 BUF TBD $1,552,106 UFA
    Jeron Johnson S 26 SEA TBD $1,453,125 UFA
    Jimmy Wilson S 28 MIA TBD $1,442,475 UFA
    Rahim Moore S 25 DEN TBD $1,415,313 UFA
    Sergio Brown S 26 IND TBD $1,400,000 UFA
    Thomas DeCoud S 28 CAR TBD $1,353,750 UFA
    Darian Stewart S 26 BAL TBD $1,300,000 UFA
    Marcus Gilchrist S 26 SD TBD $1,258,600 UFA
    Quintin Demps S 29 NYG TBD $1,000,000 UFA
    Brandon Meriweather S 31 WAS TBD $899,411 UFA
    Taylor Mays S 27 CIN TBD $795,000 UFA
    Quinton Carter S 26 DEN TBD $758,750 UFA
    Isa Abdul-Quddus S 26 DET TBD $695,000 UFA
    Ron Parker S 27 KC TBD $645,000 UFA
    Colt Anderson S 29 IND TBD $635,000 UFA
    Jeromy Miles S 27 BAL TBD $635,000 UFA
    Kendrick Lewis S 28 HOU TBD $635,000 UFA
    Ryan Clark S 35 PIT TBD $635,000 UFA
    Will Allen S 32 PIT TBD $635,000 UFA
    Mike Adams S 33 IND TBD $635,000 UFA
    Danny McCray S 26 CHI TBD $630,938 UFA
    Dwight Lowery S 29 ATL TBD $600,000 UFA
    Sean Richardson S 25 GB TBD $571,667 RFA
    Robert Golden S 24 PIT TBD $571,667 RFA

When it comes to the draft there is some good Safeties in there who could possibly drop to the 2nd and 3rd round. Collins Bama and Holliman Louisville being the 2 top ranked. Both project 1-3 or 2-4 respectively. There are a few others. Besides that I am sure Bill will work his magic to find someone.

I just feel Revis is a more pressing need than McCourty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

JCTO wrote: »
    I just feel Revis is a more pressing need than McCourty.

Most certainly, Revis is one of the top five defensive players in the game. McCourty is a very good player, one of the best at his position, but players like Revis are the ultimate players that you have to gameplan against...McCourty isn't that type of player. You have to focus on keeping the most important player and that means that getting Revis onto a sustainable long term deal is key but cutting Vince at least gives some leeway in being able to keep both

• Advertisement

Reports coming out of Foxboro we declined Revis optionl. Looks like he will be entering the FA if we don't come to a negotiation. Apparently still working on a deal but who knows if he will accept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Jason Cole reporting he expects a long term deal to be with Revis on Monday or Tuesday. Don't know how reliable he is but here's hoping

Im hoping to hear about a 4 year deal for Revis before the beginning of FA, I think 4 year 16mil a year is a possibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

frostie500 wrote: »
    I think so too, there's so much demand for a player like McCourty that it'll be very difficult to turn down the money that will be on offer. I think that he'll be tempted to stay with the Pats for the ability to win more Superbowls but how often do you legitimately see players turn down the big money for the chance of titles? Especially when Devin hasn't been paid the big bucks yet in his career.

McCourty is the top safety out there right now and a pretty crap draft for Safetys makes his appeal even stronger. I said a few weeks back that I think the Pats will offer him around $40-42 million over 5 years and I think Jason will be happy with that. He loves the Pats and is a great defensive leader on and off the field. But with the poor Safety market, other teams will undoubtedly offer more than us, so it's squeaky bum time. That said, losing McCourty wouldn't carry the same impact as losing Revis.
    Im hoping to hear about a 4 year deal for Revis before the beginning of FA, I think 4 year 16mil a year is a possibility

I speculated that us offering him a 4 year $68 million deal. With $16 million a year plus that $4 million bonus we owe him thrown in, should hopefully be an attractive enough offer for him. But if it comes down to an either or decision for McCourty and Revis. Then Revis has to get the nod.

Anyone think we could look at Moore if McCourty is going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Always seemed unlikely that we could keep both Revis and McCourty. At first I thought it would be McCourty staying but looks more like Revis now. I think Bill always feels he can replace safeties easier than he can quality CB's like Revis.

Really need to keep at least one of them. Nightmare scenario is both leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Vereen never demanded 5 a year.

3.5 is a fair figure

Just passing on what the reporters report. Have to take it up with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

To be fair, Vereen did come out and rubbish those 5m reports.

Just passing on what the reporters report. Have to take it up with them.

Vereen himself rubbished the reports

I hope I am wrong but I have a feeling we are going to lose Revis and McCourty. I have a feeling Revis will get a better contract elsewhere and the money will sway him. Although not a free agent and we are not taking the 2nd year option so lets face it we give him a figure in the ball park or close to it to keep him or lose him to someone who will pay him.

Read articles this morning not that I believe them as the media have been way off but McCourty is looking for a large contract and there is no way we are going to pay him it. 9m-12m is the range been thrown about for McCourty.

Bring back Big Vince I say :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

With all the moves made by the other 3, the AFC East is going to be a lot more competetive this year, especially if we lose Revis and McCourty!

McCourty leaving wouldn't shock me, because they might think Harmon can do a solid job and save them a few million in the process. But Revis going would be a big shock. The Vince move frees up about $7.5 million against the cap. Mayo will have to restructure, but becasue of his injured status we won't be able to touch that until later in the season. But we should be able to free up another $4-5 million there eventually and more if he's cut. Hightower's injury recovery is going to be be a long & slow process and that complicates things slightly. But I think Mayo will be happy to play ball and I expect him to restructure. I also think Amendola will have to restructure or be cut, because his cap hit is just too high in 2015 for a guy that's essentially a back up to Edelman. The cap space can easily be created to keep McCourty & Revis and even Vereen. But whether they want to keep them all is another question. My bottom line is Revis, the money is there to pay him so losing him would be unforgivable.

McCourty leaving wouldn't shock me, because they might think Harmon can do a solid job and save them a few million in the process. But Revis going would be a big shock. The Vince move frees up about $7.5 million against the cap. Mayo will have to restructure, but becasue of his injured status we won't be able to touch that until later in the season. But we should be able to free up another $4-5 million there eventually and more if he's cut. Hightower's injury recovery is going to be be a long & slow process and that complicates things slightly. But I think Mayo will be happy to play ball and I expect him to restructure. I also think Amendola will have to restructure or be cut, because his cap hit is just too high in 2015 for a guy that's essentially a back up to Edelman. The cap space can easily be created to keep McCourty & Revis and even Vereen. But whether they want to keep them all is another question. My bottom line is Revis, the money is there to pay him so losing him would be unforgivable.

My biggest fear is though we will pony up for Revis but it wont be enough because someone else will come in with a bigger offer. I have a feeling this will test whether Revis wants more money or if he is happy to take an offer from the Pats close to his Ball park figure.

JCTO wrote: »
    My biggest fear is though we will pony up for Revis but it wont be enough because someone else will come in with a bigger offer. I have a feeling this will test whether Revis wants more money or if he is happy to take an offer from the Pats close to his Ball park figure.

If he wants the most money then we've no chance of keeping him imo and I think $16 million is as high as we'll go. The plus side for us is, Revis loved being a Pat and had the utmost respect & admiration for Bill & Pats set up. The intensity and high standards surprised him, but it all boils down to whether he wants to win trophies or just line his pockets. I've a feeling he wants to stay a Pat and I think he'll be happy with $16 million of year, because it shows him the proper amount of respect. There's no player like him in the league for keeping his cards close to his chest at contract & FA time. So it will be serious squeaky bum time for us fans over the next couple of days.

McCourty five-year, $47.5 million deal 28 guaranteed give or take. Be interesting to see how that breaks down on the cap and what happens Revis. Apparently he turned down more to stay with Pats. Looks like I could be wrong especially if we keep Revis and that will make me happy all over and inside.

• Advertisement

Absolutely wonderful news. Seriously thought Giants and Eagles would offer him way too much for him to turn down. Huge credit D-Mac you said you loved New England and you proved it. We're onto Revis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Fantastic news, seriously happy with that.

Get Revis signed up now and I'll be over the moon, whatever happens with Vereen and Mayo.

Of the bigger guys that is 1 down and 1 to go :) Thrilled with the news, second best thing I could have woken to in the morning!

Get Revis tied up now and hopefully Vereen, I am sure Mayo will re-structure his deal so see him staying, and I will be delighted with our FA regardless of anything else.

ESPN report that he is going to be the second highest paid safety in the NFL @ 9.5m a year, must have been a strong market for him with those figures

Yeah apparently he called Belichick to thank him for the last 5 years as he was going to accept another teams offer but Belichick came through with the offer he wanted at the last second

Delighted to see McCourty staying but the deal is a bit richer than I thought it would be. I thought $8.5 million would be as high as we would go, so the $9.5 million is a surprise. Dying to see the details of the contract and to see if it is back loaded. This will also be good for a Revis deal, Revis stated multiple times he loves playing with McCourty and he seems to really respects his intelligence & smarts. So McCourty staying a Patriot, will hopefully be a another reason for Revis to stay.
    paulie21 wrote: »
    Seriously thought Giants and Eagles would offer him way too much for him to turn down.

There's no reason to think they didn't offer more. If we offered McCourty $9.5 million a year, then it's very likely the Eagles & Giants were going to offer more. And for us to go higher than anticipated, would suggest other teams were ready to start a bidding war. McCourty said he had a benchmark figure in his head and when we offered it he was happy. If we didn't offer it, he would have likely followed the big money elsewhere and considering the way the market is shaping up, he couldn't have ended up with a $10 or $10 plus million per year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

The plus side for us is, Revis loved being a Pat and had the utmost respect & admiration for Bill & Pats set up. The intensity and high standards surprised him, but it all boils down to whether he wants to win trophies or just line his pockets. .

Dont mean to sound like a troll or whatever, but Revis loved everything about Rex and New York apart from the amount of money they were willing to give him. the only way himself and Geiger agree to re-sign before Tuesday is if they have confirmation the Pats offer is definitely higher. That's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Ah who am I kidding, cant come in here without having some sort of dig. Heres my favorite McCourty moment

Gets coat, Runs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,927 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Deligted to hear the McCourty news.

I reckon Corvus might be on to something with the backloaded contract suggestion. Fact is Brady is not going to be around forever and its likely our next QB comes with a shiny rookie deal so there has to be a temptation to backload a lot of contracts right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Keeping Revis remains key. It allowed us to play a lot of man coverage, and we saw some really good blitz packages by the LB's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement