Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

phatkev wrote: »
    Dont mean to sound like a troll or whatever, but Revis loved everything about Rex and New York apart from the amount of money they were willing to give him.

That was until he became a Pat. No offense but the Pats aren't the Jets and the standard training & preparation right through to coaching, made a huge impact on Revis. If he wants the best and wants to win, then he'll stay a Pat, if he wants the money then he'll go to the highest bidder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Boston Herald reporting that the Pats are going to let Browner test the market and may cut him loose. Could be making as much room as possible for keeping Revis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Vandango wrote: »
    That was until he became a Pat. No offense but the Pats aren't the Jets and the standard training & preparation right through to coaching, made a huge impact on Revis. If he wants the best and wants to win, then he'll stay a Pat, if he wants the money then he'll go to the highest bidder.

Revis is a shrewd businessman, I honestly think he goes wherever he gets the most money. However if its true that they're willing to let Browner walk it would suggest theres something sorted with Revis.

Does anyone hear know the date for the Revis option is, i thought it was today but now I'm hearing its tomorrow afternoon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

phatkev wrote: »
    Revis is a shrewd businessman, I honestly think he goes wherever he gets the most money. However if its true that they're willing to let Browner walk it would suggest theres something sorted with Revis.

Does anyone hear know the date for the Revis option is, i thought it was today but now I'm hearing its tomorrow afternoon?

It's tomorrow. Has always been the 10th March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

If we don't sign Revis and cut him tomorrow...he counts $5m of dead money towards the salary cap for 2015...it would be a disaster as that $5m would pay for Browner and we could end up losing both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Boston Herald reporting that the Pats are going to let Browner test the market and may cut him loose.

That's a joke, Browner is essentially our number 2 CB. His cap hit for next season is $5.5 million and that's pretty good for a number 2 CB. It makes no sense to risk losing him. He brings a size and physicality to our secondary which I like. He can easily jam bigger WR's and I think he's a good weapon to have around. Letting him test the market is nonsensical imo and risks losing him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Pats not picking up the Revis option and he'll be a FA according to Schefter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Pats not picking up the Revis option and he'll be a FA according to Schefter

That is old news as we planned not to pick up his option. The next thing is if we are going to actually offer him a different contract. Talks are still on going but good to see Schefter is reporting old news to look important.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

JCTO wrote: »
    That is old news as we planned not to pick up his option. The next thing is if we are going to actually offer him a different contract. Talks are still on going but good to see Schefter is reporting old news to look important.

I took it to mean that they wont be offering him anything at all

I doubt that is the case. If so Schefter needs to be clearer with his tweets. Not taking his option is completely different to not offering him anything at all.

• Advertisement

I doubt that is the case. If so Schefter needs to be clearer with his tweets. Not taking his option is completely different to not offering him anything at all.

agree but the fact hes basically said the same thing twice in a few days i get the feeling he's trying to say something else.

However he could also be talking 100% BS between the lines :D

agree but the fact hes basically said the same thing twice in a few days i get the feeling he's trying to say something else.

However he could also be talking 100% BS between the lines :D

Schefter is the king of repeating himself and sprouting old news. I always feel with him he has to keep saying things to make sure he is being heard. I would be very surprised if the Patriots are done discussing with the Revis camp on possible contracts.

Schefter is slowly becoming one of these guys: "Hey hey you over there look at me. Everybody look at me. I have something to say"

If Schefter was trying to say the Pats were done with Revis he could be right. But he should be clearer. My above post stands with him though :D really starting to annoy me with his tweets. A lot of reports on the radio right now saying a Revis deal will either happen today and if not he will be released tomorrow and Pats will move on. I hope Schefter and all of these reports are wrong.

The total Cap hit for Revis in 2015 was going to be $25 million dollars. Taking on the 2nd year option was never a realistic possibility. So lets say we give him a new deal next year for $16-17 milion dollars, then we're saving $8-9 million against Cap. Have no doubt we will be giving Revis a very attractive offer.

Pats are still trying to work a deal with Revis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I am ok with them telling Browner he can gauge his market value but I would not be letting him go cheap, he gives us some very good options and despite all his flags he had a very positive effect on the team. If he could curb the flags he would basically be perfect for his role, he is not a speedster but he is very effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,927 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

kryogen wrote: »
    I am ok with them telling Browner he can gauge his market value but I would not be letting him go cheap, he gives us some very good options and despite all his flags he had a very positive effect on the team. If he could curb the flags he would basically be perfect for his role, he is not a speedster but he is very effective.
    Browner for me is just as important as Revis.

He isn't just as important for me at all. He is a good asset to have, but he is not on the same level as Revis for me.

Why is he just as important to you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

He isn't just as important for me at all. He is a good asset to have, but he is not on the same level as Revis for me.

Why is he just as important to you?

definitely agree. Whilst Browner going would not be great, Revis going would be a disaster. If Revis stays and Browner goes, I wont mind too much. I'd obviously prefer him to stay, but to me he is a middle of the pack No2 CB. His negatives go with positives. I think he is much easier replaced than Revis is, there is no comparison at all to me.

Pats are still trying to work a deal with Revis

After not taking up the year 2 option, we had a 24 hour window to exclusively negotiate with him before other teams can jump. That window expires at 4:00pm EST, or at 9:00pm Irish time. So I hope we can sort things out before a bidding war starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

EST time diff is 4 hours until DST ends this month...so we actually have one less hour than you thought, it's 8pm our time.

I hope we can get something done with Revis...

After not taking up the year 2 option, we had a 24 hour window to exclusively negotiate with him before other teams can jump. That window expires at 4:00pm EST, or at 9:00pm Irish time. So I hope we can sort things out before a bidding war starts.

Yup as I thought. More responding to my earlier comments about Schefters dumb tweet as idiots were saying the Patriots were finished with Revis in response to Schefters post. No one on here but all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Appears Vereen is off to the Giants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

bruschi wrote: »
    definitely agree. Whilst Browner going would not be great, Revis going would be a disaster. If Revis stays and Browner goes, I wont mind too much. I'd obviously prefer him to stay, but to me he is a middle of the pack No2 CB. His negatives go with positives. I think he is much easier replaced than Revis is, there is no comparison at all to me.

Is their any rumblings of potential replacements for Revis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Had a feeling Vereen was on way out. We moved on from Faulk and Woodhead, we'll move on from him too. Would like to see us sign Helu as replacement if possible.

Shame to lose Vereen if he is gone, but nothing to comparison to Revis! 46 minutes till he hits the open market is it?

Any word on Solder? I expect him to restructure or move, Connolly I expect cut (if he hasnt been already)

Shame to lose Vereen if he is gone, but nothing to comparison to Revis! 46 minutes till he hits the open market is it?

Any word on Solder? I expect him to restructure or move, Connolly I expect cut (if he hasnt been already)

Patriots took up the 5th year option on Solder earlier in the year.

Connolly is a FA at 4pm so it would be a bit excessive to cut him 30 minutes before his contract ends :D

:) Apologies, I meant I dont expect him back (Connolly) but got my wires crossed, Solder is gonna count for 7.5 million this year isnt he? Cant see us paying it, he has not played to that level the last year.

Connolly was woeful the past year so I dont expect him back at all.

:) Apologies, I meant I dont expect him back (Connolly) but got my wires crossed, Solder is gonna count for 7.5 million this year isnt he? Cant see us paying it, he has not played to that level the last year.

Connolly was woeful the past year so I dont expect him back at all.

TBH fair $7.5 million is the going rate for a tackle of his caliber. He is the 12 highest paid LT in the league at the moment, i don't like the look of the cheaper alternatives (excluding the obvious players on their rookie deals): http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/left-tackle/

Connolly isn't terrible but probably not worth $4m if we could get him for half that I think thats a good deal.

• Advertisement

Had a feeling Vereen was on way out. We moved on from Faulk and Woodhead, we'll move on from him too. Would like to see us sign Helu as replacement if possible.

Assuming we don't' match the Giants offer and I really doubt we will at this stage, it looks like he's moving on. But when you look at Revis, McCourty and Gostkowski, I think Vereen was the most likely to go and the most replaceable of them all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement