Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Hazys wrote: »
    TBH fair $7.5 million is the going rate for a tackle of his caliber. He is the 12 highest paid LT in the league at the moment, i don't like the look of the cheaper alternatives (excluding the obvious players on their rookie deals): http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/left-tackle/

Connolly isn't terrible but probably not worth $4m if we could get him for half that I think thats a good deal.

Whatever about Solder I would have to disagree with Connolly, he was awful last year, he is 32 and I dont expect him to return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Schefter reporting that the Pats think that Revis is going back to the Jets although they are still talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Just seen a rumour we're close to a 4 year $61 million deal with Revis. Please be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It's squeaky bum time but Revis should at least get back to us to see if we can get close to the Jets offer. Hopefully we will and I would find it totally unforgivable to lose Revis, considering we have the cap space to do the deal.

Depends on the money, if the Jets go balls out and make him an offer he cant refuse then what can we do, as long as we can get to within 2 or 3 million I think he will stay though

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    if the Jets go balls out and make him an offer he cant refuse then what can we do

Just hope he wants to stay with the leagues model franchise and be a winner/contender.

He has always been a very big fan of maximising your earning potential as a player. If they blow us out of the water I think he is gone

I hope he returns, my ass is clenched pretty tight right now anxiously waiting to hear something concrete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I am pretty happy to have Vereen signed to the Giants, I know he caught alot of passes the past 2 years for ye but how is he as a runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Pats have $13.9m cap space right now.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I am pretty happy to have Vereen signed to the Giants, I know he caught alot of passes the past 2 years for ye but how is he as a runner.

Great kid, would have loved to have kept him. As a runner, he does his best running & most damage outside the redzone. More a finesse runner than a power runner, he certainly won't smash it through during short yardage. But he's a great weapon to have as a run & pass option.

• Advertisement

Giants gave him $12 over 3 years.

$4m is a lot for a running back especially one who is not a 3 down back.

Great player in a passing offense to have. I wish him the best on the Giants.

They overpaid alright but good luck to him, a very solid acquisition and only getting better

Amendola has a $5.7 million cap hit right now...how hasn't he been released yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Hazys wrote: »
    Amendola has a $5.7 million cap hit right now...how hasn't he been released yet?

I think they'd have to carry a large chunk of it in dead money, so it would be rather pointless. A restructure is certainly on the cards though

He has about 3.5 or 3.6 million of dead money there. No point in cutting him

Edit: Here were the options on Amendola a few days ago
    The Patriots have four options: (1) cut Amendola before Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. ET, resulting in a $4.8 million cap charge in 2014; (2) cut Amendola after Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. ET with a post-June 1 designation, resulting in a $1.2 million cap charge in 2014 and $3.6 million in 2015, but guaranteeing up to $2 million in base salary if he doesn’t land elsewhere; (3) trade Amendola before June 1, resulting in a $4.8 million cap charge in 2014; or (4) keep Amendola, paying him up to $3.5 million and carrying a $4.543 million cap number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Hmm, some talk that we've inquired about CJ Spiller (via Ian Rapoport) and that there's a "good chance" we sign Harvin (via Rapoport again).

For what it's worth, Rapoport has overtaken Shefter as the gospel when it comes to the NFL, so I don't doubt his sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Harvin... Hmmm

I was shocked when he left the seahawks but he could fit under BB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

We have signed Jonathan Cassilas from ye on a 3 year $10 million deal....... so who is he?

I didnt realise we actually didnt pick up the option on Browner so he is not simply looking for what his value is with the option to trade, he is an UFA!

We may actually lose both corners from the SB win to free agency so.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    We have signed Jonathan Cassilas from ye on a 3 year $10 million deal....... so who is he?

A guy we picked up for very, very little. Overpaid there imo but a handy addition to a roster.

• Advertisement

We've signed Brandon Gibson. 1 year deal, 825k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

We've signed Brandon Gibson. 1 year deal, 825k.

Actually thought he was pretty decent at the Rams and then the Fins paid him over the odds (IIRC).

Inspiring ;)

Jabaal Sheard is also visiting tonight. Now that I would be very happy with.

kryogen wrote: »
    We may actually lose both corners from the SB win to free agency so.

God help us, before Revis & Browner arrived teams were converting 3rd & Longs at will against us and we were very vulnerable against the deep ball. If both now go, then our Secondary becomes weak again and we can most likely forget about silverware for the foreseeable future. It doesn't matter if we signed Marshawn Lynch and Calvin Johnson on Offense, if we cannot defend in a pass happy league, then we won't be repeating our SB victory anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

I honestly don't care who else we sign at this point. And judging by our stupid spending on average players or potential spending it doesn't give me any confidence we will bring back those players who helped us win a bowl.

Most frustrating thing is we finally fix our main problem to then a season later after winning a bowl struggle to keep people around and then end back up at square 1.

Having Devin back is all well and good but now our corners are going to be lacking once again.

Fook off with your Brandon Gibsons and Percy Harvins and CJ Spillers of this world. You got to make it happen and pony up and bring back Revis. Just watch the Jets/Bills/Browns pay Revis 5m more guaranteed than we were willing to pay him and maybe a Mil more a year.

JCTO wrote: »
    Most frustrating thing is we finally fix our main problem to then a season later after winning a bowl struggle to keep people around and then end back up at square 1.

Last year was one of the best FA periods I could remember, because we finally went out and addressed our biggest weakness - the secondary. Brady can only do what he does on the offensive side of the ball, but you need a defense to win Championships. So it was no coincidence last year when we finally sorted our main defensive weakness, we ended up as SB champs. How can a front office address a major weakness one year and then create the same weakness the following year? Assuming it does happen and we lose our key defensive players in FA, the stupidity of it all would really blow your mind.

Revis has gone to the Jets according to his agent. He followed the money as he usually has.
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 51s52 seconds ago

Darrelle Revis was asking teams for $40 million guaranteed. Jets' deal expected to top that. North of $40M guaranteed.

Boy the Jets, Bills and Dolphins have spent big in free agency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Balls

• Advertisement

Well it was nice to have a good secondary for one season at least.
    Current cornerback snapshot on Patriots' roster:
    Kyle Arrington
    Logan Ryan
    Malcolm Butler
    Alfonzo Dennard
    Dax Swanson
    Justin Green

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement