Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Earlier, his team was reported to be looking for 3yrs & $48 with $40 million guaranteed. I thought it was just the usual FA nonsense, but it looks like the reports were now true and the Jets may have even paid more. Crazy guaranteed money for a guy who will be 30 when the season starts. It will be interesting to see the contract details, but as Utopia said, it looks like he's followed the money once again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Crazy money alright for a 30 year old CB, makes the loss of Revis a little easier.

Revis is all about the money, it was never about winning. He used the year at the Patriots to get himself the best deal possible this year, winning the Super Bowl was just a nice add on. TBH can't hate him for that.

But I will be pissed if he just strung the Patriots along and cost us Browner too.

"Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." :pac:

After losing Talib last season it was a master stroke to sign Revis as his replacement for the same price. He was phenomenal for us last season and helped win a Super Bowl. I'd do that deal all over again if i had the chance. Revis will never win a Super Bowl again during the rest of his career but the Patriots might.

A couple of little nuggets to easy the pain:

@patscap
    If Pats do not sign as many UFAs as they will lose (3 so far), the 3rd round pick for Revis should be the 98th pick in the 2016 draft

@Rodney_Harrison
    Fans understand the big pic bb continues to set pats up for long term success cant overspend on everything short term

@jeffphowe
    I heard from well-connected source who wasn't part of Revis-Pats talks that Pats dropped out ystrday, allowed NYJ to bid against themselves.

That would be hilarious if true, the Jets ran up the price themselves

@greggrosenthal
    Revis was seeking $16 million-per-year from Jets in 2013. Traded. What’s he making in first 3 years of this deal? $16 million-per-year.

Now he's just older and won a Super Bowl ring with you arch rivals because you thought that contract was too rich then, now its ok because why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Hazys wrote: »
    "Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." :pac:

After losing Talib last season it was a master stroke to sign Revis as his replacement for the same price. He was phenomenal for us last season and helped win a Super Bowl. I'd do that deal all over again if i had the chance. Revis will never win a Super Bowl again during the rest of his career but the Patriots might.

Exactly, pity Revis chose money over a legacy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Hard to feel annoyed when you see the numbers, but our defence has taken a huge step back now and is a big concern.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

It's ok lads.. Colin McCarthy is visiting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Given the money involved, it's no surprise to see us withdraw.

Still make us favs for the division with TB12. Remember back to '13 when we didn't have the defence or the offense of '14, and we still made the AFC Champ game.

Disappointed to lose Revis, it's a huge loss to the secondary. But he's gone, so we move on. I have no doubt that the Pats have a plan B in place; that's what they've been doing for 15yrs.

The consolation? I do think that Revis made us a much better defence, and that made a difference throughout the season. But come the playoffs, it was the offence that won us those games, it wasn't the D that kept the score below 15pts to help us edge a win.

The big concern now is if Browner walks, we really can't go into the season with that secondary. There is no one left in FA - not that there was anyone good to start with - and little to nothing of note in the draft. So unless we make an unlikely trade for someone, we'll be going into the season with a terrible cornerback rotation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

But I will be pissed if he just strung the Patriots along and cost us Browner too.

I think it was Albert Breer that made the point, Browner was brought in to compliment Revis. Without Revis, Browner isn't as effective.

I certainly won't miss those yellow flags.......
    Disappointed to lose Revis, it's a huge loss to the secondary. But he's gone, so we move on. I have no doubt that the Pats have a plan B in place; that's what they've been doing for 15yrs.

I'll be interested to see what that is. The draft seems to be poor enough at CB, and not much left in FA. Maybe we'll bulk up the pass rush?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Losing Revis is some pain in the hole but he stayed true to form I suppose and you can hardly be pissed at someone for being who they are when you knew about it all along :)

Worried about the secondary big time now :( We saw the difference having a good one made last year and I am disappointed it got to this

infacteh wrote: »
    I'll be interested to see what that is. The draft seems to be poor enough at CB, and not much left in FA. Maybe we'll bulk up the pass rush?
    I'm sure that they have a plan B. The question is, will it work out! :)
    I doubt that anyone has forgotten the secondary issues we'd seen in previous years. If plan B is Ryan/Dennard/Butler/Arrington, then plan B will suck :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

The big concern now is if Browner walks, we really can't go into the season with that secondary. There is no one left in FA - not that there was anyone good to start with - and little to nothing of note in the draft. So unless we make an unlikely trade for someone, we'll be going into the season with a terrible cornerback rotation.

Losing Revis is a major blow. If you were to forget about the money and also use a soccer analogy it reminds when Man Utd sold Jaap Stam in 2001. He was also 29 and one of the best Centre Backs ("Cornerback") in the World ("NFL"). They didnt replace him with a player of his caliber, and won only 1 league ("AFC") in 4 seasons and never even challenged in the European Cup ("Super Bowl").
    That only changed when they signed a proper "Cornerback" - Nemanja Vidic and Man Utd won another 5 AFC Championships, and made 2 Super Bowls, winning 1, over 8 seasons.
    Alex Ferguson better get his head together and sign a proper replacement at Centre Back for the Patriots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Whats our cap situation like now?

We save money on revis, wilfork, and browner by not picking up there options.

Going to try and throw some positives out.

With patrick willis gone we have the top LB core in the nfl.

We have the best qb in the game.

We have a recueving corps that will build more cohesion this offseason.

Tim Wright will become a top move TE with an off season under his belt.

Keep the spirits up. We made alot of late moves last season that paid off. This year will be the same.

We can have the best offence in the world, without a good secondary in such a pass heavy league we will win not compete realistically for rings, which is what the target should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Now he's just older and won a Super Bowl ring with you arch rivals because you thought that contract was too rich then, now its ok because why?

Change in GM would be the first reason, idzik did not want to shell out that sort of cash. Jets were in a pretty dire situation when it came to cap numbers in 2013 and Woody Johnson released that having Marcus Williams and Darrin Walls starting and CB was not going to work

empacher wrote: »
    Whats our cap situation like now?
    About 13-14m under.
    I think we started about 4m-5m over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Saw that Tyms was released, was hoping to see more from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

I honestly don't know what to say anymore on the issue. The more I look at the more I see that Revis is a c*nt to be honest. Do I blame him for taking the money and running. My brain says no but my heart says yes. Personally I would have stayed I am all about staying with the team who gets me to my full ability and wins at the same time. But hey to each their own.

I would like to see Browner back but discussing it with a few friends yesterday we had the same thinking as some of the pundits. Is Browner going to be that effective without Revis? I dont think so to be honest. What he offers is the physical guy that compliments the shutdown guy. Without a proper shutdown guy he is just another strong CB who will give up free yards.

My day ended sh1t yesterday also. Was furious over losing Revis and then on my way home from work at 11pm last night my car died on the highway in the overtaking lane. Made it to the breakdown lane safely but fook me it was hairy.

empacher wrote: »
    Going to try and throw some positives out.

Well here's a big one - we just won a Superbowl with Revis helping us shore up a very weak Secondary. And he only cost us $12 million last season while doing so. If you had of asked any Pats fan this time last last year, would you like a 4th Superbowl win with Revis helping out for just 1 year? I think you would have had a resounding yes. Revis followed the money, he went home, the same home that pushed him out to Tampa and wouldn't pay him a couple of years ago. It looks like McCourty turned down a higher bid to stay a Patriot and that's because he has Patriot blood flowing through his veins. But we always knew we could lose Revis through the highest bidder and we did. He's the ultimate mercenary who certainly knows how to milk the system and boy did he milk the Jets last night.

Lets us also not look at it through rose tinted glasses, Revis had his bad moments last year. Getting completely burned by Jordy Nelson is etched in my memory. Then he was impeded by the Ref when giving up the SB TD. A player of his ability & intelligence shouldn't have allowed it to happen. And let's not forget, only for Brady & Malcolm Butler, that could have been the game winning TD.

Speaking of Malcolm Butler, the kid was a star since last preseason. I couldn't take my eyes of him in the Eagles game. The team call him 'Scrappy' because he's in on every play ball hawking. And there he was making the play to win the Superbowl. The biggest play in Football on the biggest stage in Football. This after he just made a great play on Kearse, who then ends up making a fluky catch. That would derail a lot of players mentally, but not young Butler.

Butler was píssed, but his head didn't drop and he didn't lose focus. He gave up a similar TD days earlier in practice against Boyce. Belichick told him he had to do better next time and boy did he do his job. Yes we all know Butler became a star in the SB, but I think he can now go on and seize the starting job. Imo, if Butler can handle the pressure of the Superbowl, then I think he can become a permanent starter. If you look back at his play during the Superbowl, his coverage was brilliant, he made a bunch of very good plays that seems to have been lost in the final play that he made. I think he's ballsy kid who rises to the challenge and if we bring Browner back. Then the drop off in losing Revis mightn't be as bad as we fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Butler was a noticeable upgrade on Arrington during the SB, I'm hoping he doesn't turn into another Ryan who flashes some potential and then settles back to an inconsistent level.

From a FA point of view, there's no one out there I see as being a major help, I'm just hoping we take our cap space and make some moves in the draft to bring in some real talent at CB,LB,OL and DL

Our biggest problem now is that we have neither an effective pass-rush nor an effective secondary, McCourty aside. A good former can mask some weaknesses in the latter and vice versa, but having both below average is really going to hurt us.

Hopefully Easley pushes on this year, and now I definitely want to see us prioritise someone who can rush the QB alongside the OL depth we need.

BizzyC wrote: »
    Butler was a noticeable upgrade on Arrington during the SB, I'm hoping he doesn't turn into another Ryan who flashes some potential and then settles back to an inconsistent level.

In fairness to Arrignton, he plays well in the slot. The TD he gave up was a clear mismatch against a 6'5" WR and you could see the score coming. That's one of the reasons I want Browner back, his size and physicality was sorely missed on that play. While Logan Ryan played well in his rookie year, he never caught the eye the way Butler did. We have a worrying pattern of secondary players regressing in their second year alright. But my gut tells me Butler can break the mould.

Tyms re-signed

Hard to blame Revis. Imagine how tempted you would be by a job that pays more and offers an extra month's holidays.

Hard to blame Revis. Imagine how tempted you would be by a job that pays more and offers an extra month's holidays.

Yup I agree and as I said above my head thinks made the right move money wise but my heart doesn't. Still a c*nt though for messing with all our emotions :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dh1985

JCTO wrote: »
    Yup I agree and as I said above my head thinks made the right move money wise but my heart doesn't. Still a c*nt though for messing with all our emotions :D

I actually think revis was right to look after himself. Teams show players no loyalty so why should players show any back.

JCTO wrote: »

I hope he grows a huge infected boil on his arse and is unable to sleep or sit down with it. Hopefully then in his exhausted state, the Jets will have to put him onto IR for next year.

May not have been Big Vince last year in New England, interesting to see how this will play out

Assuming he is just talking up possibilities to get the best deal possible for himself, but still.

http://nesn.com/2015/03/reports-vince-wilfork-considering-return-to-patriots-in-free-agency/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

I hope he grows a huge infected boil on his arse and is unable to sleep or sit down with it. Hopefully then in his exhausted state, the Jets will have to put him onto IR for next year.

I'll get working on that Voodoo doll.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement