Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

bruschi wrote: »
    I didnt notice the Akim Ayers deal with St Louis until now, seemed to have got hidden within all the other moves. 2 year $6m deal. Not a huge loss, but still, a noticeable one.

Did we need him tho after signing Jabaal Sheard? $3m a year would have been costly for a 4th choice DE.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Hazys wrote: »
    Did we need him tho after signing Jabaal Sheard? $3m a year would have been costly for a 4th choice DE.

yeah and Mayo too. Probably not needed, and as you say he got a deal better than he would have got at Foxboro, but still, he did make substantial contributions over the season, and is another from the superbowl team that did perform to have left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,927 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

All we can do is hope that Ryan, Butler, Dennard and Arrington improve after the experience of playing with two top CB's for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

eagle eye wrote: »
    All we can do is hope that Ryan, Butler, Dennard and Arrington improve after the experience of playing with two top CB's for a year.

Whatever about Ryan and Butler Dennard and Arrington will never improve. I think they have peaked in their careers. Had so much hope for Dennard but he is just average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Mike Wallace would give us a nice deep threat if he could be picked up cheap

• Advertisement

Scott Chandler signed. Well that takes away that problem twice a year

paulie21 wrote: »

Good signing, good hands and a decent red zone target.

Big guy but whats his blocking like?

Also could make Hooman with a $1.8m cap hit very much expendable.

Mike Wallace would give us a nice deep threat if he could be picked up cheap

Don't like it tbh. All he's got is speed, an attitude and a high price tag. Not worth it and i don't think he's much of an upgrade over LaFell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

4 TE sets?...

Good player and good signing just no clue what this means for Wright.

Tristram wrote: »
    4 TE sets?...

Good player and good signing just no clue what this means for Wright.

Wright is cheap as chips, no reason to get rid of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Harvin gone on a 1 year deal to the Bills. Crazy amount of talent being brought into the AFC East (granted Harvin was at the Jets last season). Feels like an arms race against the Patriots.

Reggie Bush visiting the Pats apparently. Would take over the Vereen role if he signs I imagine.

Bush would be an upgrade on Vereen in my eyes. Would love to have him on board if the price is right

Absolutely agree with JCTO. Got very, very excited when I read the above post about him visiting. If he is healthy he is still an incredibly dynamic back. How much was he making with the Lions and what kind of offer might bring him to New England? He should have made enough by now that the chance of actual success might convince him to take less...

Man, if Chandler + Bush were to both be Pats I think I would start getting excited about our offense.

No offer for Reggie he left Gilllette without any offer

Was reading articles all over the place and came across this by Mayock:

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2015/02/16/mike-mayock-jimmy-garoppolo-would-be-3rd-best-qb-in-2015-nfl-draft/
    When the Patriots selected quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo in the second-round of last year’s draft as the fifth quarterback selected overall, the thought was New England made that pick with an eye for the future — both internally with Tom Brady turning 37 years old during the 2014 season, and also the upcoming quarterbacks in the college game.

It seems both have some merit, as along with Brady’s age, the 2015 NFL draft quarterback class isn’t very strong. NFL Network’s draft insider Mike Mayock shared his thoughts on the quarterbacks in this year’s draft compared to Garoppolo in his annual pre-combine conference call with the media on Monday, which lasted close to two hours.

“He would probably fall, I would say three,” Mayock said. “I think he’s a little more advanced and you have a little more confidence in the fact that he can do what you’re asking him to do over [Bryce] Petty or [Brett] Hundley.”

With Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota the only quarterbacks who would be ranked higher than Garoppolo, it would seem the Patriots made the right call drafting him last year, as the two quarterbacks this season are not suited for the Patriots’ system.

The NFL Network’s draft insider also was asked about Super Bowl star Malcolm Butler and how the undrafted rookie wasn’t even being talked about at this time last year, and then went on to make a play to win the Super Bowl.

Mayock, who has covered the combine for 11 years for NFL Network, said Butler actually caught his eye during the Patriots-Redskins joint practices, but there are always going to be players that slip through the cracks who aren’t being discussed before the draft, especially coming from Division 2 West Alabama.

“My first thought is whenever a player comes out of nowhere, a non-combine guy and becomes a good player, my first thought is what a great job that organization did,” said Mayock. “In this case, it would be New England. My first introduction to him came this summer when I went down to Washington to watch the Patriots and the Redskins practice together for a couple days. I remember walking off the field going who the heck is that kid? And he wasn’t even on my board.

“I came away going, wow, great seat. So I don’t get mad at myself on those kinds of kids, because if I didn’t evaluate them, you know, I get basically a list of draftable kids and I just try to watch tape of as many of the draftable kids as I possibly can. He wasn’t even on any lists.

“So bottom line is great job by New England, impressive kid. His change of direction, his feet were explosive. I saw that in training camp. So it’s just amazing how many different places football players come from these days.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Reggie Bush gone to 49ers. The best pass catching free agent RB left is probably Pierre Thomas.

So Stevie Johnson is visiting the Pats over the next 24 hours. Plus side he can be good and did burn Revis in his time but then there is this:

CAF9HN1WwAAUrlX.jpg:small

Branch back on a 2 year deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Ews97w

• Advertisement

empacher wrote: »
    Ews97w
    Great post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Ews97w

:confused:

Can anyone decipher the above post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,424 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Vandango wrote: »
    Number 97 is declared eligible

Vandango wrote: »

It looks like a broken portion of a youtube link.

I can clear up the mystery for all, was reading the thread in work and didn't lock my phone.

Sorry for any hoping for something fantastic.

I can clear up the mystery for all, was reading the thread in work and didn't lock my phone.

Sorry for any hoping for something fantastic.
    It's just funny that the number 97 was in it. The posts before you posted that were about our no. 97 Alan Branch. :D

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's just funny that the number 97 was in it. The posts before you posted that were about our no. 97 Alan Branch. :D

maybe its breaking news, Alan branch was lost 120 lbs and will now be pushing for the shutdown corner role

DT Tyrunn Walker signed to a 3 year deal. Don't know a whole lot about him tbh

Edit: Sorry read it wrong, turned down 3 year deal to join Lions instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

So big Vince won't be back and I'm actually gutted. Great player and leader he will be missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

So that's that, as we feared, Vince is not coming back :(. I'm glad he's gone to the Texans though, because it'll be almost like a home from home with all the former Pats down there. Here's the statement Bill gave earlier.

"Few players reached or will ever reach the special level of Vince Wilfork. He is a great champion and one of the classiest people I have ever been around -- just a kind, genuine and giving person who was all about our team, football, winning and bringing joy to others. There may have never been anyone at his position with as much strength, toughness, intelligence, instinctiveness and athleticism. He is the best defensive linemen I ever coached, an all-time great Patriot whose place on our team will be missed but whose remarkable career as a Patriot will be remembered forever."
    http://www.patriots.com/news/2015/03/16/statement-bill-belichick-vince-wilfork-0

I thought that was a lovely statement from Bill, he coached a great and his words reflected it. Hopefully now Vince can stay healthy and keep safe for the rest of his career.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement