Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Got to laugh at the Wells report:
    it is more probable than not that Tom Brady (the quarterback for the Patriots) was at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities

In other words we are basing this on hear say without actual evidence. Even the texts between McNally and Jastremski only really indicate the same stuff every low level equipment guy and personnel do for every NFL QB. In other words the NFL can't prove sh1t and are looking for scape goats because they got caught with egg on their face. Such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

It's gonna be a long few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

DecStone wrote: »

Yeah, this pretty much how it will go for the next couple of months till training camp, its only going to get worse.

Luckily for us, Goodell isn't swayed by mob and media rule and will judge the case impartially.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Joke of a report - where exactly is the evidence that Brady asked for the balls to be under-inflated. Everything there can just as easily be interpreted as Brady wanting the balls at the lowest allowable psi, not under it. But conveniently enough for the NFL and Goodell, Wells gives the headline they wanted - the facts don't back up his *more probable than not" spiel.

As the Kraft statement pointed out, scientific evidence backed up the Patriots story - did Wells months-long investigation do any scientific checks of their own? This was a sting in the first place, and a stitch-up now.

FOUR RINGS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,927 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's clear that there is no such thing as an impartial investigation in the NFL. The results of this are just fodder for the media and I think it's well planned by Goodell and co. to come out when the draft is over and there is nothing really happening. Just keeps the NFL in the news for another couple of weeks until training camps get going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I almost hope the NFL imposes a draconian punishment on the Pats, so that they can bring in lawyers and take the NFL to the cleaners. Absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's clear that there is no such thing as an impartial investigation in the NFL. The results of this are just fodder for the media and I think it's well planned by Goodell and co. to come out when the draft is over and there is nothing really happening. Just keeps the NFL in the news for another couple of weeks until training camps get going.

I'm sorry but the idea the NFL would want attention of this nature is the most ludicrous thing I've heard on this story since it broke. This hurts the image of the league and isn't the type of story they wanted to have the week after the NFL Draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Syferus wrote: »
    This hurts the image of the league and isn't the type of story they wanted to have the week after the NFL Draft.
    Are you serious?
    Goodell was booed and heckled repeatedly during the draft and has been mocked for not even pronouncing the name of Marcus Mariota correctly, and you think this wasn't a planned release?
    The attention has now disappeared from Rodger.
    I haven't read the report yet, so I'm not commenting on it's contents, but you can't be naive enough to not understand the perfect time it's been released.

Syferus wrote: »
    I'm sorry but the idea the NFL would want attention of this nature is the most ludicrous thing I've heard on this story since it broke. This hurts the image of the league and isn't the type of story they wanted to have the week after the NFL Draft.

Goodell hurts the image of the league on a daily basis with his inconsistent rulings and nonsense. Owners and fans a like don't like the guy and he will most likely be voted out at the end of his term because he brings negativity to the league every time he opens his mouth.

As for this isn't the story they wanted a week after the draft? They chose to release the findings this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,927 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just a few thoughts,

Firstly if New England win the Superbowl then you can be sure that somebody somewhere is going to say they cheated their way to it.

Secondly, I can see BB using this stuff to wind up his players to go out and win every game just like in 2007. I'd love to see another 16-0 as a response to it.:D

Thirdly, If Tom Brady gets banned for one game I'm gonna go nuts because I'm going to the season opener. I despise Goodell already, I'll hate him if Brady gets a ban. I don't see it happening though because the NFLPA will back Brady all the way.

Finally, we just have to get used of negative press as much as it is annoying. I've decided that I'm out of the discussion on this inflategate stuff from here on. It's just too annoying to read the clueless muck that some people post about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Apologies if already posted but can anyone link me to the actual report. I'd prefer to read it and draw my own conclusions if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Tristram wrote: »
    Apologies if already posted but can anyone link me to the actual report. I'd prefer to read it and draw my own conclusions if possible.

Something for the weekend......

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2015/05/06/0ap3000000491381.pdf

Any updates on Brown signing?

I still feel disgusted by the Wells report and how the NFL have stitched up the Patriots. I'm glad the media after the initial shock of the media is starting to actual analyse the content of the Wells report and seeing all the holes and the completely subjective and biased outcome with zero proof.

Profootballtalk who normal feed the controversies for page views tear apart the "scientific" aspect of the report (not to mention the science firm hired by Wells just to back up whatever he wanted): http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/10/pressure-gauge-discrepancies-undermine-wells-report/
    the justification used to assume that Walt Anderson used before kickoff the gauge that makes tampering more likely doesn’t feel like the outcome of a scientific experiment. It feels like an effort to work backward to justify a predetermined conclusion.

Mike Reiss on the report:
    1. ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter tweeted something Saturday morning that resonated with me; it was advice on journalism and social media form Margaret Sullivan, public editor of the New York Times. Three points I highlighted were: Think more about fairness than objectivity; think about how close you can get to the truth; put yourself in the place of the people who will be affected by your work (that doesn't mean to pull your punches). I think those can apply in more areas than journalism, and in fact, they are three reasons that highlight why I think commissioner Roger Goodell has erred badly from the start with the league's handling of the Patriots and underinflated footballs, making this into a much bigger deal than it is. Over the last three days, I've digested the 243-page Wells report reading it multiple times, and with its bias and lack of fairness in certain areas, I truly can't believe what the commissioner has done to the legacy and reputation of one of the greatest quarterbacks and ambassadors in the history of the game -- all over air pressure in a football and without definitive proof he had anything to do with it.

2. Why do I think this has been made to be a bigger deal than it is? I go back to the Vikings-Panthers game from November, with teams illegally heating footballs on the sideline and simply getting a warning from the NFL, and wonder how we got to this point with the Patriots and underinflated footballs. I go back to the Chargers using an illegal sticky substance on towels in 2012 and getting fined $25,000, and likewise wonder how we got to this point with the Patriots and underinflated footballs. Put the three situations together and only one requires a full-fledged investigation that will cost owners millions of dollars? In the interest of fairness, what am I missing? Add in comments from Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers about his preference for overinflated footballs, and this New York Times story on Eli Manning and his football preparation, and it just seems we've gone off the rails here.

3. I hope my viewpoint on Goodell's poor handling of the situation isn't interpreted as letting the Patriots off the hook. From the moment the story broke, my opinion was that the team should be held accountable if all football air-pressure measurements were done correctly and science wasn't a factor. The Wells report brought to light some important details, as it naturally raises suspicions that locker room attendant Jim McNally, who at one point in 2014 referred to himself as the “deflator” in a text message, took the footballs without consent before the game and had them in a locked bathroom for 1 minute and 40 seconds. That can't happen. If we're focusing on fairness, I think even Patriots followers would acknowledge that action alone leaves the team vulnerable to some level of punishment. But how we got from there to the possibility that Brady himself will be suspended is still hard for me to grasp.

There is so much wrong with the investigation and the NFL actions it has me furious. I highlighted my initial thoughts here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95397637&postcount=613

There is so much wrong and you can keep pointing out holes and unfairness, you could go for hours, adding to the list:

Walt Anderson's relocation of 12.5psi at the start of the game is taken as fact and anything a league employee says is taken as the truth while anything a Patriot person said is suspect. Taking about covering your ass. There two major holes in this. Walt's pregame process and relocation is considered infallible yet he marked one of the K balls incorrectly before the game. The NFL employee's have not fault, yet one of them was caught stealing footballs to sell on the side. Very little mention of this in the report. The league is undeniably perfect in every aspect of the report while the Patriots are not.

As a Pats fan, it's incredibly hard to accept or admit fault as the investigation and NFL are so corrupt. This has just left me as angry.

I don't see any other outcome other than a suspension and a tarnished reputation that will be hang over the Patriots for the rest of their lives. The NFL made this decision a long time ago. I'd love if Kraft and Brady took legal action against the NFL but it seems far fetched.

Sorry, the whole post is a bit rambly and all over the place, to lazy on a Sunday to fix.

The only thing to me that can be construed as a violation is McNally taking the game balls out to the field ahead of the refs. Even this is apparently something that he had done many times before, as confirmed by other stadium staff who were interviewed. Beyond that, there is no evidence to support any wrong doing.

The central assertion that the game balls were under inflated beyond what would occur naturally is not supported by the data that was collected. If that cannot be shown as a definite occurrence, then the rest of the reports suppositions and assumption are totally irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I've always dismissed Mike Florio as a sensationalist, and rightly so at times, but he has taken the complete opposite stance I thought he would take on this whole story, and he has redeemed himself in doing so. He is doing what most other "journalists" seem to be purposefully avoiding - that is, reporting on the FACTS.

This whole fiasco is absolutely fucking disgusting. I guarantee you this report would have been a far cry different had Kraft not (rightfully) demanded an apology. As soon as he said that, the NFL were never going to admit fault. This is character assassination of an organisation and of an individual and I hope Brady and Kraft lawyer up this week and bring this before a courtroom rather than someone paid by one of the parties involved.

I was talking to a lawyer who represents sports players and rich folk. Just so happened to be sitting the next table over at breakfast. I wont name him but he did say IF Tom Brady was his client he would be taking action against the NFL if he gets suspended. Mad thing is he is from the mid west and I honestly thought his opinion would be that of every non Pats fan. He gave me reasons but I was drinking yes you read right drinking so I wont try and repeat the legal terms he used but he said that Wells is really dragging his own name through mud with this investigation as is the NFL.

On another note JE11 cut me off today on the road in the town I live. He and many Pats players don't live too far away but I didn't get angry like I normally do with the regular motorist. How could I it was JE11. When I upload my dashcam footage I am hoping I got it if so will post it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

1 year deal agreed for TE Fred Davis and Kyle Arrington has been released, bit of a surprise really. That's the 3 CBs that started the superbowl gone.

Arrington to be released wtf!??!?

Who needs cornerbacks anyway?

Current CB roster:

Malcolm Butler, Bradley Fletcher, Logan Ryan, Robert McClain, Chimdi Chekwa, Dax Swanson, Justin Green and rookies Darryl Roberts, Jimmy Jean and Eric Patterson.

That is nightmare fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Clearly last season just reminded BB how easy the SB is to win with a balanced roster and so he's gone back to challenging himself to win it all without a secondary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

me89 wrote: »
    1 year deal agreed for TE Fred Davis and Kyle Arrington has been released, bit of a surprise really. That's the 3 CBs that started the superbowl gone.

Bill loves his TE's. Davis was actually a pretty good pass catcher at the Skins before his suspension.

You would have to be a bit concerned about the secondary though.

Bill loves his TE's. Davis was actually a pretty good pass catcher at the Skins before his suspension.

You would have to be a bit concerned about the secondary though.

i think davis was more than pretty good was looking to be one of the best young tight ends in the league before all the injuries. could end up being a monster in that pats offense if he can stay healthy.

whats bill doing with cornerbacks lads i mean I'm sure he can get the likes of fletcher to play better but its legitimately gone from one of the best secondarys in the league to what could end up one of the worst

Great move picking up Davis and I am starting to wonder if Bill and Co have a plan in mind to go after another Trade for a CB

Arrington was 25 in the SB, or was that Logan Ryan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,336 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Brady suspended for the first four games of the season without pay. Jaysus.
    Patriots fined $1 million and Lose their 1st round pick next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Brady suspended for the first four games of the season without pay. Jaysus.
    Patriots fined $1 million and Lose their 1st round pick next year.

I don't think he'll be too worried about the 'without pay' bit. I'm sure Giselle can spot him a few quid if he's stuck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

He'll probably be able to appeal the 4 down to 2 do you reckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,336 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I don't think he'll be too worried about the 'without pay' bit. I'm sure Giselle can spot him a few quid if he's stuck!

Well lads I'm not saying he will be short the price of a sliced pan and a litre of milk in September.

• Advertisement

Bullsh1t. I expect the Pats to fight this including Tom Brady.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement