Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Reports that Jonas Gray will be cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Looks like Reggie Wayne was cut also. He wasn't at the first practice today nor was McClain and Gray. So those are 3 noticeable cuts today. Gray and McClain confirmed but no 100% news about Wayne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Any insight on the Gray cut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I presume gray was cut cos of Lewis performing well. they rarely carry more than 4 RB's, and Bolden is very valuabe for Special Teams.

Apparently Wayne asked to be cut.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Signing Justin Coleman for 1 day and then cutting him means another team has to sign him to their 53 man roster. Basically guarantees him to make it their Practice Squad. Typical Pats.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

infacteh wrote: »
    Typical Pats.....

Not doing anything against the rules and getting shít for it from everyone else? Yup, sounds like us alright!

Reggie Wayne's excuse for wanting to be cut:
    Wayne asked to be released because the “work environment was tough,” and because the situation was “not fun.”

Looks like he didn't want to work on learning the system and honestly if he said it was tough and not fun good riddance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Too old to be trying to learn the playbook really and not the player he was obviously.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Just as I feared, the Wayne move ended up being a complete waste and cost between $400 - 500K in valuable cap space. It was a stupid move to bring him in and we would have been better off bringing back Thompkins.

The Gray cut is a surprise for me. I heard some rumblings on PFW a few months back, that his attitude was behind his benching last season more than anything else. Still, I'm disappointed to lose a power RB like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Gray was the guy that won them a game single-handedly last season, right? Then he got too uppity about it for Belichick's liking and was dropped for 3 or 4 games? I'm not surprised to see a guy like that cut, but I reckon another team with a hole at RB would be delighted to work on his attitude.

• Advertisement

Trojan wrote: »
    Gray was the guy that won them a game single-handedly last season, right? Then he got too uppity about it for Belichick's liking and was dropped for 3 or 4 games? I'm not surprised to see a guy like that cut, but I reckon another team with a hole at RB would be delighted to work on his attitude.

Ya Gray was the lead back when he ran over the Colts during the regular season. He had +200 yards on the ground. But after the Colts game he slept in, was late for practice and was in the dog house since then. I'd imagine a few teams might be interested in landing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Very curious to see where he ends up and if he makes anything of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Just as I feared, the Wayne move ended up being a complete waste and cost between $400 - 500K in valuable cap space. It was a stupid move to bring him in and we would have been better off bringing back Thompkins.

The Gray cut is a surprise for me. I heard some rumblings on PFW a few months back, that his attitude was behind his benching last season more than anything else. Still, I'm disappointed to lose a power RB like him.

I thought I read that the Pats would be able to recoup a lot of that, and also that Wayne would be amenable to returning some of it?

Gray has apparently gone unclaimed on waivers.

There are either some far, far worse character concerns than any of us know about, or that game against the Colts is seen as one of the biggest individual fluke performances in recent NFL history - or more likely, a combination of both. It's stall hard to fathom that no one wants him.

I thought I read that the Pats would be able to recoup a lot of that, and also that Wayne would be amenable to returning some of it?

Just thinking back to what I said earlier, I think you might have a point. I think X amount of money is guaranteed if he made the roster. And since he didn't make it, we mightn't lose as much as I thought.

It was a stupid move to bring him in and we would have been better off bringing back Thompkins.

Thompkins is back on our practise squad now.

With LaFell on PUP and Wayne b1tching out on us we might see him back on the 53 man roster soon.

Be happy enough with that, has sorry to see him get cut last time.

And I'm a happy camper now :).

Him and Brady were forging a nice chemistry back in 2013 before he got gimped. I'm glad he's back and here's hoping for some more of this magic between him and TB12......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

So, finally it's football talk. Focusing back on the team, I think we'll do well to get to back to the SB.

We're significantly weaker at CB. I have hope for Butler, but would have loved if he had another year to play a few snaps with Browner and Revis.
    Linebacker looks good, it'll need to be.
    Replacing Vince could be tough, DE's will get close to 10 sacks and the odd moments of pressure, but the weakness at CB this year could hurt badly.

When we've Gronk, Edelman, Chandler, La Fell, and Amendola on the field; then I expect us to move the ball as usual. Red zone offence looks strong. The only worry I have is running back, where replacing Vereen will be a challenge on 3rd and long.

It's a touger divison this year, so should be interesting. I still expect a 11 or more win season. Playoffs, and then who knows. Would love to see TB lift the SB again this year and stick it to the haters. Defense is going to be a worry all year, so I have my doubts; but hey, it's Bill and Tom (and Gronk), so I know we're in good hands.

• Advertisement

With Revis, Browner, Arrigton and Dennard gone, the secondary has to be the biggest worry. But on a positive note, Brady has gotten us to SB's when we had a crap secondary and we were a bounce of a ball away from winning in 2011. Keeping TB12 healthy as always is the priority and if he has a healthy Gronk & Co to throw to at the business end of the season, then anything is possible.

I'm expecting big things from our front 7 on defense in 2015. Our secondary may return to giving up third & longs, but if the front 7 can step it up they could lessen the damage. Down the road, Hightower, Jones and Collins could be looking at pricey contracts. It's a contract year for Chandler Jones and I can't help but feel disappointed with him so far. Niggling injuries have impaired him but it's that lack of durability which we need to be cautious about spending big money on.

Hightower is also in his contract year and keeping him is a no-brainer for me. He has filled Mayo's boots and led the defense brilliantly the last 2 seasons. Playing through a torn Labrum and making that massive one armed stop on Lynch in the dying seconds of the SB, gives him the kind of toughness and play making ability that is priceless. Collins is a freak and is rising strongly and should be even better than last year. But right now if it was my decision, Jones is the man I have questions marks about.

How is the O-Line shaping up this year? Hate seeing Brady getting tossed around the way he has been the last few years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Gray is visiting with the Titans tomorrow

When we've Gronk, Edelman, Chandler, La Fell, and Amendola on the field; then I expect us to move the ball as usual. Red zone offence looks strong. The only worry I have is running back, where replacing Vereen will be a challenge on 3rd and long.

Offensively is one of my biggest concerns as LaFell is out the first 5 games and is due to return for the Jets game on 10/25. Do we have enough in Gronk, Amendola, Edelman and Chandler to carry our offense. Also who else do we have than can stretch the field for us with LaFell out. All our solid remaining options are inside guys. Dobson Harper and our ST beast Slater are what are left. Dobson still yet to show anything Harper played well in pre-season so hopefully he can step up if given the chance. Slater for me is not a decent WR. We then have Thompkins now on our practice squad will he get called back in and get on the depth chart hopefully.

We still don't know how our backfield will look. Bolden replaces Blount first game which doesn't give me a lot of confidence great special teamer but hit and miss carrying. Blount out game 1 and didn't look great pre-season. White is untested really so we don't know if he can replace Vereen. Cadet didn't see much action and doesn't fill me with any confidence and Lewis looked sharpe in pre-season but hasn't done a lot in his career and really an unknown.

If anything defensively we have a ton of options in that front 7. Bill seems delighted with that also. Our secondary is still a concern and it will interesting to see what Butler can do this year because I have very little faith in Logan Ryan, Brown and Fletcher. The fact we rolled into the 53 man roster with only 4 CBs sums up our options.

JCTO wrote: »
    Do we have enough in Gronk, Amendola, Edelman and Chandler to carry our offense.
    We had Gronk for half a season, Amendola get injured and didn't do much, and Edelman carried the teams while Tompkins/Boyce/Dobson had drops. And went 12:4 (just missing out on the No1 seed in the AFC).

We were 7th for yards per game and 3rd in points per game.

We had Gronk for half a season, Amendola get injured and didn't do much, and Edelman carried the teams while Tompkins/Boyce/Dobson had drops. And went 12:4 (just missing out on the No1 seed in the AFC).

Gronk only missed 3 games last season and Thompkins only played 2 and the difference is though we had LaFell though so Tom had someone other than Edelman and Gronk to throw to when he was back.

JCTO wrote: »
    Gronk only missed 3 games last season and Thompkins only played 2 and the difference is though we had LaFell though so Tom had someone other than Edelman and Gronk to throw to when he was back.
    In 2013 I meant.

We were 7th for yards per game and 3rd in points per game.

And in the 2013 AFC title game loss, Brady ended up having to throw to Slater. The WR corp was that banjaxed. That was the year Brady started the season with his 6 leading targets gone or injured.

In 2013 I meant.

Ah got you that makes more sense I was thinking that is what you meant but wasn't sure.

My overall point is that for me I want to win another Bowl like all you guys do so using 2013 our offense was a mixture of a decent run game with Ridley and Blount and Vereen mixed with at least having Thompkins giving us some sort of stretched field to open up Edelman and Amendola. What is mad we actually had some balance but ultimately the lack of talent on the field reared its head when the Broncos b1tch slapped us in the AFC Championship game. Sure we went 12-4 but the schedule was a tad soft also all of that means nothing when we don't go all the way.

This season we have a backfield we are unsure about. A WR corp with no decent outside WR to stretch the field and a secondary with lets face it just Malcolm Butler and our safeties. Our secondary in 2023 looked better then than it does now with Talib there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

And in the 2013 AFC title game loss, Brady ended up having to throw to Slater. The WR corp was that banjaxed. That was the year Brady started the season with his 6 leading targets gone or injured.

That year Brady showed us why he is so unique. No other QB in the league would have ended up in an AFC title game, with the nightmare loss of targets he had in 2013.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement