Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Looked bad at the time. Would wonder about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

He'll just get injured again. Don't get your hopes up.
    I kinda agree with this. It's minor collisions that are resulting in injures, and that's not a good long term sign.

I'm on the borderline of being done with Chandler Jones. I know the guy has made some plays in his time here, but with a new contract coming, I don't see the consistency or value tying him to a long term deal. Hightower is a much more valuable piece than Jones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Wouldn't write off Jones at all, his best is certainly yet to come and if he stays healthy he is one of the few who has the ability to get into double digits sack wise and make more then his fair share of other big contributions.

I expect him to have a big season provided he stays healthy, the 2013 season where he played in 16 games he had roughly 80 tackles and 11(ish?) sacks.

What is it that makes you so close to being done with him?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I like Jones but I have a strong feeling what we think he's worth is a lot less than what he and his agent thinks he's worth. I'd be shocked if we sign him up.

Every player has a price of course, and its not exactly unusual for a player to walk/be let go over money particularly at the Patriots! If he stays fit and hits big numbers this year I think he will be made a pretty good offer, after that its up to him and his people. He will more then likely have bigger offers on the table if that happens, just don't doubt the guys ability myself is all, wouldn't be writing him off and am curious to know if its just health issues or what would make the other poster be almost done with him at this stage.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

What is it that makes you so close to being done with him?
    I'm still waiting for him to dominate one single game, or play to a consistent level for multiple games.
    He'll make a play and I can see what he could be capable of, but then he'll disappear and maybe show up with a play a game or two down the line.

Sacks can be great. But I think they can be overrated. Brady was sacked twice, but had an excellent game and the OL did very well the vast majority of the time. Opposition QB's, having all day to view the field and make a pass, occurs too often. I'd like to see Jones force some consistent pressure.

As JaMarcus states, when it comes to the contract next off season, I reckon they'll be a huge gap in what we want to pay him and what he'll expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I like Jones but I have a strong feeling what we think he's worth is a lot less than what he and his agent thinks he's worth. I'd be shocked if we sign him up.

Plus we drafted Grissom and Flowers, and picked up Sheard. Given the depth we look to have along the DL I can't see Jones being a Patriot next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I've already giving my views on Jones, but just to weight in on the recent discussion. For me it's a no brainer that Hightower takes priority. Even if Jones records +16 sacks this season. Hightower has been indispensable the last two seasons and was brilliant last year. He has palyed so well the last two years and fitted so comfortably into defensive headset duties, that we didn't really miss Mayo. And so his value to me far exceeds what Jones can bring to the field. I will be very surprised if Jones is still a Patriot this time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,928 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Here is my pregame pic, they had the four Superbowl trophies out on a stage with former players. It was a great celebration of our Superbowl win but this for me was just great to see. This was set up for the national anthem.

2je5j06.jpg

Losses for Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Indy. Good week 1 all in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

ESPN cant help making absolute bell ends of themselves. Apparently the Seahawks are defending Champions.

COz7dZXVEAAiAhF.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Losses for Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Indy. Good week 1 all in.

AFC East looking generally hot though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Bills looked the best out of the East. If Taylor can do the business at QB, they could be a serious challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

JCTO wrote: »
    ESPN cant help making absolute bell ends of themselves. Apparently the Seahawks are defending Champions.

COz7dZXVEAAiAhF.jpg

Defending NFC champs...

AFC East looking generally hot though.
    It was a really impressive win. I'd picked the Colts, thought they might sneak it, but had doubts over their run defense (which will be tested again next week against the Jets).
    Big game for us next week in Buffalo, a win there and I'd be confident we'll be 3:0 after hosting the Jags.

Dez Bryant will miss our game too which is good news.

Bills looked the best out of the East. If Taylor can do the business at QB, they could be a serious challenge.

I always felt the Bills would be our biggest threat in the AFC East and I expected them to win yesterday. A home game against the Pats is their biggest game of the season and the game with the will be very tough. They will want to make a big statement. The good thing about yesterday's result is, not that I thought they would have, but we certainly won't be taking them for granted.

Dez Bryant will miss our game too which is good news.

Our secondary could certainly do with a break like that, especially after last Thursdays performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,146 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

The game is live on sky Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭PIORUN

paulie21 wrote: »
    The game is live on sky Sunday.
    just noticed Sky have Sunday night and Monday night Football this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Great article on BB: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/all-football-bill-belichick-leaves-his-narrative-to-his-friends-and-enemies/2015/09/09/ad68398a-566b-11e5-8bb1-b488d231bba2_story.html

One part which is extremely relevant to what happened this week:
    Belichick prepares for everything. During Super Bowl XLVI, in 2012, the Patriots’ headsets malfunctioned in the second half, leading to harmful miscommunication. And so, in the week leading into last season’s Super Bowl, Belichick stopped practice and shouted for the coaches to drop their headsets.

In a Super Bowl in which we lost, the headsets failed, we don't hear about it till 3 years later. Compare that to how the Steelers and Mike Tomlin acted Thursday, we knew midgame that the headsets weren't working because they couldn't wait to complain about it and make excuses.

This is what BB said earlier in the week about the ESPN article and the whinging of Tomlin, it pretty much sums him up as why he is such a fantastic coach:
    I think overall it's kind of sad, really, to see some things that obviously have an agenda written to them. Writing about warm drinks and trash cans? It's kind of sad. It goes to a pretty low level.

Our program is built on competition and working hard and not built on excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Could have done without the Hernandez footage, but pretty cool vid tho

Big Ben is such a bitter sore losing twat:
    “Whether we were outcoached or outplayed or they had some kind of a leg up, I always felt that they knew some of our offensive plays,” Roethlisberger said (via Pro Football Talk). “For whatever reason. Maybe it was better scouting or whatever. But I had always felt that. But I’m not one to sit and say, ‘Hey,’ you know, to pout about it or talk about it. I just felt that they were –they beat us on that day and maybe I was a rookie and didn’t know any better but I always felt that the knew some of the plays we were calling.”

Hazys wrote: »
    In a Super Bowl in which we lost, the headsets failed, we don't hear about it till 3 years later. Compare that to how the Steelers and Mike Tomlin acted Thursday, we knew midgame that the headsets weren't working because they couldn't wait to complain about it and make excuses.

Feck, I never knew that and something tells me if it was the Giants headsets that failed and they lost the SB. We'd be still hearing about it 10 years from now.

And still on the headset issue, as normal, they were issues and failures at several stadiums across the league.....

“There were several communications issues yesterday as normal,” a league spokesman told PFT on Monday. “We are following up with the clubs.”

Communications problems are common. So common that it’s hard not to wonder whether the NFL doesn’t simply get rid of the communications systems entirely — or at least bring back the hard-wired system as a backup to the fluky wireless devices.

Regardless, no specific team has a monopoly on these issues, and the NFL remains in charge of all in-stadium communications systems. Absent evidence that these issues are specific to one venue and/or that there is any reason to suspect foul play, the happenstance needs to stay in the “sh-t happens” category
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/14/sundays-game-featured-several-communications-issues/

Of course the only ones that whined about it, was the team that got beat by the Pats.

Big Ben is such a bitter sore losing twat:

Poor old Ben, amazing how we seemed to know his plays yet our defense was pretty rubbish and our secondary was quite poor :confused:. No Ben you lost because where Brady was perfect during the game and lethally efficient in the Redzone, you my friend where not. That is why you lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Tyrelle Pryor worked out for us today, along with Harper being cut. Interesting...

Tyrelle Pryor worked out for us today, along with Harper being cut. Interesting...

Be interesting to see how Pryor fairs as a WR. The empty spot will probably be filled by Thompkins though I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Be interesting to see how Pryor fairs as a WR. The empty spot will probably be filled by Thompkins though I hope.

They used it to sihn a LB, Dekoda Watson, special teams player. And there's one spot left on the Practice Squad, presumably for Harper

infacteh wrote: »
    They used it to sihn a LB, Dekoda Watson, special teams player. And there's one spot left on the Practice Squad, presumably for Harper

Just saw that after I posted. Still hopeful we bring up Thompkins. Im sure there will be more cuts and moves over the coming weeks.

• Advertisement

Im having a Brady and Bruschi love in this morning, watching all of the clips of Bruschi defending Tom/The Pats through the deflating ****e and then two documentaries on Tom.

Anyone else wants to feel all warm and fuzzy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement