Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

That vid, when he sheds tears; that's TB.
    And he still takes it personally, and he still lets it drive himself forward.
    He's done what nobody but he himself expected.
    And he's still taking punches today from those jealous enough not to be as talented as he worked to be, and from those who don't have him on their team.

I knew what it was like to be a Pats fan before TB, and I appreciate this time so much cause I know the day will come when he's not there. He's the greatest QB of his generation, and has a claim to be the greatest of all time. 4 rings baby, 4 rings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

JCTO wrote: »
    Just saw that after I posted. Still hopeful we bring up Thompkins. Im sure there will be more cuts and moves over the coming weeks.

We've taken Keyshawn Martin from the Texans, looks like a Thompkins return is less likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

BizzyC wrote: »
    We've taken Keyshawn Martin from the Texans, looks like a Thompkins return is less likely.

One good thing about Martin he comes from Bill O'Briens system which isn't too far away from the current Pats system so he should fit right in.

Were headsets really the problem for the Steelers?
    Really sneaky that we put a 6'6'' giant outside by himself, where he couldn't be spotted.
    362762.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

That vid, when he sheds tears; that's TB.
    And he still takes it personally, and he still lets it drive himself forward.
    He's done what nobody but he himself expected.
    And he's still taking punches today from those jealous enough not to be as talented as he worked to be, and from those who don't have him on their team.

I knew what it was like to be a Pats fan before TB, and I appreciate this time so much cause I know the day will come when he's not there. He's the greatest QB of his generation, and has a claim to be the greatest of all time. 4 rings baby, 4 rings!

For me the GOAT debate ended with the 4th ring and before that, it was only Brady & Montana anyway. Tom pretty much owns every important record that matters and that's the ones in postseason where champions rise above the pack. His performance in the SB, against one of the best & most dominant defenses of all time was a masterclass to watch. The same defense that Rodgers was completely impotent against twice last year and the same defense the humiliated Manning in 2013. Yip, last February closed the discussion for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,928 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Apparently I'm getting a surprise present of a No. 87 jersey. I've got the no.12 from 2014 and I'll be very happy to get this one too.

Bought my coffee flask and water bottle today. Wish I was here for another home game but unfortunately I'm heading back next Wednesday.

Bills tomorrow. I can't help worrying about our OL and secondary.

I know the OL did a good job last week, but the Bills are as tough as it gets this week, and we'll need to see Brady play with a lot of quick releases to stay healthy.

Is Taylor the real deal? If he is then they have the weapons to hurt us. I expect us to try and keep him in the pocket, so containment will be prioritised. But with our secondary I see a number of big plays given up.

I'm still gonna pick us to do the job, but not by much. AFC East is looking like one of the tougher divisions this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Bills are gonna be very tough, this will give us a good idea of where we are as a unit right now. Brady loves beating the Bills so I keep faith with Tom but it could go either way I think. I think we will put up points, but I am worried about how many the defense will allow also.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Bills tomorrow. I can't help worrying about our OL and secondary.

I know the OL did a good job last week, but the Bills are as tough as it gets this week, and we'll need to see Brady play with a lot of quick releases to stay healthy.

The rookie O line will have some test tomorrow. The Bills front seven were tough before, but the arrival of Rex makes them even more dangerous. I'll be amazed if we can establish any kind of running game tomorrow. But if we do, I think it will come from the sneakiness of Lewis rather than a Blount battering ram. And as you said, Tom being real fast with his release will be key alright. The Bills have their weapons and the defense needs to be a whole lot better than last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

As much as I like Blount, I rarely have faith in his ability to be a effective force against good defenses. Too often, to my eyes, he fails to find a cut or seam and ends up getting smothered at the line. He's no Bolden by any means, but there was a reason beyond conduct that he didn't get much action in Pittsburgh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,928 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I gotta say that for me I'm not too worried what happens tomorrow. Last year we played like a lot of players were not fully tuned up early in the season and we went on to win the Superbowl. I'll happily take the same start again this year. We have the Jags coming to Gillette in week 3 and we can go into our bye week 2 and 1 quite easily. If we win tomorrow it's a bonus because it's a very tough game this early in the season I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Definitely going to be a baptism of fire for the rookies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Like I said earlier in the thread, Amendola has been unlucky with injuries as apposed to having durability issues. The talent is certainly there

I got roasted on here for saying this at the time when Welker was released. Two and half years on, I think he's missed three, maybe four games. He's got a ring, while Welker is in a dark room somewhere.

https://twitter.com/BSO/status/645699200529727488

I rest my case.

I got roasted on here for saying this at the time when Welker was released. Two and half years on, I think he's missed three, maybe four games. He's got a ring, while Welker is in a dark room somewhere.

I rest my case.

Come on.

Amendola has not performed to the level expected of him, Edelman has stepped up and taken on the mantle and been probably even better then Welker, but certainly not Amendola.

His production does not match his pay, that is the biggest issue.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

I rest my case.

Great catch by Danny and no one will argue he has great ability when he shows up but he has truly been non existent for the Pats since he joined. His best performances were last year in the Bowl run and he has shown glimpses this season but I wouldn't be comparing him to Welker just yet. What has a ring got to do with anything either? He still has it all to prove if he can perform like he did in the Bowl run in last season and come out with a solid season this season he will start to shine again.

The bit in bold: Sure he has only missed 4 games overall but his stats over the 3 seasons including playoffs:

35 games 1100 yards 6 TD. 31 ypg avg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I got roasted on here for saying this at the time when Welker was released.

No you didn't. I went back and had a look and only one person replied to your post. Hardly what I'd call "roasted".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

No you didn't. I went back and had a look and only one person replied to your post. Hardly what I'd call "roasted".

well at least now in 3 years time you will be able to say you got roasted for suggesting you got roasted for saying Danny Amendola will be a big star 6 years ago.

It was some catch though - I thought Amendola was going to be the perfect replacement for Welker too, but it didn't turn out that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

So now no Romo or Dez for our game with Dallas.

I feared for our OL and secondary. Full credit to the OL, against a fierce DL they were excellent protecting Brady. The secondary, they did give up some plays, but seemed to help the pass rush (8 sacks) by covering well (some good linebacker coverage as well).
    Collins and Jones had a good day rushing. That's what Jones needs to do on a more regular basis. Not just the sacks numbers, he applied pressure for most of the day.

Didn't like it either time we went for it on 4th down. But hard to criticize the offense after putting up 40pts! Brady, Gronk, Lewis (only blemish was that fumble, but glad Bill didn't bench him, he's got something), Edelman and that catch by Amendola!

On Amendola, he hadn't lived up to his billing yet. And he's been no Welker. Edelman had picked up that role and possibly surpassed it with his SB performance (could easily have been SB MVP).

• Advertisement

So now no Romo or Dez for our game with Dallas.
    Huge.
    Jags next, they bye and then Dallas.
    No reason we shouldn't be 4:0 heading to the Colts.

The early bye after just 3 weeks really does suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Good win. Pity we went prevent defence in the 4th quarter. Bit unsure about the defence 8 sacks and 3 interceptions but still gave up 32 points.

me89 wrote: »
    Bit unsure about the defence 8 sacks and 3 interceptions but still gave up 32 points.
    It's a passing game. You can sack someone for a 8yds loss, but the QB can get back up and nail a 20yd reception.
    Sacks are overrated. They can be key at times of course. The DL had a good days work, but our secondary is poor. Has McCourthy made a play in the two opening games? There's only two years between McCourthy and Revis. I know who'd prefer to have kept.

The Texans have a beast in Watt, but his team have gone 2:14 in 2013, and 9:7 in 2014. And they are 0:2 this year, and not exactly coming close to shutting down the opposition. I'm not shouldering all that on Watt, but it shows that the position can be vastly overpaid on comparison to shutdown corners (IMO).

Anyone else think that Chandler is looking like just a big lump out there? The two drops in the EZ were poor. He's there to make us more proficient in the red zone. Might as well force it to Gronk if he's double covered.

Watt and McCourty don't play the same position though?

Watt and McCourty don't play the same position though?
    I wasn't comparing Watt to McCourthy.

It's a passing game. You can sack someone for a 8yds loss, but the QB can get back up and nail a 20yd reception.
    Sacks are overrated. They can be key at times of course. The DL had a good days work, but our secondary is poor. Has McCourthy made a play in the two opening games? There's only two years between McCourthy and Revis. I know who'd prefer to have kept.

The Texans have a beast in Watt, but his team have gone 2:14 in 2013, and 9:7 in 2014. And they are 0:2 this year, and not exactly coming close to shutting down the opposition. I'm not shouldering all that on Watt, but it shows that the position can be vastly overpaid on comparison to shutdown corners (IMO).
    I wasn't comparing Watt to McCourthy.

Apologies so, it seemed to me that you were going by what you said.

Apologies so, it seemed to me that you were going by what you said.

I was comparing keeping McCourty to keeping Revis.
    Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Yeah I got that, its the inclusion of JJ Watt into it as a comparison/contrast that threw me, not a big deal :)

• Advertisement

Yeah I got that, its the inclusion of JJ Watt into it as a comparison/contrast that threw me, not a big deal :)

I was trying to show that even though our DL had a very good game, we still conceded 32pts. If our secondary were to have a very good game, then I reckon we concede 16-20pts at most.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement