Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A bitter sweet feeling after watching the game against the 49'ers. A dire first half then followed by an amazing second half fight back. Let's hope the poor first half performance got the gremlins out of their system and sharpened them up for the business end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

A bitter sweet feeling after watching the game against the 49'ers. A dire first half then followed by an amazing second half fight back. Let's hope the poor first half performance got the gremlins out of their system and sharpened them up for the business end of the season.
    Sadly I think the road goes through Denver, the Pats record is abysmal there to say the least.

Sadly I think the road goes through Denver, the Pats record is abysmal there to say the least.

Records are made to be broken, just give me a fully fit team, Gronk back and an offense and defense that is up for it and I don't care where they play tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

To emphasise CM's point above, have a look at our record vs. NFC teams in the past decade, then this year happens. Past record is only valid so far. I trust we've got the offence to deal with any team, anywhere. I think they'll believe it too after the second half this past week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

CJC86 wrote: »
    To emphasise CM's point above, have a look at our record vs. NFC teams in the past decade, then this year happens. Past record is only valid so far. I trust we've got the offence to deal with any team, anywhere. I think they'll believe it too after the second half this past week.
    Offence has never been the problem though, its the other side of the ball that worries me.

Denver's schedule has been anything but difficult this year, helped by the fact that their division was rubbish, but I still don't want to go there. They padded their record with a lot of the teams they played, but they are gathering momentum at the right time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Rumours that Josh could go to Cleveland as a HC and possibly trade for Mallett, he's apparently one of the targets Michael Lombardi would have if he became GM. I doubt anything will come of it, but I'd definitely be a bit of a Browns fan if either happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Josh tried the HC gig, didnt work outm I'd be very happy for him to stay where he is for a while, I like him as a Pats OC :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

kryogen wrote: »
    Josh tried the HC gig, didnt work outm I'd be very happy for him to stay where he is for a while, I like him as a Pats OC :)

Hasn't been flawless though. Some seriously head scratching moments of picking runs over passes and vice versa. Fans comments made more sense than some poor playcalling. It hasn't been all bad mind (we're one of the best in the NFL on the attack) but some bumpy points.

Another poor performance by the Pats yesterday, especially offensively. Just watch Brady's post game press conference, because it says it all. A bad time for the team to start misfiring. It's been a season of self inflicted wounds, especially when you look back at the silly and unnecessary losses at the beginning of the season. They need to get their mojo back and quick, because the playoffs are breathing down our necks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

So, how will the seeding pan out for the play-offs? If Denver win and Houston lose, will the Pats be 2nd seeds (assuming they beat Miami of course)? If both win (and Pats win too), we'll be 3rd seeds? So would they play the 6th seeds? Probably the Bengals?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

If Houston lose you'll be 2nd seeds; if Denver lose, you'll be second seeds; if both lose, you'll be first seeds, and if both win you'll be 3rd seeds and facing Cincinnati at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Another poor performance by the Pats yesterday, especially offensively. Just watch Brady's post game press conference, because it says it all. A bad time for the team to start misfiring. It's been a season of self inflicted wounds, especially when you look back at the silly and unnecessary losses at the beginning of the season. They need to get their mojo back and quick, because the playoffs are breathing down our necks.
    Thing is they got it done yesterday even with a real bad performance. This is what you have to learn to do to become Champions.

Personally I'm glad in hindsight that this happened. I think this focuses everybody and we are going to get better performances in the playoffs.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Thing is they got it done yesterday even with a real bad performance. This is what you have to learn to do to become Champions.

Personally I'm glad in hindsight that this happened. I think this focuses everybody and we are going to get better performances in the playoffs.

I totally agree with you there, winning ugly is just as vital as winning impressively. And I'd rather save the champagne performances for the playoffs, rather than the regular season wind down. I just hope they'll bring it when it really matters.

Apparently Brady could be even heard outside the dressing room, as he ripped the team a new arse hole for their performance on Sunday. Then Wilfork and one or two of the captains joined in. Let's hope no more wake up calls are needed.

The Patriots equipment manager Don Brocher, died early today after after losing his battle with leukemia. Don was the longest serving employee in team history with 41 seasons under his belt. He started out with the Patriots in 1972 as a ball boy.

May he RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

RIP Don. A man who worked though all the great times and the rough times too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

RIP Don Brocher

Great that the Pats got the bye week.
    Wouldn't like to have seen us play with Gronk protecting his arm this weekend.
    The extra week gives more time for Dennard/Spikes/Talib to return to the defence as they will be needed.

I'm not convinced yet by the secondary and our ability to see out 60mins against the top teams; we won't be playing anyone as bad as the Dolphins in the playoffs.

If our offence clicks for each game, then we have a great chance of lifting the SB. But at times this year the offence has struggled to get us sufficiently past the 20pts mark (our defence is gonna concede and won't shut-out the playoff teams) in a similar fashion to last years SB.

Looking forward to this weekends games.
    I expect Houston to rebound, Colts to push Ravens all the way, Rodgers to lead GB to victory, and RG3 to edge Wilson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

RGIII wont edge Wilson.

Seahawks are looking very dangerous, they could get deep in the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Only worry is that the Seahawks are 8-0 at home but they've to travel in the playoffs.

Looking back on the Pats regular season offensive stats and numbers, they once again make for some impressive reading.

Points scored
    Final rank: 1st (34.8)

Total offense
    Final rank: 1st (427.9 yards per game)

Rushing offense
    Final rank: 7th (136.5 yards per game)

Passing offense
    Final rank: 4th (291.4 yards per game)

Third-down offense
    Final rank: 1st (110 of 226, 48.7 percent)

Red-zone offense (based on TD percentage)
    Final rank: 1st (49 of 70, 70.0 percent)

As usual Brady finishes with some very impressive numbers: 4,827 Yards passing, 34 TD’s and only 8 Int’s. To me at times this season, he didn't seem to be in the groove, yet he still racks up some great stats. Brady didn’t go over the 5,000 Yard mark this season, but largely due to the increased focus on our run game. Stephen Ridley’s rushing total for the season alone, was nearly double that of Lawfirm last year. Ridley's rushing yardage this season is also the 4th most ever by a Patriot player.

So a much more balanced offense was clearly evident and we now have a strong running game in place. Stephen Ridley ran for 1265 Yards, with 12 TD’s and got a total of 82 rushing first downs. Which is the third highest in the NFL. And 28.3% of his 290 carries resulted in a first down, which is pretty impressive stuff. Especially in a season where he really had to step up to the plate. He can only go from strength to strength.

The strengthening chemistry between Brady and Brandon Lloyd was clearly evident in the latter games of the season, but especially in the 49’ers game. He finished with 74 catches for 911 yards and 4 TD's, good stuff when you consider our dynamic and varied offense. But it is his ability to catch the impossible catch that has really caught my eye. I just hope he can clear up that niggling knee issue he’s been carrying for a while now.

Welker was Welker as usual, Gronk probably could have smashed more records but for missing 5 games. Hernandez has had his niggling injures and seems to be still trying to get back into the groove. Woodhead proved how indispensible he really is, ending the season with 76 carries for 301 yards and 4 rushing TD’s. He also totalled 40 receptions, 446 receiving yards and 3 TD’s receiving scores. Edelman was going so well before having his season ended.

Now let’s hope they all can stay injury free, because it would be nice for a change to have a fully fit Gronk and Co stepping it up in the off-season. Josh McDaniels has done an excellent job and thankfully Black Monday passed off without incident. After settling back in so well, I really think in year two he could take the offense to another level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2013/01/04/for-patriots-danny-woodhead-all-positive/ynBPhx3kMIUitLleLpPflO/story.html
    Question: In his 116 regular-season touches this year, how many negative-yardage plays was Woodhead responsible for?

Answer: Four.

The short list: A 9-yard rushing loss on a third-and-6 play in the third quarter against the Cardinals in Week 2; a 4-yard rushing loss on a first-and-10 play in the fourth quarter against the Ravens in Week 3; a 2-yard loss on a fourth-quarter pass from Tom Brady against the Dolphins in Week 13; and a 3-yard loss on a first-quarter pass from Brady against the 49ers in Week 15.

<3

Really don't see a way we don't resign him.

I gave out about him during preseason and he quickly reminded me of what he can do. Probably our most versatile player on offense and it would be crazy to lose him as a free agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Masked Man wrote: »
    Really don't see a way we don't resign him.

We have four running backs, Woodhead ranks No2 for me.
    When Ridley and Vereen were rumbling against SF, Bill turned to Danny who didn't disappoint.
    Would hate to see us let him go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭resdubwhite

Danny Woodhead has to stay next Year.

Ridley/Bolden the power backs.
    Demps/Woodhead/Vereen 3rd down shifty backs.

Would not be surprised to see Vereen moved. I know he's relatively cheap, but if Demps is back next year I can't see them keeping all of them.

At the minute Vereen has only shown glimpses and as a 2nd Rd pick he's been a bit of a let down. Also, he cannot pick up the blitz in passing situations.

Re the play offs. I'm kind of confident. Have no fear going to Denver if need be.

as far as 2013 goes. There will be big off season decisions to make.
    1 or maybe 2 of Welker,Talib, Vollmer won't be back. While it maybe possible to fit them all in 2013 its impossible to carry over all that money into 2014. Not even if Brady extends and moves 10 million into the next contract.

Vollmer won't be back.

I really can't see that happening, his worst game this season was when he came back against Miami after missing the Jets game with back and knee issues. He clearly wasn't right for that game, but he got through it. Looking at the O line worries at the start of the season, they performed better than expected for me and Vollmer has been a huge part of that. Vollmer has kept the likes of J.J. Watt, Robert Mathis, Chris Long and Bruce Irvin sackless, and kept Elvis Dumervil to only half a sack. Not bad going for a guy with a bad back.

I really can't see that happening, his worst game this season was when he came back against Miami after missing the Jets game with back and knee issues. He clearly wasn't right for that game, but he got through it. Looking at the O line worries at the start of the season, they performed better than expected for me and Vollmer has been a huge part of that. Vollmer has kept the likes of J.J. Watt, Robert Mathis, Chris Long and Bruce Irvin sackless, and kept Elvis Dumervil to only half a sack. Not bad going for a guy with a bad back.
    Someone will offer him LT money.

NE won't.

anything over 5 per year and he's gone.

Pats only have about 21 million to spend next year. Welker/Talib are priority 1 and 2.

I wouldn't be so pessimistic, Vollmer's skill level makes him irreplaceable right now. And he's the only guy that can really do a good job of moving over to LT and covering Solder if he goes down with injury. If he is allowed onto the market, I think we won't be able to match any offers. So that's why I think it makes sense to tag him for the year and buy us some breathing space.

I wouldn't be so pessimistic, Vollmer's skill level makes him irreplaceable right now. And he's the only guy that can really do a good job of moving over to LT and covering Solder if he goes down with injury. If he is allowed onto the market, I think we won't be able to match any offers. So that's why I think it makes sense to tag him for the year and buy us some breathing space.
    Thats 8 million roundabout next year.

Makes it hard to keep Welker.

And he's a bigger priority.

but I suppose they have to use the tag on someone.

looking at this site thats usually on the money someone will have to defer money.
    Can't see Mankins doing it. Not fair to do it to Big Vince.
    Brady has already done it and wold need it deferred more than likely to an extension.
    There isn't a lot of room to play with here.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/Patriots/patriots2013.php

Welker and Brady have a very close bond on and off the pitch and I think Wes really couldn't contemplate going anywhere else tbh. For that reason, I'd rather tag Vollmer and work something on a Welker deal. One thing is for certain, it's going to be a serious head scratcher.

I'm not sure if the current salary cap space is factoring in the Jonathan Fanene debacle? He signed for us last March, for three years on a $12 million deal with a $3.5 signing bonus. Then he was released last August, for a failure to disclose a preexisting physical condition. I know they were looking into recouping the money lost. It certainly would help if that $3.5 signing bonus was added to the current cap space.

• Advertisement

Welker and Brady have a very close bond on and off the pitch and I think Wes really couldn't contemplate going anywhere else tbh. For that reason, I'd rather tag Vollmer and work something on a Welker deal. One thing is for certain, it's going to be a serious head scratcher.

I'm not sure if the current salary cap space is factoring in the Jonathan Fanene debacle? He signed for us last March, for three years on a $12 million deal with a $3.5 signing bonus. Then he was released last August, for a failure to disclose a preexisting physical condition. I know they were looking into recouping the money lost. It certainly would help if that $3.5 signing bonus was added to the current cap space.
    I believe they had to file a grievance for that bonus money. Not sure if it ever happened. But 3.5 million moving to next year would cover the 2013 rookie slaries, so will no doubt help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement