Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Re the play offs. I'm kind of confident. Have no fear going to Denver if need be.

There's confidence and then there's flat out arrogance, be afraid bro, be very afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

You guys are waaaayyyy more confident about Welker resigning than I am. I haven't really thought about it much since the off-season but I pretty much accepted that this would be his last season here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Masked Man wrote: »
    You guys are waaaayyyy more confident about Welker resigning than I am. I haven't really thought about it much since the off-season but I pretty much accepted that this would be his last season here.

Can he be franchised and then traded?
    I'm also not that confident that he'll be around (unless they work out a deal) as I can't see him franchised again with the intent of keeping him.
    Both franchised tag will have cost more than giving him the deal he wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭resdubwhite

There's confidence and then there's flat out arrogance, be afraid bro, be very afraid.
    Afraid of What?

Show me the arrogance?I figure NE can take the Broncos in Denver. Their second half schedule has been soft to say the least.

Can he be franchised and then traded?
    I'm also not that confident that he'll be around (unless they work out a deal) as I can't see him franchised again with the intent of keeping him.
    Both franchised tag will have cost more than giving him the deal he wanted.
    Two reasons he probably won't be franchised.
    1. Its about 2 million more than last year. Team completely loses all flexibility as its almost certain to be traded. Other teams would see that. See what happened to Cassell in 2009.

2. He probably would hold out and not report. Would be a terrible ending to the Welker/NE relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

There's confidence and then there's flat out arrogance,..

What arrogance? The poster said he was confident and had no fear of going to Denver that's all.

And now for the second part of that post..
    be afraid bro, be very afraid.

Serious irony, you'll know it when you see it. Pretty priceless stuff.

I was in your camp, but two things now have me not so sure. Welker was the last man standing and doing the business, when everyone was dropping like flies around him with injuries. Edleman, the heir to Welker's throne, went out for seven games. I think Welker's durability has not gone unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭J. Football

Wearing this on our helmets next weekend. A nice little touch.

A_3EwPtCcAALbPH.jpg:large

So Houston it is.

They'll be motivated for this one for sure given the hiding they took.

But they are a dome team. And it is in Foxborough. In January.

Early line I'm guessing NE -5.

But look at the 49er's game, the Pats played their worst half of football I have ever seen them play. Yes they almost pulled off the greatest comeback in NFL history. But those west coast sun lovers weren't supposed to beat us in the manly Foxborough weather. No surprise it's the Texans in the end, I'll take nothing for granted in this game. But if we bring the same prep and approach to this game as the last meeting, then I'll be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Early line I'm guessing NE -5.

Bookies line is -9.5 atm.

Bookies line is -9.5 atm.
    Really? I'd take Houston with 9.5.
    Its playoff football.

But look at the 49er's game, the Pats played their worst half of football I have ever seen them play. Yes they almost pulled off the greatest comeback in NFL history. But those west coast sun lovers weren't supposed to beat us in the manly Foxborough weather. No surprise it's the Texans in the end, I'll take nothing for granted in this game. But if we bring the same prep and approach to this game as the last meeting, then I'll be happy.
    But......
    The Gronk is back.

:)

I see there has been 100% attendance in practice this week.
    Not sure who I'm rooting for. Even though Denver gored them I think Baltimore is the tougher matchup.

Wasn't impressed with Houston's victory.
    They struggled to dominate in offense (they had the ball 2/3 of the time) and Schaub is an average QB.
    Their defense had a good game, but the Bengals are far from an elite team.

You can't take anything for granted in the playoffs (i.e. Jets in Jan '11), but if we produce anything near our A game, then it should be a comfortable victory.
    But with our secondary you just can't predict what will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

But look at the 49er's game. Yet they almost pulled off the greatest comeback in NFL history .

Sorry Corvus but your talking out of your Pats hat Im afraid. There are many examples throughout the history of the NFL where teams came back from large deficits to actually go on and win the game. Heck the Broncos came from 24-0 down at half time to beat the Chargers by 11, a 35 point turnaround in October.

The Cardinals 25 point comeback and most importantly win against the Bucs in November 1987 has to been seen as a more significant feat.

The 49ners with Joe Montana in December 1980 came from 35-7 down to beat the Saints.

However whilst all of those mentioned were great comebacks to suggest the Pats half hearted comeback against the 49ners could compare to the Buffalo Bills comeback win in the playoffs in January 1993 against Houston is laughable. Heck the Bills were down 32 points in the third quarter.

Perhaps a history lesson in the game of National Football League is needed Corvus before you make any more grand claims to Patriot greatness in the future.

Perhaps a history lesson in the game of National Football League is needed Corvus.

Hey, less of the pettiness please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Sorry Corvus but your talking out of your Pats hat Im afraid. There are many examples throughout the history of the NFL where teams came back from large deficits to actually go on and win the game. Heck the Broncos came from 24-0 down at half time to beat the Chargers by 11, a 35 point turnaround in October.

The Cardinals 25 point comeback and most importantly win against the Bucs in November 1987 has to been seen as a more significant feat.

The 49ners with Joe Montana in December 1980 came from 35-7 down to beat the Saints.

However whilst all of those mentioned were great comebacks to suggest the Pats half hearted comeback against the 49ners could compare to the Buffalo Bills comeback win in the playoffs in January 1993 against Houston is laughable. Heck the Bills were down 32 points in the third quarter.

Perhaps a history lesson in the game of National Football League is needed Corvus before you make any more grand claims to Patriot greatness in the future.
    Its you that needs the history lesson. It would have been officially the greatest comeback in NFL history because nobody has even come back from that far behind. We are talking records here not whether it was regular season or playoffs.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its you that needs the history lesson. It would have been officially the greatest comeback in NFL history because nobody has even come back from that far behind. We are talking records here not whether it was regular season or playoffs.

The OP claimed the Pats comeback against the 49ners was one of the greatest comebacks of all time period. No mention of records and the more important the match the greater the stakes so under these circumstances the Bills comeback after been behind by 32 points is greater. This is a forum of debate eagle eye and I disagree with the assertion that the Pats comeback was one of the greatest of all time. Why do I need a history lesson? after all I did not neglect the history of the game to make grand claims. Im just calling Corvus out on this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The OP claimed the Pats comeback against the 49ners was one of the greatest comebacks of all time period. No mention of records and the more important the match the greater the stakes so under these circumstances the Bills comeback after been behind by 32 points is greater. This is a forum of debate eagle eye and I disagree with the assertion that the Pats comeback was one of the greatest of all time. Why do I need a history lesson? after all I did not neglect the history of the game to make grand claims. Im just calling Corvus out on this issue.
    It would officially have been regarded as the best comeback of all time had it happened. Do you not understand that?

What you are talking about is the situation and pressure a game was a played in. I completely understand that but thats an argument we could have had if it had actually happened.

I completely understand what Corvus is saying and I think you are failing to. I'm sure that he wouldn't outright call it the most special comeback of all time but what he is saying is that it would have been the greatest comeback by numbers in the history of the game. You are being so pedantic here, do you really need him to spell it out in his post?

waffle, waffle,waffle, waffle, waffle waffle, ect,ect, ect , ect

Surprised it took you so long to come in here, still sore from the Giants thread?

EE, don't even dignify him with a response. Just go over to the Giants thread and read some of the shyte he posted there. Absolutely laughable and entertaining stuff if nothing else. But be careful EE, he'll probably start stalking you in other forums like he did with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I'm not getting this either. How is coming back from 31-3 down a bigger comeback than from 35-3 down?

matthew8 wrote: »
    I'm not getting this either. How is coming back from 31-3 down a bigger comeback than from 35-3 down?

Finally someone looks at the context of the game rather than the final scoreline

Surprised it took you so long to come in here, still sore from the Giants thread?

EE, don't even dignify him with a response. Just go over to the Giants thread and read some of the shyte he posted there. Absolutely laughable and entertaining stuff if nothing else. But be careful EE, he'll probably start stalking you in other forums like he did with me.

Explain the relevance of this to our CURRENT debate. Under this logic I should repost some of the stuff you post on the After Hours thread but I rise above such childish drivel.

PS: Just as well for our younger viewers!

It would officially have been regarded as the best comeback of all time had it happened. Do you not understand that?

What you are talking about is the situation and pressure a game was a played in. I completely understand that but thats an argument we could have had if it had actually happened.

I completely understand what Corvus is saying and I think you are failing to. I'm sure that he wouldn't outright call it the most special comeback of all time but what he is saying is that it would have been the greatest comeback by numbers in the history of the game. You are being so pedantic here, do you really need him to spell it out in his post?
    I

I see your not so eagled eye when it comes to basic maths. 32 is greater than 28 you know.

Explain the relevance of this to our CURRENT debate. Under this logic I should repost some of the stuff you post on the After Hours thread but I rise above such childish dribble.

PS: Just as well for our younger viewers!
    You meant drivel I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

the pats would need another 8 to beat the 49ners and as such 28+8 is 36. The greatest comeback of all time! The problem is the pats never looked like winning so how is this a comeback. The 49ners went to sleep, woke up and finished off the job.

eh, no one said they did complete the comeback. one person said if they did, it would have been the greatest comeback in NFL history. what are you actually trying to argue against here? It just seems like utter nonsense on the Patriots page where you make no sense at all.

bruschi wrote: »
    eh, no one said they did complete the comeback. one person said if they did, it would have been the greatest comeback in NFL history. what are you actually trying to argue against here? It just seems like utter nonsense on the Patriots page where you make no sense at all.

If they had come back from 31-3 and won it still would not surpass the result the Bills had when they came back from 32 and won.

Do you understand what I am trying to say to you right now?

You meant drivel I think.

Im glad you rise above such drivel!

Im glad you rise above such drivel!
    See. You got it now.

• Advertisement

See. You got it now.

Mistakes are sometimes made, even by Giants among men.

You would know that if you ever took on a patriot army.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement