Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Got my username back - time to root out the old Tom Brady sig + avatar for Sunday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

BizzyC wrote: »
    Have you been watching the Ravens?
    In the past few weeks the defense has been energised by Ray's pending retirement and the addition of Jim Caldwell has greatly improved their offensive play calling.

They're a much better team than they were when they beat us.

I dunno tbh. They beat the Broncos this week but they have hardly improved that much from week 17. Are they that different from the team that went 1-4 in the last 5 weeks of the season?

The defense is worse than the team in week 3. Their offense is debatable better (but certainly not a top NFL offense i would be afraid of) but our defense is a lot better too.

This is the playoffs anything can happen so i don't want to seem to be writing them off, the Broncos found that out the hard way.

BizzyC wrote: »
    Have you been watching the Ravens?
    In the past few weeks the defense has been energised by Ray's pending retirement and the addition of Jim Caldwell has greatly improved their offensive play calling.

I can't say I've recognised any great improvement in their playcalling. As a matter of fact, I could've sworn Cam Cameron was still in charge at times on Sunday such was my disapproval.

Great paragraph from Charles Pierce's article on the game Sunday night over on Grantland :D
    Tom Brady's reward for a 25-for-40, three-touchdown evening in which he topped Joe Montana for playoff wins in a career is merely to face off for an entire week against the relentless hype of the ongoing Ray Lewis–Don't-Mention-The-Inconveniently-Dead-Guys Farewell Tour Of The Americas. Stevan Ridley's reward for his nifty 82 yards rushing is merely that he gets to lower his head into Haloti Ngata about 11 times next week. Shane Vereen's reward for his three touchdowns — one of them on a down-the-sideline throw by Brady that may be the best pass thrown by anyone ever — is merely to try to grind out first downs while looking to see if Ed Reed is launching himself at Vereen's head.

And Re: Belichick's response to Danieal Manning's 94 yard return:
    "Yeah," said Belichick, the songs of happy angels echoing behind every word, "it was a huge play."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

JaMarcus, you sig is simply outstanding :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Hazys wrote: »
    I dunno tbh. They beat the Broncos this week but they have hardly improved that much from week 17. Are they that different from the team that went 1-4 in the last 5 weeks of the season?

The defense is worse than the team in week 3. Their offense is debatable better (but certainly not a top NFL offense i would be afraid of) but our defense is a lot better too.

This is the playoffs anything can happen so i don't want to seem to be writing them off, the Broncos found that out the hard way.

They've scored over 60 points in the playoffs so far.
    Flacco has thrown 5 td's with 0 ints, Denver only managed to sack him once (top pass rushing team in NFL).

You've got a team with potential of putting up 25 points against the Pats D.
    If their defence is firing on all cylinders then it'll be a lot on Brady to put up the 30+ we'll likely need.

Having said that, I think that we match up better against them this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Not sure if I can wish ye good luck but I hope it's a crackin game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just saw this on Twitter:

BA1m734CUAARyPf.jpg

Kevin Faulk and Matt Light honorary captains on Sunday. Can't wait to see the reception they get :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Hate the Pats and hope the Ravens hammer them.

tumblr_m96gtvfjiy1rpmw1no2_250.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I can't say I've recognised any great improvement in their playcalling. As a matter of fact, I could've sworn Cam Cameron was still in charge at times on Sunday such was my disapproval.

Caldwell was just focused on getting Flacco into third and short situations IMO. I agree on the play calling by the way, it became so obvious at one stage that everyone knew it was going to be run, run, pass on the 3 downs but in general it has been better. At least he's letting Rice touch the ball and Flacco use his big arm, which is an improvement on what we had under Cam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Hazys wrote: »
    Can't wait for next Sunday. I think we win as we are a better team than the team that lost to the Ravens earlier in the season and the Ravens are a worse team than the team that beat us.

They were awesome against the Colts, and even better against Denver. I don't know how, but Baltimore have gotten white-hot almost overnight. Joe Flacco has a 120 passer rating over the last 2 playoff games. I think you guys will win but this is far, far, far from a gimme.

JaMarcus, you sig is simply outstanding :D.

He was quick to ditch the USC one, it must be said ;):pac:

davyjose wrote: »
    They were awesome against the Colts, and even better against Denver. I don't know how, but Baltimore have gotten white-hot almost overnight. Joe Flacco has a 120 passer rating over the last 2 playoff games. I think you guys will win but this is far, far, far from a gimme.

Patriot Vs Ravens games are and always will be always great battles. It's weird because it's almost like a divisional rivalry at times. If there was one player I wanted fit and healthy(aside from Brady of course) coming into the post season and that was Gronk. Yes we have played some excellent stuff without him, but if he was fit and healthy I would be confident of the win.

But the Ravens are on an emotional high right now and are playing out of their skins. Nothing is certain and nothing is guaranteed when playing against these guys. But Brady is 5-2 against the Ravens and if he gets the O line protection he needs, then hopefully he'll do the business.

Patriot Vs Ravens games are and always will be always great battles. It's weird because it's almost like a divisional rivalry at times. If there was one player I wanted fit and healthy(aside from Brady of course) coming into the post season and that was Gronk. Yes we have played some excellent stuff without him, but if he was fit and healthy I would be confident of the win.

But the Ravens are on an emotional high right now and are playing out of their skins. Nothing is certain and nothing is guaranteed when playing against these guys. But Brady is 5-2 against the Ravens and if he gets the O line protection he needs, then hopefully he'll do the business.

Brady's got a winning record against just about everyone :pac:

Like I said, I think you'll win, but if Baltimore play like they have over the last two weeks it'll be close. Of course I partially expect Flacco to implode, and then it'll just be a bloodbath.

davyjose wrote: »
    Of course I partially expect Flacco to implode, and then it'll just be a bloodbath.

I hope so, but he has surprised me in the playoffs. But no QB can go from the sublime to the ridiculous on virtual back to back plays the way he can. So hopefully he'll bring his worst game of the season to Gillette.

But no QB can go from the sublime to the ridiculous on virtual back to back plays the way he can.

Irrelevant, but allow me to introduce you to:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Masked Man wrote: »

In general how happy has everyone been with Lloyd? I think he's been grand but I'd love to see some big physical 6ft 4 speed merchant on the outside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

SK1979 wrote: »
    In general how happy has everyone been with Lloyd? I think he's been grand but I'd love to see some big physical 6ft 4 speed merchant on the outside.

Reasonably, but not over the top. A massive improvement on Ochocinco, but thats not hard. Some of his catches have been superb, he has great ability. I'm just not sure we have got the best out of him. That catch earlier in the season where he hurt his arm was a phenomenal grab. But he hasnt been the deep speed threat I thought he may have been. Not sure if he'll be back next year, I'd like to see him stay, but wont lose sleep if he goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

It's only been his first year in a new system. Give him time. I wouldn't release him on the back of a productive year.

SK1979 wrote: »

I've been quite please with Lloyd, no he's not the fastest but he can make difficult catches a lot of players can't. His time as a high jumper has definitely contributed towards his difficult catchmaking ability. 75 receptions, 911 Yards and 4 TD's, there ain't nothing wrong with those numbers in his first year. The San Francisco game, really showed the value he brings to the team for me. He was crucial with those 10 receptions and 190 yards receiving. There is a trust and understanding forming between him and Brady. So he's going nowhere as far as I'm concerned. But we have an ageing receiving corp and drafting a young WR with good developmental ability, is the priority in this years draft for me.

3r5hwl.jpg

^ ^ ^

The man with the million dollar smile. Amazing enough to make the catch, but to do it with such nonchalance makes that picture a classic imo.

Stumbled across this image today. Needless to say, I don't think I'll ever change my desktop background again.

Stumbled across this image today. Needless to say, I don't think I'll ever change my desktop background again.

What's the image? Because that only links to a webpage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

This one Id say :D

gillettestadiumofthenew.jpg

TO. wrote: »
    This one Id say :D

Gillette-Stadium-Of-The-New-England-Patriots-Wallpaper-WallpapersNFL.com.jpg

Still getting that same page full of NFL wallpapers. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Ah fook they don't allow hot linking. Click on New England Patriots and click on the image with Gillette and the fly by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭decies

Wake up people !! We have a game to win!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement