Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

We've also signed Jason Vega from the Winning Blue Bombers. Apparently a very productive DE/LB hybrid. Greg Bedard compared him to Rob Ninkovich. If he's half the big play machine Ninkovich is, we'll be doing well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Speaking of Ninkovich, for me he really has been our defensive player of the season.

taidghbaby wrote: »
    I said it in the Colt thread already but a few teams had Armstread in to have a look at him and I know the Colts made an offer to him too so he could be a good pick up for the Pats!

Good to hear that there seemed to be a fair few teams interested in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Speaking of Ninkovich, for me he really has been our defensive player of the season.

+1. Very consistent and made a lot of big plays!

Good interview with the Argonauts GM Jim Barker on what type of guy we're getting.
    What type of player are the Patriots getting?
    “They’re getting a 6-5, 280-pound active player who plays very smart. He plays with great leverage. He’s an above-average pass-rusher who plays the run well. He’s a solid all-around player, a phenomenal young man. As good a player as he is, he’s a better person. I think at a young age – he was 21 when he came up here – I think he grew a lot just living in another country on his own. I think his maturation level is going to be higher than if he were to come off a university campus. Not only a great player, but a fantastic person; he’ll be great in the community.”

Can you describe how Armond was utilized on defense with the Argonauts?
    “He was used for us both as a nose guard – he’s obviously not Vince Wilfork, that’s not what he does, he’s not a two-gap player in a 30 front – and 3 technique [outside shade on the guard]. He played on the edge some in the 30 front but not much. It wasn’t that he couldn’t do it, it’s that we didn’t play a lot of 30 front. He was moved around inside and was mainly an inside player for us. He ended up being named All-CFL as a rookie, which is very rare.”

How did you bring him to the Argonauts?
    “I went to USC myself, so I was aware of Armond’s story. When I saw that USC was not going to allow him to go through Pro Day, I put him on our negotiation list. I didn’t know all the details. We kind of went through the process. His agent is Don Yee, a good friend of mine, and we worked out that if in fact he can play, this might be the best solution for him to come to Canada. If things worked out at the end of the first year, he could either come back for a second year or we would allow him to go and pursue his dream if he was ready for that. This was just a rare, once-in-a-lifetime case. I don’t think it’s very often where an NFL team can get a first-round pick without using a first-round pick. When he came up, about the second or third day of training camp, I told somebody on our coaching staff ‘this guy is going to be the highest paid guy out of Canada ever.’ The details of his [contract] I’m not sure, but from everything I understand, that in case is the fact. We’ve had some good players from our league go down and be very successful – Cam Wake, Jeff Garcia, Doug Flutie. This guy is young and his best years are ahead of him. He just fits the mold of the type of player the Patriots look for – high character, great athlete, still growing into being a great pro football player.”

One article framed this past year in the CFL for him as one that he had to show that medical issues weren’t a factor in his career. From your understanding of it, does that seem like a fair characterization?
    “Yeah, I think when you’re dealing with a heart attack, and dealing with those kind of things – if in fact that’s what it was; there are a lot of legal issues going on about what really happened. I don’t really know. None of that made any difference to us. We brought him up and doctors and our cardiologist put him through a battery of what we do in Canada, which obviously is extensive. Our doctors gave him the go-ahead that he was fine to play and he not only played 23 games, but he never missed a practice. There was never any kind of an issue at all when it came to whatever the issue happened to be with him at USC.”

How would you characterize the interest from NFL teams over the course of the season?
    “I can say he was highly sought-after. The players up in our league are different, because it’s a different game. We’re more of a space game. For Armond, he’s not going to have that yard off the ball. It’s a much tighter game in the NFL. Some of the things we look for, there are players who play in the NFL that couldn’t play up here. There are some different skill sets, but in certain positions and areas there is obviously carry-over. We have a phenomenal group of players up here. I would say we get more and more [NFL] teams every year come through. The teams that are very thorough come through and do a real good job and they know all the players in our league, as they should – just like we have to go down and we scout all 32 NFL teams. On an NFL roster, we’re not going to get the people who are going to make their team, but there are a lot of guys they have in training camp who can’t play for us. In fact, over half of them probably can’t play for us, but we have to go down and scout them. That’s what good teams in our league do, just like the best teams in [the NFL] do up here. There is a good relationship between the two leagues. We honor each other’s contracts. It’s a good relationship.”

Did anything stand out to you from a Patriots perspective in their pursuit, or was it more standard business?
    “It came down to which team had the most to sell, and what Armond was looking for. I think this year, being on a Grey Cup champion, we went out last year and traded for Ricky Ray – one of the top quarterbacks in the league – and I think Armond saw how important it was having a team that was going to compete to win Super Bowls. There were a lot of teams that were after him. I think he sifted through and it came down to – obviously money to an extent, but I think there were a lot of other factors for Armond. He’s young, he knows he’s going to make plenty of money, and I think being involved in a winning organization is very important to him. I know he was looking very, very closely at four or five teams that were right there, and he made the decision that was best for he and his family.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Ninkovich reminds me a little of Mike Vrabel, although not as physical.

He's not the most talented guy on the team, but he gives 100% on every snap he gets and fights to the ball.
    He's got a great head on his shoulders, just wish he was a little quicker or a little bigger....

Armstead is a great pickup. That's like getting an extra 2nd round pick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

he really has come from no where to be one of the bigger performers for the defence. one of a typical amount of patriots players stories, drafted late by a team that didnt use him much, on and off waivers and then becomes a big time player at Foxboro. His stock really has risen in the 3 seasons he has been at the Patriots.

BizzyC wrote: »
    Ninkovich reminds me a little of Mike Vrabel, although not as physical.

He's not the most talented guy on the team, but he gives 100% on every snap he gets and fights to the ball.
    He's got a great head on his shoulders, just wish he was a little quicker or a little bigger....

He has a great talent for finding the ball, forcing the fumble and then very often, he recovers them. His nine recoveries of opponents’ fumbles over the last three seasons are the most by any defensive player during that time. This season, he was tied for second in the league with four recoveries and forced five fumbles.

Up until this season, Rob was mainly deployed as an outside linebacker and at 250 his size was bigger for the average player in that role. Then this season he's moved to DE where he is clearly undersized for the role. yet this move has been a stroke of genius imo, as his stats have proven for 2012. No he won't physically dominate guys with his size at DE, but he has outplayed them with his good hands, good technique, a quick game brain and alertness. His 'hustling' ability is just top notch for me.

You know at Purdue, he has two TD's playing at TE, a sign of the guy's versatility. A perfect Patriot hybrid alright, but sometimes the downside of a player like this is they can play A,B, or C but you can miss their true potential. This season we got Ninkovich playing in a role he really loves and has thrived in. I think if we do move him back to OLB for 2013 he won't be as effective.

bruschi wrote: »
    he really has come from no where to be one of the bigger performers for the defence. one of a typical amount of patriots players stories, drafted late by a team that didnt use him much, on and off waivers and then becomes a big time player at Foxboro. His stock really has risen in the 3 seasons he has been at the Patriots.

As I said in the last post, I think the coming from nowhere part is really more to do with him being played in a role he has really thrived in. At times,he just outwits and out hustles bigger opponents with his great nose for finding the ball.

I agree completely regarding his ability to get to the ball, but I still think he's lacking a little physically.
    If he was a little faster, he could be a great OLB, a little bigger and he'd be a great DE.

Even though we did a great job on turnovers this year, fumbles in particular, we didn't get to the QB enough.
    Physically Ninkovich is a little lacking to be a top pass rusher.

• Advertisement

I see there's a little surprise waiting for loyal Patriot fans and season ticket holders when the phone rings these days..
    "Hi, this is Tom Brady calling. On behalf of the entire Patriots organization, I want to thank you for the tremendous support you showed our team this past season. Your enthusiasm and passion in the stadium really motivated me and the team on game day. Thanks for being our 12th man on the field. As a season-ticket holder you help provide the foundation for our team's success and we look forward to welcoming you back in 2013."

A nice touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

The Ed Reed rumours/trolling seems to be gathering pace:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/blitz/2013/01/ed_reed_could_definitely_see_himself_playing_bill_belichick

Ravens safety Ed Reed has all the respect in the world for Bill Belichick, and that sentiment is well-known to be mutual.
    So could Reed, who is scheduled to be a free agent this offseason, see himself playing for Belichick some day?
    "Yeah, oh yeah, man, I could definitely play for coach Belichick," Reed responded. "He is a great coach. I'm sure he can help me to expand my football knowledge even more as a player and as a coach, so if I'm ever able to be around him, just like I was at the Pro Bowl, it's huge.
    "It's the reason why I wear my sweater cut off a little bit. He's the first guy I saw like, 'That's cool.' You know, that's cool. He cuts those sweater sleeves, and he'll be comfortable. So there's a reason why. Most people will tell you around the facility that's how I look. It's just a blessing to even have met, to know coach Belichick."
    More in tomorrow's Herald.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd have liked to see Ed Reed play for the Patriots even three years ago but not now. The guy is getting on and is not the same player he once was.

You kidding?
    Our secondary needs all the help it can get if we're going to win next year.

We're missing a leader in the secondary, as an individual player his stock may be dropping, but his presence would be a huge boost to our defence.

Not a solution but a year from him would be nice. He certainly didn't do us any favours when we played him :(. But I suspect his recent comments are directed more at the Ravens front office, rather than any genuine desire to play for us next season.

Rather keep Talib than get Reed tbh. We've had more success plugging in players at safety than we have at corner. I'd rather keep the guy we know makes a big difference than the guy we hope might make one.

Talib has to be signed but I am concerned about potential durability issues. He seems to have had nagging hamstring and hip injuries for several years now. He has also never managed to play a full a season since he entered the league in 2008. And this year was his worst so far, managing a total of 10 games between us and the Buccs. And we all know his injury jinx struck again, at the worst possible time for us against the Ravens. So his 64 games since 2008 @ 10.6 games a season worries me.

Yesterday was Rob Ninkovich's birthday and I came across this happy birthday photo from a Pats fan. :D

482984_10151414648302372_91318164_n.jpg

Happier times from earlier in the season.

Congrats to Bill Parcells for getting inducted into The Pro Football Hall Of Fame.

18511_10151421214107372_2094812590_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I wonder if Shannon sharpe had anything to say about Jim harbaugh skipping his CBS interview?

• Advertisement

I wonder if Shannon sharpe had anything to say about Jim harbaugh skipping his CBS interview?

Of course not. And he had also nothing to say about the high praise John Harbaugh gave Bill, when he spoke about what Bill said to him after AFC title game.

Of course not. And he had also nothing to say about the high praise John Harbaugh gave Bill, when he spoke about what Bill said to him after AFC title game.
    I wouldn't expect anything else from him.

I dunno about ye but I struggled to enjoy last nights game. I've no love for either team or coach, no dog in the fight and no one to root against for the first time in ten years.

I dunno about ye but I struggled to enjoy last nights game. I've no love for either team or coach, no dog in the fight and no one to root against for the first time in ten years.

I did enjoy the game and I was rooting for the Ravens. Ya there are some classless scumbags on that team that no Pats fan should give the time of day. But there are also some great players on that team that deserved a possible last chance at some glory.

But I wouldn't have lost any sleep if the 49'ers won, I'm also glad to see the title go to an AFC team. It's frustrating to think we had destiny in our own hands and squandered it. The clock is ticking on Brady and Belichick and we really can't afford to keep throwing away these opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Reports saying the pats are reluctant to offer Talib a long-term deal because of his work ethic, he didn't take the chance to extra work sometimes. Hopefully the kool-aid worked well enough that he'll take a one year deal.

I've heard those work ethic reports alright, but at the end of the day he did have a very positive impact on the secondary. I'm more concerned about his durability after I checked back on his injury record and the games he missed. A one year deal is probably most likely, whether he'll accept it is another matter. But give me Talib starting at CB any day as opposed to Kyle 'pass interference' Arrington.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd like to see the Pats get Trufant in the draft even if it means moving up. I'd also like to see them get somebody at SS and in the second round if they could get Elam from Florida and we all know Bill likes Gators.

After that a developmental WR and take a gamble on some kid to play opposite Jones at DE/OLB.

I would love to see us pick up Jonathan Cyprien in the 2nd or 3rd (do we have a 3rd this year?). SS at Florida International, he had a very, very impressive senior bowl that has cemented a strong year for him. He's someone we'll see moving up draft boards Im sure as it draws near.

I would love to see us pick up Jonathan Cyprien in the 2nd or 3rd (do we have a 3rd this year?).

Four picks available in this years draft - 1st Round, 2nd Round, 3rd Round and the 7th Round.

Agent Gronk busy tapping up Brady's eventual successor. Good work Gronk, good work :cool:

original.png

• Advertisement

Agent Gronk busy tapping up Brady's eventual successor. Good work Gronk, good work :cool:

I hope he's better at tapping up than dancing. That video was embarrassing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement