Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It may not be broken, but the offence has failed come playoff time in the recent years. The defense doesn't help, but the offence is where we've invested and it's been nullified in the big games in the playoffs when we play the big teams.

We currently go into next season with the No1 ranked regular season offence, but I'm not sure that's the case come playoff time.

Of course it'd be great if our defense was good enough to enable us to win 10:6 in those games, but it's not, and I'm not sure that we can draft/trade our way to having that good a defense this year or next year (cause after that there will be no Tom Brady, then we'll be in trouble offensively).

Now, in saying all that; a fit Gronk for the last two years in the playoffs could have resulted in two SB wins (particularly last season's SB) :)
    We were third best in the postseason and the best passing team in the playoffs.

The problem is that you are going to lose a game here and there and unfortunately for us we lost to a Ravens team which was inspired by the Ray Lewis retirement.

There is nothing wrong with the offense, the D has to improve. It it improves we score more because we are on the field more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

He's a starter for next season, so this could be very important.

Aside from what happened Dennard on that infamous night, he's always been known as a pretty good, decent kid. So what allegedly happened shocked a lot of people who know him like coaches and friend ect. Totally out of character, then witnesses have also claimed the police were way ott and grabbed Dennard from behind when he then lashed out when blindsided. Regardless, I think it will work out O.K. I loved when we drafted him last year and he surpassed my expectations in his first season. If he improves on his rookie season, then it will only mean good things for our secondary.

Here is a game from way back in full. Bledsoe was incredible that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

eagle eye wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with the offense, the D has to improve. It it improves we score more because we are on the field more often.

Week 2 against the Cardinals had me really worried. The state of the defense means that the offense needs 25-30pts to win games, and that tough to keep doing. It's even tougher in the post-season.

So I wold agree that if the defense can improve so that 15-20pts is enough to win, then I'll all for that.
    I'm just not sure that it can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Completely forgot about Demps....

If they teach him to run deep routes....

• Advertisement

This was the 29 yard run Demps made in preseason, that I was referring to yesterday....
    As Patriots running back Jeff Demps exploded through the middle of the offensive line and made a Buccaneers safety whiff, the football world finally caught a glimpse of what track aficionados have already known.

That kid can burn.

Demps’ 29-yard run was one of the highlights on a night that didn’t have many for the Patriots, who lost to the Bucs, 30-28. It was tied for the longest play of the game, and it was an attention grabber

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2012/08/jeff_demps_stands_out_big_run_returns

At 5'7 I can't see him doing much on deep routes though. I'm also not sure what his hands are like, so it will be interesting to see him during the preseason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I'm also not sure what his hands are like, so it will be interesting to see him during the preseason.

His hands are surprisingly good, or at least they were in college. He was a YAC monster, which you just know Brady will absolutely love.

eagle eye wrote: »

I agree EE, but the thing that worries me about the offense was how it totally misfired against the Ravens. I'm sure we realise that we are not going launch repeated scoring drives, against the best red zone defense in the league. But as the best offense in the league, we should expect to be scoring every other drive or two. But what happened against the Ravens was unheard of, totally shut out of the game offensively in the second half. Not one score, that hasn't happened for quite a while. Oh they got the field position but had a failure on execution. So what that tells me is when we really, really need our offense juggernaut to get into gear, it failed to do so. Now that worries me.

I don't know if any of you guys feel this way at times, but often If feel we make things too complex on offense. Sometimes having the smartest offense in the league can bite you. Take Vereen for example, he lit up the field against the Texans, he came of age and showed everyone what he could do. What an offense weapon to have, the ultimate nightmare who can burn you with a run or reception. But what do we do against the Ravens? We don't use him, ah no that would be too predictable. Sometimes I think our offense tries to be too clever for it's own good. Even worse and the greatest sin for me, is having a great offense that is underutilised at the wrong time.

The reason we love Gronk, look at the T-shirt...

bos_gronk32_cr_400.jpg

He is short for a deep threat, but his speed will force DB's to sit back.
    If they don't, he'll blow by them and wont need to out-jump anyone.

I'm not suggesting he could be a catch-in-traffic deep threat, but he could be handy in keeping defences honest.

• Advertisement

I don't know if any of you guys feel this way at times, but often If feel we make things too complex on offense. Sometimes having the smartest offense in the league can bite you. Take Vereen for example, he lit up the field against the Texans, he came of age and showed everyone what he could do. What an offense weapon to have, the ultimate nightmare who can burn you with a run or reception. But what do we do against the Ravens? We don't use him, ah no that would be too predictable. Sometimes I think our offense tries to be too clever for it's own good. Even worse and the greatest sin for me, is having a great offense that is underutilised at the wrong time.

I agree.
    We used to have more of a failover style about game plans.

Once a defence figures out how to stop what we're doing, then we show them this other thing we've been working on that they've never seen before...

Whereas now we seem to assume the tried and tested method wont work and create a brand new scheme without trying it...

For example, what the hell happened to the quick offence?
    It was burning defences consistently, but we started doing it less and less.
    No one actually managed to shut it down, but we still moved away from it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Pats Players Cap Hits:

QB Tom Brady: $21,800,000
    DLVince Wilfork: $10,600,000
    G Logan Mankins: $10,000,000
    LB Jerod Mayo: $5,600,000
    WR Brandon Lloyd: $4,500,000
    TE Aaron Hernandez: $4,073,000
    K Stephen Gostkowski: $3,400,000
    C/G Dan Connolly: $3,333,333
    DE Rob Ninkovich: $3,066,668
    TE Rob Gronkowski: $2,750,000
    S Steve Gregory: $2,558,333
    OT Nate Solder: $2,329,225
    WR Matthew Slater: $2,266,666
    G Brian Waters: $2,225,000
    DE Chandler Jones: $1,857,613
    DB Devin McCourty: $1,845,000
    LB Dont'a Hightower: $1,755,455
    TE Daniel Fells: $1,583,333
    CB Ras-I Dowling: $1,446,572
    P Zoltan Mesko: $1,369,814
    DT Kyle Love: $1,100,000
    C Ryan Wendell: $1,015,000
    DE Jermaine Cunningham: $960,000
    S Tavon Wilson: $958,613
    RB Shane Vereen: $943,950
    FB Spencer Larsen: $875,000
    LB Brandon Spikes: $870,000
    RB Stevan Ridley: $805,500
    QB Ryan Mallett: $803,953
    C/G Nick McDonald: 656,668
    DL Brandon Deaderick: $640,075
    OL Marcus Cannon: $637,687
    DE Marcus Benard: $630,000
    DL Myron Pryor: $630,000
    LB Dane Fletcher: $620,000
    DE Jake Bequette: $619,950
    QB Mike Kafka: $555,000
    TE Jake Ballard: $555,000
    WR Andre Holmes: $555,000
    LB Jeff Tarpinian: $555,000
    LS Danny Aiken: $555,000
    S Nate Ebner: $504,150
    CB Alfonzo Dennard: $494,462
    LB Mike Rivera: $490,000
    RB Brandon Bolden: $485,000
    OL Markus Zusevics: $484,333
    DE Justin Francis: $482,333
    FB James Develin: $480,000
    DL Marcus Forston: $480,000
    WR Kamar Aiken: $480,000
    DB Malcolm Williams: $480,000
    RB Jeff Demps: $408,666
    OL Kyle Hix: $408,000
    TE Brad Herman: $405,833
    DL Armond Armstead: $405,000
    WR Jeremy Ebert: $405,000
    DL Tracy Roberston: $405,000
    Total: $111,299,185
    (Contract information for defensive end Jason Vega not yet available).

Players i see possibly getting cut:

G Logan Mankins: $10,000,000 - Highly doubtful - he has a huge cap number and he is no longer a standout guy on the OLine...has his play been that much better than Solder, Vollmer, Wendell and Connolly to justify 1.5x their salary combined?

WR Brandon Lloyd: $4,500,000 - Possible - A lot for an above average WR. I hope he stays and makes improves on his above average season of last year

K Stephen Gostkowski: $3,400,000 - Very Possible - Extremely inconsistent this season and cost us games. When he lost a season and Shane Graham came on a veteran minimum, he outplayed him. His kickoffs also aren't as valuable as they used to be with the shortened field. I could very easily see him get cut in the off-season and us bringing in 2 vets on the minimum and have them fight it for a spot.

S Steve Gregory: $2,558,333 - Possible - A lot for an average safety. His play was sub par this season, i think they give him one more season to see if he improves.

TE Daniel Fells: $1,583,333 - Gone

CB Ras-I Dowling: $1,446,572 - Possible - Seems very injury prone like he was in college. Could possibly be a talent but if he cant stay healthy whats the point? I'd say he'll be given his shot in training camp to make the team.

Hazys wrote: »
    Players i see possibly getting cut:

Agreed with your choices, and I'd like to see Llyod stay for another season (unless we do get trade for a top WR).

Hazys wrote: »
    K Stephen Gostkowski: $3,400,000 - Very Possible - Extremely inconsistent this season and cost us games. When he lost a season and Shane Graham came on a veteran minimum, he outplayed him. His kickoffs also aren't as valuable as they used to be with the shortened field. I could very easily see him get cut in the off-season and us bringing in 2 vets on the minimum and have them fight it for a spot.

Keep in mind that $800,000 of this would be dead money, and the new salary cap rules mean that we'd also have to absorb his 2014 guaranteed amount in 2013 (another $800,000). Factor in the ~ $1m you'd be paying his replacement and you're only saving less than $1m. Thanks, but no thanks - I'd rather keep Gostkowski for another year in that case. More likely to be cut next year seeing as there'd be only $800k in dead money and factoring in the increases in Hernandez/Gronk's base salaries following their signings.

Keep in mind that $800,000 of this would be dead money, and the new salary cap rules mean that we'd also have to absorb his 2014 guaranteed amount in 2013 (another $800,000). Factor in the ~ $1m you'd be paying his replacement and you're only saving less than $1m. Thanks, but no thanks - I'd rather keep Gostkowski for another year in that case. More likely to be cut next year seeing as there'd be only $800k in dead money and factoring in the increases in Hernandez/Gronk's base salaries following their signings.

Ya i don't know the full extent of each contract. I'd be very surprised if we were able to cut Mankins and get a clean break on the $10m

I would say it's much more likely we keep Mankins and let Vollmer walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Any idea what will happen with Waters this year.

Masked Man wrote: »
    Any idea what will happen with Waters this year.

We'll either trade him or cut him. We offered him $4 million last year and he wouldn't report, and that's when our O-line was looking dodgy during preseason. It got a hell of a lot better as the season progressed so I can't see us going back to him now.

We'll either trade him or cut him. We offered him $4 million last year and he wouldn't report, and that's when our O-line was looking dodgy during preseason. It got a hell of a lot better as the season progressed so I can't see us going back to him now.

Or we'll do what we did last year and put him on the failed to report list, where the Pats don't pay him and he cant go anywhere else.

If we cut him, he'll be on the Texans roster the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Waters wanted to play in Texas. The Pats wouldn't release him so he didnt play. He's a FA now and won't be coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

He's a FA now and won't be coming back.

Nope.

BizzyC wrote: »
    For example, what the hell happened to the quick offence?

God knows, there were so many times when we could have gone no huddle and fried teams, yet we didn't. The one team no one wants to see go no huddle is the Pats and yet inexplicably when we should have at times, we didn't.

Masked Man wrote: »

That's good for the Pats.
    He does hold some trade value, but maybe only for Cowboys/Texans.

I would say it's much more likely we keep Mankins and let Vollmer walk.

For a man who came back from back issues, Vollmer has been a rock on the O line. I don't think the Pats are stupid enough to let either of those guys go tbh.

For a man who came back from back issues, Vollmer has been a rock on the O line. I don't think the Pats are stupid enough to let either of those guys go tbh.
    Its all coming down to money with Vollmer. If a big offer comes in for him then he will be gone. I don't think they are going for franchise him because of his injury history.

It's not a case of letting him go because he's not good enough, it's a case of spreading our cap space around. You can't invest too much in one area of the field and we already have a lot invested in the O-line. I'd rather stick Cannon or a vet free agent in at RT and spend our limited cap space on Talib/Welker than spend a big chunk of it on Vollmer. Let's just say I trust Dante Scarnecchia compensating for a lack of Vollmer a hell of a lot more than I trust Patricia/Boyer compensating for a lack of Talib.

I trust Dante Scarnecchia compensating for a lack of Vollmer a hell of a lot more than I trust Patricia/Boyer compensating for a lack of Talib.

Scarnecchia is a genuine coaching legend and he will always work his magic with the O line. So no matter who goes, he will cover the gaps. But after a season of tinkering, I'd rather let the O line starters we have stick together. Nobody can cover Solder at LT if he goes down, the way Vollmer can. He played pretty well for a guy with back issues and that will be the issue that will decide it in the end I think. The veteran free agency is a path I'd stay clear off. We made a lot of poor selections on picks from last year.

Anyone have any opinions on Steve Gregory? I was generally disappointed with him. I was hoping he would have a 'Talib' style of effect on the secondary, but he didn't and he had a few bad games along the way. His attitude is top notch though. I think he's staying around again this off season to get a head start at next year. But since it is very unlikely that Chung will be back, I can't see Gregory going anywhere right now.

• Advertisement

Terrence McGee dropped by Buffalo.

If healthy, he could provide an interesting pickup...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement