Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

BizzyC wrote: »
    Terrence McGee dropped by Buffalo.

If healthy, he could provide an interesting pickup...

I wouldn't touch him, way to injury prone. Averaged 7.3 games a season for the last three seasons and the last time he had a double digit season (11 games) was in 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I wouldn't touch him, way to injury prone. Averaged 7.3 games a season for the last three seasons and the last time he had a double digit season (11 games) was in 2009.
    Exactly, he could come very cheap....

Defo wouldn't look at him as a starter, he'll never be one again.
    But his experience could be very handy to come off the bench in spells and he'd provide some veteran leadership in a very leadership-deprived area of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

BizzyC wrote: »
    Exactly, he could come very cheap....

Defo wouldn't look at him as a starter, he'll never be one again.
    But his experience could be very handy to come off the bench in spells and he'd provide some veteran leadership in a very leadership-deprived area of the team.
    McGee is done, I doubt that any team will pick him up. He may get a shot as camp fodder but thats it. No way the Patriots would take him.

Looking forward to see Jake Ballard lining up next season after getting him off waivers from the Giants. Reports are saying he's made good progress with the knee injury. I didn't realise that we also control his rights for 2014. Apparently he won't qualify as an unrestricted free agent until after 2014, because he doesn't have enough games under his belt in his rookie campaign. He's on a base salary of $630,000 for 2013 and having him tied up for 2014, makes it some very, very smart work by the Patriots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Dennard found guilty of felony assualt on a cop. Woops.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/20/4009154/alfonzo-dennard-guilty-assault-patriots

• Advertisement

Have just seen it, pretty shocking stuff, even a proscecution witness said Denanrd was surprised and grabbed from behind by a plain clothes officer.
    Prosecutors said after the verdict was read that they were not recommending a sentence, the World-Herald reported, adding that typical sentence for a crime like assaulting an officer range from probation (no jail time) to 180 days behind bars.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots

So after all this, the prosectuion aren't recommending a sentence for Dennard. Maybe they're just happy to have covered their asses with a bullshít conviction. So will the Dennard team appeal or leave it be, hoping the judge will heed the prosecution recommendation for no sentencing? I just hope we have our boy ready for next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Madness if he gets jail time for throwing a single punch.

I've seen people throw punches in a bar and not even get kicked out of the establishment.

Dennard was a fool for throwing the punch but i think he is massively unlucky that the incident has escalated this far.

Have just seen it, pretty shocking stuff, even a proscecution witness said Denanrd was surprised and grabbed from behind by a plain clothes officer.

TBH i thought he would get off also.

There was no evidence of the punch just Dennard's and a witness' word against 2 cops (one of which said he saw no punch but changed his mind when the case went to court). Seems like BS to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Hopefully he gets off and is back in time for you guys. Knowing Goodell though he'll probably be suspended.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Hopefully he gets off and is back in time for you guys. Knowing Goodell though he'll probably be suspended.

It'd be surprising and stupid for Goodell to try and suspend him. Firstly, he wasn't a part of the NFL when the incident occurred and Secondly, Kendrick Ellis of the Jets committed a more serious crime and served jail time before he entered the NFL and no suspension.

If Goodell did suspend him, the NFLPA would just appeal, I'd see no gorunds for the suspension to be upheld.

• Advertisement

I think April the 11th is the sentencing date in court and with the uncertainty surrounding Dennard. It is very likely now that Talib will probably get franchise tagged by the Pats. Potentially losing one of our best players in the secondary is bad enough, so we can't afford to lose Talib also.

Vollmer had knee surgery on Wednesday...
    A league source told Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald that the New England Patriots' right tackle underwent an arthroscopic procedure on his knee after it caused him trouble through most of last season. He also suffered through back pain, but he missed just one game for a Patriots line that protected quarterback Tom Brady well throughout the campaign.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000143681/article/report-patriots-sebastian-vollmer-has-knee-surgery

Makes the good job he did protecting Brady even more impressive, especially in the light of this revelation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gronkastic

Been a long, long time lurker on this site and as a life long Pats fan I think it's high time I participated in AF forum.

Anyone have any opinions on Steve Gregory? I was generally disappointed with him. I was hoping he would have a 'Talib' style of effect on the secondary, but he didn't and he had a few bad games along the way. His attitude is top notch though. I think he's staying around again this off season to get a head start at next year. But since it is very unlikely that Chung will be back, I can't see Gregory going anywhere right now.

That Kinda sums up how I feel about Gregory, he had some pretty bad games but Talib's arrival and McCourty moving to Safety helped him. Maybe with a season under his belt he will do better in 2013. But Chung has to go, he contributed nothing last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Welcome Gronkastic :)

Gronkastic wrote: »
    Been a long, long time lurker on this site and as a life long Pats fan I think it's high time I participated in AF forum.

Welcome aboard and love the username. :D

Wow didn't see this coming:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/25/patriots-tom-brady-agree-to-three-year-27-million-extension/

Looks like the Pats will have more money over the next two years to spend on our FAs...looks good for Wes Welker...
    The upshot of the deal is to give the Patriots massive cap relief in a flat-cap era. He was due to count $43.6 million on the New England salary cap in 2013 and 2014. Now, his cap numbers will add up to $28.6 million in the next two years, a savings of $15 million in cap dollars at a time the Patriots have free agents they want to sign to help keep the team atop the AFC East, which they have dominated since Brady took over at quarterback in 2001.

TB you're the man!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Hazys wrote: »
    Wow didn't see this coming:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/25/patriots-tom-brady-agree-to-three-year-27-million-extension/

Looks like the Pats will have more money over the next two years to spend on our FAs...looks good for Wes Welker...

Wouldn't be surprised if Welker was part of the motivation by Brady to re-structure.

TO. wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if Welker was part of the motivation by Brady to re-structure.

Basically Brady is giving money out of his pocket straight into Welker's

Man love for TFB reaching unprecedented levels.

Its mind blowing from Brady, the guy cares more about winning than money...its unprecedented in modern sports and he has not only done it once but twice.

Check that, is unprecedented in any workplace in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

One thing I will say people can bad mouth Tom and the Patriots all they want but you wont get many Top Earners and future HOF guys re-structuring massive contracts to enable the team to keep other players on board. And watch others come in and tell me such and such did it. But this isnt the first time Brady has done this. And others wonder why we are proud to be Pats fans when the Pats breed attitudes like Brady and others over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He is the greatest in my book when you put all he has done in his career on the field and all the stuff he has done off for the team as well. A true legend of the game, a storybook character.

If we manage to keep Talib, Welker and Vollmer, I'll be over the moon.

Potentially enough money to go out and make a big statement acquisition in free agency too. Cannot wait for it now.

I'm so gay for Tom Brady right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Wow fair play to Brady. He really wants another SB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Selfless and doing it for the team. About as New England Patriot-esque as you can get. Other players should follow his example. Greed is rampant in the NFL and this is heart-warming to see. Plus, Tom Brady y'know. Great move, love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I did see this coming....
    From me and @FieldYates: Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski underwent surgery last week for an infection in same forearm he re-broke against Houston

Rob Gronkowski's elbow infection was caught early enough that he is likely not miss any extended time and is expected to be for camp.

You just know certain sections of the media are going to love this and make a big deal out of the partying even though he supposedly won't miss any time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

I think we owe a little thanks to Gisele as well.

Just when you thought Brady couldn't go and possibly earn any more love and respect from us fans, he does. It's always about the team and the greater good with Tom, the man is the embodiment of the Patriot Way. In the free agency era where mercenaries go to the highest bidder, Brady stands a class apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I was amazed when I read that this morning. Amazing from Brady, when you see the numbers being mentioned for QB contracts and he is willing to take less then 14 million a year just so that the Pats can hold onto other key players. It's superb and shows that for some people winning matters more than anything else.

I know that a lot of people will say "well he's earned enough in his career to do this" but there's plenty more guys that wouldnt even contemplate leaving money at the negotiating table. Really hope that the Pats can sign one or two players in free agency now so that Brady is rewarded for his attitude

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement