Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I haven't even been looking at who's available in free agency as I didn't expect us to make any big splashes. I was just focused on keeping the big three, and Edelman if we could.

I can now take a sneaky look at who might be available come the 3 o'clock slump today! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I haven't even been looking at who's available in free agency as I didn't expect us to make any big splashes. I was just focused on keeping the big three, and Edelman if we could.

I can now take a sneaky look at who might be available come the 3 o'clock slump today! :D

I'd like to see you's make a run at Wallace. Not to offer him wild money but just to say "we'll give you a four year deal worth 7-8 million a year with escalators if you hit x yards, pro bowl, tds, superbowls etc" to make you a downfield threat to compliment Welker in the intermediate and our TEs" Obviously the Pats also need some help elsewhere but an offence with Brady throwing to Welker in the slot and Wallace and Lloyd on the outside with Gronk and Hernandez inside would be an amazing offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gronkastic

Only just theard about Brady's amazing gesture, what a guy, words just fail me. After what he did last year, we had no right to expect anything more from him. But like our neighbourhood postman, Tommy always delivers for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Just to put what Brady has done in context, Manning's deal in Denver is potentailly worth $96 million dollars. Manning will earn more money in the next 3 years ($58 million dollars), than Brady will for the next 5 years ($57 million dollars). So compared to manning's deal, Brady is bascially giving us 2 years for free.

That is just unbelievable, what an example to set. Great leadership and self sacrifice from a guy who always puts the team first. Really refreshing to see his will to win and hunger for success, supercede any monetary gain.

This was posted on Brady's Facebook page yesterday, moments after the deal was announced...

gyj_bor_rou.jpg

Love it.:D

• Advertisement

Just to put what Brady has done in context, Manning's deal in Denver is potentailly worth $96 million dollars. Manning will earn more money in the next 3 years ($58 million dollars), than Brady will for the next 5 years ($57 million dollars). So compared to manning's deal, Brady is bascially giving us 2 years for free.

That is just unbelievable, what an example to set. Great leadership and self sacrifice from a guy who always puts the team first. Really refreshing to see his will to win and hunger for success, supercede any monetary gain.

A better context to put it in to show how amazing a gesture it is -

2013: Tom Brady, Greatest QB of all time, 3 year extension, $28 million
    2012: Mark Sanchez, first ever Buttfumble, 3 year extension, $40 million

:D

A better context to put it in to show how amazing a gesture it is -

2013: Tom Brady, Greatest QB of all time, 3 year extension, $28 million
    2012: Mark Sanchez, first ever Buttfumble, 3 year extension, $40 million

:D

Thanks pal, I just sprayed coffee all over my monitor when I read that. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Rumour mill hard at it around the league at the moment suggesting Brady is taking side deals to compensate for the small contract. Usual nonsense from the haters. Because it doesn't make sense to other agents, players and coaches that Brady will only earn 27m over 3 seasons of course there has to be some other reason behind it. Does it ever end with the nonsense. and even if there is some side deals who gives a fook. It happens all over the NFL and is not against the rules. A gap in the system if you will.

frostie500 wrote: »
    I'd like to see you's make a run at Wallace. Not to offer him wild money but just to say "we'll give you a four year deal worth 7-8 million a year with escalators if you hit x yards, pro bowl, tds, superbowls etc" to make you a downfield threat to compliment Welker in the intermediate and our TEs" Obviously the Pats also need some help elsewhere but an offence with Brady throwing to Welker in the slot and Wallace and Lloyd on the outside with Gronk and Hernandez inside would be an amazing offence.

Thing is if we take Wallace Lloyd will be out the door. Keeping Welker and Lloyd seems to be the better option. Now Lloyd has started to Earn Brady's trust. Could you imagine if Wallace comes in and we lose Lloyd and trust issues happen all over again.

I don't believe the Pats could ever have more than a couple of Impact WR on their roster excluding the TEs because it seems Brady finds it hard trusting guys. Wallace+Welker+Lloyd would be awesome but it will never work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

TO. wrote: »
    Thing is if we take Wallace Lloyd will be out the door. Keeping Welker and Lloyd seems to be the better option. Now Lloyd has started to Earn Brady's trust. Could you imagine if Wallace comes in and we lose Lloyd and trust issues happen all over again.

I don't believe the Pats could ever have more than a couple of Impact WR on their roster excluding the TEs because it seems Brady finds it hard trusting guys. Wallace+Welker+Lloyd would be awesome but it will never work.

Yeah that's probably true but Id just like to see Brady running the offence with two legit speed threats at WR and then Welker and the TEs making the plays in the underneath and intermediate range. I hope at the least that the Pats use the money on one or two defensive playmakers over the next couple of offseasons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

This means one thing is very likely, Wes will be staying.

It may also mean one of the following:
    • Llyod is gone, and we will go for Harvin/Wallace
    • Llyod, Volmer and Talib stay, plus a possible high free agent signing
    • Ed Reed (1yr) and another trade/free-agent become possible targets to improve the defense (and we stick with the current offence)
    This is a big deal for the Pats, and really does open a few options in free agency.

Brady's contract is reported to have a 30m signing bonus.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4740303/details-of-tom-bradys-new-deal
    The details are in for quarterback Tom Brady's new contract, laid out below.

The deal includes a $30 million signing bonus for the quarterback, which will be paid out over a period that extends to March 15, 2015, according to a league source. Brady will earn $10 million of that signing bonus during the 2013 season, $5 million in a payment on February 15, 2014, $10 million during the 2014 season, and $5 million on February 15, 2015.

Brady's salary for 2013 and 2014 are now $1 million and $2 million respectively, and are fully guaranteed. His old deal was scheduled to pay him $9.75 million in base salary for each of those seasons.

Brady's salary for 2015, 2016, 2017 are $7 million, $8 million, and $9 million, which are fully guaranteed for injury only. That means that if Brady is released because of an injury, he will still be paid that money. In the unlikely event that he were released due to skill considerations, he would not be paid that money.

Regarding Brady's salary cap charges, the breakdown is as follows:

2013: $13.8 million
    2014: $14.8 million
    2015: $13 million
    2016: $14 million
    2017: $15 million

The annual salaries for the final three years as well as the salary cap charges for the life of the contract are consistent with what has been laid out already, though the $30 million signing bonus is of note.

In examining the life of the contract, it's a five-year deal with a maximum value of $57 million, $33 million of which is guaranteed no matter what, with the $24 million leftover likely to be seen should Brady continue to perform at his expected level.

I have to agree, it takes time to bed a player into the Patriots complex offense, Ocho being a prime example. I can't understand some commentators who seem to put down Lloyd and discount what he did last season. I mean 911 Yards, 70 recepetions and 4 TD's is a pretty good season for anyone. He was never meant to be Moss 2.0, but he has excellent athleticism and makes difficult catches most WR's just couldn't make. Brady really targetted Lloyd in the 49'ers game and he stepped up with 10 receptions for 190 Yards. So with the year under his belt and another good preseason prep, there's no reason why he can't build on a very solid platform.

Draft a talented young developmental WR, instead of forking out big money in FA. We will have Jake Ballard coming back from injury and he's a virtual mini-Gronk. I can't wait to see Ballard, Gronk and Hernandez lining up for a set on the field. We have the best offense in the league, so I'd much rather see the money spent on strenghtening the secondary.

I have to agree, it takes time to bed a player into the Patriots complex offense, Ocho being a prime example. I can't understand some commentators who seem to put down Lloyd and discount what he did last season. I mean 911 Yards, 70 recepetions and 4 TD's is a pretty good season for anyone. He was never meant to be Moss 2.0, but he has excellent athleticism and makes difficult catches most WR's just couldn't make. Brady really targetted Lloyd in the 49'ers game and he stepped up with 10 receptions for 190 Yards. So with the year under his belt and another good preseason prep, there's no reason why he can't build on a very solid platform.

Draft a talented young developmental WR, instead of forking out big money in FA. We will have Jake Ballard coming back from injury and he's a virtual mini-Gronk. I can't wait to see Ballard, Gronk and Hernandez lining up for a set on the field. We have the best offense in the league, so I'd much rather see the money spent on strenghtening the secondary.

Agreed. I do believe Talib will get paid or tagged and Welker will get his contract and we will keep Lloyd. This will give us more time and room to build on our defense. Strengthen up the secondary in the FA and Draft and try find another Pass rusher and then look for those fast WR who get missed every year. Plenty of them out there without having to draft high for them.

Agreed. I do believe Talib will get paid or tagged and Welker will get his contract and we will keep Lloyd. This will give us more time and room to build on our defense. Strengthen up the secondary in the FA and Draft and try find another Pass rusher and then look for those fast WR who get missed every year. Plenty of them out there without having to draft high for them.

Sounds like a good plan to me. With the uncertainty around Dennard, tagging Talib would be wise imo. Overall our needs are virtually the same as last year, strenghtening the defense and try and get a long, long overdue talented young WR with an ability the provide the deep threat. Oh and Vollmer must go nowhere, he did a good job last season while carrying two injuries. Even when not 100% he still impresses. Keeping him is a no-brainer for me.

Greg Bedard - who seems to have good sources in New England and is fairly reliable - has just thrown a spanner in the works.

Apparently Lloyd is likely to be let go. More on it here.

Disappointing if true. Felt the connection with Tom was coming along nicely, but if it's a personality thing then he has to go.

Greg Bedard - who seems to have good sources in New England and is fairly reliable - has just thrown a spanner in the works.

Disappointing if true. Felt the connection with Tom was coming along nicely, but if it's a personality thing then he has to go.

Shít, I also thought there was a bond developing between him and Brady. But if those reports are true, then it changes a lot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

yeah its a pity alright. I was so so on Lloyd, maybe I had much higher expectations of him or thought he was a solution to a deep problem, but I still thought he did well, and showed some superb athelticism in some of his plays. I also thought he handled himself on the field well, bar firing the ball at the ref in one game. He generally just picked himself up and ran back to the huddle regardless of what had happened in the previous play. Appearances can be deceptive I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Apparently he's got erratic/uneven personality issues and was difficult with coaches and teammates. Issues have been following him around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I'd listen to the Dennis & Callahan podcast earlier today. Bedard has reliable contacts.
    That $3m is a big deal if Llyod is to be kept.
    I just feel that Llyod isn't what the offence needs if there are improvements in free agency. Those great catches also include many drops, and very little after the catch yards.

• Advertisement

Bedard is always a solid source for all things Patriots, so if he's reporting these issues then it's not good at all. Maybe Lloyd being with his 6th team in 10 years should tell us something.

Now that Brady has set such a high standard and wonderful example, it could put pressure on some of the team to follow suite. I wonder would they offer the likes of Vince a 2 year extension and get some more cap space?

Now that Brady has set such a high standard and wonderful example, it could put pressure on some of the team to follow suite. I wonder would they offer the likes of Vince a 2 year extension and get some more cap space?

Best of luck to whoever they send to ask him. Probably some poor ****ing intern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Any time i've heard Lloyd being interviwed he comes across as a fairly decent/down-to-earth guy. 6 teams would always raise an eyebrow but i'm still a bit surprised at this but of course we're not privy to what goes on in training etc. Lloyd made some great catches but i don't think he does anough after contact anyways for this to be a huge deal in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Tom Brady

Every part of what I do depends on the group of guys I play with.

526256_511925982181890_28516760_n.jpg

Ya have to love the man.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gronkastic

I remember listening to PFW in progress last September/Octoberish and they were giving out about Lloyd. They said he seemed in a good mood during a post game interview in the locker room. But when they approached him to talk, his attitude suddenely changed for no reason and he got really thick. So they were calling him moody ect. I didn't pass to much heed of it tbh. But looking back now, they might have been onto something.

Gronkastic wrote: »
    I remember listening to PFW in progress last September/Octoberish and they were giving out about Lloyd.

Think I heard that show, Paul and Andy took a dislike to him big time after complaining about his bad attitude and changeable mood. Didn't pass to much heed of it myself at the time, but if his attitude is a reason he might be cut, then it would seem they were spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jeff Demps says he is returning to Athletics. He seems to want to make a go of it at both sports but thats not feasible for a professional football team so it looks like he is gone. I'm gutted, was really looking forward to watching him returning kicks. I felt he was going to add a new dimension to the Patriots STs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

eagle eye wrote: »
    Jeff Demps says he is returning to Athletics. He seems to want to make a go of it at both sports but thats not feasible for a professional football team so it looks like he is gone. I'm gutted, was really looking forward to watching him returning kicks. I felt he was going to add a new dimension to the Patriots STs.

Yea read that this morning. Did the Pats give up anything to get Demps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Yea read that this morning. Did the Pats give up anything to get Demps?
    No he was a udfa. Some stuff coming out now that he has no intention of leaving football, he is just looking at trying to work in some track stuff. If thats all it is then I don't think its such a big deal because it would mean he is in shape come the mini-camps. All he would have to do is bulk up before TC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement