Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Lads I read this on ESPN last night about Jeff Demps..

Running back Jeft Demps’ offseason program is going to be different than his fellow New England Patriots teammates.

As first reported by Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, Demps informed the Patriots this week that he intends to run track for Team USA in the coming months. Demps, who signed a three-year contract with the Patriots last August after competing in the London Olympics and spent his rookie season on injured reserve, also plans to play football in 2013.

“He loves both -- he loves playing football, he loves representing his country in track,” said Demps’ agent, Daniel Rose, of Florida-based Gridiron Sports. “He wants to do both and he can do both.”

The track season extends from March to around the time training camp would start, according to Rose.

Patriots players under contract are obligated to attend one mandatory minicamp over the offseason, usually held in June. If coach Bill Belichick still wants Demps to be part of the club, that shouldn’t be a big hurdle to overcome.
    Your right EE, bulking up should be his only issue for training camp, but he will be in excellent cardiovascular shape. The only thing worrying me is, if he tears a hamstring during a sprint meet, then that's him bandjaxed for us.

Brady views on the contract extension in an email to WEEI 93.7FM....
    “I don’t want to talk about this on the radio or anywhere else for that matter,” Brady wrote in an e-mail to John Dennis. “Athletes are always talking about money at a time when everyone else is struggling so badly to make it.

We all make way more than our fair share. And I just think it reflects poorly on myself and my teammates. I really do just want to win, and that has and will continue to be the reason that motivates me and is the biggest factor in my decision-making process.”
    http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2013/02/27/tom-brady-on-new-contract-we-all-make-way-more-than-our-fair-share/

I'd say a lot of greedy players in the NFL are pretty pissed right now. Brady, a man at the top of the pile, puts the team first before money. I'd say a few GM's out there will be throwing this in some players faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Adam Scehfter just wrote on ESPN that Brady restructuring will cost Flacco $800,000 if the Ravens tag him :D

Could be as much as $3m if the other highest paid QBs restructure as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

It's nice to see Brady do it, and hopefully with him and Rogers setting the trend of not putting money before the team we will stop seeing Sancholb contracts being dished out.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

Just to play Devil's advocate (I do think this is a very team friendly move by Brady) but, he will be getting $3m more with this new deal over the next two years and the full contract $57m is injury guaranteed. Also, there is a strong possibility that the deal could be restructured again in 2015 if Brady is still performing at a high level

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Masked Man wrote: »
    Adam Scehfter just wrote on ESPN that Brady restructuring will cost Flacco $800,000 if the Ravens tag him :D

Skip Bayless' next article: TOM BRADY HATES JOE FLACCO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Let's be fair, it's easy to put the team first when you're the greatest merch horse the sport has ever seen. Other players don't have the same amount of security or luxury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Syferus wrote: »
    Let's be fair, it's easy to put the team first when you're the greatest merch horse the sport has ever seen. Other players don't have the same amount of security or luxury.
    There are plenty of players around the legue who make loads and could sacrifice a little for more success.

If it was Manning that did this, NFL network would be warming the towels so it would be more comfortable after washing his balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

To be fair rayray I am not surprised you came in with something negative about this. Any fan who can't admit what Brady did is something other high earning players could do easily and can't see it is a positive thing is frankly an idiot.

There are plenty of players around the legue who make loads and could sacrifice a little for more success.

If it was Manning that did this, NFL network would be warming the towels so it would be more comfortable after washing his balls.

Agreed. There are plenty of players making a bucket load of money who could do the same and re-structure and still come out on top. Brady's re-structure actually favours him more than his old contract. There is more guaranteed money on it and an ijury clause. Smart move by both parties.

As you said if Manning or Brees or Rodgers did it the haters would be creaming themselves over it. Its sad to see the obvious haters look for flaws in it to make news for themselves.

• Advertisement

Lloyd done it seems for sure. He is not listed on the Pats 2013 Projected depth chart its being reported. So looks like the reports are true his time is done.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/why-brandon-lloyd-isnt-part-patriots-plans

Blured wrote: »
    Just to play Devil's advocate (I do think this is a very team friendly move by Brady) but, he will be getting $3m more with this new deal over the next two years and the full contract $57m is injury guaranteed.

But he's not really getting $3 million extra, when he has given away so much and gone way below his real market value for the good of the team.

Brady's 5 year contract = $57million @ $11.4 million a year.

Mannings 5 year contract = $96 million @ $19.2 million a year.

But he's not really getting $3 million extra, when he has given away so much and gone way below his real market value for the good of the team.

Brady's 5 year contract = $57million @ $11.4 million a year.

Mannings 5 year contract = $96 million @ $19.2 million a year.

He is getting $3m more than he would have over the next two years. He is getting $33m now compared to $30m in his old deal. It's a great cap move but in cash terms for the next two years Brady is earning more than he would have.

I do think its a very team friendly move by Brady and he could have demanded a lot more, but this is an improved contract for Brady in the next two years and is fully guaranteed in the case of injury

He is getting $3m more than he would have over the next two years. He is getting $33m now compared to $30m in his old deal. It's a great cap move but in cash terms for the next two years Brady is earning more than he would have.

Are you Robert Kraft or Tom Brady? Brady didn't sign a 2 year deal, so why are you assuming it will be renegotiated in 2015? So let me now play devils advocate and say that it will be renegotiated after 2015. Now let's look at recent history and the trend here,

In 2012, Brady tweaked his deal for the benefit of the team.
    In 2013 Brady got a contract extension and took a huge pay cut for the benefit of the team.
    So in 2015 if anything is tweaked, isn't in very likely that it will only bring more benfits to the team?

You do realise that Brady has added 3 more playing years onto that original deal don't you? He has given up a big part of his salary and his earnings for 2015, 2016 and 2017 are way under his true market value. It's a 5 year contract so why do you keeping going on about only the next 2 years for? Regardless, no matter what way you try and spin it, you can't take the shine of a wonderful gesture by Brady.

He has taken a very big hit for the team. Brady is getting $3 million more in the next 2 years, but his 5 year contract is still $39 million less than Manning's 5 year contract with Denver. So is he gaining $3 million in two years, or losing $39 million in 5 years? I can't make it any clearer for you than that. And it never ceases to amaze me, if it was any other NFL QB, I wouldn't have to waste might time here trying to spell it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

TO. wrote: »
    To be fair rayray I am not surprised you came in with something negative about this. Any fan who can't admit what Brady did is something other high earning players could do easily and can't see it is a positive thing is frankly an idiot.

Who said it's not something others won't do? There will always be genuinely selfish players and team players but there's much more to this sort of thing than that alone.

The point is many players (and sports stars in general) don't keep their finances in order so they're doubly worried when their meal ticket is being messed with. There's so many mouths to feed in a lot of cases that you're burning through your money at an astounding rate. Brady seems to be one of the exceptions in that regard and, as I said, on top of that he also gets more sponsorship money than any other player in the league so restructuring his deal to help the team is playing with house money. Compared to most it is relatively easy for him to give a little because for him now the only thing football-wise he cares about is a forth ring and it's in his interests too to allow the team assemble the best supporting cast they can.

It's calling others who don't selfish that I have a problem with, everyone's situation even at the top end isn't equal and the hard fact is sometimes money is the bank is more essential than a shiny new contract for a tackle or somesuch.

You can debate why players may end up in holes but that's not the point - you're not selfish if you don't let a team edit a contract they agreed to pay in the first place.

Please spare us the Manning hate and the tired old donkey that is the Patriots persecution complex, it does no one any favours.

Who said it's not something others won't do? There will always be genuinely selfish players and team players but there's much more to this sort of thing than that alone.

The point is many players (and sports stars in general) don't keep their finances in order so they're doubly worried when their meal ticket is being messed with. There's so many mouths to feed in a lot of cases that you're burning through your money at an astounding rate. Brady seems to be one of the exceptions in that regard and, as I said, on top of that he also gets more sponsorship money than any other player in the league so restructuring his deal to help the team is playing with house money. Compared to most it is relatively easy for him to give a little because for him now the only thing football-wise he cares about is a forth ring and it's in his interests too to allow the team assemble the best supporting cast they can.

It's calling others who don't selfish that I have a problem with, everyone's situation even at the top end isn't equal and the hard fact is sometimes money is the bank is more essential than a shiny new contract for a tackle or somesuch.

You can debate why players may end up in holes but that's not the point - you're not selfish if you don't let a team edit a contract they agreed to pay in the first place.

I could care less about any of what you wrote. The simple fact is you came into a Pats thread with nothing but trolling dribble. Who really cares for the reasons why others wouldn't do it? The simple fact is very few have and Brady has done it twice now. But there is no surprise you were the first one to come and sprout off unnecessary dribble. You do it all the time with Pats fans. You look for the rise and when we do you jump on the band wagon of doing the oh look another Pats cant do this and cant take that yadda yadda yadda.

Please spare us the Manning hate and the tired old donkey that is the Patriots persecution complex, it does no one any favours.

If you don't like what a Pats fan has to say in a Pats thread why not stay out of it in future rayray?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gronkastic

he also gets more sponsorship money than any other player in the league so restructuring his deal to help the team is playing with house money.

I suppose if you spin for long enough, you'll start beliveing your own rubbish. What a joke to try and make out that Brady can afford to throw away money because of his sponsorships. Christ, Manning has so many different TV campaigns out there, he could win an oscar. And don't even try and suggest he trails behind Brady in off-filed sponsorship. Yet he still gets a contract worth $39 million more than Brady.

and the tired old donkey that is the Patriots persecution complex, it does no one any favours.

Oh give it a rest ffs and stop hiding your pathetic bigotry behind that old excuse. Everytime I read that shyte, I always check back in the thread and every time almost without fail, it's the very same person who tries to stir, that then throws that persecation crap out. Why did you come into the Pats thread? Does it really bug you that much, that Brady got so much credit from around the NFL for what he did? Sad man, real sad.

Gronkastic wrote: »
    Christ, Manning has so many different TV campaigns out there, he could win an oscar. And don't even try and suggest he trails behind Brady in off-filed sponsorship. Yet he still gets a contract worth $39 million more than Brady.

Manning is actually the highest paid NFL player on the current Forbes rich list of highest paid athletes. This list includes a players total salary and off field endorsements.

http://www.forbes.com/athletes/#p_1_s_a0_

Peyton Manning is at 10 = $42.4 million.

Haloti Ngata is at 12 = $37.3 million.

Larry Fitzgerald is at 13 = $36.8 million.

Ndamukong Suh is at 14 = $36 million.

Charles Johnson is at 15 = $33.4.

Mario Williams is at 16 = $33.2 million.

Darrell Revis is at 22 = $28.3 million.

Sam Bradford is at 27 = $27.8 million.

Tom Brady is at 28 = $27.1 million.

Eli Manning is at 30 = $26.6 million.

LaMArr Woodley is at = $26.5 million

Mark Sanchez is at 38 = $24.2

ect, ect, ect.

Tom Brady's off field endorsements are listed at $4 million. Peyton Manning's off field endorsements are listed at a huge $10 million. His brother, Eli Manning also earns $8 million in off field endorsement, which is double what Brady gets. Funnily enough, no player on the list has taken or offered to take a pay cut for the good of his team. That's their right of course and I'm not judging them for it. But whatever we do, we better not give Brady any credit for doing what was clearly an exceptional gesture.

Disclaimer: My great respect for the Manning brothers is well documented in this forum. I have just merely used them to illustrate a point RE: earnings ect. No slight is intended toward them or any Broncos/Colts/Giants fans here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

I actually heard LT (the running back) on the Rich Eisen podcast one day and was asked would he have preferred to win a Super Bowl instead of his MVP and he said no! Personally I think it's a good reflection on Brady that he wants to win more superbowls (and restructured his deal to increase the chances of it happening) but even after this he's not going to be on the breadline any time soon!

taidghbaby wrote: »
    I actually heard LT (the running back) on the Rich Eisen podcast one day and was asked would he have preferred to win a Super Bowl instead of his MVP and he said no! Personally I think it's a good reflection on Brady that he wants to win more superbowls (and restructured his deal to increase the chances of it happening) but even after this he's not going to be on the breadline any time soon!

He will be a significant amount out of pocket, but I don't think anyone suggested he'll be on the bread line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Bedard is reporting that Michael Johnson is being franchise tagged by the Bengals, and this is relevant to us because he was one of our "top targets". Again, I've no reason to doubt Bedard so this is a good indication as to what Bill is looking for. I think he is excellent, and would have been a huge marquee signing for us so it looks like Bill might go big on a DE - if not free agency, then perhaps 1st round draft pick? Normally I'd expect us to trade it given our lack of picks this year, but too difficult to predict what we'll do with it after last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

I find it laughable people are making Brady out to be a saint . He is not earning very much extra money but he's making the majority of his potential money ....guaranteed money !!!!!!!

Wake up ! It's a phenomenal deal for him and the Patriots . He gets guaranteed dollars and the Patriots lower there cap . Win win unless Brady gets injured and then it's just a great deal for Brady (hopefully they doesn't happen for him)

He's not making a sacrifice. Also will people please stop quoting Mannings deal ... That will never ever get to the 5 year mark . Ot will either be restructured or the Broncos wil be cutting him eventually ....

I find it laughable people are making Brady out to be a saint . He is not earning very much extra money but he's making the majority of his potential money ....guaranteed money !!!!!!!

A few people including myself have pointed out he is gaining more guaranteed money on this deal.
    Wake up ! It's a phenomenal deal for him and the Patriots . He gets guaranteed dollars and the Patriots lower there cap . Win win unless Brady gets injured and then it's just a great deal for Brady (hopefully they doesn't happen for him)

The fact of the matter Brady has done twice that many wont and that is restructure. Many players refuse to even talk about it with their teams. At the end of it Brady helped out the Pats by accepting the re-structure something he didn't have to do in the first place.

If you don't like what Pats fans have to say about Pats players or the Pats, stay out of the Pats thread then. If you don't like us kissing Tom Bradys ass don't come into the thread. This is after all a thread for us to Talk Patriots and that includes kissing players asses.
    He's not making a sacrifice. Also will people please stop quoting Mannings deal ... That will never ever get to the 5 year mark . Ot will either be restructured or the Broncos wil be cutting him eventually ....

People said the same thing about Favre. Nothing is a given in the NFL anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Ask Mark Sanchez, the Jets could use the cap room from what I understand.
    Compared to most it is relatively easy for him to give a little because for him now the only thing football-wise he cares about is a forth ring and it's in his interests too to allow the team assemble the best supporting cast they can.
    So what your saying here is that its easier for Brady because he just wants to win. I guess thats a roundabout way of complimenting him.
    Its hard to respond to you without getting infracted.

I find it laughable people are making Brady out to be a saint .

And I find it laughable that you are using the word saint......no, checked back, nobody called him a saint. Obviusly your own prejuidice is clealry poisoining your words there. Brady has offered the Pats virtually 2 years for free at way below his real market value and given us a huge amount of extra cap space. Is he a Saint? Fúck no. Is he a God? fúck ya!!!!!!!

Also will people please stop quoting Mannings deal ... That will never ever get to the 5 year mark.

Mannings deal was used as a comparative yearly valuation with Brady's. So whether he play for 3 years or 5 years is absolutely irrelevant, because it was used to illustrate the great bargain Brady was givng the team with his below market value deal.

But since you have a problem with Manning's deal, let's look at the Drew Brees contract. 5 year deal worth $100 million, $60.5 million of it guaranteed, $40 million of which he got in the first year alone including a $37 million signing bonus :eek:. Brees then gets $20 million a year for the remining 4 years. Wow, what was Brady thinking?

Great interview with Robert Kraft on how he and Brady worked out the new contract. Some snippets from it below.....
    This, first, from the man who birthed the idea of the Brady extension and broached it to Brady in painstaking detail when they flew alone together from Massachusetts to Los Angeles the week after the Patriots' season ended:
    "No, no, no,'' Patriots owner Robert Kraft told me. "This is a real deal. Look at our track record. We don't do fake deals. The contract we have with Tom Brady is a real contract we will both live by."

Kraft said he had "been thinking about this for three or four years. I was probably wearing my fan hat as much as anything else. I just didn't want to ever see this become like Joe Montana leaving San Francisco, Emmitt Smith leaving Dallas, Brett Favre leaving Green Bay, Peyton Manning leaving Indianapolis.
    I had been talking to him off and on for maybe 18 months, about how I wanted him to finish his career here, and about how we both have to be smart about it. I just really want him to end his career a Patriot.''

So Kraft and Brady boarded the plane five weeks ago, and Kraft laid out the rough vision he had for the deal. "We had a lot of time to talk,'' Kraft said. "Six hours." Kraft wasn't exact with the terms that day, but he got the idea across.
    "I presented an idea to him that I thought could work for both sides. He takes care of his body in terms of exercise and working out and his food. Tom's intake of food is, really, so healthy. He has a whole style of living that is so important to him ... We're taking a chance making this commitment, and he's taking one, in terms of his ability to maximize pay.

I just thought if winning is the most important thing to him, and I think it is, and it certainly is to our family, this gives us the best chance to win. Hopefully we have an elite quarterback that, even if his skills decline even a little bit, he'll still be better than 90 percent of the quarterbacks in the league. And his legacy -- I already believe he's the greatest of all time -- if we win one or two more, he can solidify that.''
    "I credit Tom for doing the right thing and thinking outside the box. That's what we're trying to do as an organization, and certainly what Bill Belichick tries to do as a coach. If you don't have a good coach and a quarterback, you don't have much of a chance to win. We are fortunate that we have both who are way above par. Tom is everything that we want.

"In life, the best deals are the deals that are good for both sides. You have to understand what is most important for both parties. You do the deals that work well both ways. I'm not sure we will ever see anyone like him again. Being the 199th pick in the draft, I think he's always worked harder and fought harder, and I think he's able to think differently because nothing has ever been handed to him.

I wanted to get this done fast so we could create room for free agency, room on the cap over the next two years when the cap was too tight. If this thing took three or four months, we would have lost that window.''

See all of it here..http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130304/joe-flacco-tom-brady-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/?sct=uk_wr_a1

We really are so lucky to have such a classy owner, a man who is genuinely admired and respected across the NFL. Hopefully now we'll get the final components in place, for Belichick & Brady to add another ring or two.

Just to play Devil's advocate (I do think this is a very team friendly move by Brady) but, he will be getting $3m more with this new deal over the next two years and the full contract $57m is injury guaranteed. Also, there is a strong possibility that the deal could be restructured again in 2015 if Brady is still performing at a high level

Just reading Peter Kings MMQB where he interviews Robert Kraft - looks like I was wrong on this. Fair play to Brady, although he is getting a great guaranteed amount, he is going to be playing for significantly below market value for the final three years.

Great move by the Pats, you guys really are lucky to have Brady in more ways then one!

Heres the article

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130304/joe-flacco-tom-brady-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/index.html

Just seen Corvus's post above - same article, should really catchup on the thread before posting!

• Advertisement

Franchise tag not used. Be interesting to see will we hang onto Welker, Talib and Vollmer and if not which one of the 3 will be sent packing. I believe myself we will keep 2 of the 3. Welker is a given but who knows what way we will go with Vollmer or Talib both of them have their upsides.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement