Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Tagging any of those three would always be a bit on the pricey side. But If I had to decide between Vollmer and Talib, then it's going to be Vollmer for me without any hesitation. Regardless of our secondary issues, Vollmer did a damn good job protecting Brady. He's a behemoth and I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but nobody can cover LT as well as him if Solder goes down. Protecting Brady will always be the first priority for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Vollmer was great this year, but he's had durability issues in the past. I'm still a little skeptical.
    Not franchising makes a lot of sense, I don't see any of those guys being worth the money a tag would cost.

Conor Barwin is looking to shop himself in free agency, will take a smaller contract to play for a contender and is reportedly interested in the Patriots...
    That would boost our pass rush significantly, if we could afford him.

I doubt we'll see any major FA splashes from Bill this year.
    I can see Welker and Vollmer getting new contracts and then he'll focus on the draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I dont see us investing in any Outside Pass Rush this off season maybe an inside pass rush presence.

Outside, we have Jones, Ninkovich (hopefully he'll get an extension), Scott (hopefully resigned to another 1 yr vet min contract), Bequette, Cunningham (although he was used more inside last season) and the two CFL guys; Armstead could be a stud. Also, Hightower can be a presence there also.

To me, we looked stacked with decent pass rushers, its unlikely we'll invest in drafting or signing a Pass Rusher...unless we get Freeney on a vet minimum which i doubt.

I'd prefer to invest in DB help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tagging any of those three would always be a bit on the pricey side. But If I had to decide between Vollmer and Talib, then it's going to be Vollmer for me without any hesitation. Regardless of our secondary issues, Vollmer did a damn good job protecting Brady. He's a behemoth and I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but nobody can cover LT as well as him if Solder goes down. Protecting Brady will always be the first priority for me.
    I think I'd go with signing Talib over Seabass. As long as Scarnecchia is looking after the OL I'm not too worried about the personnel. He just seems to get the best out of everybody.

We need to make sure the secondary is in good shape. There are some interesting FAs but if we can get Talib at a cut price(given his professed love for playing in Foxboro) then I think he would be a good signing. Thats of course if these rumours about a shabby work ethic are untrue.

I hope we resign both tbh at the right price.

Hazys wrote: »

Outside, we have Jones, Ninkovich (hopefully he'll get an extension)...

I think Ninkovich had a very good season in 2012 and an extension would be nice. Remember this......

tumblr_mcbh7nhwen1rs2mx7o1_500.jpg

Anybody who gets that much love from Belichick, is really in the good books and has nothing to worry about. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think Ninkovich had a very good season in 2012 and an extension would be nice. Remember this......

Anybody who gets that much love from Belichick, is really in the good books and has nothing to worry about. :D
    I think that smiley means you are joking.

I remember him saying that Alge Crumper 'is awesome' and he got cut at the end of the season. Belichick is just so professional. He can love you one day and cut you the next and its part of what makes him such a great coach.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think I'd go with signing Talib over Seabass. As long as Scarnecchia is looking after the OL I'm not too worried about the personnel. He just seems to get the best out of everybody.

Scharnechia is a coaching genuis and Vollmer has ongoing back issues as we all know. But last season he proved he can play through it and do a damn fine job in the process. At the end of the day, it will be Scarnecchia's call and in Scarnecchia we trust.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think that smiley means you are joking.

Yes I was joking, nobody can rest on their laurels with Belichick.

Our CB position is extremely bad.

We only have 3 CBs under contract: Alfonzo Dennard, Ras-I Dowling, Malcolm Williams. One could face jail time and another hasn't stayed fit for a full season. Do we move McCourty back if we cannot get Talib signed?

Our CB position is extremely bad.

We only have 3 CBs under contract: Alfonzo Dennard, Ras-I Dowling, Malcolm Williams. One could face jail time and another hasn't stayed fit for a full season. Do we move McCourty back if we cannot get Talib signed?

McCourty is a different player at Safety, if he's moved back to CB then it will be a step backwards for us. So whatever happens, I really hope they don't move him. Dowling has been such a dissapointment with his bad injury record. I was hoping last season he'd leave the sick notes behind him, but it was not to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gronkastic

McCourty is a different player at Safety, if he's moved back to CB then it will be a step backwards for us. So whatever happens, I really hope they don't move him.

I agree and I to hope they don't move him back. Might be wrong, but I have a gut feeling Talib might not get a contract. Missed a lot of college football last year so I'm not up the speed with the draft class talent available. But if Talib is loking for too much, they might be happy enough with drafting some talent or going with a value FA.

Reports are circulating that Welker has no plans to resign before he tests the FA market.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9021861/2013-nfl-free-agency-wes-welker-new-england-patriots-intends-test-market-source-says

So it suggests that the Pats offer hasn't so far matched what he'd like. It will be his first time to get a true valuation of his worth on the open market. Maybe then he'll use this as negotiation leverage, but he must know deep down that even if he gets an amazing offer, he'll never have anyone like Brady throwing the ball to him. Whether he cares or not, we'll know soon enough.

I don't see how he could fit another team aswell as the Patriots, i don't know wear he would fit. What team could he play for?

My viewpoint is massively biased by how i cannot fathom Welker playing for anybody but the Patriots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Bye bye Wes Welker. He will be snapped up. No way he floats on the FA without finding a suitable team. Plenty of teams could use him. Funny feeling Kansas will bite on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I don't see how he could fit another team aswell as the Patriots, i don't know wear he would fit. What team could he play for?

My viewpoint is massively biased by how i cannot fathom Welker playing for anybody but the Patriots.

Falcons if Tony G stays. Would be a scary line up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Stev_o wrote: »
    Falcons if Tony G stays. Would be a scary line up.

If Tony G stays, the last thing the Falcons need to be spending their cap space on is Wes Welker. 100 million per cent won't happen.

I guess the Colts are an option too.

They have tons of cap space and a very good QB...damn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

yeah if he is testing the water he is gone. the committment is gone and someone will pay for him. all the reports thus far though had said they were close to getting a long term deal sorted.

Last year should have been a big one for Edelman, he was the long term replacemnet for Welker. The talent is undeniable there but he just has no durability. Welker however, is one tough little fecker and between the TE's and the WR's, he's the only guy who kept turning up on the field last season.

Worse case scenario, will we manage without him? Yes.

Do I want them to? No.

Despite what people say, I think there's a few teams that Welker would fit in well on.

Packers, Broncos, Saints, Colts to name a few.
    His production wont be as high as it has been for the Pats, but you can definitely see his skills providing a boost to these teams for underneath routes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

BizzyC wrote: »
    Despite what people say, I think there's a few teams that Welker would fit in well on.

Totally agree.
    Packers, Broncos, Saints, Colts to name a few.
    His production wont be as high as it has been for the Pats, but you can definitely see his skills providing a boost to these teams for underneath routes.

Thing is with him he will go where the money is at this point. Plenty of teams he wont fit it will most likely take a punt on him for the money he is looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I guess the Colts are an option too.

They have tons of cap space and a very good QB...damn

Would love to get him. Would be disappointed if we don't make a bid for him. We have the cap space to pay him, and a QB he can work with.

TO. wrote: »
    Thing is with him he will go where the money is at this point. Plenty of teams he wont fit it will most likely take a punt on him for the money he is looking for.

I have my doubts about that as well.

I don't think any of the teams where he'll fit in well will use him in the same way.
    If he's not going to be as productive, he wont be able to demand as much money.

Unless someone like the Cowboys/Raiders steps in and (stupidly) pays top dollar, I don't think he'll get it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

BizzyC wrote: »
    I have my doubts about that as well.

I don't think any of the teams where he'll fit in well will use him in the same way.
    If he's not going to be as productive, he wont be able to demand as much money.

Unless someone like the Cowboys/Raiders steps in and (stupidly) pays top dollar, I don't think he'll get it.

thing is, if I were the Denver Broncos for example, it would pay me to take on Welker, give him his money, and if he is good, great, if not, well at least I have hindered one of my main rivals best weapons and made them a weaker side, which is to my advantage. win win all round, for the Denver Broncos.

This Welker debacle has been dragging on since last season and I'm pretty sick of it by now. If Welker thinks he can call the Patriots bluff, then I think he's making a big mistake. Our history is littered with players who went elsewhere looking for top dollar and their careers plummeted after they left. If Welker leaves, I'll gouge out my eyes if they sign Danny Amendola. Any guy who misses 20 games in the last two seasons, is someone who should be avoided at all costs. My fear is the Pats might see Amendola as a value signing, getting a nice price because of his injury record. It's frustrating enough having an injury prone Edelman, but signing a guy with a worse record would be crazy imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

This Welker debacle has been dragging on since last season and I'm pretty sick of it by now. If Welker thinks he can call the Patriots bluff, then I think he's making a big mistake. Our history is littered with players who went elsewhere looking for top dollar and their careers plummeted after they left. If Welker leaves, I'll gouge out my eyes if they sign Danny Amendola. Any guy who misses 20 games in the last two seasons, is someone who should be avoided at all costs. My fear is the Pats might see Amendola as a value signing, getting a nice price because of his injury record. It's frustrating enough having an injury prone Edelman, but signing a guy with a worse record would be crazy imo.
    In fairness to amendola, that shoulder injury he had last season was very serious and he was back after 3 weeks.

In fairness to amendola, that shoulder injury he had last season was very serious and he was back after 3 weeks.

'Injury' being the operative word, of course he only played one game in 2011. Sorry, I've had enough of players with durability questions. God knows, we have enough of them already on our roster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

bruschi wrote: »
    thing is, if I were the Denver Broncos for example, it would pay me to take on Welker, give him his money, and if he is good, great, if not, well at least I have hindered one of my main rivals best weapons and made them a weaker side, which is to my advantage. win win all round, for the Denver Broncos.

It could also be a win for the Pats.
    If they don't give that money to Welker, then they are in a stronger position to get two of the big name free agent signings, maybe one on offense and another in defense. That wouldn't weaken the team.
    I like Wes, and would prefer if we could keep him for the right deal. But Bill and Tom are the key ingredients for the Pats (and you might include Gronks in that), but the rest are replaceable, as has been done before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

'Injury' being the operative word, of course he only played one game in 2011. Sorry, I've had enough of players with durability questions. God knows, we have enough of them already on our roster.
    One career threatening and one life threatening injury in two years is more bad luck than anything. I think both were non contact injuries too. I'd have more concern about guys with muscular issues than with Amendola.

If Welker does go, I don't see him being replaced anyway, probably play a lot more TE in the slot.

• Advertisement

If Welker does go, I don't see him being replaced anyway, probably play a lot more TE in the slot.

Hernandez was picking up extra slot routes early last season before his ankle injury kicked in. Maybe next season him and Edelman might share this role more. One of the reasons I believe Welker is píssed off, is he knows early last season the team were working younger guys into his role. Then the inury blitz happend and his reps picked up again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement