Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Before I read that, I was thinking a $27 million, 3 year deal @ $9 million a year was a pretty fair offer. But there's not much difference in what we were thinking there. But I do have a problem if Welker's agent is looking for something like a $47.5 million, 5 year deal at $9.5 million per year. That is just way to rich for me. If he was 28-29 then yes, but at 32? No way.

I'd agree a five year deal on that sort of money wouldnt make sense for the Pats but how about a five year deal with most of the guaranteed money tied into the first three years and that way in years four and five you's have a lot more room for releasing him. Something like that would allow Welker to get paid now and offer security to the Patriots in the future should his production fall or he gets injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

frostie500 wrote: »
    I'd agree a five year deal on that sort of money wouldnt make sense for the Pats but how about a five year deal with most of the guaranteed money tied into the first three years and that way in years four and five you's have a lot more room for releasing him. Something like that would allow Welker to get paid now and offer security to the Patriots in the future should his production fall or he gets injured.

I can't see him playing at his current level in 4-5 years time, but your suggestion is another contract option alright. If Wes wants 5 years, then it gives him that, but it would also give the team a logical money saving option after the 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

bruschi wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I misinterpreted your post when you clearly say:

I dont know what you expect people to make of that.

I hope he stays, and gets paid his worth. And if the Patriots dont value him as high as someone else and he leaves, then I do think they will have made a mistake.

But I honestly dont hope he accepts an offer elsewhere just to prove that they made a mistake.

You said I was doing it to come back on here and say "told you so", You and other fans are not my concern or do I care about being proved right in the eyes of other fans. I think it is obvious I care less about what people think about me. But for an organisation to let one of their best assets go is ridiculous at best especially when we don't exactly have a stellar lineup in his place. At the end of it think what you want I couldn't give a fook really. You have your opinion and I have mine. If you want to nitpick mine hey free country.

To add if we arent prepared to give Welker a decent contract even for 3 years there is not one solid WR out there that will sign for the Pats for less who will be an immediate impact simple as.

I can't see him playing at his current level in 4-5 years time, but your suggestion is another contract option alright. If Wes wants 5 years, then it gives him that, but it would also give the team a logical money saving option after the 3 years.

Last year it was suggested he wanted a long term deal from 3-4 years guaranteeing him more money. So if he is looking for a long term deal now it will be 3 at most.

TO. wrote: »
    Last year it was suggested he wanted a long term deal from 3-4 years guaranteeing him more money. So if he is looking for a long term deal now it will be 3 at most.

Yes 3 years is a real contract, an honest contract. But 5 years might assuage an ego, assuming that it's an issue of course. We all know 5 years would only be an excercise in tokenism.

We are all distracted by Welker right now, but has anyone any news on Vollmer or Talib? Because I haven't picked up anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

You said I was doing it to come back on here and say "told you so", You and other fans are not my concern or do I care about being proved right in the eyes of other fans. I think it is obvious I care less about what people think about me. But for an organisation to let one of their best assets go is ridiculous at best especially when we don't exactly have a stellar lineup in his place. At the end of it think what you want I couldn't give a fook really. You have your opinion and I have mine. If you want to nitpick mine hey free country.

To add if we arent prepared to give Welker a decent contract even for 3 years there is not one solid WR out there that will sign for the Pats for less who will be an immediate impact simple as.

Theres no need to be so aggressive TO. All I said was I couldnt believe that you honestly hope Welker moves to another team and is highly productive. I dont think thats nitpicking, its called a fourm for a reason, to discuss these things. I just cant understand the logic for you saying that.

I've already stated I dont want him to leave, and I think he is more than worth the perceived value on him, as his value to the Patriots is key, and another team taking him diminishes our ability hugely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Gronkastic wrote: »
    Lloyd had good enough numbers last season with 900+ yards, 74 receptions and 4 TD’s. But we all know he was a disappointment. He never turned out to be the deep threat we hoped for. His numbers are good because it’s Tom Brady throwing him the ball. The same applies to Welker, Brady makes every receiver look good. Welker wasn’t much till Brady lit him up when he came to NE. Christ, Brady would make my fridge look good catching a ball.

If you look at Brady's stats pre-Welker and post-Welker, you'll see it tells a different story. Brady is obviously the man, but he too has benefitted hugely by Welker's consistent excellence.
    I think you guys should do everything to keep WW, but I'm not complaining. Indy are running the West Coast next season and an elite slot guy would suit us fine ;)

bruschi wrote: »
    Theres no need to be so aggressive TO. All I said was I couldnt believe that you honestly hope Welker moves to another team and is highly productive. I dont think thats nitpicking, its called a fourm for a reason, to discuss these things. I just cant understand the logic for you saying that.

Aggressive? Made me laugh just now and nearly spit my tea on my computer. My apologies for typing aggressive. I'm off to smash something now because apparently saying you could care less what people think of you or your opnion is aggressive.

Let me ask you if you don't see it as nitpicking what answer did you honestly expect to get by asking the question in the first place? How long have I posted on this board and how often have I ever written something I didn't believe or stuck to?

Good piece here...
    Wes Welker better be careful. If he gets greedy, if he waits too long to find out, once and for all, exactly what his value is on the free-agent market, he could lose the best thing that ever happened to his football career: Tom Brady

The New England Patritos are the most ruthless organization in the National Football League. They wait for no one. They don't get leveraged or pushed into action. They don't operate on sentiment. As Bill Belichick so often says, the Patriots' philosophy is to do what is in the best interest of the team. Always has been. Waiting for Welker to test the free-agent market isn't in the best interest of the team. New England has holes to fill. It needs to spend money on a cornerback, at least one other wide receiver (assuming it lets Brandon Llyod go) and a safety. If the Patriots think they might have to replace Welker, too, that would affect their approach to free agency. Given their philosophy, they will move on very quickly.

..if Welker has any interest in staying with the franchise, the system and the quarterback who have made him the most productive wide receiver of the past six years, he must act. Welker must make a decision, and he must let the Patriots know in advance of the Tuesday 4 p.m. ET start of the new league year and free agency. Otherwise, Welker easily could be the odd man out. From a competitive standpoint, Welker won't find a better situation. He won't have an opportunity to play with a better quarterback or in a system that fits him so well.

The fact is, the Patriots probably are going to offer Welker more than they normally would because of his value to Brady, who would be livid if they let Welker walk. Welker is a good guy, a loyal teammate and a fan favorite. New England doesn't typically care about public relations, but losing Welker would enrage fans. It would be even more unpopular in the locker room. Not that that's stopped the Patriots in the past. In 2003, they sent shock waves through the organization when they cut safety Lawey Milloy five days before the opening game of the season.

In September 2009, they traded defensive tackle Richard Seymour whom they had drafted sixth overall in 2001, to Oakland for a first-round pick in 2011. New England made defensive tackle Vince Wilfork play out his six-year rookie contract, even though he had more than earned an extension, before finally extending him in 2010. And the Patriots took hard-line stances with offensive guard Logan Mankins and cornerback Asante Samuel. All of those players were as valuable, if not more so, than Welker. Led by Belichick, the Patriots always do what is in the best interest of the team. Welker can't forget that. He needs to savor this weekend and enjoy the attention he will get. And then Welker needs to decide what he really wants, because if he waits too long, the decision will no longer be his to make.
    Full article...http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9028828/nfl-free-agency-2013-wes-welker-drags-feet-patriots-gone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Aggressive? Made me laugh just now and nearly spit my tea on my computer. My apologies for typing aggressive. I'm off to smash something now because apparently saying you could care less what people think of you or your opnion is aggressive.

Let me ask you if you don't see it as nitpicking what answer did you honestly expect to get by asking the question in the first place? How long have I posted on this board and how often have I ever written something I didn't believe or stuck to?

ah here, I'm not here for a to and fro argument. you wrote you honestly hoped Welker accepts a ridiculous deal elsewhere and has a productive season. I asked why you would hope for that, and it turned into this. I dont know if you are being sarcastic or not in your last sentence. I'm out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gronkastic

We are all distracted by Welker right now, but has anyone any news on Vollmer or Talib? Because I haven't picked up anything.

Nope, haven't really heard anything on Vollmer or Talib.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Vollmer had arthroscopic surgery just two weeks ago so I don't think anybody will be in a rush to sign him up until he gets the all clear. I think the Pats are in good position to resign him given they have detailed information about his back problems.

Talib is an interesting one. I don't think he will get huge money with all the other corners that are FAs. I think the Patriots have taken a chance on not tagging either because they feel they can let both test FA and get a good deal done then.

I wouldn't be surprised if Welker and the Patriots already have an agreement in place that they match the best offer he gets somewhere else.

The media are on Welker watch and its letting them work behind the scenes on other FA targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

The only thing I've read about Talib was from Erik Frenz (I think, don't quote me on that) saying that he's heard the Pats definitely do want to keep Talib, despite what the work-ethic rumours suggested. But I guess that's not much of an exclusive or anything, we'd be silly to not want to hold on to him given the impact he made.

The only thing I've read about Talib was from Erik Frenz (I think, don't quote me on that) saying that he's heard the Pats definitely do want to keep Talib, despite what the work-ethic rumours suggested.

Hard to know where these work-ethic rumours come from, but they've been quoted from a lot of sources alright, so there must be some truth there. If they are true, then I think the Pats should offer Talib a one year contract. Then tell him that he if keeps doing what he did for us in those 7 weeks, they'll be happy to extend to a long term deal a the end of the 2013 season.

I see our former Offensive Coordinator Bill O’Brien, was in town and he was the keynote speaker, at the 2013 New England Football Coaches Clinic at Gillette Stadium on Friday.

Here are some interesting commnets he had to say about his former team...
    As you probably heard, Tom Brady restructured his contract through 2017. What are your thoughts on that?
    “I don’t know the details of that, but No. 1, I would tell you that Tom Brady is a team guy. He’s a winner. He just wants to win. So every year that he’s a Patriot, he’s going to do whatever it takes for the team to win. That’s what I was talking about here tonight – he understands that he’s a leader of the team, but he also understands that he’s going to do what he can to help the team.”

He’s said he’d like to play until he’s 40. What in your view needs to happen for that to be accomplished?
    “He’s a guy that takes great care of his body. He watches what he eats. He works out. He does everything the right way. It’s not easy to play until you’re 40, but I would never bet against him.”

The Patriots played at a pretty fast tempo this year. What stood out to you about the tempo?
    “They have a fantastic coaching staff on offense here. They have Bill, obviously, and Josh McDaniels and Dante Scarnecchia, Ivan Fears, Chad O’Shea, George Godsey – those guys do a great job coaching. I think that they did a great job with the tempo, and Josh did a great job of game-planning that week-in and week-out. I didn’t see every game. And then obviously, you have a quarterback of Tom’s ability that can run it, it was obviously successful. They set a bunch of records. They’ll probably do it against next year.”

Why do you think they were able to execute at such a fast tempo like that?
    “Because they have bright guys that are really talented. First and foremost, they are very smart and they think quickly. So they can process information very, very quickly. You have to have players that can do that if you want to play at a high tempo. That’s what they did.”

Wes Welker’s future is a hot topic here. What are your thoughts?
    “I don’t have any thoughts on that. I don’t even know the details of all that. I just know that I loved coaching him. I know that he has the respect of this organization from top to bottom, and he’s a great player.”

With Rob Gronkowski, it is said that the public perception of him maybe differs from the reality. What are your thoughts on him?
    “I think he’s a fantastic guy. I think he’s a smart football player. I think he’s a young guy that’s enjoying his life. In this day and age of cell phone cameras and all these different things that are out there, last time I checked he was just having some fun. He came to practice every day, he came to play every day and he’s a fantastic player. I think he’s got a bright future, obviously.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4740647/catching-up-with-bill-obrien

latest comments from Robert Kraft on the Welker situation....
    “We want Wes. We really do,” Kraft said, via the New York Daily News. Welker is set to become an unrestricted free agent, and Kraft has repeatedly said he wants him to remain in New England. He sounded that again on Monday...

“I love Wes Welker,” he said, via ESPN. “I hope he remains a Patriot for life. Just like Tom Brady.
    http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/03/11/robert-kraft-patriots-really-want-wes-welker/OXBA2PpGT9Bw1jauYzbfcI/story.html

So do we Rob, so do we.

It really is Free Agency crazy town right now and although it looks like Mike Wallace is going to the Dolphins. Could you imagine the likes of Wallace joining up with an offense that still has Welker on it? What a mouth watering prospect that would be.

So our first move in FA is to tender Michael Hoomanawanui. I hope I spelt that right.:D

So we are going to have four tight ends next year by the looks of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

eagle eye wrote: »
    So our first move in FA is to tender Michael Hoomanawanui. I hope I spelt that right.:D

So we are going to have four tight ends next year by the looks of things.

Hope Ballard gets a shot next year with ye.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Hope Ballard gets a shot next year with ye.

He's kinda under the radar right now, but I'm really excited about seeing him play for us. A talented kid without a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

He's kinda under the radar right now, but I'm really excited about seeing him play for us. A talented kid without a doubt.

Yea was a shame to lose him. Can def help out if Gronk goes down again (obviously not same class but talented)

Colts have signed Donald Thomas. Not a huge loss but I thought he was one of those who would get better with experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Ballard is a good 2nd/3rd TE but isn't much more. Bennett was an all round better player for us. Ballard has a great attitude. He is a deceptive route runner and showed great toughness. He can get better but not in a system where he is used sparingly.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Colts have signed Donald Thomas. Not a huge loss but I thought he was one of those who would get better with experience.

He did a very good job covering Mankins and Connolly last season, but he was never going to get the money he wanted from the Patriots.

Chung has gone to the Eagles and aside from his persistent injuries he was very poor last season, hence his reduced playing time. I really would have lost the plot if they kept him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gronkastic

Chung has gone to the Eagles and aside from his persistent injuries he was very poor last season, hence his reduced playing time. I really would have lost the plot if they kept him.

I agree and him being undersized didn't help us. I wonder will Arrington or Dowling be following?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I think Bill is going through a midlife crisis. He just did a Q+A on his wife's twitter :eek:

I think Bill is going through a midlife crisis. He just did a Q+A on his wife's twitter :eek:

Normality will be restored when he signs another 4 TE's during FA. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Deion or Rice? ... Deion.

Interesting

• Advertisement

Cribbs says he has his search down to two candidates Us or Cards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement