Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Hazys wrote: »
    How do the Patriots think Wes Welker is worse than Brain Hartline?

Doesn't work like that. Patriots didn't decide to give Hartline $6 million a year, the Dolphins did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

davyjose wrote: »
    The fact that NE weren't offering anything close to that kind of deal is mind-blowing tbh. That's not a lot of cash.

Must be something going on behind the scenes? You'd have to think the Patriots wouldn't let Welker escape to a fellow AFC team on that sort of cash if they didn't have something lined up themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Brian Hartline got $6m a year.

How do the Patriots think Wes Welker is worse than Brain Hartline?

On the same thinking, how do the Broncos think Welker is only worth $6m a year? They must have been laughing when he came to the table with his demands.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnwfaQz_5cp3h4xKL6gIQr5GZ0nIzduzwKzo-LteJamP5JAugJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Doesn't work like that. Patriots didn't decide to give Hartline $6 million a year, the Dolphins did.

Obviously...i was just using a reasonably similar barometer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Ian Logue ‏@IanLogue RT @AlbertBreer: The Patriots' final and only recent offer for Wes Welker was $10M over 2 years, w/incentives.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Must be something going on behind the scenes? You'd have to think the Patriots wouldn't let Welker escape to a fellow AFC team on that sort of cash if they didn't have something lined up themselves.

At that kind of money, they could surely have kept Welker and gone for another wideout. There is no better slot guy in the league than Welker. It's a massive conundrum.

I can only think he's rubbed BB so far up the wrong way, he's done a Fergie/Jaap Stam on it and cut his losses.

Obviously...i was just using a reasonably similar barometer.

What Jeff Ireland does with the Dolphins' money is about as far from reasonable as you can get.

You asked how do we think Welker is worse than Hartline. We don't, but we don't think Hartline is worth anywhere near what Jeff Ireland paid him either. It's not a sensible barometer to use at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Tom's not happy.

Tom E. Curran
    Spoke to someone close to Tom Brady. Beyond enraged at contract details that netted Broncos Wes Welker. "Disgrace" "disservice" were used.

TO. wrote: »
    Ian Logue ‏@IanLogue RT @AlbertBreer: The Patriots' final and only recent offer for Wes Welker was $10M over 2 years, w/incentives.

He had a $18m over 2 years offer last season from the Patriots but he didnt take it and he was franchised.

The Pats paid him $9.4m last year but this year the only see him worth half that...madness.

I still can't believe the best offer he could get on the open market was $6m a year....crazy :confused::confused::confused:

From Tom Curran on Twitter: Spoke to someone close to Tom Brady. Beyond enraged at contract details that netted Broncos Wes Welker. "Disgrace" "disservice" were used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Considering how overpaid Wallace was I doubt 6m is the best Welker got offered. I'd say he wanted to stay with a SB contender. Obviously something has gone wrong at NE

me89 wrote: »
    Tom's not happy.

Tom E. Curran
    Spoke to someone close to Tom Brady. Beyond enraged at contract details that netted Broncos Wes Welker. "Disgrace" "disservice" were used.

I'd be very surprised if those were Brady's words, more than likely words from the source rather than Tom.

Brady's very much a "Wes is a great guy but we'll move on" sort of guy.

I'd be very surprised if those were Brady's words, more than likely words from the source rather than Tom.

They are close friends, it wouldn't surprise me if he is pissed.

To the media he is. In private, I'd say he doesn't mince words.

Just as I thought.

RT @tomecurran
    The enraged party in my previous tweet was someone close to Brady. Not Brady himself. Got no idea how he feels. But I bet I could guess.

We have so much cap space right now, we better do something with it.

Hopefully resign vollmer and talib, then sign a top outside WR and a DB playmaker.

I think we survive without Welker as our slot WR as we got Hernandez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gutted doesn't even begin to describe how I feel right now.:(

On Welker, the offer of $10m over 2yrs was a low ball and the fact that they couldn't/wouldn't increase the offer by a $1m a year, hell I'd say if they increased the offer by $500,000 a year Welker would have accepted...

I think it's pretty obvious, the Pats were not outbid...the Pats didn't want Welker at all!!

I see a massive revamp of the Pats passing game coming.

On Welker, the offer of $10m over 2yrs was a low ball and the fact that they couldn't/wouldn't increase the offer by a $1m a year, hell I'd say if they increased the offer by $500,000 a year Welker would have accepted...

I think it's pretty obvious, the Pats were not outbid...the Pats didn't want Welker at all!!

Why though? It doesnt make sense. Its just tinkering. The O was magnificent. It was the D that needed revamping.

Yeah throw to all the Tight Ends we have. 2 more Tight Ends and we have a full 5 wide set of them. What's left of our WR corp is pretty pure especially if we don't lock down Edelmen or Lloyd or both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Amendola to the Patriots now I wonder?

Why though? It doesnt make sense. Its just tinkering. The O was magnificent. It was the D that needed revamping.

Do you not think if the Pats really wanted to keep Welker they would have? We have way more cap space than Denver and the difference was less than $1m a year (the pats offer had incentives on top of the $10m too)

Ian Logue ‏@IanLogue Explains why he jumped on it RT @jeffphowe: Welker's $12 million is fully guaranteed.

Do you not think if the Pats really wanted to keep Welker they would have? We have way more cap space than Denver and the difference was less than $1m a year (the pats offer had incentives on top of the $10m too)

How does this explain where you said a offensive revamp is coming though?

Im not saying youre wrong. Just think its insanity by NE.

Im not saying youre wrong. Just think its insanity by NE.

I don't disagree on the insanity part

How does this explain where you said a offensive revamp is coming though?

Considering the only WR who caught a pass for us last year that we have on the roster is expected to be cut....the offensive passing game is going to look very different next year

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter Lose one receiver, add another: Patriots reach agreement in principle on five-year deal with former Ram Danny Amendola, per league source.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

The Patriots agreed to a 5-year deal with Danny Amendola, source says. 5 years, $31M. $10 guaranteed. Avg: $6.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What a bad time to lose my Wifi earlier, but I can't believe Welker got a $12 million deal. He had a much better offer last year from the Pats and didn't take it. It looks like the reports at the weekend that he wanted to stick it to the Pats were true then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter Lose one receiver, add another: Patriots reach agreement in principle on five-year deal with former Ram Danny Amendola, per league source.

Christ Jesus the nightmare gets worse, we just went from reliability to unreliability.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement