Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

And it looks like we just got $2.5 million more cap space after the Patriots won their CBA appeals ruling against Jonathon Fanene. He gave misleading or false medical information apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why the hell didn't Welker take the $15 million on offer from Tennessee then?

The $12m at Denver is guaranteed too. Might not have been in Tennessee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

davyjose wrote: »
    The $12m at Denver is guaranteed too. Might not have been in Tennessee.

Reading all the reports it seems Welker favoured possible success in Denver over the uncertainty in Tennessee. Who knows what went through his head. Personally I think Denver is the best option for him. Going from one HOF QB to another is always the best option in my eyes.

TO. wrote: »
    Reading all the reports it seems Welker favoured possible success in Denver over the uncertainty in Tennessee. Who knows what went through his head. Personally I think Denver is the best option for him. Going from one HOF QB to another is always the best option in my eyes.

Absolutely. Him and Denver are a perfect match. He will improve them, and he deserves to be on an elite team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Why the hell didn't Welker take the $15 million on offer from Tennessee then?

I never realised he had such an offer from Tennessee. So it looks like the reports last week that he 'wanted to stick it to the Patriots' are probably true then. The best way of hurting us would be to join the likes of the Broncos. I am tempted to say fúck him then, but I'll wait to let the dust settle for a few more days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I never realised he had such an offer from Tennessee. So it looks like the reports last week that he 'wanted to stick it to the Patriots' are probably true then. The best way of hurting us would be to join the likes of the Broncos. I am tempted to say fúck him then, but I'll wait to let the dust settle for a few more days.

I hope he did do it to fúck the patriots off. I don't mean any disrespect to any fan here, I know this is the patriots thread, but from a neutral point of view, Welker was treated like crap these last two years. I'm also sure that Welker was very much aware that Amendola was down having talks with the pats too. So I'd like for him to get even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

And it looks like we just got $2.5 million more cap space after the Patriots won their CBA appeals ruling against Jonathon Fanene. He gave misleading or false medical information apparently.

Do we get that cap space this year?

My understanding is that is the money from last year's cap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Best way to annoy BB is not to go ti mid-table mediocrity with the Titans and earn more money, go to a contender which is what the Broncos are

It baffles me that the bitterness is creeping in now. It is 100% clear we were shipping Welker out and were not prepared to offer him what he wanted. We offered him lower than both Denver and Tennessee and we apparently pre-signed Amendola on Tuesday. Clear signs we moved on from Welker. Blaming him is stupid at best.

And for those saying he went to Denver as a F**k you to the Pats. Grow up. It is clear he had two offers. Tennessee and Denver. A betting man would say Denver is the most logical choice for someone like Welker who wants to win.

Put yourself in his shoes. Patriots offering you a lower contract so you know your days are numbered and then Denver offer you a contract and they have built a good squad and have Peyton Manning. where would you go? Personally I would have done the same thing Denver > Tennessee any day. Another realistic chance of getting to a bowl for sure.

I hope he did do it to fúck the patriots off. I don't mean any disrespect to any fan here, I know this is the patriots thread, but from a neutral point of view, Welker was treated like crap these last two years. I'm also sure that Welker was very much aware that Amendola was down having talks with the pats too. So I'd like for him to get even.

Welker was offered a 2 year, $16 million fully guaranteed deal last year. He then settles for $12 million this year. So he ain't got nothing to be whinging about imo. The Pats gave him a good offer in 2012, it's his own fault he didn't take it.

• Advertisement

ThePatriots made it abundantly clear they didn't want him. Can't see how anyone is blaming Welker on the fact he's no longer a Patriot.

It's all on BB and Kraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gronkastic

davyjose wrote: »
    ThePatriots made it abundantly clear they didn't want him. Can't see how anyone is blaming Welker on the fact he's no longer a Patriot.

It's all on BB and Kraft.

Eh, he got a better offer last year from the Pats, it's not their fault he didn't take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

As usual with these types of debates, the answer is somewhere in between. Truth is, both sides could have handled this a lot better than they did. I'm just sad that one of my all-time favourite Patriot's career here has ended like this. I don't wish Wes huge success going forward, because that would likely be at our expense - but I do hope he goes on to prove to people that the theory of him being a system product is crap once and for all.

Welker was offered a 2 year, $16 million fully guaranteed deal last year. He then settles for $12 million this year. So he ain't got nothing to be whinging about imo. The Pats gave him a good offer in 2012, it's his own fault he didn't take it.

Why do you keep going back to last year? It is irrelevant. Things change and sure Welker fooked up not taking the deal last year but he wanted a btter contract last year. Don't forget the Franchise tag gave him 1 yr 9m so why would he settled on 2 yrs 16m when he wanted a 3 year deal. Big deal he thought he would get more this year and was wrong. But the Pats made is quite clear we didn't want him anymore and had moved on. Being bitter at Wes is the most ridiculous thing ever.

Seriously some Pats fans baffle me. Can't see that there is fault on both sides of the coin. God forbid the Patriots actually made mistakes in all of this. Never the Pats would never make stupid moves or make mistake. Get a grip the sun doesn't always shine so brightly out of the organisations hole.

Both sides could have done better between last year and this year. But being bitter about either side is pointless and childish. Bringing up last year to bolster your argument for this year is also just as pointless and childish.

Sickens me that some Pats fans are that bitter with Welker after all he has done for us. Should be ashamed of yourselves. Business is business and so be it the Pats have clearly moved on as has Wes. So let it be and grow up.

Gronkastic wrote: »
    Eh, he got a better offer last year from the Pats, it's not their fault he didn't take it.

For what I remember Welker wanted a longer deal last year. Fair is fair. He would have been 33 and thrown on the scrap heap.

Besides a lot changes in a year. Perhaps Welker feels its a fairer amount, given that he's a year older.

And why would he turn down $9m as a franchisee for $16m whence could renegotiate this year?

Put yourself in his shoes. Patriots offering you a lower contract so you know your days are numbered and then Denver offer you a contract and they have built a good squad and have Peyton Manning. where would you go? Personally I would have done the same thing Denver > Tennessee any day. Another realistic chance of getting to a bowl for sure.

The Broncos offer $12 million and the Titans offered $15 million. And you expect us to believe he went with Manning & the Broncos to win something? Sorry I don't swallow that. He didn't throw away $3 million unless he really did want to stick it to the Pats as reports have said. So that makes him a bitter little kunt in my eyes.

Why didn't he take the better offer last year from the Pats, if all he was interested in was winning and not money? Surely staying a Patriot was his best chance of success. Or is it simply because he got greedy and rejected a good offer last year. I'm glad to see him gone, because him always came up with at least one big game drop.

Remember this..
    On third-and-8 with New England leading 13-7, the Patriots drove to the Ravens' 34-yard line aiming to take control of the game. New England quarterback Tom Brady found Welker wide open to his left that would have been another first down. Instead, Welker dropped the pass and forced New England to punt. The game went downhill for the Patriots after that.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/54445/wes-welker-future-with-patriots-in-limbo

The Broncos offer $12 million and the Titans offered $15 million. And you expect us to believe he went with Manning & the Broncos to win something? Sorry I don't swallow that. He didn't throw away $3 million unless he really did want to stick it to the Pats as reports have said. So that makes him a bitter little kunt in my eyes.

Grow up. If you seriously think Welker did it just to get back at the Patriots you are not a real Pats fans and nothing but bitter. We all have watched Welker over the years and he is nothing but a winner. Sure he has been whiney over his contract but a winner is a winner and the Pats made it clear we didn't want him anymore. So he chose a team he has a chance to win on. Players do it all the time. It is sad you can't see that.

If you had the option of a chance of a Superbowl one more time or the Titans you would take the previous. All of us would. So why is Wes any different? It is obvious he was then thinking where is the best place to go when he realised he was never going to get the contract he wanted.
    Why didn't he take the better offer last year from the Pats, if all he was interested in was winning and not money? Surely staying a Patriot was his best chance of success. Or is it simply because he got greedy and rejected a good offer last year.

I already explained this to you as did davyjose. Stop being such a bitter ****. He wanted a 3 year deal last year hence the whole issue with contract talks in the first place. We tagged him at 1yr and 9m so Welker played the odds and took the tag and then decided to renegotiate this year. It didn't pay off for him but bringing up last year is pointless. But only bitter fans are going to do that. Well done.
    I'm glad to see him gone, because him always came up with at least one big game drop.

Remember this..

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/54445/wes-welker-future-with-patriots-in-limbo

Oh Hindsight you wonderful thing you. Such a bitter post and honestly you are the type of sports fan I hate nevermind Pats fan. Once a player is gone you make him out to be sh*te to justify your opinion of him. Had he stayed I bet you any money you would be singing a different tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

The Broncos offer $12 million and the Titans offered $15 million. And you expect us to believe he went with Manning & the Broncos to win something?

Eh, of course you're expected to believe it. Because it's obviously true. Are you saying if it was between the Broncos and Jets, he would have chosen the Jets? :rolleyes:
    I'm glad to see him gone, because him always came up with at least one big game drop.

You're a regular Skip Bayless.
    So that makes him a bitter little kunt in my eyes.

What age are you, 12?

Why didn't he take the better offer last year from the Pats, if all he was interested in was winning and not money?

16 mil over 3, or 9 + 12 (21 all guaranteed) over 3.

I think he chose the better offer.

• Advertisement

Why do you keep going back to last year? It is irrelevant.

Weren't we discussing contracts? So doesn't that make what I said totally relevant?
    Big deal he thought he would get more this year and was wrong. But the Pats made is quite clear we didn't want him anymore and had moved on. Being bitter at Wes is the most ridiculous thing ever.

Welker's is gone, I'm over it. I was prepared for it since last season. What's the point at boo hooing and finger pointing at Belichick or Kraft? They made what they undoubtably felt was the best decison for the team and the franchise. They've being doing that since they teamed up, no, they don't always get it right, but such is life.

I didn't want Amendola and I posted that in here last week. But yes I admit, I can see their logic for signing him. They gambled on bringing Welker here all those years ago. So Amendola is obviously a very similar move by them. If the guy delivers then it can bring a very good payback.

Welker's a big boy, the NFL is a ruthless business, there are no victims here. so no, I won't be making Belichick or Kraft out to be the boogeyman for losing Wes. And no I'm not a blind follower, I'm just a realist.

If you had the option of a chance of a Superbowl one more time or the Titans you would take the previous. All of us would.

I wouldn't :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I wouldn't :(

You're too sentimental mate!

Eh, of course you're expected to believe it. Because it's obviously true. Are you saying if it was between the Broncos and Jets, he would have chosen the Jets? :rolleyes:

No, I'm saying it looks like he turned down an extra $3million to stick it to the Pats. But if it was only about the winning? Doesn't logic dicate he'd would have been better staying a Patriot, instead of going to the Broncos?

You're a regular Skip Bayless.
    What age are you, 12?

Such insults really say more about you, than they do about me pal.

No, I'm saying it looks like he turned down an extra $3million to stick it to the Pats. But if it was only about the winning? Doesn't logic dicate he'd would have been better staying a Patriot, instead of going to the Broncos?

Welker can't see into the future. He took the Franchise tag last year hoping to renegotiate this year and it turned out the Pats didn't want to re-negotiate this year. Lets look at last year plus this year since you and corveus are hell bent on doing so:

Pats : 1 yr 9m + 2yrs 10m plus incentive = 19m
    Pats + Broncos : 1yr 9m + 2yrs 12 guaranteed = 21m

Had he taken the 2yr 16m last year he would be in his last year and still be making less than he is now.

Broncos have given him a better deal based on last year and he has the chance of reaching the deep playoffs. The Titans sure offers him 3m more but offers him not much really other than money.

Common sense for a winner and someone with ambition is to settle on the team that has the best outlook for him after the Pats sent him packing. So you step out from behind that bitterness of yours and grow up.

This is real good news, adding that $2.5 million would be handy. With recent reports of Lloyd getting cut and saving us $3 million in the process. I wonder will they keep him and see this $2.5 million as covering his bonuses that were due for the year.

Such insults really say more about you, than they do about me pal.
    Don't get all haughty now. You said some ridic stuff there and got the deserved replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Reports are saying we signed Amendola tuesday, before Wes signed. It looks like we made a decision to move on when he explored the market. It isn't a matter of one side walking away, it's on the pats and Wes.

Also in no world is sticking it to the Patriots worth 3m, playing with Manning and having the chance to win a ring is. Seriously a choice between the Titans and the Broncos isn't much of a choice for anybody who seriously wants to win. I'm also full sure that if he went to the Titans for more money, you'd be calling him a mercenary who only wanted $$$.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Looks like the tuck rule will soon be changed. Any mention of that rule should bring a smile to a few faces in here.

• Advertisement

I usually wish former players the very best with their new team but in this instance I hope he is an epic fail in Denver.

Then we can use the fact that Brady is just so much better than Manning and made Welker look good.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement