Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

There's been a few bad balloon accidents in Eygpt, I think around 18 or 19 people died in a bad crash in Eygpt last month. I was there 8 years ago on holiday, doing a Nile trip thingy and I just didn't feel safe going up in one.

Anyway, hopefully Donté will make a speedy recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

There's been a few bad balloon accidents in Eygpt, I think around 18 or 19 people died in a bad crash in Eygpt last month. I was there 8 years ago on holiday, doing a Nile trip thingy and I just didn't feel safe going up in one.

Anyway, hopefully Donté will make a speedy recovery.

Jebus I read that completely wrong I thought the article I looked at said 6 :eek: 18 or 19 though fook ballooning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Fax machines, hot air balloons... I'm predicting a butter churn related disaster to hit the NFL next.

Fax machines, hot air balloons... I'm predicting a butter churn related disaster to hit the NFL next.

Give it time the Jets will be looking for some sort of excuse.

The great thing about the Wilson signing I think is not only the power he brings, but his great wealth of experience. McCourty and Tavon Wilson should learn a lot from him while playing the safety position. Land Abraham and get either Freeney or Dumervil. Draft some future talent and if Dennard escapes jail time, then I'll be positively drooling to see our defense in action for 2013.

• Advertisement

Reports that Abrahram and Freeney have left town this afternoon. :(

Reports that Abrahram and Freeney have left town this afternoon. :(

Oh well going well for a while pity we couldn't lock either of them in. So much more work to do now for our pass rush.

Lloyd is gonzo

TO. wrote: »
    Lloyd is gonzo

Jaysus, that's a fair clear out of the receiving corp. So we save a few million on his bonus which gives us more cap space, but who will we spend it on??????

Talk is the let Lloyd go as he was due a bonus so dumping him was the safe thing to do. Doesn't mean we wont bring him back cheaper.

Way I see it we will tie up Vollmer and probably take a shot at Lloyd or Sanders and then depend on the draft for everything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Lloyd is gonzo
    Lloyd will go back to the Pats for a reduced salary - he can only play in a McDaniels offensive scheme.

he can only play in a McDaniels offensive scheme.

Every time I hear this I laugh. Such nonsense.

His first 3 years in the Pros he actually did alright with the 49ers but was never really had good QBs throwing to him. His rookie year he saw very little playing time but his 2nd and 3rd season he had Ken Dorsey and Tim Rattay throwing to him and the 49ers weren't exactly stellar back then. Lloyd still managed over 1000 yards and 11 TDs with the 49ers before being shipped to Joe Gibb's Redskins who lets be fair weren't exactly a Pass friendly team.

Then he went to the Bears another run happy team. Barely got game time there before moving to the Broncos and the rest is history. McDaniels eventually gave him a proper shot and was able to get the best out of a guy who was unlucky through his career. He clearly has talent.

McDaniels Offensive scheme is probably the first scheme he played in that favours a WR like Lloyd. Most WR if given the chance would love to play in an in depth pass happy scheme as it means they will see more than an average amount of passes thrown their way. But you go back and look at his career Lloyd always showed he had the ability. There are plenty of schemes in the NFL right now that suit his style.

The misconception is that Lloyd followed McDaniels and that is why he can only play in his system. The real truth is Lloyd gets catches yards and TDs because of McDaniels so why wouldn't you follow a guy who puts faith in your ability. What is testament to Lloyd is that he understands football very well if he can get a full grasp on McDaniel's system and more importantly the Pat's system.

Elvis Dumervil has sacked his agent, reports that the Ravens are also sniffing around.

* Oops, just seen TO mentioned the sacking earlier in the FA thread *

Yes we might bring him back for reduced money, but in case we don't, I'll always remember Llyod for this........

7A3F4N.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gronkastic

Lloyd will go back to the Pats for a reduced salary - he can only play in a McDaniels offensive scheme.

A simple :rolleyes: should suffice here I think.

A bit worried about the WR we signed Donald Jones, apparently he has underlying health issue (kidney related). Now the Pats have protected themselves here, because nothing is gauranteed and he doesn't even get a signing bonus. But why even take a risk on a guy who might be risk? Makes no sense to me, I'd much prefer us to sign a guy who has no questionable health issues waiting in the background.

I was wondering what happened with Jake Long but apparently he is mulling over going to St Louis or staying in Miami. both teams have made offers to him and it is now down to him to decide.

According to a few analysts this is the reason why Vollmer hasn't been offered a contract or hasn't taken a contract. Either Pats are waiting to see what the going rate is for Long or Vollmer is holding on also to use it as bargaining.

Threw this over on the FA thread. Food for thought reading through the analysts twitter posts and blogs and sites.

Patriots have signed OT Will Svitek formerly of the Atlanta Falcons.

Now that Long has signed for the Rams I would expect the Pats to seal up Vollmer over the next few days.

Now that Long has signed for the Rams I would expect the Pats to seal up Vollmer over the next few days.

Everybody was waitng to see how the OL market would be set with the Long move. So I think you're right about things getting sorted in the next few days. Svitek adds a bit of cover that's needed, but I don't know much about him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I've reading around but uable to see reliable cap numbers for the Pats.

It looks like after cutting Lloyd, we are close to $11m in space. What do you think we can get for that?

Vollmer $5m
    WR or Resign LLoyd $2.5m
    Freeney or Abraham $2.5m
    Edelman $1m

Not a lot of space and optimistic signing numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Hazys wrote: »

It looks like after cutting Lloyd, we are close to $11m in space. What do you think we can get for that?

Vollmer $5m
    WR or Resign LLoyd $2.5m
    Freeney or Abraham $2.5m
    Edelman $1m

A lot of players are willing to take a lower salary to join a team that has a chance at a superbowl. So at least you have that going in your favour. I can't see the pats being able to afford both Vollmer and freeny/abraham though when you consider you need some WR depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

A lot of players are willing to take a lower salary to join a team that has a chance at a superbowl. So at least you have that going in your favour. I can't see the pats being able to afford both Vollmer and freeny/abraham though when you consider you need some WR depth.

I think the Vollmer figure isnt far off. Long got around 9m a year.

Hazys wrote: »

Vollmer $5m
    WR or Resign LLoyd $2.5m
    Freeney or Abraham $2.5m
    Edelman $1m

Its a tough one alright with Long getting a 4yr 36m contract it will be interesting to see what Vollmer and his agent are looking for and what the Pats are willing to Pay.

The WR market is completely soft could even get Lloyd back on a 1 year 2m contract. Same with Abraham and Freeney their market is also soft and age is against them.

Edelman is a tough one and its hard to say how the Pats value him as he is down as a special teamer and not a WR right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

The WR market is completely soft could even get Lloyd back on a 1 year 2m contract. Same with Abraham and Freeney their market is also soft and age is against them.

now.

It's def a buyers market for teams with these older pass-rushers now. Abraham, Freeney, Van Den Bosch, Umenyiora and Ray Edwards all still looking for work.

Of course we will also have to set aside maybe $3 millionish from our remainng cap space for upcoming draft signings.

I can't see us tying up Vollmer and at the same times landing the likes of Dumervil. A bidding war will break out around Dumervil and even if we had the cap space, we all know the Pats stay clear of bidding wars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Kraft has been criticising Welker's agent. Says that the suggestion that there was no deal offered early was bogus, said that the deal they offered him would make him $8 million in his first year. Insinuates that he will only be in Denver for one year.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Kraft has been criticising Welker's agent. Says that the suggestion that there was no deal offered early was bogus, said that the deal they offered him would make him $8 million in his first year. Insinuates that he will only be in Denver for one year.

Both Kraft and Welker's agent need to give it a rest at this point and move on. I bet you anything both sides have said things that aren't true or some of what we read is simply not true. One of the smartest things I read online recently.

The truth is somewhere in between.

• Advertisement

For those who haven't seen his quotes today here they are:
    "Anyone who doubts [we wanted Wes back], just doesn't get it."

"We were willing to pay [Welker] slightly above market value." Said agents "played poker with us."

"I love the Tuck Rule. And forever will." Proposal to do away with it at these meetings. "Might have to abstain,"

Robert Kraft says Tom Brady never demanded Wes be signed. Said Brady isn't upset. Also adds, "I don't answer to Tom Brady."

Kraft says Wes Welker says he was their "first choice." Calls Amendola their "alternative." Blames Welker's agent for pricing him too high

Robert Kraft says Welker accepted a deal in Denver for less money than Pats offered. Saying Welker's deal in Denver is really 1-year deal

Kraft: "Unfortunately, we couldn't give Wes everything he wanted." Said #Patriots have to focus on defense, too, in free agency.

A few things on this that is bugging me. He comes off bitter. Most of us as Pats are used to the Pats not giving any details and just getting on with it and Mike Reiss said it right:
    @MikeReiss Been covering Patriots since 1997 and have never heard team provide so much detail on contract situation.

I have to say I don't believe either sides story 100%. As I said above the truth is somewhere in between.

Last thing but Danny Amendola must be hearing these and be delighted by the vote of confidence by Kraft. Even if he was your second choice banging on about it to the press is hardly going to boost the lads confidence.

This dudes tweets annoy me but he is right:
    ThePatriotWay ‏@ThePatriotWay

Robert Kraft, not following #ThePatriotWay ... I'm in complete shock they broke protocol over this. Move on, ignore the noise.

Full thing here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/18/kraft-insists-welker-first-choice-but-agent-missed-mark/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement