Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gronkastic

Delighted we have kept Vollmer and it does look like a fine piece of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

So much for our veteran pass rusher moves. We had Freeney and Abraham visit. Then it looks like the Dumervil situation threw a spanner in the works, yet nothing appears to have happened. All very frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

So much for our veteran pass rusher moves. We had Freeney and Abraham visit. Then it looks like the Dumervil situation threw a spanner in the works, yet nothing appears to have happened. All very frustrating.

I think you'll pick up whichever one of those two doesnt sign for Denver at bargain price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

That will be Freeney more then likely, if it does actually happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

• Advertisement

Masked Man wrote: »

Very nice and Gronk does a lot of stuff like that. Of course the wider media is only ever interested in Gronk, when he has a few beers or throws a few wrestling moves.

kryogen wrote: »
    That will be Freeney more then likely, if it does actually happen

Not looking likely now, apparently he's currently pushing the Broncos hard and demanding $6 million a year from them. Which is a little bit ambitious to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Belichick was in South Florida doing private workouts the other day. He had PW's with CB Kayvon Webster, DT Cory Grissom and OLB Sam Barrington.

Imo the one to watch off that list is Kayvon Webster. Belichick worked out McCourty a couple of years ago and last year he worked out Alfonzo Dennard.

So lets have a look at Webster. My thoughts is he looks like an intelligent football player who is good at reading and reacting to the play and he is fast. He clocked a 4.41 at the combine and here is the note from his pro-day.
    Kayvon Webster, CB (5-10 5/8, 197 pounds) — The agile cornerback clocked in a 4.17 in the short shuttle run and went 6.89 in the cone drill. He has already taken part in workouts with the New England Patriots and Carolina Panthers, and has one scheduled with the Miami Dolphins. Webster showed off his speed last month at the NFL Scouting Combine with a 4.41 40.
    http://blogs.nfl.com/2013/03/24/four-south-florida-players-show-off-speed-at-pro-day/

While I was looking at that note I also seen the other workout reports and two of them matter I think, firstly as said above we worked out Grissom and we certainly do need a backup for Wilfork, Just from the video of Grissom I thought he gets a good push initially but doesn't seem to maintain it. He was double teamed quite a bit though. After reading a bit more I noticed he has been injured quite a bit and missed spring practice last year. Its very hard to properly judge him and obvious why BB would work him out privately.
    Cory Grissom, NT (6-1 3/4, 303 pounds) — The defensive standout had a good position workout and went 4.82 in the 40. He recorded 24 reps in bench press at the standard 225 pounds.
    and this guy isn't ranked at all but figures are just too impressive to ignore.
    George Baker, CB (5-10 3/4, 183 pounds) — Recorded an impressive 4.31 40 to go along with his 39 1/2-inch vertical jump and 4.36 short shuttle run.
    Finally the first game that came up when I youtubed Webster and the same for Grissom. There was no game for Sam Barrington and I'm not putting up a highlights video.

Good stuff EE and I do really like the look of that Kayvon Webster.

Full details of Vollmer's contract warts and all..
    Terms
    4 years, maximum value of $27 million

Signing bonus
    $7 million

Base salaries
    2013: $1.25 million
    2014: $2 million
    2015: $2.25 million
    2016: $2.25 million

Salary cap charges
    2013: $3 million
    2014: $5.75 million
    2015: $6.6875 million
    2016: $6.6875 million

Incentives
    2013:
    $750,000 (if he plays 90 percent of offensive snaps)
    $250,000 (if he makes Pro Bowl)

2014:
    $1 million (if he plays 80 percent of offensive snaps)
    $2 million (if he plays 90 percent of offensive snaps)

2015:
    $750,000 (if he plays 80 percent of offensive snaps)
    $1.75 million (if he plays 90 percent of offensive snaps)

2016:
    $750,000 (if he plays 80 percent of offensive snaps)
    $1.75 million (if he plays 90 percent of offensive snaps)

Roster bonuses
    2013:
    None

2014:
    $1 million (if he plays 80 percent of snaps the prior year; payment due on third day of league year)

2015:
    $1 million (if he plays 80 percent of snaps the prior year; payment due on third day of league year)
    $62,500 per game he is active

2016:
    $62,500 per game he is active

KEY NOTES: The salary cap charges listed here are based on the present snapshot, but they could change in 2014, 2015 and 2016 based on incentives/bonuses. … On the playing-time incentives, Vollmer wouldn’t earn the total of both numbers if he exceeds 90 percent (e.g. in 2014, he would earn $2 million, not $3 million, if he plays 90 percent of the offensive snaps). … Here is a look at Vollmer’s past playing time stats for context.

QUICK-HIT THOUGHTS: As we thought when the deal was officially announced, this will pay Vollmer at a top-market rate if he stays healthy and performs at his usual high level. The deal protects the Patriots if Vollmer does not stay healthy, which was probably a concern based on some of Vollmer’s injury history (knee, back). Now that we have all the details, including cap charges, this a “real” contract that Vollmer and the team should be able to see to its conclusion as long as Vollmer stays healthy.
    A nice keep everyone happy kind of deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Have to say, I'm not all that impressed with the Webster video.

When he's dropped back in zone he stands straight up, meaning he has to adjust his body position again before he can actually come forward to make a play, he seems to get flat-footed quite a bit and he's losing receivers by focusing on the QB to much.

A guy like that will be picked apart by an NFL offense.

Grissom looks like a decent player, but we're going to be a long time looking for another Wilfork.

BizzyC wrote: »
    Have to say, I'm not all that impressed with the Webster video.

When he's dropped back in zone he stands straight up, meaning he has to adjust his body position again before he can actually come forward to make a play, he seems to get flat-footed quite a bit and he's losing receivers by focusing on the QB to much.

:confused: That can't be the same guy I was looking at. Because the Kayvon Webster i saw in the video, looked like a good game reader and got around the park pretty well.

I might be being a bit harsh, hard to know why he was releasing/ignoring receivers in some situations without getting a full view on what the rest of the secondary was up to, but he seems to have eyes on the QB in all of the zone plays.

You can get away with that in College, not in the NFL though.

As we well know, many a hot shot high draft pick has ended up as a complete disater. And many undrafted players have taken off in the NFL. But regardless of their draft status or lack of, it's impossible to prejudge any player before he steps onto an NFL field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Bill was the only HC who personally attended UConn's pro day yesterday, where word has it that Nick Williams was impressive. He's (supposedly) a very good kick and punt returner who impressed so much at UConn that he played his way onto offense, and played in the slot last year. Inevitable comparisons to Welker have arisen given that he's also a small, shifty, white dude who could go undrafted. But one to watch, even if it's as an undrafted free agent, because I strongly feel we'll have to pick up a rookie as back up to Amendola should Edelman not return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,220 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Michael Jenkins has signed on for the Patriots.

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/317334170491842561

Jason La Canfora

Patriots are signing WR Michael Jenkins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Michael Jenkins has signed on for the Patriots.

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/317334170491842561

Jason La Canfora

Patriots are signing WR Michael Jenkins

Ugh...I'm hoping just training camp fodder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hazys wrote: »
    I'd imagine so, we usually sign two or three vets for that. I gotta say though I always thought Jenkins would be good with a top QB.

Hazys wrote: »

+1, I'm really hoping also. Because I hope to God this isn't an alternative to Emmanuel Sanders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'd imagine so, we usually sign two or three vets for that. I gotta say though I always thought Jenkins would be good with a top QB.

Me too. Would be very interested to see what he can do with Brady throwing the football to him. He has shown glimpses of ability over the last few seasons when fully fit and made some very nice catches with the Vikes.

• Advertisement

TO. wrote: »
    Me too. Would be very interested to see what he can do with Brady throwing the football to him. He has shown glimpses of ability over the last few seasons when fully fit and made some very nice catches with the Vikes.

I do like his size and he has good solid hands, but he no longer has any speed or seperation. Hence his nickname 'Molasses Mick'. Maybe the Pats are gonna try and use his size to be a Boldin style receiver. Only training camp will reveal all for us.

It's only coming out now that McCourty had shoulder surgery shortly after the AFC Championship game. Reports haven't specified which shoulder, but the surgery was considered routine and was aimed at strengthening the shoulder. Which leads me to believe it could be the right shoulder, because he had a seperated right shoulder back in 2011.

Good to hear that Amendola and Brady are reported to be scheduling some early workouts together for next week.

Good to hear that Amendola and Brady are reported to be scheduling some early workouts together for next week.

This has almost become routine now for Brady. No QB has had to go through the amount of changes at WR, that he has since he became the franchise QB.

Gronkastic wrote: »
    This has almost become routine now for Brady. No QB has had to go through the amount of changes at WR, that he has since he became the franchise QB.

Very true and it's mad that all the WR's currently on the roster, have never caught a pass from Brady. And when you consider that the only deep threat option he ever really had was Moss, it makes his career stats even more amazing.

I haven't been paying as much attention to the 1st round potential picks this year as others.
    I'm not all that enamored by the end of round talents.

Who are we thinking is the most likely?
    Mock drafts seem to be split between WR, CB, S and DE.

While WR & CB would be my top priorities are we likely to get good value at 29?

I wouldn't be surprised if we traded down this year...

I really hope we draft high for a WR this year and maybe take one in the first or the second round. Drafting a really talented young WR and then hopefully adding Emmanuel Sanders, would leave me pretty excited about 2013. My draft priorities would be WR,CB,S and DT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I really hope we draft high for a WR this year and maybe take one in the first or the second round. Drafting a really talented young WR and then hopefully adding Emmanuel Sanders, would leave me pretty excited about 2013. My draft priorities would be WR,CB,S and DT.
    Outside of the elite prospects WR is a lottery of a position to draft for in the early rounds, and WRs traditionally take a couple of years to break out anyway. If you look at the WRs taken from picks 25-65 in the last 3 drafts you'll see that most of them have yet to produce in the NFL.

2012: AJ Jenkins, Brian Quick, Stephen Hill, Alshon Jeffrey, Ryan Broyles, Rueben Randle
    2011: Jonathan Baldwin, Titus Young, Torrey Smith, Greg Little, Randall Cobb
    2010: Arrelious Benn, Golden Tate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Chuck Fairbanks died today due to cancer. Chuck was Pats HC from 73-78 RIP Chuck.

Screenshot2011-12-21at9.33.14PM_display_image.png?1324521291

• Advertisement

Many so called elite prospects have and will continue to end up as draft busts and drafting any player is a lottery. But this year has the best spread of talent at WR for quite a few years. And for once we need to specifically target a WR who can strectch the field. So it would be nice for a change to see them going high for one. Brady ain't gettign any younger so they really need to get cracking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement