Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Shocked he got jail time, seems waaay ott.

But anyway, its a slap on the wrist for him and hopefully it inspires him to work hard and reach his full potential.

I read that they are applying for his jail time to be suspended or eliminated if all the terms and conditions of his sentence are met by March 2014, which would seem fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Hazys wrote: »
    Shocked he got jail time, seems waaay ott.

It is ott, even the prosecution didn't want him to serve any jail time. So it's unusual for the judge to go against their recommendations. I followed the trial closely and the prosecution case was bullshít. He was grabbed from behind by a cop who didn't identify himself properly. So the conviction was a shock. Anyway, that's all done with now. There's also a strong possibility that the sentence will be suspended next year, after he fullfills his community service obligations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Wouldn't be surprised to see Goodell hand out some sort of suspension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

It is ott, even the prosecution didn't want him to serve any jail time. So it's unusual for the judge to go against their recommendations. I followed the trial closely and the prosecution case was bullshít. He was grabbed from behind by a cop who didn't identify himself properly. So the conviction was a shock. Anyway, that's all done with now. There's also a strong possibility that the sentence will be suspended next year, after he fullfills his community service obligations.

One thing that bugs me about all of this is that it took 4 cops to get him into the car. Yes he barely struck the officer the fact is he still hit him and resisted arrest when other cops showed up. After he realised other cops got involved he should have given up and just gone quietly.

Some states take any sort of assault on cops very seriously as do some judges. And the severity on how you strike an officer of the law in the US is irrelevant. Striking him from soft to hard generally gets you into the same trouble as does resisting arrest and fighting in the streets and refusing to stop.

The NFL can't really ban him as this happened Pre NFL days but having said that Rog doesn't seem to follow any realistic criteria when he hands out bans.

He has learned the hard way in all of this. He most likely wont serve the 30 days as you said but he can count himself very lucky.

• Advertisement

TO. wrote: »
    The NFL can't really ban him as this happened Pre NFL days but having said that Rog doesn't seem to follow any realistic criteria when he hands out bans.

Sadly, Goodell broke precedent on the whole pre-NFL thing when he suspended Terrelle Pryor for the whole Ohio State scandal. It's ridiculous, but as you said, it doesn't seem like Goodell and the NFL as a whole have any consistency on these things.

Sadly, Goodell broke precedent on the whole pre-NFL thing when he suspended Terrelle Pryor for the whole Ohio State scandal. It's ridiculous, but as you said, it doesn't seem like Goodell and the NFL as a whole have any consistency on these things.

The Pryor case was more of a once off in agreement with the NCAA so Pryor couldn't escape his suspension by leaving college.

The precedence was set when the NFL tried to suspend Muhammad Wilkerson for a crime he committed when he wasn't in the league, the NFLPA appealed and it was overturned...no way the NFL is stupid enough to try that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭resdubwhite

infacteh wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but all I remember of Sanders last year was dropping an awful lot of passes, or am I thinking of someone else?
    And as much as I loved the man. All I remember of Wes Welker* is the same. At least Sanders offers some outside routes to boot.

* I know. straight to hell.

The Pryor case was more of a once off in agreement with the NCAA so Pryor couldn't escape his suspension by leaving college.

The precedence was set when the NFL tried to suspend Muhammad Wilkerson for a crime he committed when he wasn't in the league, the NFLPA appealed and it was overturned...no way the NFL is stupid enough to try that again.
    Kendrick ellis wasn't suspended last year either. Although he plays for Rog's beloved Jets.

Kendrick ellis wasn't suspended last year either. Although he plays for Rog's beloved Jets.

Not Wilkerson but Kendrick Ellis...i just presume all Jets are a$$holes :pac:

• Advertisement

Not Wilkerson but Kendrick Ellis...i just presume all Jets are a$$holes :pac:
    I presume there's one or two good eggs. Just can't think of any.

Summary of Edelman's 1 year contract.

Overall terms: 1 year, maximum value of $1.015 million (no guaranteed money)

Base salary: $715,000 (This includes a split, which means if Edelman were to go on injured reserve, his base salary would be reduced to $383,000)

Workout bonus: $50,000

Incentives tied to receptions: The following are the amounts Edelman would receive if he catches a certain number of passes:
    30 receptions: $30,000
    40 receptions: $70,000
    50 receptions: $120,000
    60 receptions: $180,000
    70 receptions: $250,000

Plenty of incentive there, it just all depends on whether he can stay fit.

Summary of Edelman's 1 year contract.

Overall terms: 1 year, maximum value of $1.015 million (no guaranteed money)

Base salary: $715,000 (This includes a split, which means if Edelman were to go on injured reserve, his base salary would be reduced to $383,000)

Workout bonus: $50,000

Incentives tied to receptions: The following are the amounts Edelman would receive if he catches a certain number of passes:
    30 receptions: $30,000
    40 receptions: $70,000
    50 receptions: $120,000
    60 receptions: $180,000
    70 receptions: $250,000

Plenty of incentive there, it just all depends on whether he can stay fit.
    for number 3 on the WR depth chart with Gronk/Hernandez and Ballard at TE

Throw in Vereen and Washington on the check down I would be amazed if he's even targeted 50 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

He's probably betting on the fact that he knows how to be the closest proxy to Welker at the moment.

I reckon that that'll fade though once Brady and Amendola have built a decent relationship.

Gonna be a relatively quite draft from a Pats perspective, with just the 4 picks left (assuming the 3rd round pick will go on Sanders). Or will Bill trade the first pick away for some extra picks later?

Gonna be a relatively quite draft from a Pats perspective, with just the 4 picks left (assuming the 3rd round pick will go on Sanders). Or will Bill trade the first pick away for some extra picks later?

Id say this. I can see him taking a shot in lower rounds to fix our secondary.

TO. wrote: »
    Id say this. I can see him taking a shot in lower rounds to fix our secondary.

Your probably right, because there is enough depth in this years draft to do it alright. My only worry is, I'm getting the impression a lot of teams might also want to trade down.

I can see Spikes and Mallett traded on draft day for picks. I can also see them trade the first rd pick for 2nd and 3rd too.

I can see Spikes and Mallett traded on draft day for picks. I can also see them trade the first rd pick for 2nd and 3rd too.

Whatever about us trying to shop Mallet we wont trade Spikes. As for Mallet we would be lucky to get a 3rd round pick for him and even if we did trade them we wont get picks in this draft it will most likely be 2014 picks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why the hell would they trade Spikes well unless they can't get a deal done with him to stay in New England?

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why the hell would they trade Spikes well unless they can't get a deal done with him to stay in New England?
    They've got two other run stuffing ilb's tied up for another 3 years.
    Mayo and Drafted Hightower last year.

Cannot see them given the cap restrictions in place being able to do a deal at up to 4 or 5 mill a year with Spikes. If they can get a mid rd. pick then they seriously have to consider it.

My two cents anyway. And they desperately need a coverage LB (I'm hoping Wilson becomes that player)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Cannot see them given the cap restrictions in place being able to do a deal at up to 4 or 5 mill a year with Spikes. If they can get a mid rd. pick then they seriously have to consider it.

My two cents anyway. And they desperately need a coverage LB (I'm hoping Wilson becomes that player)
    Wilson is a SS not a LB. The big problem last year was our LBs being asked to do too much in zone coverage because of the weakness at SS. Adrian Wilson changes that because he can and will play the position well. This leaves Spikes and Hightower with less ground to cover and I think they can do a good job with less emphasis on them moving at pace which is what they both lack.

3 is better than 2 and having 3 quality guys rather than two helps with depth also. Even with Spikes only having a year left I can't see the Pats dealing off quality for a possibility in the draft.

Or look at it this way. They keep Spikes through camp and realise a draft pick they made by dealing elsewhere is better than him and they deal him out pre-season for more picks next year. Or they keep Spikes for one more season and hopefully get a solid season out of him and worry about his contract when it is actually time to like the Pats always do with a lot of players.

We do to an extent but our secondary is more of a problem here. But very few options out there including the draft. There are a few guys in the draft but how ready will they be. Doesn't make sense offloading Spikes for a pick on a guy who might not work out.

Spikes, Mayo and Hightower make a formidable run stopping wall, I can't see that changing for 2013. Mallett might be a possibility, but I think they'll wait. If he has an excellent preseason then his stock will only rise.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Wilson is a SS not a LB. The big problem last year was our LBs being asked to do too much in zone coverage because of the weakness at SS. Adrian Wilson changes that because he can and will play the position well. This leaves Spikes and Hightower with less ground to cover and I think they can do a good job with less emphasis on them moving at pace which is what they both lack.
    Wilson payed the hybrid coverage LB/Safety role in college. That's where I expect him to settle in the team. Kinda like Guyton. only with talent.

Spikes, Mayo and Hightower make a formidable run stopping wall, I can't see that changing for 2013. Mallett might be a possibility, but I think they'll wait. If he has an excellent preseason then his stock will only rise.
    Pats are getting killed on 3rd and 10-15 yards. That's a weakness with three run stuffers at LB.

Spikes is a pretty integral part of our defence, I haven't seen any suggestions he would be traded until now and I dont want to see any either!

Pats are getting killed on 3rd and 10-15 yards. That's a weakness with three run stuffers at LB.

Not necessarily. The Pats use a lot of Nickel and Dime packages so its all about the secondary and especially the strong safety. But even if when the Pats don't use Nickel and Dime packages it depends on what coverage is used before you start blaming Linebackers.

Generally were we are killed is our SS over the last few years have been unable to cover the slots/TE on certain coverages including in Nickel/Dime sets. Belichick has always had a habit of not putting too much pressure on the linebackers in coverage over the years.

Between our Secondary been unable to dictate the game on 3rd down and our Pass rush letting us down at times we generally give up easy yards. I honestly don't think we need a coverage linebacker. Maybe a hybrid run stopping coverage guy would be better.

Wilson payed the hybrid coverage LB/Safety role in college. That's where I expect him to settle in the team. Kinda like Guyton. only with talent.

In Nickel and Dime situations only. And not only that this is the NFL and the game is very different to have hybrid Linebacker/Safeties especially at Wilson's size.

• Advertisement

Just on this also. Giving up TDs and getting less sacks on First down were a bigger problem for us in 2012 especially compared to previous years.

Screenshot2013-03-05at8.47.01AM_original.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement