Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I see the Pats have now terminated the contract of Brian Waters, from the Reserve/Did Not Report list. He's now a free agent and good riddance to the príck.

In fairness didnt the guy just want to be closer to his family?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

He's a grown man and a professional athlete. No one forced him to sign with the Patriots. But since he did, he should honour the contract and committments he himself made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Not really...he wanted more money plain and simple.

He signed a two year contract, played very well his first year and then wanted more money to play in his second and held out. The Pats offered him an increased salary to what they thought was fair, he wanted 5X his current contract. The Pats thought this was all a front to get himself cut and they were not going to be bullied into cutting him.

The only reason and rightfully so, the Pats didn't cut him loose during last season was the fear he would just join the Texans, an AFC rival. I'm surprised the Pats cut him this off-season as they didn't have too as they still held onto his last year in his contract after failing to report for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭resdubwhite

was looking for a serious amount of extra money. But I think that was in order to get the Texans trade.

more importantly. Does that change cap figure in anyway. Is that salary removed or was it ever even in the books for the year.

Although the point is mute now. I don't see any major FA's coming to Foxborough post draft. Unless theres a tasty player cut elsewhere.

And no. I don't mean Tim Tebow.

FA John Abrahams is still out there and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he landed with us. He would bring a good veteran presence to a young group of pass rushers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Full list of Rookie Free Agents we brought in for mini camp

P Ryan Allen (Louisiana Tech),
    FB Ben Bartholomew (Tennessee),
    DL Dewayne Cherrington (Mississippi State),
    S Kanorris Davis (Troy),
    OL Elvis Fisher (Missouri),
    TE Brandon Ford (Clemson),
    DL Cory Grissom (South Florida),
    RB Quentin Hines (Akron),
    CB Brandon Jones (Rutgers),
    OL Josh Kline (Kent State),
    OL Chris McDonald (Michigan State),
    WR TJ Moe (Missouri),
    CB Stephon Morris (Penn State),
    LB Ian Sluss (Portland State),
    OL Matt Stankiewitch (Penn State),
    TE Zach Sudfeld (Nevada),
    WR Kenbrell Thompkins (Cincinnati),
    DL Joe Vellano (Maryland)
    and LS Mike Zupancic (Eastern Michigan).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Masked Man wrote: »

Was just coming on to post a link to this. Really good read on Brady with a few tidbits that I didnt know before. I really liked one paragraph in particular:

"A few months ago, Brady watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi, a documentary about an 85-year-old who loves to cook and wakes up each day trying to improve at doing so. "It smacked me in the face as a reaffirmation," Brady says. "Just be in the moment. What's better than what you're doing? Nothing." He knows, as his dad says, that as soon as Belichick gets "a quarterback who is better for a dollar less, he'll be gone." He won't allow himself to be outworked or overpriced. He won't allow himself to feel doubt. He will always test the limits of what he can control, because it's the only way of controlling what he loves to do."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

That's a great read

I see the Buccs coaching staff are invited to Gillette next week and are apparently really interested in closely examining how the Pats work their logistics, practice seissions and team planning during the season and preseason schedules. There's also now a possibility that the Pats and Buccs, could still be doing joint practices together, despite the early regular season game.That's according to recent comments from Schiano himself. Bill and Greg are a really tight crew and it's nice to see two franchises work so well together.

• Advertisement

Nice little piece here on our new WR Aaron Dobson http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1628411-new-england-patriots-an-in-depth-look-at-new-patriots-wr-aaron-dobson

Drafting him has me all excited, because we've been needing a WR like him for a while now. Having a threat like Dobson will really help keep defenses honest.

Then we have the talented and speedy Boyce, add in Moe and I'm thinking this is prpabaly the best crop of talented young WR's going into camp, that I can remember for many a long year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

So, Jamie Collins vertical leap is pretty impressive, in pads and all....

BI_CVSkCIAEMUkJ.jpg

Dude is a freak. Was watching some of his games during the week I downloaded and kid is a freak. Can't wait to see how the Pats mold him.

Interesting and funny story about Collins. My missus has a throwback with Collins 62 on the back of it my last name of course and the number I play with it since I started in the game. And she was doing groceries last night and some dude walked up and asked was Jamie going to be wearing 62 :D She laughed and had to explain it to him. Damn you Jamie Collins now im going to have to listen to Pats fans tell me Collins doesn't wear 62. Like the Vikings fan in Minnesota who told me Collins sucked back in 2006.

So, Jamie Collins vertical leap is pretty impressive, in pads and all....

BI_CVSkCIAEMUkJ.jpg

Looking at that picture, I think a simple :eek: should suffice.

Here's the best picture I could find of him, setting the all time record for the Broad Jump at the combine.

7XsPCe.jpg

His team mate and likely SMU starting QB next year Kyle Sloter said this about Collins:
    "Jamie is a stud. He is the best athlete I've ever seen with my own eyes. If he had gone to Auburn like he planned to originally, he'd be a first round pick. The dude dunks like LeBron when I played basketball with him. He's a freak. He'll be a long time pro. He'll definitely start." Sloter responded to me in a text after I asked if the Patriots made a good decision. He went on, "I guarantee he ends up being your best draft pick. For his size, he may be the best athlete in the draft. He jumped 41.5 inches [in the vertical jump] at the combine and set the all time record for the broad jump."

"What a lot of people don't realize is that the most defensive plays he sat out in a game was three plays. We didn't even have a second string behind him and we were four deep at the other end because he didn't need one and never came out. His motor is actually unbelievable considering most ends play every other series."

And to back up his LeBron claims...

I also just learned he was a gunner on special teams at SMU, which just shows how much of an athlete he is because that's almost always a WR/DB role.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

best video ever! they all going nuts after it! class!

Blount re-structered his contract today and trade finalised. Good low risk deal for the Pats also:
    But with the Patriots, Blount has agreed to a new contract that pays him a base salary of just $630,000, and a workout bonus of just $50,000

Poor Tom Brady. He's obviously feeling the financial strain following his contract restructure, and has resorted to gambling. He put $4700 on Orb to win. Lucky bastard won around $28k.

Reaction here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1629578-kentucky-derby-2013-video-watch-tom-brady-celebrate-orbs-win

Poor Tom Brady. He's obviously feeling the financial strain following his contract restructure, and has resorted to gambling. He put $4700 on Orb to win. Lucky bastard won around $28k.

Reaction here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1629578-kentucky-derby-2013-video-watch-tom-brady-celebrate-orbs-win

Rumours also circulating that he also bet on the same ticket - that he would throw 6TD passes while winning the next Super Bowl. :D

Couple of guys I'd never heard of released tonight. 3 open spaces on the roster now.

Tebow. It's happening. Just accept it, put a bet on it if makes you feel better ;)

Edit: Looks like one of the guys released was Quentin Hines, one of the small few UDFA rookies I'd heard of. Damn it, there goes one training camp story I would have followed!

• Advertisement

Lavelle Hawkins signed on a 2 year deal. WR with the Titans the last few years. Hasn't done a lot. Got decent enough playing time over the last 2 years.

I see Arrignton gave Adrian Wilson his No. 24 jersey, Arrington is now No. 25. Wilson has worn No. 24 all his career and was desperate to get it. I wonder what else Kyle squeezed from Wilson, after he sent a years supply of nappies to him for the newborn.

Kyle Love and Brandon Deaderick both released in the last 48 hours. Those reports of Armstead looking incredible in his first few sessions mustn't be far off the mark. Can't wait to see him in action. The team must also be happy with Tommy Kelly's effort.

Kyle Love and Brandon Deaderick both released in the last 48 hours. Those reports of Armstead looking incredible in his first few sessions mustn't be far off the mark. Can't wait to see him in action. The team must also be happy with Tommy Kelly's effort.

Kyle Love apparently has lost a lot of weight due to his diabetes and the reports are that is why he was released.

No matter how good Armstead & Co might a look, these guys haven't even put on pads yet. The serious competition has yet to start and that's why I find the release of Brandon Deaderick to be a very strange one. Deaderick might very well have eventually lost out, but reducing competion so early is nonsensical. That said, there are one or two whispers that his release may be due to an off field issue.

Speaking of nonsensical, the release of Love is another strange. He's a recently diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic or NIDDM (Non-Insulin Depenendant Diabetes Mellitus). Type 1 is the one to really worry about. Once his dietary programme and education is sorted out. I could see no reason stopping him from bulking up again and returning to full performance. I don't know who advised the Pats on this, but imo it is an overreaction.

Speaking of nonsensical, the release of Love is another strange. He's a recently diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic or NIDDM (Non-Insulin Depenendant Diabetes Mellitus). Type 1 is the one to really worry about. Once his dietary programme and education is sorted out. I could see no reason stopping him from bulking up again and returning to full performance. I don't know who advised the Pats on this, but imo it is an overreaction.

Right now it has been put down to his Diabetes but Im not so sure that is why the Pats released him. They have known about the Diabetes for a couple of weeks now. If the Diabetes is the issue why release him 2 weeks later. I'm sure the full reason will come out but I will be very surprised if that is the sole reason for his release. The more I read the various reports the more im not convinced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Kyle was claimed by the Jags to add to Deaderick who they also claimed.

All I can think is that Armstead must be really good and they expect to get Tommy Kelly back to his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

eagle eye wrote: »
    Kyle was claimed by the Jags to add to Deaderick who they also claimed.

All I can think is that Armstead must be really good and they expect to get Tommy Kelly back to his best.

Came in here to ask opinions on these two.

From my perspective this looks very promising for the Jags, taking the 2 guys who started alongside Wilfork last season to make up for an absolutely shocking D-Line last season in Jacksonville.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Came in here to ask opinions on these two.

None to pleased myself to see them released so early, especially without even facing proper camp competition. Word of warning though, behind the scenes speculation suggests that Deadrick was released for the off the field issues. And Love's release for medical reasons was totally unnecessary imo. These guys will undoubtedly make an immediate improvement to your D line. So I'd be well pleased if I was you. Two good solid players who will be starters in Jackonsonville.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Goose_Hyypia

More surgery for Gronk.

Fingers crossed when they open up that fore arm again theres no infection.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement