Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The media circus won't get big in New England for a couple of reasons. Firstly its not the Patriot way, secondly Tebow is a late addition to the 90 man roster and finally there is nobody who is going to start suggesting that he should be starting ahead of Tom Brady.

With both the Broncos and Jets there were very good arguments to be made for him starting ahead of Orton and Sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I don't believe that he couldn't have calmed the circus, I'd say he fully embraced it.

Oh stop it please, the guy couldn't escape it ffs.
    Can't fault his work ethic; but leadership? Not sold, not even close. Stealing the spotlight, and not performing close to a NFL QB level, does not equal leadership in my book.

Who did he steal the spotlight from? Because there was no one at the Broncos to steal it from. But for a guy lacking in many core QB skills and handicapped by it. He did a pretty good job doing what he needed to do to win games. That my friend is one of the core components of good leadership.
    He gets credit for the run of games that led to the playoff berth, but nothing mentioned about losing 4 of their last 5 games in 2011.

Your the only person here talking about win-loss records, I was talking about his poor treatment by the Broncos from the outset.

How the Jets failed to use Tebow, has nothing to do with the Broncos.

And that has nothign to do with my earlier point. I said him being sent to the Jets was poor reward for him, especially since he exceeded expectations in 2011. But I suspect that Tebows benching at the Jets, had more to do with internal power struggles and politics, than actually Tebow himself.

Christ, my dog could have had a better season than 'Butt Fumble' Sanchez in 2012. But if you want to talk about how the Jets utilisied him, then maybe take it to the Jets thread.
    Despite Tebow reaching the playoffs in 2011, teams/coaches saw enough faults for the Broncos to trade him..

Everyone knows his faults, but they were damn happy to have him in 2011.

Even conceding that he may have the leadership and working ethic, he just doesn't appear to have the talent.

Belichick will be the judge of that and we'll see how a couple of years of learning from the master Brady will help him. I'm not in a postion to write him off so soon. And to repeat what I said in the Tebow thread earlier....
    This could be the ultimate Belichick transformation project. If he could turn Tebow around as a QB and upskill him, then that could probably be one the greatest player transformations in NFL history. Sitting behind Sanchez he learned nothing, sitting behind Brady he can learn everything. Then again he mightn't even be on the roster come September, only time will tell.

And that is me done talking about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gronkastic

Munstermagic11, you really need to read the lads posts correctly, because some of your points are, well,.................pointless. Which is even all the more baffling if you really are a Pats fan tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

I love Tebow.. Delighted he got a team, was very annoyed by how the Jets treated him. Pity its New England tho... I'm sure he'll get a few plays against the Jets in regular season and do well in them, if he's on the roster..

LONG LIVE TEBOW !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Gronkastic wrote: »
    Munstermagic11, you really need to read the lads posts correctly, because some of your points are, well,.................pointless. Which is even all the more baffling if you really are a Pats fan tbh.

I've been a Pats fan for a little over 17yrs.

What posts are you on about? It's baffling when you don't substantiate your point.

• Advertisement

Oh stop it please, the guy couldn't escape it ffs.
    Of course he could, the guy isn't a mindless child.
    Your the only person here talking about win-loss records, I was talking about his poor treatment by the Broncos from the outset.
    You also mentioned him taking the team to the playoffs, so you did bring his winning record up.
    Where was his leadership in the last 5 games of their 2011 season when they lost 4 games? Don't you think that may have resulted in the Broncos deciding he didn't have a future in Denver?
    But I suspect that Tebows benching at the Jets, had more to do with internal power struggles and politics, than actually Tebow himself.
    Possibly true. But when he did get game time he didn't do well. But, that could be due to those around him.
    But if you want to talk about how the Jets utilisied him, then maybe take it to the Jets thread.
    Well, it does have relevance how he was used and how well it worked out, considering he is now with the Pats, i.e. can we do what the Jets failed to do?
    Everyone knows his faults, but they were damn happy to have him in 2011.
    Yeah, but not post 2011 when they were able to get a real QB. So what if they didn't want him after that.

I'm not saying that Tebow will flop in NE. It's not possible to say that. I can only base it on what I've seen him do for two years, and it's not been impressive.
    I want Pats success, so I hope that I'm wrong and that you are right. I would love it if he explodes under Tom and Bill and is ready to start in 2-3yrs and help continue the Pats dominance of the AFC East, and make us annual AFC/SB contenders. I'm just not sure what he will bring to the team currently that makes us better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

I have to disagree he has made some very good points. Both himself and Corvus are making sense on both sides of the coin. Good to see some healthy debate between Pats fans. :D

Of course he couldn't, the guy isn't a mindless child.

But how could he have stopped the media circus? His only mistake was to be a good living white dude who made the mistake of kneeling down to pray. After that, every evangelical Christian nut got on the bandwagon and the media gladly obliged.
    Where was his leadership in the last 5 games of their 2011 season when they lost 4 games?

You're getting your facts wrong there. The Broncos didn't lose 4 of their last 5 games. They only lost 3 and that was after winning 6 on the trot. And those 3 losses started when we hammered them. Tebow clearly had a crisis of confidence after that. Don't forget, Tebow came in on week 4 and turned things around for the Broncos. Prior to that Orton was dire.

But speaking of leadership, he pulled himself together, rallied after those losses and outplayed Roethlisberger in the first playoff game. Who could forget that 80 Yard game winning TD to win it. And against one of the best secondary’s in the league.

Tebow also came out of that game with a passer rating of 125.6. Which happens to be was the highest in Broncos postseason history. Not bad for a guy who can't play QB. As it stands, Tebow has won more playoff games for the Broncos than Manning has.

Possibly true. But when he did get game time he didn't do well. But, that could be due to those around him.

Let's be honest here, the guy never got or had any real chance at the Jets.

i.e. can we do what the Jets failed to do?

Seriously? If anyone can help and improve him, the Pats can. I think even most Jets fans would accept that. And I mean no disrespect to Jets fans there. But they know they got so much behind the scenes crap going on in Meadowlands.
    Yeah, but not post 2011 when they were able to get a real QB. So what if they didn't want him after that.

But I'm only talking about 2011, because that's the only time the guy ever got a chance to be a starter. When they needed him he was there, Orton wasn't.
    I want Pats success, so I hope that I'm wrong and that you are right. I would love it if he explodes under Tom and Bill and is ready to start in 2-3yrs

Providing he stays healthy, if you think Tebow or anyone will be replacing Brady in 2-3 years? Then you need to think again.

I know I said it already, but that's me done today with Timmy, I'm oncall tonight so I need my sleep.

Hey look it's the Brady bunch, Tom, Tim and Ryan. :D

7UUnFW.jpg

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Patriots coach Bill Belichick didn't mention the signing of No. 3 quarterback Tim Tebow in the opening remarks of his news conference on Tuesday.

The questions came quickly afterwards.

One notable moment came when Belichick was asked if he was concerned about the potential media-based distraction Tebow brings.

“Hopefully there will be more than that at the games on Sunday," Belichick said, smiling.

That was one of the only times that Belichick, who arrived for his news conference in blue coaching gear while twirling a whistle, lightened up during a Tebow-filled news conference.

Asked about Tebow, he said, "Tim is a talented player that is smart and works hard. We’ll see how it goes."

Clearly, Belichick -- who wouldn't reveal at what position he planned for Tebow to work (sources tell ESPN it's quarterback) -- wanted to keep his answers short and his focus on the team.

"We have a team full of players. Everybody has a job to do. I’m sure he’ll try to do it the best he can. We’ll all try to do our jobs the best we can," he said.

Asked about his relationship with Tebow, Belichick said, "I have a lot of respect for Tim."

After about the 14th straight Tebow question, Belichick said, "I think we’ve already talked enough about him ... I think I’ve covered it. Anything else?" "
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4744305/belichick-tebow-talented-smart-works-hard

And that's how you deal with the circus, Belichick style.

But how could he have stopped the media circus? ..... kneeling down to pray.
    He could have easily not done it. He knew it soaked up attention, and he played to it.
    You're getting your facts wrong there. The Broncos didn't lose 4 of their last 5 games. They only lost 3
    Lost PATRIOTS 41 BRONCOS 23
    Lost BRONCOS 14 BILLS 40
    Lost CHIEFS 7 BRONCOS 3
    Won STEELERS 23 BRONCOS 29
    Lost BRONCOS 10 PATRIOTS 45
    Tebow clearly had a crisis of confidence after that.
    I don't know if he did or not. But if he did, that's not true leadership. Leadership is really needed after days like that.
    I'll give him credit for the win over the Steelers, but that 80yard play had two bigger factors; Tomas making a huge play after the catch, and the Steelers lining up with just one deep safety.
    As it stands, Tebow has won more playoff games for the Broncos than Manning has.
    And which would you take to start for your team in the morning :P
    Let's be honest here, the guy never got or had any real chance at the Jets.
    Fully agreed. It's baffling how Ryan stuck with Sanchez. But as you said previously, there was a power struggle there at the time.
    Providing he stays healthy, if you think Tebow or anyone will be replacing Brady in 2-3 years? Then you need to think again.
    Of course I don't think that he will. I don't believe that he's a quality NFL QB, which is why I question the move for him.
    I'm oncall tonight so I need my sleep.
    Later man, have a good rest.

• Advertisement

He could have easily not done it. He knew it soaked up attention, and he played to it.

Too tired, should be asleep, need to sleep, don't agree.

Lost PATRIOTS 41 BRONCOS 23
    Lost BRONCOS 14 BILLS 40
    Lost CHIEFS 7 BRONCOS 3
    Won STEELERS 23 BRONCOS 29
    Lost BRONCOS 10 PATRIOTS 45

Sorry, I thought you were only referring to the regular season earlier, when they lost the last 3 games. But both our stats are technically correct,

I don't know if he did or not. But if he did, that's not true leadership. Leadership is really needed after days like that.
    I'll give him credit for the win over the Steelers, but that 80yard play had two bigger factors; Tomas making a huge play after the catch, and the Steelers lining up with just one deep safety.

But the play wasn't happening without Tebow throwing the ball . It was a winner takes all moment and he took it. Personally, I couldn't ask for more from a player

And which would you take to start for your team in the morning :P

Let me see Manning or Tebow? Well that's obvious, it would have to be Brady of course. :D

Later man, have a good rest.

Thanks, I'm tying to, but no thnaks to you. :(:mad::D

First time I've ever used a triple emoticon. See, I'm fecking delusional now. Wish I could do a homer and send a chicken into work to cover me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Tebow is a one trick pony - he is not and never will be an NFL QB - he cannot throw the ball.

Tebow won the first few games with the Broncos because like everything new it took time for defences to adjust. After half a dozen games every DC in the league had enough tape and knew how to stop Tebow and they stopped him big-time. The guy couldn't score against a Chiefs team that was absolutely brutal and Denver got hammered in the other 3 games by a combined total of 126-47. The only team that didn't plan to stop Tebow were the Steelers and even then it took a combination of defensive injuries and repeated blown coverage in the Steelers secondary for the Broncos to win the game. Every member of the Steelers coaching staff should have been sacked after the game - they blew it - and it would have happened if the coach involved was not Dick LeBeau.

Now I was thrilled as a Broncos fan - after 2 years of McD wrecking the Broncos it was a breath of fresh air and it was constant edge of the seat stuff - but everyone, from Elway down, knew by the first game V the Pats that Tebow was a busted flush.

Last point - Tebowmania - don't think for one moment that it will die down. It is very hard from this far distant to fathom the scale and intensity of Tebowmania right up to the prersent day. It will happen and it will be a distraction - and I suspect that Tebow will be on the scrap heap by the time of the cuts to the final roster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

This is probably the greatest thing i have ever seen in my life:

The reporters are so wet for some information on Tebow, BB just cockblocking the whole situation.

Get fcuk out of town Circus...Hoodie4Life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

he cannot throw the ball.

This isn't true. There isn't a QB in the NFL who "cannot throw the ball". I suggest you read Chris Brown's take on what Tebow's problems are instead of throwing around the same "he can't throw" soundbite that so many people lazily attach to the situation.
    Last point - Tebowmania - don't think for one moment that it will die down. It is very hard from this far distant to fathom the scale and intensity of Tebowmania right up to the prersent day. It will happen and it will be a distraction - and I suspect that Tebow will be on the scrap heap by the time of the cuts to the final roster.

Whether or not he makes the roster is up in the air, but "Tebowmania" in New England will be entirely different than it is in Denver or New York. "Tebowmania" comes about when fans start demanding that Tebow be put in place of the existing QB, because by and large, the existing QB is terrible. That won't even be a factor, and any journalist who suggests it could find himself out of a job for blatant cluelessness. Secondly, there's plenty of people in Denver and New York (Elway, Rex, Johnson) who love the sound of their own voice and were happy to feed the media frenzy. Belichick will give the same response every week - "Tebow works hard and has a part to play, like everyone else on this team". The media will get sick of it, and it will fade away, by and large because the Pats will make it fade away. That's if he even lasts that long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

@TomBradysEgo

Tebow's Top 5 Career moments
    1. Playing with Tom Brady
    2. Losing to Tom Brady
    3. Losing to Tom Brady
    4. Playoff win
    5. released by the Jets

Tebow is a one trick pony - he is not and never will be an NFL QB - he cannot throw the ball.

I am not a big Tebow fan but even I know this is Bullsh1t. I actually hate when people say stuff like this without actually pointing out his real flaws. Bad Mechanics does not mean he cant throw. His throwing motion is the biggest problem as its longer than it should be and his throwing motion is loose. Other than bad mechanics he struggles with reads at times. But all of these are fixable.

I laugh every time I read this nonsense from non Pats fans who think Tebowmania will have any bearing on the Pats. Good to see you are also original when it comes to finding problems with Tebow going to the Pats.

Simple fact is your hatred for Tebow blinds you. I don't like Tebow as a NFL QB but I can accept and do think the Patriots give him the best tools to learn to be a proper NFL QB. Sure he might fail but signing his a total bust before camp has even taken place is absolutely ridicolous at best and destroys your credibility as a poster in my eyes. Tebows problems are fixable and if the Pats are willing to work with him and Tebow puts in the hard work it can be done. But hey you keep up the blind hatred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Enjoy Tebowmania - you have no idea what you have unleashed

How exactly did Tebowmania damage the Broncos?

He was a marked upgrade on the QB you guys had beforehand, took you to the playoffs with a win over the previous season's AFC Champs, and was kicked to the curb when Manning came along.

Really baffled by your dislike of the guy.

davyjose wrote: »
    How exactly did Tebowmania damage the Broncos?

He was a marked upgrade on the QB you guys had beforehand, took you to the playoffs with a win over the previous season's AFC Champs, and was kicked to the curb when Manning came along.

Really baffled by your dislike of the guy.
    You'll find that most of the haters are really anti-religious and the really really bad ones are a different religion and big into it. I'm not religious myself but I don't mind if somebody else is(its their business imo).

eagle eye wrote: »
    You'll find that most of the haters are really anti-religious and the really really bad ones are a different religion and big into it. I'm not religious myself but I don't mind if somebody else is(its their business imo).

Talk about a sweeping generalisation. But when you say hater what are you actually referring to? His QB skills or the man himself? I dont think he is a good QB right now but Religion has nothing to do with my opinion of Tebow and his QB skills. Anyone who tells you they just hate him are stupid at best in my eyes. Hating someone you have had no interaction with is just plain ridiculous.

You might want to define what part of Hater you are referring to because I know plenty of "haters" who are very religious people. That whole haters tag is nonsense also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Tebow won't be a "distraction" in any way shape or form for the Pats. He is a hard worker & alot of his former Broncos teammates have alot of nice things to say about him.

The whole "distraction" thing with the Broncos & Jets was because he was backing up a QB who was playing very poorly. Unfortunately the Pats QB isn't too bad.

I'm no fan of the Pats or Bellichek but he will fit in very well there. Read that there is 4/5 former Gator teammates at the Pats who will help him settle in as well.

Don't see the Pats trying to employ any wildcat packages like the Jets did. He will be a 3rd string QB with I presume the idea of improving to be a 2nd string next year if they move Mallett on for some compensation.

It seems to be a 2 year contract (no guaranteed money)

TO. wrote: »
    Talk about a sweeping generalisation. But when you say hater what are you actually referring to? His QB skills or the man himself? I dont think he is a good QB right now but Religion has nothing to do with my opinion of Tebow and his QB skills. Anyone who tells you they just hate him are stupid at best in my eyes. Hating someone you have had no interaction with is just plain ridiculous.

You might want to define what part of Hater you are referring to because I know plenty of "haters" who are very religious people. That whole haters tag is nonsense also.
    I would never call you a hater though. You never came across like one to me anyways.

We disagreed a lot on how he could do in the NFL, you always went on about his mechanics, I have always felt that he has too much in the way of work ethic, determination and self-belief for him not to make it. I don't see anything wrong with what you said about him though.

You'll find that most of the haters are really anti-religious and the really really bad ones are a different religion and big into it.
    That's like saying that most of those that are Tebow 'lovers' are really religious, and the really big fans are Christians and big into it.

I would never call you a hater though. You never came across like one to me anyways.

We disagreed a lot on how he could do in the NFL, you always went on about his mechanics, I have always felt that he has too much in the way of work ethic, determination and self-belief for him not to make it. I don't see anything wrong with what you said about him though.

I think you missed my point. Since Tebowmania started anyone who said he was a bad QB was instantly tagged a Tebow Hater even if they had valid reasons for why they thought he was a bad QB. This is what I am talking about.

Sure you will always get people who just hate someone for the sake of hating someone. Which as I said is ridiculous. How anyone can have that level of personal hatred with someone they have had no interaction is beyond me.

But either way whether you thought Tebow was a bad QB or you just plain hated the guy you were tagged a Hater. This is exactly what I was asking you as I know plenty of religious folk who fit both descriptions as religion has no bearing on the issue and should have no bearing on the issue. Sure there will always be handful of muppets who use someones beliefs as a catalyst but those kind of folk do not make up the majority of the "Haters" as you said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Do you really believe he is the hardest-working QB ever? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gronkastic

Do you really believe he is the hardest-working QB ever? :confused:

In fairness, where in that post you highlighted, did EE actually mention 'the hardest working QB ever'? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

I am not a big Tebow fan but even I know this is Bullsh1t. I actually hate when people say stuff like this without actually pointing out his real flaws. Bad Mechanics does not mean he cant throw. His throwing motion is the biggest problem as its longer than it should be and his throwing motion is loose. Other than bad mechanics he struggles with reads at times. But all of these are fixable.
    Okay - I will rephrase - Tebow cannot throw the ball in a way he needs to in order to become an NFL QB. Yes he has bad mechanics - however he has had three years to work on his bad mechanics and has made zero improvement. Similarly with reading defences - he cannot read defences and in three years there has been no improvement in his ability to read defences.

Tebow is a seriously good athlete and by all accounts a very nice guy - however - he just does not have the ability or talent to be an NFL QB (and thats not a starting QB - its a QB of any type).
    I laugh every time I read this nonsense from non Pats fans who think Tebowmania will have any bearing on the Pats. Good to see you are also original when it comes to finding problems with Tebow going to the Pats.
    Despite what Pats fans have said on here - Tebowmania has nothing to do with him being a back-up behind Orton or Sanchez - Tebowmania has to do with Tebow's fans, mainly the ones with a religious bent who believe he is the second coming fo Christ. It is irrelevent whether he is the 3rd string QB or not - he is a magnet for the hype. All you have to do is look at the bounce in orders for Tebow jerseys.

BB might be very smart - signing Tebow to a contract with no guaranteed money - bump the Tebow jerseys to $100 - sell thousands and then cut Tebow without paying him a penny -every 10K sold would be a cool $1million - now that would be good business. Apparently 2million Tebow jerseys were sold in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

BB might be very smart - signing Tebow to a contract with no guaranteed money - bump the Tebow jerseys to $100 - sell thousands and then cut Tebow without paying him a penny -every 10K sold would be a cool $1million - now that would be good business. Apparently 2million Tebow jerseys were sold in 2011.

You think Bill Belichick - BILL BELICHICK - is signing Tebow to sell jerseys?!?!?

1358617103578.gif

Okay - I will rephrase - Tebow cannot throw the ball in a way he needs to in order to become an NFL QB. Yes he has bad mechanics - however he has had three years to work on his bad mechanics and has made zero improvement. Similarly with reading defences - he cannot read defences and in three years there has been no improvement in his ability to read defences.

It doesn't matter if you re-phrase you have hammered this subject to death at this point and your views on Tebow are quite clear. We all get it at this point so you probably would be best to leave it at this point especially in the Pats thread now he is a Pats player. Most of us hope the Pats might be able to do something with him if not no biggie. But you have written him off and constantly feel the need to tell us that so I guess your work here is done as no one really cares.
    Tebow is a seriously good athlete and by all accounts a very nice guy - however - he just does not have the ability or talent to be an NFL QB (and thats not a starting QB - its a QB of any type).

Where do I get that magic ball you have? I played the game and coach the game and talk to many football coaches on many levels and will be coaching in the US and I can tell you this stance most people take is the biggest load of sh1te I have ever read. Most coaches I know whether they like Tebow or not have mainly agreed he is now in a good place if he is ever going to be a NFL QB. Again to beat the drum he is fixable and he is now with a team that can fix him. If he fails with the Pats sure by all means then write him off but until then no one can hold this stance. It may be your opinion but it is not fact so don't confuse the two.

Despite what Pats fans have said on here - Tebowmania has nothing to do with him being a back-up behind Orton or Sanchez - Tebowmania has to do with Tebow's fans, mainly the ones with a religious bent who believe he is the second coming fo Christ. It is irrelevent whether he is the 3rd string QB or not - he is a magnet for the hype. All you have to do is look at the bounce in orders for Tebow jerseys.

You are missing the point that Pats fans have said to you so it is probably best as I said to stop posting in here on this subject because it is clear your own hatred and agenda is clouding your ability to comprehend what we told you.

But the marketing side doesn't concern Bill or the coaching staff or the players so I fail to see the relevance with this bit. You are now clearing reaching for angles to justify why Bill signed him. The truth is none of us will ever know whether he gets cut or lasts the distance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

In fairness, where in that post you highlighted, did EE actually mention 'the hardest working QB ever'? :confused:

Because there have been 1,000s of QB's who have had huge issues with being a QB and never made it. Now some where down to not working hard enough while others worked an incredible amount and still never made it. What sets Tebow apart? I can only assume it's his amazing work ethic. Hopefully EagleEye can clarify that. Tebow isn't the first QB to come into NFL with terrible mechancis, and inability to read defenses and all around poor skills to succeed as a QB. None of those QB's ever make it, wondering why Tebow will be the exception.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement