Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

^ ^ ^

68UYKK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭henryhenry

First concern is obviously that someone was killed. But i just can't get over the fact that Hernandez could be so dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

If there's no Gronk/Hernandez, coupled with the awful WR corps, there's a decent chance the Patriots won't make the play offs this year if Miami get it going. They're lucky the division is so poor this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

SantryRed wrote: »
    If there's no Gronk/Hernandez, coupled with the awful WR corps, there's a decent chance the Patriots won't make the play offs this year if Miami get it going. They're lucky the division is so poor this year.

ffs

Awful WRs!?! we have no idea how good or bad our WRs are.

Even if for arguments sake Hernandez doesn't play this season and Gronk doesn't play at latest till week 6, our TEs are still average to above average.

Also our run game is one of the best in the league.

Our Defense is improving.

Tom Brady

Bill Belichick

This crazy hysteria needs to calm down a bit. The Patriots are far from done. We are in much better shape than Miami, NY and Buffalo at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Hazys wrote: »
    ffs

Even if for arguments sake Hernandez doesn't play this season and Gronk doesn't play at latest till week 6, our TEs are still average to above average.

Tom Brady

Bill Belichick

This crazy hysteria needs to calm down a bit. The Patriots are far from done. We are in much better shape than Miami, NY and Buffalo at this point.

Agreed As EE pointed out the 3 tightends we have are actually decent enough. And we get to see Ballard in a Pats shirt and he has a good up side. Also the young lad Sudfeld is performing well and showing potential. We also have Danny Amendola also. It seems people forget about that. And as you said Hazy none of us know how good or bad the WR corp are we have. For all we know they might turn out to be class WR.

Probably wont be the same prolific Pats we are used to but I still think we will clean sweep the AFC East even without Hernandez and Gronk. The 2 games against the Fish being tight but wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Goose_Hyypia

So we are already planning for 2013 without Hernandez.

This really has been a worrying off season so far.

So we are already planning for 2013 without Hernandez.

This really has been a worrying off season so far.

Too early to jump to conclusions yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Goose_Hyypia

Too early to jump to conclusions yet.

I know but the facts so far in this story are very damning.

I'm waiting on an OJ Simpson style car chase through the streets of Dorchester this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

ffs

Is it not normal for WR'S to struggle there first year in a team? unless your a freak like a AJ Green ( As in top 10 picks) Also The volume of offense and New England with the different schemes they use depending on the match up will make it more difficult for them to make an immediate impact ?.

Personally it would be an over reaction to Gronknadez grouped problems. Ballard is quality also your in the AFC East.... I still can't see the dolphins challenging and there closest roster wise I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

also your in the AFC East

This gives me a lot of hope.

It's not just that Dolphins might not challenge (although before this I was hoping they would), it's that we get to play the other teams in the AFC East.

Be very happy to get Gronk back after the bye.

• Advertisement

ffs

Well they are no where near the level of last year and the names are nothing at all to shout home about. I doubt they'll hit the ground running.

But not the talent of Gronk and Hernandez.

Due to your quality TEs and your savage passing attack, giving more space for the HBs to run through and less players in the box? It'll be interesting to see how this works this year.

It will need to be good this year, as the offense won't be as strong.
    Tom Brady

Bill Belichick

Exactly, the three reasons why you will make the play offs. But this is definitely the worst state the Patriots have been in for the start of the season in a long long time.

Last preseason our Oline was supposedly a shambles after Matt Light retired and Waters didn't show up...Who's this Wendell kid? Solder struggled in training camp and preseason, we were screwed. Obviously, the Oline is not as talented as the year before.

What happened? the Oline was one of the best in the NFL.

Nobody knows how good or bad a team is till the ball is snapped in September.

Last preseason our Oline was supposedly a shambles after Matt Light retired and Waters didn't show up...Who's this Wendell kid? Solder struggled in training camp and preseason, we were screwed. Obviously, the Oline is not as talented as the year before.

What happened? the Oline was one of the best in the NFL.

Nobody knows how good or bad a team is till the ball is snapped in September.

Ok then, lets just not debate anything at all so? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I assume the Patriots have not made any official statement yet regarding Hernandez?

The pats will get to the playoffs but that's not good enough for the pats bradys getting on and he wants to win now.

It's sb or bust and with gronk and amendola as yere main targets ye would be ok but chances of both staying healthy are slim to none

Ye have the best te depth in the league but if Hernandez is gone I'd be shocked if ye didn't make a few signings/trades to get some receivers out there

kryogen wrote: »
    I assume the Patriots have not made any official statement yet regarding Hernandez?

Legally they're not in a postion to do so and until we can get some further clarification from the police. It will stay that way.

If there's no Gronk/Hernandez, coupled with the awful WR corps..

'Awful' is just a bit premature to use right now. Now I've been probably the most critical of our new WR corp this offseason. They have not impressed alright but training camp will seperate the men from the boys. Until then I will withhold my final judgement on our WR's.

The most frustrating thing for me has been our rookies on the sideline. Boyce and Dobson are tremendous young talents. But they might not be really ready until next year. Unfortunately we need them now.

On a postivie front, we have a potential rising young star in TE Zach Sudfield, he has caught the eye and stole the show this offseason. If Hernandez is gone and Zach stays healthy, it looks like we already have his repalcement.

Good to see Dobson has just signed off on his rookie contract and that's all the rookies sorted now.

Just getting back to some of the comments on Ballard. But 16 months after he tore ACL tear, he still looks limited and has a noticable limp at times. Now that is pretty worrying because he should be now moving without a limp and have full particpation. That said, it could also be a instinctive subconscious protective thing that Ballard is doing. Again, training camp will give us a true picture of where his recovery is at.

Ok then, lets just not debate anything at all so? :confused:

I get what you are saying and apologise if my response to you was harsh also. I think the word awful was probably the wrong choice of words. Yes our WR corp are in that category of the unknown especially now Hernandez could miss the season and the remainder of his NFL career. But as pointed out we really don't know how those WR will be fixed come the start of the season. But again I do see your point. Right now it can be considered extremely weak if we put it on paper.

Good to see Dobson has just signed off on his rookie contract and that's all the rookies sorted now.

Just getting back to some of the comments on Ballard. But 16 months after he tore ACL tear, he still looks limited and has a noticable limp at times. Now that is pretty worrying because he should be now moving without a limp and have full particpation. That said, it could also be a instinctive subconscious protective thing that Ballard is doing. Again, training camp will give us a true picture of where his recovery is at.

Either way training camp will make him step up or get cut. If he is just being protective he needs to shake it off quickly because this Hernandez situation has now put Ballard up the top of the pecking order in my eyes if he is fully fit an ready to go.

Something that hit me yesterday is the loss of Hernandez and what it means to the Pats. There is a lot of talk of a certain someone replacing Hernandez and the Pats needing to find a new TE to replace him. But the realism is now Hernandez has been playing in more of a slot position than a TE in recent games. Can a normal TE really cover him? He is by far one of the Quickest TE in the league and not as bulky as say Graham or Gronk. I think what we lose with Hernandez if we do lose him is pure Versatility. The Pats will now need to find another slot to compliment Amendola the way Hernandez complimented Welker.

• Advertisement

TO. wrote: »
    Something that hit me yesterday is the loss of Hernandez and what it means to the Pats. There is a lot of talk of a certain someone replacing Hernandez and the Pats needing to find a new TE to replace him. But the realism is now Hernandez has been playing in more of a slot position than a TE in recent games. Can a normal TE really cover him?

One of the reasons I'm pretty excited about Zach Sudfield is not only how he has performed so far. But a lot of comparisions were also drawn between him and Hernandez. He ran a lot of simlar routes so far and he has looked very athletic. And again like Hernandez, the only question mark still hanging over him is how can he block? I reckon he'll be a better blocker than Hernandez, but that's just a guess by me. Stats wise he comes in at 6ft 7in and 255Lbs, so that height mixed with his athleticism could become invaluable for us in 2013.

One of the reasons I'm pretty excited about Zach Sudfield is not only how he has performed so far. But a lot of comparisions were also drawn between him and Hernandez. He ran a lot of simlar routes so far and he has looked very athletic. And again like Hernandez, the only question mark still hanging over him is how can he block? I reckon he'll be a better blocker than Hernandez, but that's just a guess by me. Stats wise he comes in at 6ft 7in and 255Lbs, so that height mixed with his athleticism could become invaluable for us in 2013.

I agree but one thing about Hernandez his agility adds to his speed. Sudfeld has similar numbers to Hernandez in their combine/pro day but the standout for Hernandez that made him a favourite with a lot of scouts was all the agility drills. Good minute quicker than most tight ends on the 20 yard shuttle and cone drills.

I think if Sudfeld can step up he makes for a very exciting prospect. But I do think the Pats will have to fill the void left by Hernandez when he plays in slot.

Sources say an arrest warrant has been issued for:
    obstruction of justice

tumblr_mg86jgOQnH1qhwbato3_400.gif

____

Not sure if this is good or bad???

Masked Man wrote: »
    Sources say an arrest warrant has been issued for:
    obstruction of justice

____

Not sure if this is good or bad???

Obstruction of Justice? Is that it? No prior offenses and being mega rich it will be a slap on the wrist if true or a suspended sentence and probation.

As for the other knob head that case wont go very far. I said it yesterday and I will say it again there is more holes in your mans case than there is in his face.

Just look at this from the article:
    He insisted to the man who found him and a police officer who arrived shortly thereafter that he did not know who shot him.

He was not cooperative with police and refused to answer questions, saying it hurt to speak.

Dude is a clear opportunist trying to cash in on the back of a murder investigation.

More charges can be added later on so he can still be charged with something more serious.

Even if it stays at obstruction I'd say he could still get jail. At least I think all the **** he apparently did deserves it anyway.

edit: I'm kind of worried that Hernandez might know a convicted coke dealer.

Masked Man wrote: »
    More charges can be added later on so he can still be charged with something more serious.

Probably but usually the first charge that comes out usually indicates all they have to go on him and means they will have to fish for the rest. As he destroyed his phone and security system and apparently wont answer them it was easy for them to hit him with obstruction.Sometimes Obstruction leads on to other charges but more often than not it doesn't.
    Even if it stays at obstruction I'd say he could still get jail. At least I think all the **** he apparently did deserves it anyway.

It will be a minimal sentence of probation to 20 years. If its his first time he may see something like 30 days in prison and year suspended sentence or something like that.

He is a fooking clown and I hope to fook he at least wasn't the one who pulled the trigger. His rep in my eyes has gone down for just being involved in the first place. But you know as they say innocent until proven guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

He is a fooking clown and I hope to fook he at least wasn't the one who pulled the trigger. His rep in my eyes has gone down for just being involved in the first place. But you know as they say innocent until proven guilty.

I completely agree, total clown whatever his involvement. He was one of my favourite players before, but he has definitely gone down in my estimation over the last couple of days.

At the same time, this is a complete trial by media. I don't know what reports to believe, as his attorney has said that several of them are false. It could well be that this was a gang killing, where he fears for his life if he talks; or he and his friends could be complete scumbags.

It sounds like he deserves some jail time for obstruction of justice, but if he's not charged with anything else I'd have to assume he wasn't directly involved with the murder, innocent until proven guilty is a cornerstone of the legal system for a good reason.

Anyway, I feel like a complete twat for following this so closely just because it could have a significant effect on a sports team I follow. A man died, and that's the most important thing to remember.

Even if he only does 30 days do you think Goodell will get involved

Even if he only does 30 days do you think Goodell will get involved

Probably a 5 or 6 game ban. Who knows with old Rog.

• Advertisement

Fecking spent the last three hours sorting out a meltdown on my PC :mad:. Thank god I'm off today. Anyway....
    I think if Sudfeld can step up he makes for a very exciting prospect. But I do think the Pats will have to fill the void left by Hernandez when he plays in slot.

I agree and that's why I was really píssed off when young Moe tore his Achilles. He could have coverd the role you mentioned quite nicely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement