Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Must be decalred before I comment that Im a Jet fan :D

I listened to the Welker interview on DP and it was incredibly awkward regarding Hernandez.Rich Eisen and DP then revealed that he had been threatened as a team mate .

That may seem not a big deal,then when you read the NESN report of gang affliations it may change how serious Welker felt that threat was

Who knows if he did anything regarding this murder but Pats fan surely can see that breaking your phone,damaged cctv and a professional cleaning company doesnt exactly paint him in a good light :D

Honestly I cant see how posters are attacking Pats fans here,as if their support of the team is an indication of their feeling on the Hernandez case

Cases like this always illustrate to me that these players and NBA players(majority) of them come from incredibly tough backgrounds,really deprived areas,and have friends who are gang members etc and sometimes it can be really hard to leave all that behind.

I remember listening to a terrific Marcus Wiley interview with Lebatard about this.

A recent interview with Steven Jackson was also a real eye opener.

Who knows whether he did kill him or took any part but the law will take its course and can we get back to football talk.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

raven136 wrote: »

I listened to the Welker interview on DP and it was incredibly awkward regarding Hernandez.Rich Eisen and DP then revealed that he had been threatened as a team mate .

That may seem not a big deal,then when you read the NESN report of gang affliations it may change how serious Welker felt that threat was

Who knows if he did anything regarding this murder but Pats fan surely can see that breaking your phone,damaged cctv and a professional cleaning company doesnt exactly paint him in a good light :D

Honestly I cant see how posters are attacking Pats fans here,as if their support of the team is an indication of their feeling on the Hernandez case

Cases like this always illustrate to me that these players and NBA players(majority) of them come from incredibly tough backgrounds,really deprived areas,and have friends who are gang members etc and sometimes it can be really hard to leave all that behind.

I remember listening to a terrific Marcus Wiley interview with Lebatard about this.

A recent interview with Steven Jackson was also a real eye opener.

Who knows whether he did kill him or took any part but the law will take its course and can we get back to football talk.

I think pretty much every Pats fan has said the whole thing looks suspicious and that Hernandez is not in a good position right now, and that if found guilty, he should not be on next years roster. Again, its all subject to the case running its course as you say, and for his sake (and the teams) I hope he nothing to do with it in any shape or form. It unfortunately does not look like that right now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Lord forgive him, for he know not what he.................only messing. Dude, you're more than welcome in here. We appreciate non-Pats opinions and all logical & reasoned points of views in here. The one recent tool aside, we have no problems with you guys dropping in.biggrin.png

We all can see that and it made things go from bad to worse imo. But like this whole case, we need to get the truth. Did Hernandez break it? Or a scumbag buddy do it? We don't know, but it's natural for us all to jump to conclusions.

Thanks, nice to see some cop on. Other posters have been grand, afaik there was only one who was doing that.

The gang issue is one that really concerns me, I was talking about that yesterday morning...
    It could very well be gang related and that could be the one saving grace for Hernandez. If some of his friends are tied into gang membership, then it wouldn't be very easy for Hernandez to get rid of them out of his life. Some of the latino gangs active in the Boston area are MS-13, The Latin Kings and Nesta. All are extremly violent and very, very dangerous organisations.

If some of his friends are involved, then they probably wouldn't have been too happy if Aaron had of dropped them last year when he got his big contract. So while many will say he's hanging with a bad crowd, why doesn't he get rid of them? Well if they have Latino gang affillations, then that's much easier said than done.

I'm not making excuses for Aaron, but it is a logical possibility. Then again, Aaraon himself could be a willing member of such a gang. In which case he deserves no sympathy.

The gang issue really complicates things and it would explain alot. Childhood friends & gang affiliations are very hard to shake. But again only time will tell.

Right now I think we all feel really let down and betrayed by Hernandez. If it's a case of where nothing is really cleared up and he's still available to play, because the cops can't pin him down? Then I don't want him playing on our team ever agin. Especially if there is a big question mark hanging over him.

His days as a Patriot could already be numbered anyway. He went to the stadium for a workout last Wednesday and he was told to get out and stay away. Obviously the team can't comment for legal reasons, but it's been very quiet. We want the truth and we want justice and if that means losing a great player then so be it. A poor guy was gunned down like a dog and someone needs to pay for that crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Was offline for the last couple of days so decided to log in and see what I've missed....
    I've had PMs and lots of posts reported and want to thank everyone for clicking on the report button and mailing me. However looking at the discussions from the last 24 hours it's pretty clear that my earlier mod instruction is not being heralded and that action will need to be taken.
    I've mailed the other mods to start a discussion about it and in the mean time I have chosen to lock this thread.
    I'm sorry Pats fans and hopefully it wont last too long but I think that given how the discussion has developed in the last few pages it's for the best to let everyone cool the heads and take stock of things.
    I'll reopen the thread once the necessary action has been taken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Thread reopened. I have deleted multiple posts, and requested the other mods to review the thread. Lets get the conversation back to football

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Lads, how long do you think Brady will go for?

And will be go himself or would he need to be pushed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

He could go until he is 40 the way Brett Favre did. I can't remember what it was I watching last year and they were talking about Favre and the age of Quarterbacks and they were comparing Older generation QBs with newer generations QBs and they said if you compared Brady's body to Favre, Brady's would be in better condition. They also said Rodgers and guys newer again could go over 40 also due to the changing style on how athletes are conditioned even QBs. Hits on QBs have changed over the last decade and its not abnormal for a guy in his mid to late 30s to be still in prime condition with minimal hits on the body especially as QBs.

Taking all that in and Brady's drive and determination to get more rings who knows how long he will last. There is only one thing right now that would finish him off and I dont want to hex him so I wont say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

TO. wrote: »
    He could go until he is 40 the way Brett Favre did. I can't remember what it was I watching last year and they were talking about Favre and the age of Quarterbacks and they were comparing Older generation QBs with newer generations QBs and they said if you compared Brady's body to Favre, Brady's would be in better condition. They also said Rodgers and guys newer again could go over 40 also due to the changing style on how athletes are conditioned even QBs. Hits on QBs have changed over the last decade and its not abnormal for a guy in his mid to late 30s to be still in prime condition with minimal hits on the body especially as QBs.

Taking all that in and Brady's drive and determination to get more rings who knows how long he will last. There is only one thing right now that would finish him off and I dont want to hex him so I wont say it.

Talking about different styles, TB doesn't run outside the pocket to gain yards as much as other, newer, QB's (thinking of Kaepernick) and last season if i saw him running when there were no passing options you'd nearly gasp as he slides awkwardly.

Curious now, is it sports related or his personal life related?

BKWDR wrote: »
    Talking about different styles, TB doesn't run outside the pocket to gain yards as much as other, newer, QB's (thinking of Kaepernick) and last season if i saw him running when there were no passing options you'd nearly gasp as he slides awkwardly.

What TB not scrambling? Just the style of QB he is. Brady is not quick on his feet and was never very athletic in high school and college like many pure pocket passers. Modern QBs are getting bigger and faster even the so called pocket passers.

3 types of QB Pocket Passer, Hybrid and Scrambler. Seeing a lot less pure scramblers these days like Vick and more Hybrid guys. The hybrid guys would have decent pocket skills but have that ability to move when needs be whether designed play or not. There are a few scramble first QBs out there who will always hold that mentality of scrambling but better coaching of these hybrid guys is now using them wisely.

There are few pure pocket passers though that also have great mobility. Aaron Rodgers being one of them. He is by design and experience a pocket passer. But he is quick and nimble on his feet that if space opens he will take it. But Rodgers will only use it if he knows the room is there unlike a hybrid guy who will hit the space and hope his speed keeps it open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

There is only one thing right now that would finish him off and I dont want to hex him so I wont say it.

Ah no that's what i was asking that about!

Over all it will be interesting to see how the Tebow situation settles at training camp. It could well and truly keep the drive in Brady alive.

• Advertisement

Ah no that's what i was asking that about!

Sports related the big bad word beginning with I.
    Over all it will be interesting to see how the Tebow situation settles at training camp. It could well and truly keep the drive in Brady alive.

To be honest Brady has never needed the kick up the arse or drive from competition behind him. He has always been one of the best self motivating players in the NFL. Knowing that he can still step out on the field every weekend seems to be drive enough for him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah with the likes of Rodgers and brady i can see them going to 40+, as you say TO there is one thing that will change that.

My view is that scrambling QBs will have a short shelf life for the most part, they will just get hammered too often and will be injured a lot of the time.

Will be interesting to see over the next 2/3 years what way defenses adapt to more of QB scrambles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Yeah with the likes of Rodgers and brady i can see them going to 40+, as you say TO there is one thing that will change that.

My view is that scrambling QBs will have a short shelf life for the most part, they will just get hammered too often and will be injured a lot of the time.

Will be interesting to see over the next 2/3 years what way defenses adapt to more of QB scrambles.

Regarding longevity, I wouldn't mention Brady and Rodgers in the same breath at all. It'd be a minor miracle if Rodgers lasts until after his mid 30s with the hits he takes and his concussion history.

The dreaded question in all our minds. If there's one QB in the league right now that could break records agewise it's Brady. He just looks after himself so well even in the offseason. I think how he works on his mechanics give a great insight into his overall mindset.

Brady is universally regarded as having the perfect throwing mechanics for a QB. Yet every year the guy is just relentless in his desire to improve upon perfection. Just listening to him talking about trying to get an extra 1%-2% improvment in efficiency. Really just shows how hungry and driven he really is. So once he keeps his famous drive and focus and can stay healthy, then 40+ should be easliy attainable for him.

I think he is such a perfectionist that when things do taper off. He has too much pride in himself to start performing at a level he's not happy with. You never know of course, but that's what my gut tells.

Ya I agree with you on scrabbling QB's. If I was a GM, give me a classic pocket QB anyday over a high risk galloper.

Regarding longevity, I wouldn't mention Brady and Rodgers in the same breath at all. It'd be a minor miracle if Rodgers lasts until after his mid 30s with the hits he takes and his concussion history.

Agreed the Packers will need to fix that Oline for Rodgers to have any sort of longevity. Its nuts what he can do though even with that amount of pressure.

On a side note this pic on the Pats facebook is cool

1000689_10151682993667372_1610088997_n.jpg

To be honest Brady has never needed the kick up the arse or drive from competition behind him. He has always been one of the best self motivating players in the NFL. Knowing that he can still step out on the field every weekend seems to be drive enough for him.

That is so true. I can't remember who it was, but one of the veteran players we picked up in the off season spoke about this. He said he's never seen a QB as fired and as competitive up on the field and that was only the OTA's.

Fecking love that pic TO - of our man mountain, with the movement of a Gazelle and hands like Randy Moss. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The knee is the obvious weak point for Brady, another serious injury and the whole wagon of speculation of 'is this the end?' will engulf the Patriots.

I'd be interested to see if even the Hoodie would show more than clinical logic if he was dealing with a crocked Brady again - other players would be transitioned out at that point but does the Brady-Hoodie connection go deeper than the usual 'Patriot Way' stuff? We still have yet to see an heir apparent emerge so that would have to happen before BB had something to chew on in that situation.

Syferus wrote: »
    The knee is the obvious weak point for Brady, another serious injury and the whole wagon of speculation of 'is this the end?' will engulf the Patriots.

No doubt about it and the pressure will mount on Bill and Co and whatever back up QB is there.
    I'd be interested to see if even the Hoodie would show more than clinical logic if he was dealing with a crocked Brady again - other players would be transitioned out at that point but does the Brady-Hoodie connection go deeper than the usual 'Patriot Way' stuff? We still have yet to see an heir apparent emerge so that would have to happen before BB had something to chew on in that situation.

Do us Pats fans a favour and at least show some respect to Bill Belichick on the Pats thread and call him by his name rather than the hoodie.

That a side if Brady goes down for a season again it will depend on what the extent of the injury is for the Pats and Bill to even consider losing faith in Brady and moving on. Bill is a smart coach and like any coach will asses the full situation and go from there. I dont think he is stupid enough to try put much faith in Brady if the injury ends up being so severe it would be a waste trying to get Brady back on the field and not move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Do us Pats fans a favour and at least show some respect to Bill Belichick on the Pats thread and call him by his name rather than the hoodie.

To be fair TO, you've repeatedly used the phrase 'more holes in his story than holes in his face' with regards a gunshot victim on this thread, so hoodie isn't exactly the most disgraceful thing he could be labelled.

With regards Brady - he's helped by having a real strong offensive line in front of him and as long as they keep performing and as long as Brady doesn't suffer any cheap shots, he should be there for a number of years yet. His skill range is that good that he doesn't need to be fantastically athletic. And even if he did pick up another knee injury, I would bet on him to bounce back from it even at his age.

• Advertisement

To be fair TO, you've repeatedly used the phrase 'more holes in his story than holes in his face' with regards a gunshot victim on this thread, so hoodie isn't exactly the most disgraceful thing he could be labelled.

Thank you for pointing that out to me. I stand by my disrespect for some guy who is a known criminal and is clearly looking for money by suing someone famous when his story makes no sense and he reports it 3 months later. He didn't deserve to get shot in the face but he wont get any respect from me with his frivolous lawsuit and criminal background.

As for Bill Belichick he is the respected head coach of the Patriots and I don't know about other Pats fans but I find it disrespectful when someone uses labels when mentioning him in a team specific thread rather than showing some respect. It doesn't help when it comes from someone who clearly doesn't like the Patriots and has shown that on more than one occasion.

Oh and the two examples are nowhere near the same as each other. But again thank you for pointing out the error of my ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

To be honest, I only use Hoodie because Belicheck (see?) is a b***ard to remember how to spell properly.

Syferus wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see if even the Hoodie ...

Syferus, you probably meant nothing by that, but I can see how TO and other Pats fans could be offended that phrase. Generally when I post in other team threads, I do my best to respect their players and coachs.ferus

Edit: Just saw the post by Syferus - If it's any consolation, I continually forget how to spell Belichick and I'm a fecking fan.:(:o

TO found the use of a certain term offensive, regarding the HC of this team thread we are actually posting in. Fair play to Syferus, he came back and explained why he used that term. And I know where he's coming from.

But there's no comparsion, between that and the expression TO used. TO's comments describe an opportunist, who suddenely remembered who 'shot' him. Despite telling police when it happened, that he hadn't a clue who did it.

He also has no affiliation to any team here, so what TO said cannot be intrepreted as offensive toward any team in particular. At the individual? Then yes maybe, but offensive to any team/thread? Absolutely not.

TO found the use of a certain term offensive, regarding the HC of this team thread we are actually posting in. Fair play to Syferus, he came back and explained why he used that term. And I know where he's coming from.

But there's no comparsion, between that and the expression TO used. TO's comments describe an opportunist, who suddenely remembered who 'shot' him. Despite telling police when it happened, that he hadn't a clue who did it.

He also has no affiliation to any team here, so what TO said cannot be intrepreted as offensive toward any team in particular. At the individual? Then yes maybe, but offensive to any team/thread? Absolutely not.

First off, I wasn't having a go before it's construed that I was. I was merely saying that having a go at someone for calling Belichick 'hoodie' isn't exactly a really offensive name (it's a joke - just like Liverpool/City fans call Fergie 'red nose') in comparison to saying what was said about the victim of the gun attack regardless of his history. It's nothing to do really with a team or having a go at the Pats - but about the reality of the situation.

Anyways, forget it.

First off, I wasn't having a go before it's construed that I was. I was merely saying that having a go at someone for calling Belichick 'hoodie' isn't exactly a really offensive name (it's a joke - just like Liverpool/City fans call Fergie 'red nose') in comparison to saying what was said about the victim of the gun attack regardless of his history. It's nothing to do really with a team or having a go at the Pats - but about the reality of the situation.

Anyways, forget it.

You clearly missed my point and many wont agree but hey I could care less.

Let me put it this way. 99% of people in here have no association or affiliation to the lad who got shot in the face. I bet you a lot of that 99% could care less about him either. So in this Patriots specific thread he is actually irrelevant to this thread, respect or no respect it makes no difference either way.

Bill Belichick is the head coach of the team us Pats fans support and this is the thread of said team. In a team specific thread a little respect should be shown for the members of the team because the fans of said team use this thread to talk about their team.

You may not see hoodie as disrespectful but I do. Banter or no banter walk up to the mans face and call him hoodie and see where that gets you. Also on the red nose thing I have seen guys in the soccer forum make the same complaints I just made about players and managers so not really relevant bringing it up as everyone is different when it comes to team related threads. And everyone is different when it comes to jokes. Simple as.

As for remembering how to spell it simple solution, start typing the name into google and google pretty much does the rest for you. Takes a whole 10 seconds. I know as I too forget how to spell it all the time.

Anyways maybe Im being to anal on this and my frustrations with this thread have come to head but this team thread was going so well for a long time until recent weeks. Bash the Pats or its fans anywhere you want but the Pats thread, Leave each team and its fans have somewhere were they can talk about team related stuff without having to defend themselves or the team all the time. Plenty of other threads for those debates.

You may not see hoodie as disrespectful but I do. Banter or no banter walk up to the mans face and call him hoodie and see where that gets you...

Bash the Pats or its fans anywhere you want but the Pats thread, Leave each team and its fans have somewhere were they can talk about team related stuff without having to defend themselves or the team all the time. Plenty of other threads for those debates.

If someone supplies me with a plane ticket to Boston, no problem! I'm sure he's been called much worse along the sideline. To be fair I've defended Pats fans in the past when it came to people trolling in here. No need to be so protective about the thread. And whether the guy shot irrelevant in this thread or not is debatable.

Cue you saying you're not being protective, that we're all trolls, everyone is having a go at the Pats etc.

Don't want to make an issue of this and I'm certainly not having a go (if ye find it disrespectfull i will not use it on this thread thats not an issue) and I understand its off topic this will be my only post on it

just curious as to why you find the phrase hoodie disrespectful I would reguard it as just a nickname the same as bb or bill as opposed to William. There are many disrespectful names iv herd him called I just don't think he would give a damn if he was called that

(Again not trying to troll or derail the thread just curious

If someone supplies me with a plane ticket to Boston, no problem! I'm sure he's been called much worse along the sideline. To be fair I've defended Pats fans in the past when it came to people trolling in here. No need to be so protective about the thread. And whether the guy shot irrelevant in this thread or not is debatable.

Cue you saying you're not being protective, that we're all trolls, everyone is having a go at the Pats etc.

I gave you a reply and now you don't like my responses to you and you take a shot at me with a silly assumption. I never said you were trolling. I never said you were being disrespectful either. But yet you have a go. Fair enough.

What I don't get is why bothers you so much and why do you feel the need to throw in the jab at the bottom of your post in bold? You seem to be making this a tad more personal than it was in the beginning. Whether I am protective of the thread or not is frankly none of your business or your place to say unless you became a mod recently.
    And whether the guy shot irrelevant in this thread or not is debatable.

And still not getting it in reference to this.

Look you make all the silly assumptions you want and take offense to something I never accused of. You have made more of a deal of this than needed to be and all because you didn't like what I had to say.

• Advertisement

If bradys gona play till 40 when do ye feel ye will trade Ryan mallet and how much do ye expect to get for him very talented player I rate him highly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement