Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Correct call made, had to cut him.

What a fool, such a talent wasted. He could have gone on to be one of the best TE ever. So pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

madalig12 wrote: »
    Money on the dolphins to win their division quick.

I like your optimism, but this won't derail the Pats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The Pats certainly acted swiftly. Huge hit to take as a team, losing all money to dead cap space and losing one half of your franchise TEs, with the other half of that tandem continually injured.

Interesting times ahead for the Patriots offense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'm actually shocked Hernandez has been released by Pats.

With a presumption of Innocent until proven guilty, I would have thought they felt duty bound to stand by their player until the facts came to light.

That was never going to happen, the League and the Pats have been holding their breath for the last week to see what action the police were going to take. There is a lot going on behind the scence we don't know about. But the franchise are clearly shocked and horrfied by what has happened regarding Hernandez. Anyone that knows Robert Kraft, knows the high standards he holds the franchise to. Hernandez has not cooperated with police and he has destoyed CCTV and phone evidence. I think once this news emerged a few days ago, Hernadez was finished for the franchise and all us fans. We lose a great offensive player, we lose part of our future, we lose millions in wasted money. This move causes us a lot of pain. But you know what? You can't put a price on honour and principles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

That was never going to happen, the League and the Pats have been holding their breath for the last week to see what action the police were going to take. There is a lot going on behind the scence we don't know about. But the franchise are clearly shocked and horrfied by what has happened regarding Hernandez. Anyone that knows Robert Kraft, knows the high standards he holds the franchise to. Hernandez has not cooperated with police and he has destoyed CCTV and phone evidence. I think once this news emerged a few days ago, Hernadez was finished for the franchise and all us fans. We lose a great offensive player, we lose part of our future, we lose millions in wasted money. This move causes us a lot of pain. But you know what? You can't put a price on honour and principles.

Plus

Ross Tucker ‏@RossTuckerNFL 2h
    NFL teams have security departments that are VERY connected to local authorities so Pats likely know more than we do.

They knew what the deal was and what he is getting charged with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The Pats are likely to know about what is going on behind the scenes
    Hernandez would appear to have some involvement in this murder, even just if it's obstruction of justice.
    The Pats have made the right move, even if he is found innocent, which is unlikely, as this is a case that will going on for a while and the Pats have now distanced themselves from that.

It's a shame that such a talented player has thrown it all away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭resdubwhite

Not suprpised by move. Am surprised that by releasing him when they did they leave themselves in a situation where the bonus cannot be recovered but would have had to wait until he was convicted is my understanding.

Having said that its a strong message from the Krafts. THey most definately don't operate like some other NFL teams.

charged with murder.

detailed book of evidence.

prosecutor asking that he be remanded.

Going out on a limb here.

He's ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Widespread now, charged with murder. Kraft and co got ahead of the curve id imagine thats why they released.

Awful shame and waste of talent but good that dead is getting justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

TaosHum wrote: »
    I like your optimism, but this won't derail the Pats.

Won't derail them at all? Are you serious? How do they hope to win a ring this year with the loss of Welker, Hernandez, and a questionable Gronk? This is Brady's worst Offense since 2006. A mediocre season by his recent standards. And the D is not as good as it was then IMO.

They will likely make the playoffs due to a weak division, but this is a huge blow for the Pats. Could be the beginning of the end of their dominance.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    This is Brady's worst Offense since 2006.

Right now Davy we have no offense.
    And the D is not as good as it was then IMO.

Watch this space though because ironically, the defense could be our one positive for 2013.
    but this is a huge blow for the Pats. Could be the beginning of the end of their dominance.

Brady will find a way, he has in the past and will again. I'll question our dominance when Brady retires. But as long as he's on the field, then no team can relax. But for this season it is worrying, because he has no one to throw to right now. We'll know for sure once camp arrives.

If there wasn't opportunities for Tebow to moonlight before there sure as hell is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Fun fact:

Last person to tackle Hernandez was
    Bernard Pollard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Masked Man wrote: »
    Fun fact:

Last person to tackle Hernandez was
    Bernard Pollard

That made laugh out loud here at my desk. Coworkers must be worried!

I don't know if I missed this a few pages back but what's Edelman's status? Recent developments mean there should be a larger role there for him if he can stay healthy.

Tristram wrote: »
    I don't know if I missed this a few pages back but what's Edelman's status? Recent developments mean there should be a larger role there for him if he can stay healthy.

Well it being Edelman and knowing his fondness for injuries. He reinjured his right foot (remember he broke it back in December) and was back in a protective walking boot in early May. So he's done nothing during OTA's, minicamp or this offseason. And that really sums him up in a nutshell - fragile and fond of the sick note. Which is a pity because his talent is beyond question.

If the guy could just stay healthy, he could be an important part of our offense. The chemistry between him and Brady was getting stronger last season and he was really hitting his stride. Then the injuries started :(. I think he is expected to make training camp. But if he and the team ever needed a season for him to stay healthy, it's this season.

Sick note? It's a minor miracle players survive a season in one piece. Players of Edelman and Amendola's size are always going to be even more susceptible to injury in a sport like this.

As much as any talent, it was Welker's durability that was remarkable. The Patriots will be crying out for him if the nightmare scenario occurs and Gronk, Amendola and Edelman are on the blocks for extended parts of the season on top of Hernandez being gone.

Rustle a Randy? It certainly wouldn't be the first time the Patriots returned to the well and I'm sure they could tempt him with near-veterans' minimum given the prospect of going back to NE and having one more shot at a ring.

Syferus wrote: »
    Sick note?

As a non-Pats fan you're obviously missed my earlier point. Sorry it wasn't a point, it's actually fact. Edelman has serious durability issue. Aside from the Giants calling him in for a workout during FA. He wasn't touched by another team during FA and do you know why that was?
    It's a minor miracle players survive a season in one piece.

Who was talking about players here? I was talking about Edelman and no one else.
    Players of Edelman and Amendola's size are always going to be even more susceptible to injury in a sport like this.

Size certainly does not predispose you to injury. And let's just say the human body, injury, trauma and illness is my meat and potatoes. So I can speak from 17 years of experience on this subject.
    As much as any talent, it was Welker's durability that was remarkable.

Welker has something Edelman hasn't and that's durability. And that's the only reason I will miss Welker, you could always depend on him being out there when needed.

Rustle a Randy

Pigs will fly before that would ever happen. And if we're bringing back vets? Branch will be first in line.

Well it being Edelman and knowing his fondness for injuries. He reinjured his right foot (remember he broke it back in December) and was back in a protective walking boot in early May.

That's a huge pity. You're right about him and Brady striking up some good chemistry for a run last season. Welker's durability has been phenomenal alright.

Team will be fine.

I don't think its the hardest opening to the season for the team. So that will hopefully help the O gel.

Genuinely think once 4 or 5 games come in they'll be raring to go. People rightly go on about the new receiver corps, but it will get better.
    What people forget about is the excellent running game the team has and one of the best O-lines IMHO in the league.

Fear not people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Yeah, I don't see Brady having another 4500 yard, 30+ TD season this year, but I think the O will do plenty to win games.

It'll be a good year to pick up Ridley in FF...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 PatrickOB

In my opinion, they will need to give Ridley considerably more carries this year to take the pressure of Brady throwing to inexperienced receivers.

As a Patriots fan it's always been pass first for us, but this year I expect the run game to be just as important, our defense will also have to step up it's game if we are going to get any further than a conference round!

Won't derail them at all? Are you serious? How do they hope to win a ring this year with the loss of Welker, Hernandez, and a questionable Gronk? This is Brady's worst Offense since 2006. A mediocre season by his recent standards. And the D is not as good as it was then IMO.

They will likely make the playoffs due to a weak division, but this is a huge blow for the Pats. Could be the beginning of the end of their dominance.

My answer was in reference to the Fins winning the AFC East. Even with there struggles on offense, I still think they will win 11/12 games this year and take the East. In regard's to their Superbowl chances, I didn't think the Pats would win it without Gronk and Welker. Losing Hernandez just compounds it for me.

But I've seen Patriot teams in the past still have success with very mediocre options out wide. I remember back in 2006 when the Pats beat a very good Charger side in San Diego for a place in the AFC title game. Their main receivers that day? An ageing Tim Brown, Reche Caldwell, Jabbar Gaffney, Ben Watson. Write off Brady and Belichick at your peril.

I do expect Miami to push them and if things go their way they could very well win it (here's hoping), but I'd be very much surprised. Spending lots of money doesn't mean success in the NFL. Alot will depend on Tannehill's development, how the O-Line will hold up, will Lamar Miller produce and how will all the new signing's integrate into the side?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Hazys wrote: »
    Amen, fook him, he's not a Patriot player anymore and we don't have anything to do with him.

Probably should now move this discussion out of the Patriots thread also.

Hernandez may no longer be a Patriot, but he was a Patriot when the alleged offence took place, so the discussion probably does still belong here. You may remember when former Raiders QB Jamarcus Russell was arrested for possession of codeine syrup in 2010 and this was deemed suitable for discussion in the Raiders thread , even though he wasn't a Raider when the alleged offence took place. There have also been numerous other players arrested down through the years that have been discussed on their team/former team thread.

It's exciting at least to think of what the "new" Patriots offense might look like. Maybe Ballard blows us all away or Amendola becomes the Man of Steel for a season. A 2000 yard season from Ridley? Who knows! And that's the fun! :)

It's exciting at least to think of what the "new" Patriots offense might look like.

I don' think we factored on the Hernandez situation, but we are having a complete offensive refit this offseason and it is exciting time alright. If Dobson and Boyce can get on the field and build a rapport with Brady then I will be really excited. These are two very talented young guys and the type of players we have lacked for awhile.

If we can add a couple of standout WR's to their group, then we will enter the season with a bunch of new guys. Our new offensive group will make us very unpredictable to defend against. So in the long term all this turmoil right now could bring a lot of positives.

Then look at established players, we could have Gronk peaking in the latter half of the season that would be nice for a change. If Edelman stays healthy, his versatility is invaluable. If Vereen stays at the level he was at when he and Brady destroyed the Texans. I could go on but you lads know what I'm getting at.
    Maybe Ballard blows us all away or Amendola becomes the Man of Steel for a season. A 2000 yard season from Ridley? Who knows! And that's the fun! :)

Excited to see what Ballard will bring for us alright. Just worried about the noticable limp he was still carrying at times, during OTA's and minicamp. I love Ridley, landing him and Vereen was a stroke of genuis by Bill. I think he will build on last season and he even becomes more critical for us right now.

I think Bolden and Blount will battle each other for a back up/ change of pace role behind Ridley. Bolden looked very good last season until the PED issue popped up. But he did complimetn Ridley's horse work beautifully. Blount could be a short yardage battering ram, the only negative is far is, he has fumbled a lot of balls when Brady has passed to him. But we'll see what camp brings.

Out of curiosity, do you fella's expect Shane Vereen to get some time working out of the slot the season?

He certainly has the hands and the talent to be effective there IMO.

PatrickOB wrote: »
    In my opinion, they will need to give Ridley considerably more carries this year to take the pressure of Brady throwing to inexperienced receivers.

As a Patriots fan it's always been pass first for us, but this year I expect the run game to be just as important, our defense will also have to step up it's game if we are going to get any further than a conference round!

Last season I think we developed a very good, solid run game and I think we are going to build on that again in 2013. We also can't always but putting everything on Brady's shoulders, especiallly with the guy having a bunch of newbs catching the ball.

We could potentially have a big step from our defense this season. There is a lot of healthy competition going on there right now and that can only be good for us. The secondary will also be starting the season with some nice continuity amongst players for a change and that will really benefit the team.

Ras I Dowling has been the star of the show so far in the secondary. Now if he can stay healthy and get on the field, then that will be a great. His lenght, strength and athleticism will just torment big WR's. His talent is beyond question, he just needs to bring some durability.

I think our front seven will surprise teams this year. You should have guys like Chandler Jones and Hightower building on last season And then add our new guy Armstead to the mix. Remember Jake Bequette lads? Well apparently he has caught the eyes quite a few times during the mini camp. He had a virtual red shirt season last year so it would be nice to have him as an option.

I love Ninkovich, he had an exellent season in 2012, is going from strenght to strenght evey year and really is an unsung hero for us. I think he will be even better in 2013. So no doubt about it, the front seven are going to have a real competitive camp and that is only a good thing.

Oh btw PatrickOB, I haven't noticed you around here before. So you are very welcome to the Pats fan thread and the wider forum. :)

Out of curiosity, do you fella's expect Shane Vereen to get some time working out of the slot the season?

Yes I do. Vereen finally showed what he can do against the Texans and I was so píssed we gave him no chances really against the Ravens in the AFC title game. Again if he stays healthy, this kid could really become a superstar for us in 2013. Against the Texans, who could forget that sweet pass from Brady down the sidelines and Vereens fantastic hands in talking it.

* Drools on keyboard *

in the slot.

Jesus did you see that deep ball he caught against the texans?
    He's a player.

BB will use him a lot this season. Espaecially early. in big F football leagues he might even be a great sleeper pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

I'm really looking forward to this season. Everybody will have being preparing for the 2TE 2WR 1RB sets the expected the pats to run.

I can see vereen being in the slot more, combine him with two of our massive TE and you could see Ridley have some great run blocking. Then Brady will rip teams apart with some PA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement