Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I actually do prefer it to the flying Elvis but for me, Pat the Patriot is a jinxed logo. Because we were always the nearly men while we had it.

No offense but ye have been the nearly men for the past 8 years :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

HigginsJ wrote: »
    No offense but ye have been the nearly men for the past 8 years :confused:

I was talking about the old Pat the Patriot logo earlier, we never won a SB with that old logo. But we did with the current flying elvis logo. Just some irrational on my part, as you do.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

We've been the best team in the NFL under Belichick. Even with two SB loses it's pretty hard to be frustrated. I'm fairly sure there isn't a period in pats history that even comes close in terms of playoff appearances.

And if I have my history correct, Flying Elvis came in 1993, the same year we drafted Bledsoe and hired Parcells and a couple of years before Kraft bough the team.

Masked Man wrote: »
    Flying Elvis came in 1993, the same year we drafted Bledsoe and hired Parcells and a couple of years before Kraft bough the team.

That's why we can't change it, Pat the Patriot is a cool logo. But the Flying Elvis represents happy times for us. Your history is right and I'm certain Robert bought the team in 1994.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I was talking about the old Pat the Patriot logo earlier, we never a SB with that old logo. But we did with the current flying elvis logo. Just some irrational on my part, as you do.:D

Ah nice to know (although tbf my comment was more mischief than anything ;) )

• Advertisement

Following up on the Pats offer to fans, for a replacement for the Hernandez jersey. I see 1200 jerseys were exchanged on Saturday alone. Reports are suggesting that it could end up costing the Pats about $1 million dollars. But it's a priceless gesture much appreciated by fans. I just wonder will my brother be able to get his jersey, that he got from HitJerseys exchanged by the Pats?

I see the Boston Herald reported that over the weekend, a total of 2500 Hernandez jerseys were exchanged at Gillette. I'd say any fan seen wearing the number 81 next season, would probably be lynched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I see the Boston Herald reported that over the weekend, a total of 2500 Hernandez jerseys were exchanged at Gillette. I'd say any fan seen wearing the number 81 next season, would probably be lynched.

Imagine spending your hard earned bucks on his jersey though, like the game day jersey...i'd be first in line!

BKWDR wrote: »
    Imagine spending your hard earned bucks on his jersey though, like the game day jersey...i'd be first in line!

Totally. My brother might have only paid €25 euro for a good fake, but he had no comeback on it. He rang me this morning and told me he burnt the No. 81 after the barbecue last night.

I think he was still a good draft pick by the pats they got 3 very good years out if him not bad for a 4th rounder

I also don't think this has left a bad mark on the pats as an organisation in the slightest

Pats fans I know the hate is strong right now but if ye could go back would ye draft him again

• Advertisement

Obv draft him again. Way it worked out his new contract is **** but depending on what the pats knew at the time it could still of been a good decision.

Masked Man wrote: »
    Obv draft him again. Way it worked out his new contract is **** but depending on what the pats knew at the time it could still of been a good decision.

They know he had issues at th time it's one of the reasons he dropped as far as I know just like gronk dropped due to back conserns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Is there a Hernandez thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gronkastic

They know he had issues at th time it's one of the reasons he dropped as far as I know just like gronk dropped due to back conserns

I assume you're talking about the drug issues there? Because that's the only issue anyone was aware of at the time. But of course he'd be drafted again, assuming of course that everyone had the same level of ignorance that existed back in 2010.

And wasn't there a specific thread set up to discuss this former player?

Right ye are apologies didn't know it was there and there was a few people talking about the jersey swap do it piqued my interest

It depends on what exactly they knew. He didn't have anymore drug issues and we don't know what they knew about his friends or that he preferred being a gangbanger to a star player in the NFL.

The fact that he got a new contract obviously suggests that they thought there was almost no chance he gets involved in this ****. It's hard to know if they misjudged the situation, didn't know something they should have, or made the right decision with the available info.

Right ye are apologies didn't know it was there and there was a few people talking about the jersey swap do it piqued my interest

Easily done, no bother. You're always a welcome contributor in here. The anger, hurt and betrayal is pretty high amongst a lot Pats fans right now. Personally, I've decided never to use that name again in here.

I was so happy and excited last August with the new contract. But we all swallowed his bullshít words afterwards. Deion Branch his former teammate and neighbour was shocked and gobsmacked. And he regularly called around to him at home even.

Now if the likes of him was totally fooled, then the rest of us had absolutely no chance.

Ah fúck this, is there no end? Reports coming in the Dennard was arrested for suspicion of DUI...

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130711/NEWS/130719884/1707

Ah fúck this, is there no end? Reports coming in the Dennard was arrested for suspicion of DUI...

Wouldn't be to worried about it it seems to happen to a few players every offseason don't think he'll miss much if anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭resdubwhite

Hopefully no one at the jersey swap last week picked up a Dennard shirt.

that'd be just bad luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

This is one of those things that would really piss off any head coach or chairman purely on the basis of not needing it right now.

This is one of those things that would really piss off any head coach or chairman purely on the basis of not needing it right now.

That's true, I was píssed when I heard about it earlier. But I suppose it's a more normal 'activity' from a NFL player, than the 'Sopranos' style hit that happened recently.

Love how Gronk handled some media questions yesterday. That were of course totally unrelated to the book, he was supposed to be originally talking to them about.
    After answering two questions about the book "Growing up Gronk" , Gronkowski was asked a series of questions on recent news surrounding the Patriots and NFL. Here is the quick exchange:

Q: Any reaction on the arrest of your colleague, Alfonzo Dennard?

A: Nah, I got no reaction at all.

Q: What about Aaron Hernandez?

A: I got no reaction at all, just here about the book.

Q: How is your back?

A: I got no reaction about that right now, either.

Q: Looking forward to the season?

A: I can tell you this, I’m in great spirits and I’m enjoying life a lot more. I can tell you that right there.

Q: Does the NFL have a problem with players off the field, getting in trouble?

A: Ask [commissioner] Roger Goodell.

Q: Do you think there is a problem with players off the field?

A: You have to ask Roger. He’s been in the business for a while now, so he’ll know, from when he started to where he is now. Roger that.
    'Roger that' - brilliant stuff Gronk. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

That's true, I was píssed when I heard about it earlier. But I suppose it's a more normal 'activity' from a NFL player, than the 'Sopranos' style hit that happened recently.

I've seen some people in the "mejia" saying he will be cut as a result. That would be a bit of an over-reaction, no?

Tristram wrote: »
    I've seen some people in the "mejia" saying he will be cut as a result. That would be a bit of an over-reaction, no?

Ya I've read similar reports and it would be a total over reaction imo. We all know there's a world of difference between a suspected murderer and a supected DUI case.

Man we can't even have a simple DUI this offseason.
    Dennard's camp says he was not asked to take a blood test and said that he did not "fail" the field sobriety test. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Friday that Dennard attempted to blow for a Breathalyzer at least twice, according to a source who heard specifics of Dennard's side of the incident. That number was believed to be below the legal limit, but his attempts to take the test didn't register because he didn't blow hard enough into the device to officers' qualifications. He was not asked to take a blood test.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217458/article/alfonzo-dennards-side-he-didnt-fail-sobriety-tests

lol at him not blowing hard enough.

If they thought he was drunk, surely then they would have gone for the blood test option. And so he reportedly passed the field sobriety test. Now if he didn't blow hard enough, then the analyser wouldn't have passed him and probably would have given an insufficient sample reading. This was also the town where he had the assault charge thrown at him last year. If anything, it almost looks a bit like police harrassment. Interesting to see how this plays out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

If they thought he was drunk, surely then they would have gone for the blood test option. And so he reportedly passed the field sobriety test. Now if he didn't blow hard enough, then the analyser wouldn't have passed him and probably would have given an insufficient sample reading. This was also the town where he had the assault charge thrown at him last year. If anything, it almost looks a bit like police harrassment. Interesting to see how this plays out.

This is true. If he was unable to provide a sample via the normal 'bag' method then he would be asked to provide a sample at the police station via urine or blood sample if they were of the opinion he was intoxicated. If he refused then he would be arrested AFAIK. But you can't flat out arrest him for not giving an initial sample or being able to give an initial sample.

And funnily, was just going to ask where the incident occurred until your final line!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Is Gronk not allowed to talk about his injury or is that his own decision? Either way it's a little silly to say the least.

And Corv, any journalist worth even an ounce doesn't just focus on the book a given athlete/celeb is trying to shill so I fail to see what your point is. The vast majority of interviews of any kind in entertainment/sports are where someone's trying to sell some spray or perfume or jock strap or book. You have to take your opportunities when they present themselves or you're not doing your job, it's absolutely no different to Gronk going out and giving a half-assed performance on the field in his own career.

I'm sure the journalist had an idea the yawn-some media training would kick into gear when he asked those questions but he had to ask them regardless, it's simple due diligence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Syferus wrote: »
    Is Gronk not allowed to talk about his injury or is that his own decision? Either way it's a little silly to say the least.

And Corv, any journalist worth even an ounce doesn't just focus on the book a given athlete/celeb is trying to shill so I fail to see what your point is. The vast majority of interviews of any kind in entertainment/sports are where someone's trying to sell some spray or perfume or jock strap or book. You have to take your opportunities when they present themselves or you're not doing your job, it's absolutely no different to Gronk going out and giving a half-assed performance on the field in his own career.

I'm sure the journalist had an idea the yawn-some media training would kick into gear when he asked those questions but he had to ask them regardless, it's simple due diligence.

Who cares what journalists do or dont do. They can ask all the questions they want doesn't mean the answer is going to be given The event was about a book not his injury. Gronk is under no obligation to answer any question. Not uncommon for athletes to deflect questions that have no relevance to the event they are attending. He is not the first and wont be the last athlete to do so.

I do find it hilarious that you defend the journalism and call Gronk silly for not answering the question though. As I said not the first wont be the last to avoid or deflect questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement